Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
So I want to pick up my first chronograph. I have read both good and bad about the Chrony, Shooting Chrony and PACT. I have a PACT digital scale that has been really good for several years so I am leaning that way.

One thing that I would really like is a Chrono that can handle my rifles, but also work with archery and possibly ML equipment.

Also, I believe that I should have the readout computer etc. be separate from the sky screens and bullets tend to "destroy" what they are pointed at. So...in an effort to keep replacement costs to a minimum, I would like that type.

What should I look at? I really don't want to spend more than $150ish.

Thanks!
FH

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My vote is for Competetion Electronics for $110. Not fancy it just works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ProChrono Digital with the USB connectivity kit.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use a shooting chrony beta. It's cheap which is good because at some point you or someone else will shoot it. It has a remote readout which is good because at some point you or someone else will shoot it and all you will need is the sensor end which saves some money.

The sabots from the Muzzle loader can kill it. Mine is accurate, at least t matched another chrony when I checked and it reads pretty much everything that goes across it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For the mostpart the shooters chronys are a POS, come-up with the extra cash and buy an Oehler you wont need another chronograph in your lifetime.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Rockchuck, I didn't think the general public could buy an Oehler any more. Read something to that effect while I was researching this site and others. Did I misunderstand that? Who sells the Oehler?

FH

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk
Rockchuck, I didn't think the general public could buy an Oehler any more. Read something to that effect while I was researching this site and others. Did I misunderstand that? Who sells the Oehler?

FH

Oehler has brought the 35P back to production for the public. Google for the website. Cry once, you will be glad you did !

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Wow! $600 ($575 for the kit and $25 shipping) for the Oehler chronograph etc. is quite a lot past my meager budget. I know, I know, you get what you pay for. Just get sad knowing that I really can't spend that kind of dough right now or in the immediate future.

So....is it even worth it to look at the cheaper models? Will they tell me enough about what is happening with my handloads to make good decisions?

If they don't, then it will be several years before I can justify purchasing the Oehler.

Thanks!

FH

Last edited by Fire Hawk; 01/28/13.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Pure BS

LC

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Another ProChrono vote.

Bows to bb guns to HV varmint rounds, it will read them all.

When shooting shotshell or MLer sabots, I shoot w/o screens and place the unit about 3' from the muzzle. Works like a champ.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been happily using a PACT for the last twenty years. Mine has been trouble free. I did send it in earlier this year to have it checked and calibrated simply because it was twenty years old. The current model with the infrared sky screens and the computer interface are nice additions, and an updated bullet library would be nice, so I may replace mine at some point. I paid $200 for mine twenty years ago and the current one with the new features sells for around $270.

My reloading manuals are bookmarked with the little printouts with the statistics and ballistic tables for each cartridge and rifle that I load for. It has helped me to get smarter about hand loading and how to put together accurate loads that perform like I want.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Fire Hawk,

A Chrony works fine. Throw a new battery in it every once in awhile and check it with known loads every now and again.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk
Wow! $600 ($575 for the kit and $25 shipping) for the Oehler chronograph etc. is quite a lot past my meager budget. I know, I know, you get what you pay for. Just get sad knowing that I really can't spend that kind of dough right now or in the immediate future.

So....is it even worth it to look at the cheaper models? Will they tell me enough about what is happening with my handloads to make good decisions?

If they don't, then it will be several years before I can justify purchasing the Oehler.

Thanks!

I started with a Crony Beta Master and still have it. No experience with the others, I am sure that they are fine. I believe the important thing is to have a chronograph, period. I did not realize the Oheler was that expensive ! I bought mine when Oheler closed them out at $225. What ever brand you decide on is certainly better than not having one.

FH

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Fire Hawk,

A Chrony works fine. Throw a new battery in it every once in awhile and check it with known loads every now and again.

Travis

It does pain me so. For once I have to agree with you. grin

Swifty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love you too.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have owned both a Pact and a Shooting chrony betamaster, all I got was errors, bought a pro chrony digital and have never been happier.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
++++ pro chrony

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reliability of getting a good reading with every projectile passed over the ProChrono Digital sets it apart from all the other low priced chronographs IME.
They simply do not miss many readings, quite unlike the SC models I've tried.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only the best for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,571
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.