Home
I thought that some of you would like to see the bullets I've made for my 22 Hornet. They are made from reformed and trimmed 22LR cases. This top pic isn't the best, but you can see what they look like before cleaning.

This is the second bullet I use that is made from RF cases. I also make a 60 grain bullet, which is suitable for 222s and 223s.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These weigh 43 grains and have a standard Hornet profile. My bullet is on the left. A Win 45 grain SP is n the right. Because they are made from rimfire cases, velocity is restricted to no more than 3000-3200 fps - depending on the literature you read. I think it's dependent on the sharpness of the rifling and the rate of twist. For the Hornet though, this is a non-event. I will try them from one of my 222s as well, but will have to stay a grain off maximum I think.

I just got another Walnut Hill bullet press in the mail today and installed it on the far right of my bullet bench. It is the second RCECo press I've bought. They are better than the older Corbin Series II presses IMO. Series II on left.

Please excuse the clutter. I had stuff scattered across the bench when I was mounting the third press.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Been a long time since I heard about this.. A couple friends in past years had bullet swagers (?).. I have never seen the setup to make bullets from rimfire cases.. Read about that years ago also.. Didn't realize the stuff was still available to make them..
There are a few places that sell the dies and equipment. I'm surprised more people don't do it, what with the trouble getting bullets every time there's talk of a government crackdown.

It's pricey to get started, but you're no longer tied to markets, availability or the whims of the government. It's one less thing to worry about when components are scarce.
Years ago, say the late 50's through the 60's and into the 70's, my grandfather made bullets from old .22 short and long/long rifle cases. These were made from the old copper cases, not brass. I still have about half a jar of them. We's cut lead wire and put them in a die. After swagging them, we's remove the top of the die and push the bullet out. Using surplus powder, and these bullets, we could shoot our .22 Hornet or the .22-250, which was a wildcat at the time, cheaper than we could shoot any of the .22 rimfires. We literally shot the barrel out the pre-64, M70 Hornet using these bullets. And killed lots of small game like squirrels with them.
This brings back lots of memories of those great times. E
I believe that's how Speer got his start; waging 22 hulls into jackets.
Vernon Speer and Joyce Hornady both got their start doing this. They worked together for a short time.

It's funny that this part of the hobby has declined in popularity. I realize it's easier to buy bullets, but there's something to be said for making your own. Where I live, we have winter.
I used to buy bullets made like this from MHG in Montana
It is something to consider.. Rather than kicking my .22 brass on the floor of the truck or out the window, I could make bullets.. I have shot a few hand made bullets, but I am not sure if they were made from rimfire hulls.... But the 55 grain hollow points from my .22-250 made crows do beautiful things as they rained back to earth...
That's why Speer started up, if I recall correctly. There was a shortage of copper required to make bullet jackets (WWII), but he noticed thousands of spent 22 cases lying on the ground. Speer got the idea to use rimfire cases and reform them into bullet jackets.

When I was a kid, a couple of guys used to sell them at gun shows at the arena. That wasn't the reason I started reloading, but after I had been reloading for a few years, I went looking for these bullets. I couldn't find any. It wasn't until I was in my forties that I got the equipment.
I think the velocity limitation keeps them from being more popular.
I looked into making bullets that could stand a little more velocity. But, you can about buy finished commercial bullets for the price of the jackets alone.
That's the likely scenario. I don't know how many people own 22-250s or similar, but bullets made from RF cases aren't suitable for this group. You have to load them down to 3200 fps.

The 223 Remington is arguably the most popular .224. With 60 grain bullets, 3200 fps is about the max to which you can load them. I've shot 60s made from RF cases for years from a 223. Because the bullets are shorter over all, 60s also work quite well from my 222s, but the 222 isn't as popular as it once was.

For the 22 Hornet, 222, 223 and 221FB, bullets made from RF cases are a great way to beat the bullet shortages.

I get buckets of spent cases like this. They are mostly Eley, Lapua and SK. I sort and clean them before making them into jackets. One bucket has approx. 45000 cases in it.

I'm not sure how many useful jackets are made from one bucket - my estimate is about 35000 - but I have seven buckets in my shop.

[Linked Image]

These are the 60 grainers. The line represents where the core sits in relation to the jacket. It's an open tip. The jacket collapses upon entry into game (coyotes) and you have a blunt tip that does the damage.

[Linked Image]
The 223 is popular, but so are fast twist 223 barrels.

I've found there are 2 kinds of fast twist 223 barrels - those that shred fragile bullets and those that will shred fragile bullets. grin

That is neat Steve, and I'd still like to do it. I DO have a 12 twist 223 sitting around. Thanks for sharing the info. I thought Corbin was the only game in town for this stuff.
To the best of my knowledge, there are three places that market a 22RF jacket die - corbins.com, rceco.com and someone over at castboolits.com.

Prices and availability vary.
IIRC preceding the Corbin was Smith or SAS in Oregon. Coos Bay, maybe.
I think I still have one of his presses and dies somewhere.
Yes, Dave and Richard Corbin got their start from spending time with Ted Smith. In fact, I believe that Smith sold his stuff to the Corbins. He was older and not in the best health.

Corbins.com is owned by Dave Corbin. rceco.com is owned by his brother Richard. The two split a number of years ago. I do not know why, but it's reasonable to assume it was about differences in how the business was run.
Steve,
I think that's pretty damn cool, I apologize for what seems an ignorant question but, do you think your 60's would splash well inside coyotes or bobcats and not have many exits if they were being shot at reduced load levels in a 1/14 twist 22-250? I'm fiddling around with loads at Hornet and triple deuce up to light .223 vels for hunting loads over a Foxpro at 50 to 100 yds. Hence the question.
Thanks,
BD

I think so. I haven't fired them from a 22-250, but based on what the die manufacturer and others have said, I believe this would be the case.

Because the jacket is so thin, the bullets tend to disintegrate if pushed too fast. At speeds of less than 3000 fps, they mushroom quite well.
Thanks Steve,
That's good to know, with powder shortages such as they are and given what I'm doing, I have found some load recommendations using 15gr. of Blue Dot and another using 35gr. of 3031 that may work. Ken Waters data using IMR 4227 is good though I'm out of it now and currently there's none to be had in my locale.
Are you selling any of your bullets, I'd like to give some a go on western song dogs and cats over my e-caller this winter.
Any other powder/ load suggestions to keep velocities well below 3k are welcome too.
Thanks again,
BD
I don't have plans to sell any at this time. Some friends say I should consider it, but it's summer, I teach at a military technical school, and it's hard to find the time. That, and at the end of the day, I've got no energy left. I want to transition from full time to part time, so bulletmaking might be a convenient way to do it.

I used to market .313/.314 bullets for the 303 British, but there was next to no interest. It's funny, but a few years after I stopped making them, I started getting inquiries, but the interest still isn't there.

WRT load recipes, I'll have something up at the end of the summer at my site.
I envy you your ability to do this. One question that always popped into my head during discussions of this topic is: Do the 'hard' brass RF jackets cause more barrel wear than the home made bullets from a generation or two back? That is, back then those guys were using copper RF cases to make their bullets, which is softer. I remember reading in an old publication (C.S.Landis perhaps?) a warning to home bullet makers to steer clear of brass cases for this purpose and stick with copper cases. Just wondering if that is a valid concern.
There used to be a concern about the amount of zinc in the alloy. It was felt that perhaps the zinc would wear out the barrel. I'm not a metalurgist, but from everything I've read, that proved to be unfounded. Zinc actually lubricates. Millions of rimfire jacketed bullets have gone down range since this story was first floated, and no evidence has ever been presented that RF jacketed bullets wear any more than conventional bullet jackets.

Todays RF jackets are 70/30 - 70% copper, 30% zinc. This alloy is softer than the barrel steel. The alloy is clean and not contaminated.

Many years ago (before WWII), there was a concern about rimfire cases being fashioned into bullet jackets. They were worried that corrosive priming compunds would contaminate and ruin gun barrels. That's not a concern these days and hasn't been for many, many years.
22 WMR cases are a little thicker than 22RF cases. Anyone making bullets out of those?
Not too many people do. I think it's because they cannot get enough cases. Most guys that can make bullets don't want to put out the money for the equipment and only process 100 or 200 bullets every six months.

Of course, if you and your friends are shooting them, or the range is littered with 22WMR cases, it can make the expenditure worthwhile.
Steve, this is just way cool, have you shot any of these yet?

It looks like the firing pin indentation is almost completely ironed out, unlike pictures I've seen of Vernon Speer's early bullets.
Those bullets look great Steve - good job smile cool
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Steve, this is just way cool, have you shot any of these yet?

It looks like the firing pin indentation is almost completely ironed out, unlike pictures I've seen of Vernon Speer's early bullets.

I've been making bullets made from RF cases for about ten years and have shot a pile of them from my 222s, 22 Hornets and a 223.

I sort them by headstamp and cull all the damaged cases. I also clean the brass several times to remove any grit. These shoot as well as any commercial bullet made by Speer or Hornady.
I make and shoot 6mm bullets from 22 magnum and 17 HMR brass. I prefer the 17 HMR brass because they are easier to sort. I have shot the best group I ever shot with bullets I made and have been surprised at the accuracy of these home made bullets. I would recommend this to anyone who thinks he might want to do it. The initial outlay will be 1000.00 but after that every bullet you make brings the cost down.
Regards Bill
Think you could a little more velocity out of em by moly coating em?
Try some using 22 short cases. When I get home I will try to remember to post some pictures.

I had the Corbin setup but traded it years ago to another Campfire member. made 224 and 458 bullets.
Originally Posted by Tom264
Think you could a little more velocity out of em by moly coating em?

I imagine you could, but personally, I won't bother. I'm happy with how they run now. The 43s manage 2780 fps. The 60s, shot from my 223, do 3100+ fps. The larger bullets are made for the 222 & 223 Rem.

Originally Posted by Scott F
Try some using 22 short cases. When I get home I will try to remember to post some pictures.

I had the Corbin setup but traded it years ago to another Campfire member. made 224 and 458 bullets.

Yes, I get some 22 short cases. I took the measurement from them, so I could trim the LR cases to the right length for the lighter bullets. I don't get enough 22 short cases, so I make my own.

I got lucky and came up with about ten pounds of them.
© 24hourcampfire