Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
There used to be a concern about the amount of zinc in the alloy. It was felt that perhaps the zinc would wear out the barrel. I'm not a metalurgist, but from everything I've read, that proved to be unfounded. Zinc actually lubricates. Millions of rimfire jacketed bullets have gone down range since this story was first floated, and no evidence has ever been presented that RF jacketed bullets wear any more than conventional bullet jackets.

Todays RF jackets are 70/30 - 70% copper, 30% zinc. This alloy is softer than the barrel steel. The alloy is clean and not contaminated.

Many years ago (before WWII), there was a concern about rimfire cases being fashioned into bullet jackets. They were worried that corrosive priming compunds would contaminate and ruin gun barrels. That's not a concern these days and hasn't been for many, many years.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22 WMR cases are a little thicker than 22RF cases. Anyone making bullets out of those?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not too many people do. I think it's because they cannot get enough cases. Most guys that can make bullets don't want to put out the money for the equipment and only process 100 or 200 bullets every six months.

Of course, if you and your friends are shooting them, or the range is littered with 22WMR cases, it can make the expenditure worthwhile.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Steve, this is just way cool, have you shot any of these yet?

It looks like the firing pin indentation is almost completely ironed out, unlike pictures I've seen of Vernon Speer's early bullets.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those bullets look great Steve - good job smile cool

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Steve, this is just way cool, have you shot any of these yet?

It looks like the firing pin indentation is almost completely ironed out, unlike pictures I've seen of Vernon Speer's early bullets.

I've been making bullets made from RF cases for about ten years and have shot a pile of them from my 222s, 22 Hornets and a 223.

I sort them by headstamp and cull all the damaged cases. I also clean the brass several times to remove any grit. These shoot as well as any commercial bullet made by Speer or Hornady.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

I make and shoot 6mm bullets from 22 magnum and 17 HMR brass. I prefer the 17 HMR brass because they are easier to sort. I have shot the best group I ever shot with bullets I made and have been surprised at the accuracy of these home made bullets. I would recommend this to anyone who thinks he might want to do it. The initial outlay will be 1000.00 but after that every bullet you make brings the cost down.
Regards Bill

Patron member of NRA, Life Member TSRA,HGCA, Founders club Whittington Center, Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Think you could a little more velocity out of em by moly coating em?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Try some using 22 short cases. When I get home I will try to remember to post some pictures.

I had the Corbin setup but traded it years ago to another Campfire member. made 224 and 458 bullets.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Tom264
Think you could a little more velocity out of em by moly coating em?

I imagine you could, but personally, I won't bother. I'm happy with how they run now. The 43s manage 2780 fps. The 60s, shot from my 223, do 3100+ fps. The larger bullets are made for the 222 & 223 Rem.

Originally Posted by Scott F
Try some using 22 short cases. When I get home I will try to remember to post some pictures.

I had the Corbin setup but traded it years ago to another Campfire member. made 224 and 458 bullets.

Yes, I get some 22 short cases. I took the measurement from them, so I could trim the LR cases to the right length for the lighter bullets. I don't get enough 22 short cases, so I make my own.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I got lucky and came up with about ten pounds of them.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (5sdad, Akhutr, 673, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 1minute, 14 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,866
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.