Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
Anyone running this caliber? Saw a custom rifle at DSC last week and it looks like it would be a great offering for longer, heavier pills.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
Some guys over on the Hide were, last time I saw it mentioned. GA Precision rifle
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
Lots of people shoot a 22-250AI. More alike than different. Creed has a 30* shoulder not 40
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
what Kaleb said, It is a 22-250 AI with a different shoulder angle.

However you slice it its an excellent big 22 bullet launcher though
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
Yes and it seems 30* is what the new stuff is. I bet it would be a dandy chambering
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
Isn't the Creedmoor parent brass the 30T/C?
Posted By: deflave Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
Creeds are based on the .250 Savage case.

The idea of necking it down to .224 makes as munch sense as the 22-.204.

Travis
Posted By: NTG Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
FWIW, Mr. Muledeer himself has made 6.5 creed cases out of 22-250 brass...so yup, a 22-250AI for all intents and purposes.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
What you have here is your basic reinvention of the wheel.

I can see Ruger and Hornady introducing this as some sort of "revolutionary new cartridge", mated to 8 twist rifles. Which would probably sell better than trying to market 8 twist 22-250s.

It's like when a new girl shows up in town and everybody has to go after her, despite her saggy, wrinkled, used up body which looks and works just like the rest of the bar hags in town....she's new, so she's different.

The old 22-250 guys don't want or see much advantage in a new 22-250 just because it's a quick twist, just like they don't wanna go after Helga again just because she squeezed into a pair of size 14 jeans. They've been there, done that when she fit into size 20s and got it out of their system. The old boys wanna try out the new gal, missing teeth be damned.
Posted By: deflave Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
I like old hags and the 22-250.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a .270-06 to build.

Dave
Posted By: NTG Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/14/16
Make it a 22-06 for me!
Posted By: deflave Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/15/16
That would be nice.

As long as it has a 29 degree shoulder and not a 30. You'd be an idiot to go 30.

Dave
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/15/16
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

It's like when a new girl shows up in town and everybody has to go after her, despite her saggy, wrinkled, used up body which looks and works just like the rest of the bar hags in town....she's new, so she's different.

The old 22-250 guys don't want or see much advantage in a new 22-250 just because it's a quick twist, just like they don't wanna go after Helga again just because she squeezed into a pair of size 14 jeans. They've been there, done that when she fit into size 20s and got it out of their system. The old boys wanna try out the new gal, missing teeth be damned.

No one gives a damn about your life history.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/15/16
Gee Blue,

That was a little uncalled for....

P.G. was just funnin a little...

Gotta possess a sense of humor to survive on the Campfire, or it'll just drive ya nuts...and you'll leave all cranky etc...

Minus Flavs, Shrapnels or Ingwe's posts... ya shouldn't take many others overly serious...( to include this one...)

oh, and Schticks... he's a God by Alaskan Standards....even if he is really an Alaskan Leprechaun...
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/15/16
Haha, yeah I do my best to stay away from the ladies mentioned in my previous post!

Getting back to the subject, the 22-250 is just fine as is. When chambered in correctly twisted rifles, it's even better! If the 22 Creedmoor is ever standardized by SAAMI, it won't be because it fills any kind of necessary niche, it will be for marketing reasons. Correctly twisted 22-250s would fill the same role as the Creedmoor.
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/15/16
Originally Posted by Seafire
Gee Blue,

Gotta possess a sense of humor to survive on the Campfire, or it'll just drive ya nuts

What do you think I was doin'? No sense of humor Sea?
Posted By: deflave Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/15/16
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Haha, yeah I do my best to stay away from the ladies mentioned in my previous post!

Getting back to the subject, the 22-250 is just fine as is. When chambered in correctly twisted rifles, it's even better! If the 22 Creedmoor is ever standardized by SAAMI, it won't be because it fills any kind of necessary niche, it will be for marketing reasons. Correctly twisted 22-250s would fill the same role as the Creedmoor.

8" 22-250's are the UBER'est of the UBE.

.223's are a close second. And sometimes tied for 1st. Depending on what you want.

Dave
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/15/16
Agreed!!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/15/16
I hope that they standardize the 22 Creed with an 8 or even 7 twist, then market it through Ruger.

Wouldn't you be able to shoot 22-250 factory ammo in it to "fireform" and then be good to go?
Posted By: Seafire Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/15/16
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by Seafire
Gee Blue,

Gotta possess a sense of humor to survive on the Campfire, or it'll just drive ya nuts

What do you think I was doin'? No sense of humor Sea?

sure I do...

was just testing ya...

You passed... grin

Good job...
Posted By: shoots4fun Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/17/16
NEWS FLASH:
A complete lineup of "Creed" rounds will take the world by storm and make all the antiques totally obsolete.
Just as the 30TC took the world by storm and put those old standbys, 30-06 and 308, in the closet with your rebel flag.
The 243 and even those young "upstarts" like the 7MM08 and 260 Remington are headed out to pasture as well.
The future is here! One case, "The Creed" in yur reloading stash can be necked down or necked up for all your shootin' iron feed!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/17/16
I read on the Internet that the .29 Creedmoor will be the next factory version.
Posted By: Gadfly Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/17/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I read on the Internet that the .29 Creedmoor will be the next factory version.

I'm afraid the Italians beat them to the market several decades ago with the 7.35 (.299) x51 Carcano. How did that psalm go: What was once will be again and there is nothing new under the sun.
Posted By: Nrut Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/17/16
Originally Posted by shoots4fun
NEWS FLASH:
A complete lineup of "Creed" rounds will take the world by storm and make all the antiques totally obsolete.
Just as the 30TC took the world by storm and put those old standbys, 30-06 and 308, in the closet with your rebel flag.
The 243 and even those young "upstarts" like the 7MM08 and 260 Remington are headed out to pasture as well.
The future is here! One case, "The Creed" in yur reloading stash can be necked down or necked up for all your shootin' iron feed!

I wish..
Least wise I wish Ruger would chamber their RAR in a 6mm Creed and a .22 Creed with 1:8 twist barrels..
Stainless!
Have one of their RA Predators in 6.5 Creed and it shots great!
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/18/16
A friend made a good point lastnight about the 22creed vs 22-250. We were discussing the 6.5 creed and how it's cool for non hand loaders to be able to shoot high BC bullets if they so choose. As handloaders we'd like to see 8 twist 22-250's but they'd need to be able to support it with factory ammo. It would be hard to make people understand why 75's keyhole in their slow twist barrels......

So not that's it's better worse or about the same but it would be a different chambering all together and factory loaded 75 amax or bthp's could be had. Same same for the 6creed(which I shoot now)
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/18/16
Actually, the more I think about it the more a 22 Creedmoor makes sense.

I know a few of the 'makers' have been skeered to do anything but a 1-14" twist for the 22/250 because of Saami, it's always been that way, etc etc.

If the come out with the 22 Creedmoor and start it off with a 1-8" twist to begin with, all is golden.

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/18/16
That might indeed be a deal changer.

The .223 WSSM might still be alive if the barrels bad been 1-8 instead of 1-10.
Posted By: shoots4fun Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/18/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That might indeed be a deal changer.

The .223 WSSM might still be alive if the barrels bad been 1-8 instead of 1-10.

In all seriousness, I do own both 6.5 and 6 versions of the Creedmoor and enjoy them very much. John, I think you may have hit the nail on the head with your assessment. It seems ammo manufacturers keep introducing new cartridges to "replace" the tried and true instead of compliment them. I have to admit the idea of a fast twist mated to a 22-250 has had my eye for quite some time. So much so that I have added a Savage LRPV with 1 in 9 twist to my safe. It can handle the 77SMK with H4350 and shots the 55 Vmax Hornady pretty dang good too. Pretty versatile I think.
So, bring on the 22 Creedmoor and "do the twist"!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/18/16
I think part of the Creed success was the availability of top grade ammo.

If they bring out an 8 twist .22 Creed and produce target grade ammo with 75 gr. Amax, etc. they'll have another winner.

Everyone isn't a handloader. I have an 8 twist .22-250, don't need a .22 Creed.

DF
Well it looks like we're all saying the same thing here so we agree their is merit in the creed line ip
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/18/16
Which means if it does come out it will be twisted 1-12"
Be a shame but I wouldn't doubt it. Or out a cock block in it restricting coal....
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/18/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Which means if it does come out it will be twisted 1-12"

Don't ya think those guys read Fire posts... shocked

Otherwise, how could they know anything... blush

Seriously, a SAAMI spec'ed 8 twist .22 Creedmoor would knock it out of the park.

It's the total marketing concept: High grade ammo, reasonably priced, high B.C. bullets, great LR performance, the right rifles so chambered.

Varmint hunters, deer/hog/pronghorn hunters, non-loony gun lovers who don't reload will appreciate ready made, proven performance right off the shelf, not too unlike LR target shooters who went for the 6.5 Creedmoor concept.

It should just about market itself. The secret, IMO, is in the total package, the total performance package all ready to go, which becomes the total marketing package.

I can just see those ads... smile

DF
Posted By: HawkI Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/18/16
The ones that do reload will have to endure Hornady's poor effort of making an even worse version of LEE dies...
Posted By: Nrut Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/19/16
I have no problems making straight ammo using Hornady dies..
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 01/19/16
Redding is my favorite overall, but I like Hornady dies, especially their seaters.

The Lee Collet neck sizer along with a good body die is a hard to beat combo for concentric ammo.

Guess you gotta pick and choose.

DF
Posted By: Ozarker Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/01/16
Actually, the more I think about it the more a 22 Creedmoor makes sense.

I know a few of the 'makers' have been skeered to do anything but a 1-14" twist for the 22/250 because of Saami, it's always been that way, etc etc.

If the come out with the 22 Creedmoor and start it off with a 1-8" twist to begin with, all is golden.

This!

Plus 22-250 AI performance without the fire form
Posted By: jstevens Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/10/16
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Yes and it seems 30* is what the new stuff is. I bet it would be a dandy chambering

The 30 degree shoulder is what I like, for one thing it feeds a little smoother than the traditional AI 40 degree shoulder.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/11/16
I'll wait for the .257 Creedmore. Won't that be revolutionary?!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/11/16
So its decided the barrel choice is 8" twist if possible?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/11/16
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
So its decided the barrel choice is 8" twist if possible?

Yep, that's our collective decision.

Now, to send a link to Hornady... cool

DF
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/11/16
I have a LH Hawkeye in 243 that I might look at re barreling to 22 CM. Thoughts?
Posted By: kingston Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/11/16
I'm confused as to the advantage of the whole family of .30 TC based cartridges over those from the 308 Win case.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/12/16
Skookum magazine fit
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/12/16
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm confused as to the advantage of the whole family of .30 TC based cartridges over those from the 308 Win case.

The way I understand it is although the capacity is about the same, the overall length of the brass is somewhat shorter and that allows for longer bullets to be seated out farther without exceeding the 2.8" length magazine.
In short, SKOOKUM magazine fit.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/12/16

Yep.

But, with a .22 CM, that may not be as critical as with the 6.5 CM. Those 6.5 bullets are a lot longer than even the longest .224's.

I think the clincher for a .22 CM would be 8 twist, as we've discussed and the quality of OTC ammo, much like the 6.5 CM concept.

It's the total package that sells, as I noted earlier. And, with the right rifles on dealer's shelves, I think it would go over well.

As with most stuff, it's all about marketing. And, this round would be an easy one to tout, as those of us who shoot fast twist .224's already know.

DF
The fear of twist is great with many gun makers.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/12/16
The fear of twist is great with many gun makers.

With a new round and new SAAMI specs, start with 8 twist like Nosler did with the 8 twist 26 Nosler and 9 twist 28 Nosler.

That way, it's not like rolling out an 8 twist .22-250 with its long twist history and legacy.

New round, new twist, new specs.

Long, heavy for caliber projectiles will make it essentially a new round, so similar to the .22-250, yet so different...

DF
That's why it will never work, it makes sense.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/12/16
Lol....we said all this same chit in January.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/12/16

Laffin.....it seems some just like being long winded I guess. If a sentence will do no reason for 3 paragraphs.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/13/16
does the barrel need to be longer than 22"?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/13/16
If I was marketing that concept, I'd be thinking about light, packing rifles and heavier Varmint types.

Barrel lengths should be dictated by the style rifle being offered.

DF
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/13/16
Kimber should do the 22 Creedmoor and call it something with "Kimber" in the name. Then they'd have their own success story.

If I were starting the project from scratch, I'd go with a 7 twist right outta the gate. Good bullets are only getting longer now and into the future.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Beyond revolutionary, it would be souper!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

And how about a catchy name, like the 25 Souper!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/14/16

Catchy name, but wrong case.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 22 Creedmoor - 02/14/16

Catchy name, but wrong case.

just a small technical detail... smile
© 24hourcampfire