Home
I purchased this rifle new in 2002 and upgraded the plain stock to a red-pad Hawkeye stock ordered new from Ruger. Like my Remington .223 I just sold on here, I skim-bedded a piece of a business card to free-float the forend, and tweaked the trigger. Among the photos is a group with 75-grain Sierra hollow points and Ramshot Big Game with 5 shots in 0.60 inches at 100 yards. Rifle is $1100 shipped from my FFL to your FFL, funds to be certified check or money order. First "I'll take it" here followed by a PM to arrange payment gets it. Scope is not included, but I will include the original Ruger medium rings. This is a very nice, clean rifle in very good condition with low round count, but I am downsizing for retirement. Send me a PM and I can text more photos. Thanks for looking.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shouldnt last long!
Thanks Jgotro. Couple more photos:

nice
One more photo:

Another favorite load is Hodgdon Hybrid 100V and 100-grain bullets. This is 5 shots at 500 yards resting over my range bag on the hood of a pickup, and using the bottom "picket post" of my duplex crosshair as an aimpoint:

Nice 257
Thanks Davidwc.
Sunday
Just curios, you bought the rifle new in 2002 but the date, as I see , on the test target is 5/1/18 explanation?
Originally Posted by Mohall57
Just curios, you bought the rifle new in 2002 but the date, as I see , on the test target is 5/1/18 explanation?

Are you implying that the test target in question came from ruger? I can tell you it did not, as they do not shoot that well from the factory.
Great gun and caliber. Tempting.
I ‘am not implying anything buddy, just wondering how that target could have been shot by you 5/1/18 when you didn’t buy the rifle until 2002. Not trying to be a wise ass either, that’s a damn nice rifle and I don’t doubt it shoots well. Since Ruger started to make their own barrels,in the late 90’s if I’am not mistaken, most all the 77 Hawkeye shot well. I have owned a few myself. In addition I’am a great fan of the roberts, have had at least one all my adult life, presently have two a Remington 700 classic on the long action, that allows me to seat the 120 grain nosler out a little further just off the lands and with a hot load of H4831sc it’s a wonderful antelope and deer cartridge. My other roberts is a kimber hunter I use foe coyotes nearly exclusively, shooting that same 75 grain Sierra , and surprisingly a hot load of H380 shoots like a house afire and really does a number on those yotes, without damaging pelts if you center mass them ahead of the diagram. Also have a 257AI on a FN action and Lila barrel, now that’s a smoker, have taken elk and caribou and big mule deer with, problem is noe at 85yearsvoldnits a little heart to tote up them hills. And by the way that rifle should move soon, I would jump on it if I were #1 a little younger and#2 didn’t have too many 25’s already. Good hunting and good luck on that roberts. Don
I ‘am not implying anything buddy, just wondering how that target could have been shot by you 5/1/18 when you didn’t buy the rifle until 2002. Not trying to be a wise ass either, that’s a damn nice rifle and I don’t doubt it shoots well. Since Ruger started to make their own barrels,in the late 90’s if I’am not mistaken, most all the 77 Hawkeye shot well. I have owned a few myself. In addition I’am a great fan of the roberts, have had at least one all my adult life, presently have two a Remington 700 classic on the long action, that allows me to seat the 120 grain nosler out a little further just off the lands and with a hot load of H4831sc it’s a wonderful antelope and deer cartridge. My other roberts is a kimber hunter I use foe coyotes nearly exclusively, shooting that same 75 grain Sierra , and surprisingly a hot load of H380 shoots like a house afire and really does a number on those yotes, without damaging pelts if you center mass them ahead of the diagram. Also have a 257AI on a FN action and Lila barrel, now that’s a smoker, have taken elk and caribou and big mule deer with, problem is noe at 85yearsvoldnits a little heart to tote up them hills. And by the way that rifle should move soon, I would jump on it if I were #1 a little younger and#2 didn’t have too many 25’s already. Good hunting and good luck on that roberts. Don

He bought it in 2002 and the target is from 2018 (16 years later), makes sense year-wise to me.
"target shot by you 5/1/18 when you didn't buy the rifle until 2002" think......think really hard.
mighty fine rifle that has all the proper work done IMHO, little extra bickering will help draw attention, GLWS sir.
Nice Bob! If I didn’t already have a 76 tanger in Bob, I’d consider this one. (No target misunderstanding here) 😎. GLWS

I'll have whatever he had in his coffee this morning!!!

Are you related to Paul Barnyard?
Originally Posted by duckhunter175

Right?
Posted By: 35 Re: WTS Ruger 77 MKII .257 Roberts - 01/14/24
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Originally Posted by duckhunter175

Right?

There has to be a blonde joke in here somewhere !! smile
Originally Posted by Roddy1993
"target shot by you 5/1/18 when you didn't buy the rifle until 2002" think......think really hard.

The target was clearly shot in 1918... what's wrong with you guys?!
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

I've been had.
Wow.

He was fooling with us, checking our math skills

Damn nice rifle. I’m ready to downsize also.
🤔 Nice Ruger , GLWS
Boy, I saw all the replies and figured I was missing an auction.

This is even better.

Glws
I can't believe it's still here.
Beautiful and excellent rifle….bump
Monday
Price drop $1075.
Nearly 2,000 views and no one needs a classic tackdriving sporter? Got to move this. $1050 shipped.
I see you are downsizing in retirement(me too) but this is nice. Any trade interests?
Sorry, but not interested in any trades. Thanks for looking.
tempting, nice rifle
Thanks killerv. I found some more targets, these fired TEN YEARS AFTER I purchased the rifle. All I've ever used it for is shooting groups every two or three years, but none in the last six. Hence, time for it to go. Round count is below 200, so bore has plenty of life left for groups like these. Again, thanks for looking.

This will make someone a very good hunting rifle for life if they don’t already have one!
JustLucky,

I never had a chance to hunt with it, thus it needs to go to a good home!
Someone needs this! Up.
Lust is the best way to describe the way this rifle makes me feel.
To the top for the evening crowd. Someone needs this . . .
How far have you shot it accurately?
Just Lucky,

I have not shot this rifle very much, less than 200 rounds in 22 years, but did shoot it at 500 yards one time from an improvised rest and clanged a steel torso target with 5 out of shots, using a guestimated holdover. I had set up the target for a different rifle, but decided to try the .257 to see how it would do and it pleasantly surprised me.
Price drop $1025 shipped.
This rifle is searching for just the right buyer . . .
Lasted days longer than I figured it would.

Wish it were a tanger !
Up for the evening crowd.
Now who can argue with that? BTW..Very Very Nice Rifle! GLWS
Thanks GA!
Over 3300 views, but no takers. Thanks for looking everyone. Let's try one more time . . .
$1000 shipped.
up
$950 shipped. Someone needs this . . .
Someone needing a main gun for every thing except bear, moose, elk maybe would be very pleased with a 257. It would be a gun/caliber that would start a conversation around any hunting campfire.

The wood is prettier than I need, but it is tempting!
Free bump
Bump for a Beauty!!!
Tag
How is this still here? If I didn't already have Bob's in a 722 and a 77RL I'd be all over this.
You can’t be a true rifle looney if you haven’t at least danced with the Roberts. It’s a solid rifle and even with the 22” barrel I was able to reach 3200fps with the 100-grain Nosler BT with excellent accuracy. Nothing in Central Ohio to use it on unfortunately. I have better groundhog rifles.

This is built on Ruger’s long action.
Up
$900 shipped.
Please, someone buy this, temptation is killing me!!!
ttt
Up
Price drop--$850 shipped
Up
I will take it.
Sending pm
SPF to stikshooter. Thanks all for looking.
Congrats!
Congrats on a great gun. This caliber will do it with style. Enjoy!!
I just couldn't cheat on my 722. It shoots great and dear friend did a custom walnut stock for me.
I almost grabbed it, but I knew I wouldn’t use it over my
Rem 700. Great gun and great buy!
WHAT`S GOING ON I SAID BEFORE TWICE ON THE p.m.`s I WOULD TAKE THE RIFLE FOR $850.00 .THIS IS DOWN RIGHT DIRTY! Pete53 i think i should get this rifle i was first !!!!!
It’s simple to follow the sellers instructions if you want to purchase Pete . Dense crowd on this one. Hell of a buy stikshooter.
TTT I FEEL THIS WAS A DIRTY DEAL !
Originally Posted by pete53
WHAT`S GOING ON I SAID BEFORE TWICE ON THE p.m.`s I WOULD TAKE THE RIFLE FOR $850.00 .THIS IS DOWN RIGHT DIRTY! Pete53 i think i should get this rifle i was first !!!!!
You’re joking, right?
Clearly says in the ops sale ad post I’ll take here followed by pm.
Clearly this deal was bound to skid sideways from the start. Seller obviously snacks on bullets and coffee creamer(and maybe the occasional blast of hornet spray) and shoots a rifle not made yet 106 years ago. He then proceeds to bump and price drop it for two weeks, with many ooh’s and ahh’s along the way, until it hits the magic number…only to be dogpiled by a buyer who clearly missed the directions for attempt to purchase…that were there for the same two weeks. Still scratching my head! Props to shootAI. All I can say is WOW!!! 🤯
i p.m . him before he lowered price and i p.m. him i would take the rifle for $850.00 and he p.m.`d me that he would never sell the rifle for $850.00 and few days later he ignores me and sells the rifle for $850.00 what a liar. i bet he feels so good being a real snake. man up coward ! Pete53
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

^^^this here

“Rifle is $1100 shipped from my FFL to your FFL, funds to be certified check or money order. First "I'll take it" here followed by a PM to arrange payment gets it.”

Not too difficult!
i p.m . him before he lowered price and i p.m. him i would take the rifle for $850.00 and he p.m.`d me that he would never sell the rifle for $850.00 and few days later he ignores me and sells the rifle for $850.00 what a liar. i bet he feels so good being a real snake. man up coward ! Pete53
It’s probably best at this point to put this behind you and move on.
I use the ignore function to know who to never deal with on here. The OP does not get to join my list….

He has no obligation to sell it to you. You made an offer he rejected, he later decided to sell it for the same price you offered him. There was no agreement, no contract. He’s not obligated to give you first dibs at $850. Nothing dirty was done here, you’re just sour that you didn’t get your way and are now throwing a tantrum. Grow up and be an adult.
its the gift that keeps on giving
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

Probably shot out...that cordites some bad chit.
I didn’t read all of this. Did rifle sell?
Originally Posted by hanco
I didn’t read all of this. Did rifle sell?

Better make an offer on it quick!
well its over the seller is a liar and a coward .
well its over the seller is a liar and a coward .
😂😂😂
Pete:

I disagree. I am neither a liar, a coward, nor a snake; I am, however, a lawyer. A valid contract require three elements: an offer, an acceptance, and consideration. The consideration in this case is straightforward--the exchange of goods for payment.

Since I am the one with the rifle, it was my prerogative to set the terms for the sale, which I did in my original post. I made an offer by saying I will sell my rifle for X. If a buyer wanted to make a contract with me, they could indicate their acceptance by saying "I'll take it" in a reply post. At that point there is a contract, and we would move the sale to PM's to make arrangements for payment. That's as fair and transparent as I can make it.

When an offer is rejected, it is no longer an offer. When I posted that I would sell for $1100, and you PM'd me that you would pay $850, that was a counteroffer. A counteroffer is legally a rejection of the offer, and is now a new offer. I rejected your offer, thereby leaving no offer on the table. Under the terms of the sale, I would be the one making the offers--but on the main thread.

As it turned out, my posting lasted over a week, and even though I had thousands of views, I had to lower the price several times to find a willing buyer. This is what the law calls a good-faith, arms-length transaction. That's how markets work.

By the terms of my sale, my intention was to sell my rifle on the open market that would include myself and upwards of 6,000 potential buyers. Your apparent intention was to try to buy the rifle on a closed market involving just two people. In the world of contract law, those are very different terms. Your unsolicited, brusk, and at-the-time bad faith lowball offer did not reserve any special place in line for you. If you wanted to buy it, you had to buy it on the main thread, where everyone on the forum had the same chance on the same terms. So, contrary to your allegations, I actually stuck to my original terms. You were the one that tried to modify them.

For everyone else on the thread, thank you again for looking. I had over 6,000 views and many kind words of encouragement. It's been wonderful dealing with you, despite the drama.

This will be my only reply. The thread has already been bumped to the top too many times. The Classified board should be reserved as a marketplace. So, let's move on.
Well said and played 👍
but most lawyers including yourself don`t know what the word honest is anymore . read a bible maybe someday you will understand the word honest . Pete53
but most lawyers including yourself don`t know what the word honest is anymore . read a bible maybe someday you will understand the word honest . Pete53
What was dishonest?
Appears this is going nowhere…. Seller seems to have handled it well.
The classifieds are turning into the hunters section of this forum...kind of sad
© 24hourcampfire