Home
I bought one of the now infamous L/A Ti's from Numrich's. Great deals (thanks for the tip himmelrr). I decided I wanted one of the SAUM's instead. A guy here wanted to trade, so I took him up on it. My concerns.

1. A few days went by before he confirmed. No big deal. He said he was out of town.

2. He said he was sending his out, so I sent mine out. It's been almost 10 days, and still no stock from him. Mine got there via USPS in two days.

3. I sent him multiple PM's and phone messages. Nothing returned.

4. I called him yesterday and he answered. I told him who I was and he fumbled for an explanation, stating he had been out of town again.

5. I persisted somewhat, and he said it had been sent out two Fridays ago...the same day he said he was sending it. When I asked how, he said he couldn't remember if it was USPS or UPS.

6. I asked him for a tracking number (I sent mine with insurance and delivery confirmation as a courtesy). He said he couldn't get that for me until his kid returned with his truck as they were in his console. He said he would call when his kid returned. I've not heard word one back, and I have yet again left messages via PM, phone, and email.

As far as I'm concerned, this guy is a f'n flake at best, and a thief at worst. A simple "sorry, I f'd up and will send your stock out right away" would be an acceptable response. I'd be more than ok with that! Hey, [bleep] happens. [bleep] has happened to me, and I've always gone out of my way to communicate! However, this dude hasn't followed thru on any of his commitments, and he has my stock to boot.

How hard is it to send a quick note or drop a quick line? I've always believed that your integrity is everything.

Am I off base here?
Nope
Sounds like you may have been had. I hope not. miles
Nope, post a name.
Am I off base here?

Hell no. I would be very concerned. Post his name and location to save others from dealing with him.
"apexpredator"

Harveys Lake, PA
remfak I'm not far from harveys lake, shoot me is full name and address and I'll go pay him a visit for you.
my .02 is that communication make's the difference between a good deal and a bad deal.
Originally Posted by poleman
my .02 is that communication make's the difference between a good deal and a bad deal.

I agree completely! Like I said, all the dude had to do was fess up and say he f'd up! "It" happens. But heck, come on now....
I would be more than concerned. I would be way pi**ed
PM sent gemby58. Your offer is mighty kind of you!! I don't know, maybe I should give the guy a couple more days? Why do I feel like the schmuck when I'm the one out a stock right now?

There's a lot of very nice people here! I've learned a ton, bought, sold, and traded with many, and have never had an issue.
I am surprised he gave you his phone number if he was really looking to screw you. He probably just is being a lazy ass and not getting your stock shipped out. Just my guess....

Id be [bleep] pissed myself. You make a deal you hold up your end of the deal END OF STORY.
Been in your shoes - know the feeling and it sucks. My deal was on Gunbroker and the guy totally flaked out - cost me a few hundred bucks. However, it's the only one of several hundred deals here and there that have gone bad. I hope your guy comes through.

Joe
Heck no. I'd be mighty concerned. That screen name speaks volumes!
Originally Posted by rc82bttb
I am surprised he gave you his phone number if he was really looking to screw you. He probably just is being a lazy ass and not getting your stock shipped out. Just my guess....

Id be [bleep] pissed myself. You make a deal you hold up your end of the deal END OF STORY.

That's what I'm thinking. Why would you leave your phone number if you were planning on screwing somebody over? That makes no sense. Nonetheless, the dude has been a flake. That is precisely why I asked gemby58 to give it a couple more days.
A person is only as good as his word. Best of luck on your deal.
You are on the right road. Stay after his azz. I had the same thing happen recently on here, but it came out right.

Some folks are "Scatter Headed" when it comes to dealing.
Hope you the best, and keep us posted.
With only him having 17 posts and all being in classified... Yap you may have been had.

Unless a family member died the day of shipping, there is no excuse to ignore you or drop a line. So just for the record it seems...

APEXPREDATOR from PA is a piece of dog chit.
Collected on this yet? Hope so. If not "Get a rope". Sux, and I hope you havn't been had. Even if he does come through, he doesn't sound like a guy anyone else should ever deal with again. Let's not forget his name fellas. Maybe we should all pm him?
It's been almost 10 days, and still no stock from him. Mine got there via USPS in two days.

Were it me, I've give it more time. I recently bought some brass from a member in Oregon that took one day shy of a month to get to me (from the day he sent it to the day I received it). I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and we mutually decided to be a bit more patient. This was sent parcel post via the USPS, for what it's worth.

Then again, what little communication he's had with you doesn't inspire confidence.
I am not far from him also. I am in DE now but there once a month. If you want someone to stop by his place drop me a PM and I can do on 4/09,10 and 11/2010 as I will be there for a bull shoot.
Thanks for the offer of help guys.

More interesting news to share. This guy is an outright liar!!

I looked up my delivery confirmation online and it stated "sorting complete." That did not sound like delivered to me so I just called the Postmaster. She asked what the problem was and I told her who the SOB is and the fact that he hasn't kept up his end of the bargain. She knows him, and said he is usually pretty good about picking up packages. Well, turns out he hasn't picked up mine yet though it has been there since 3/17.

So, who knows about this guy. All I do know is that he flat out told me he had indeed received my stock and had indeed mailed mine out. Neither is true. I just faxed her a "mail recall" notice and she will send my stock back!

Lying Mo' Fo'!
Damn, at least you will get your stock back.. He sucks.
He sucks for sure! I HATE liars and those that give away their integrity. Some people are stupid!

Just spoke to the Postmaster again. Turns out I need my post office to complete a small portion of the form. If he picks-up that package (she releases it to him) before I get that form in (I'm in CO - USPS not open yet.....he's in PA - his USPS is open) I will go off the deep end for sure!

Lying POS! This has got me all burned up again! I mean, WTF, why the hell would he say he had both received my stock and sent his out? Neither is true.
Dang Man! Hope this works out for you ........
Originally Posted by remfak
He sucks for sure! I HATE liars and those that give away their integrity. Some people are stupid!

Just spoke to the Postmaster again. Turns out I need my post office to complete a small portion of the form. If he picks-up that package (she releases it to him) before I get that form in (I'm in CO - USPS not open yet.....he's in PA - his USPS is open) I will go off the deep end for sure!

Lying POS! This has got me all burned up again! I mean, WTF, why the hell would he say he had both received my stock and sent his out? Neither is true.
Be there when they open!
You could try contacting the US Postal Inspectors to see if there is anything they can do. Last year I had a problem transaction and they resolved it within 48 hours. They're top notch in my book.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/
Sorry to hear about this, I saw your initial post and was going to trade my SA for your LA, but it looked like a done deal.

Hope your out nothing more than the postage and get your stock back.

I sold both of mine last week, both to members on here. One to CA and another to AK. Priority Mail to CA was less than 10.00 and AK was about 12.00 doing my own labels on-line.
Mail Fraud is serious offense and for what it's worth you should file a complaint with the Post Master. If you want to take it a step further you could also call his local Police/Sheriff's Dept and ask to speak with a Detective and explain the situation. Even if you get your stock back the complaint will be on file to make them aware of his antics and if he does it again in the future to another unsuspecting individual they'll record/history on him. A visit from law enforment usually scares most straight.

Hope it all works out for you.

I've been had three times buying stuff on various forum's classifieds. So, I have become very critical of who I deal with.
If there is the slightest hint that the guy I'm dealing with is a crook, I back off. The indication that all might not be well with the guy is his lack of communication. If the guy communicates freely, seems above board, then I make the purchase.
Went to the USPS today to process the return order. I will confirm tomorrow that my stock is on the way back. The gal on my end called the PM there and confirmed it was pulled aside.

About two hours later I got a message from apexpredator with yet another story. This time he said he got to his office and found two boxes. Both had stocks in them, both he had sent out (supposedly including mine) previously, and both got sent back with incorrect zip codes. Now he claims he got the addresses wrong. The few times I have heard from this guy it's a different story. As long as my stock is on the way back I'm ok I guess. Just need to find another S/A for L/A trade.
you hate him or Obama more
OBAMA, NO DOUBT!!!
I think you found yourself a real bs artist! Obviously not a good one cause all his stories are pure bs. At least you didn't lose your stock! Good thinking on your part to call the PO!
Tell him you'll send him your stock when he sends you his along with the extra postage you paid to get it back.
GTP350 is right. You can usually find the name and phone # of any local COP or County Sheriff on the net. Just give them a call and request the history of the person in question. A request for a a visit to the individual in question is seldom denied when it involves firearms. Take care, jerry
Originally Posted by DB Bill
Tell him you'll send him your stock when he sends you his along with the extra postage you paid to get it back.

I was at work when he left his message about the "wrong addresses" and sending the trade stock. He even left me a PM with a tracking number as well. So even if I wanted to tell him to forget it, I couldn't as it was too late. IF the trade stock shows up as promised/described, I will send my trade back to him after he covers postage. I'll be damned if I send it back, again, at my cost after all this BS.
Well, if the stock shows up, then yes, you were being premature.
My guess is that the only reason why the stock appears to be coming my way is the barrage of PM's he received from members here and the fact that the Postmaster I spoke with in his small town knew him. She even knew his address before I said what it was.

Little doubt she called him after speaking with me twice and somebody from my PO letting her know to hold the stock.
I had a guy who gave me a hot check years ago. I took it to his bank and put it there on collection. Within a half hour he called me wanting to know why I did that. The bitch at the bank had called him to let him know so he wouldn't deposit the funds to cover it! I told him I needed my money just like he needed his. I finally had a deputy sheriff meet me at the house and inform him we were going to file criminal charges. At which point the deputy arrested him for a previous hot check.... he looked at me like I was having him arrested and I said, 'not me, somebody else you screwed'. I did get my money but it took several months. Nothing like those small towns where they cover each other's behinds!

I'll be the first to admit that the problem was on my end of this transaction. right after agreeing to do this trade, but before confirming it, I had a family death that I needed to be out of town for several days for. that put me behind in work and I was forced to go back out of town, for work, last week to get caught up. that is why I have been hard to contact. I did speak with remfak, he told me he hadn't received the stock, and most of what he stated was true, only I was not confused when I told him it was shipped usps priority mail. while I didn't have web contact with him, we did speak about this--its not like I fell off the world. all this is not an excuse, just an explanation. this whole ordeal has been going on for less than 2 weeks, from the very first pm. I re-read all the posts several times and I get the impression that it was going on much longer. I found out yesterday, monday, morning that I had screwed up the addresses on 2 packages, both going to colorado, when I got to work they were waiting for me. if people here would have checked, they would have seen that I was not online and havn't been able to check messages. anyway, as soon as I discovered what I did wrong, I re-packaged and re-sent the packages priority mail and then notified remfak as to what had happened via pm and phone call. according to what he posted here, he was a work and couldn't answer. he obviously thinks he is the only one here who works and can't answer his phone. while I am sorry for the lack of communication in this matter, I do have to laugh about one of the posts stating the "barrage of pm's" I received on this. the truth is I received only 1 pm from each of the two people, in the last week. anyway, the last thing I want to get into here is a pissing match with anyone. I have not had a chance to get to my post office or even talk with them yet as to pick up the stock from remfak, as it was only delivered there 4 days ago. honestly, I had no idea of what was going on here until I just read this post. I will stop by my post office and confirm what was said here. if that is the case and remfak's stock was returned to him, he better just refuse/return my stock when it shows up or I'll be the one pressing charges. to everyone that chimed in on this, all I'm going to say to you is that it is real easy commenting in a one sided conversation. if anyone doubs anything I have stated here, I will gladly address their questions in pm form as I believe this whole post is inappropriate. apex
yada, yada, yada.............
I've seen plenty of good deals on this place but I just won't do business with a dude with 10 posts or that I don't 'know'.

He said he was sending his out, so I sent mine out. It's been almost 10 days, and still no stock from him. Mine got there via USPS in two days.

10 days!? You destroy the guy's reputation after only 10 days!? He may be a really crafty criminal and gave you his phone number just to throw you off but you should give him a little more time than that to get the oil changed in his get away car.

I had a package once that got delivered to the house next door to where I was sending it which was a vacant house. It took 3 weeks to figure out what happened to it but the guy never went public and said I was a thief! I recently bought some Contender parts from a guy on another forum and I forgot to put his apartment number on the envelope the MO was sent in so it came back about a week and a half later and the guy never went public and said I was a deadbeat. I sent it to him and included the little sticker that the PO put on it say "Incomplete Address". I sent a member of this forum a money order a week ago for some parts and haven't heard anything from him, should I call him out?

I don't know Apexpredator from Adam so he may be an international jewel thief for all I know but good Gawd....10 days?
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've seen plenty of good deals on this place but I just won't do business with a dude with 10 posts or that I don't 'know'.
Exactly. Just a few post counts is a sign of trouble IMO.
And apexpredator dares to threaten the man he jammed with his irresponsible behavior. What a miserable hillbilly.
I once had a deal with a seller. before my money arrived his father died, so he was away for a week and could not contact me. when he returned his FFL had died. . I diden't hear from him for a total of 3 weeks. but he got it straighten out and every thing was fine.I figured a month to see if it was going down. sometimes you have to be patient..
One question, a fair number of posts, a handful of of PM's, and an obvious majority agreeing that I should have been concerned.

I am an honest, upfront guy....always have been, always will be. I've taught my daughter's two key points since they were old enough to understand. First, people that lie, cheat, and steal are losers, period! And second, nobody can take your integrity away from you if you don't give it away. At 12 and 15 years of age, they totally get it! Far too many people far older then them don't!

So, as for apexpredator, I didn't want to call him out per se and didn't do so in my original post. But the more I thought about it and didn't here back from him, the more pisssed I got. If nothing had been exchanged and/or there was open/honest communication, things would have been ok. HOWEVER, my stock was already out, the guy was mostly unreachable, and when I did reach him it was a different story, a different excuse, and a lot of unreturned phone calls and emails: Ok, so he's out of town. How about returning calls when he gets back? Not! Emails returned? Not! PM's returned? Not! He finally answers the phone and fumbles around with BS explanations. He said he had both received my stock and sent the other out. Both not true! He said he would call me back with a tracking number. Not! More messages from me, more unreturned calls.

Crimson Mister, if you want to deal with a guy like this, knock yourself out. Good luck with that and be sure to let us know how it goes.

I've done deals with pleny of people here and I ALWAYS error on the side of over-communicating. Stuff in, stuff out, money on the way, did you receive your money/stuff, etc.

As for apex and his threat, well, whatever dude. You and I know exactly what was said, exactly what was done, and exactly what was not done. You can pound sand!
If we do not do deals with those who only have a few posts how will they ever have a chance. I usually explain to low post people that I am concerned that they have no history and then work out a process we both can live with. "Your count is 10, you will need to send me your goods first, when your package arrives I will send you mine". If I am buying outright, I ask for additional information and verify it, or take a chance.

For myself, I will not let a low count stop me from communicating and trying to work a deal, others did it for me and I will return the trust.

Having said all that, I would have been very concerned with this deal and can not fault Remfak for his actions.

That is what I was thinking Scott.
Originally Posted by slg888
Exactly. Just a few post counts is a sign of trouble IMO.

Were you folks dishonest when you only had 10 posts?
remfak,

You are not the bad guy in this deal and you did the right thing. Just think if you would not have come out with the issues you were having with apex. This could have gone on for weeks...

Communication is the key to all good deals. If you enter into a deal (contract) and you are having issues (shipping related, death in family, etc), you need to let the other party of the deal know immediately. And if your story sounds like BS, you should provide proof (copy of shipping receipt of wrong address, etc). Apex clearly failed to communicate properly and deserved to be called out. I certainly would have called him out and I am not sure I would have been so kind.

How in world can the number of posts on the forum have anything to do with the integrity of the person doing business. I have a low post count as Bart 7175 because before I was Bart426 when I lived in Montana and I was using my work email address and had the password and username automatically set in the system. When I moved to Arizona and no longer had that system the forum asked me for my PW and Username I couldn't remember the password and I no longer had access to the email address to have it sent to me so I changed my name. That shouldn't make me a bad guy. I have bought and sold things probably 15 to 20 times over the past 2 years and my total count including my original username is probably less than a couple hundred.

Bart
Whelenman, Aaron Rogers is a Bret Favre that can run.

HM

Crimson Mister, if you want to deal with a guy like this, knock yourself out. Good luck with that and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I guess that'll depend on what he is selling. I guess if I have his name, address, and phone number I wouldn't be too worried about it. One thing I won't do is call someone a thief unless I'm damn sure that the deal isn't going to be completed. I'm not dishonest so I don't assume everyone else is and I don't look for evil behind every rock. Damn miserable way to live if you ask me.

Originally Posted by Crimson Mister

I don't know Apexpredator from Adam so he may be an international jewel thief for all I know but good Gawd....10 days?

I'd rather do business with Apexpredator than Remfak. Just my opinion...
Someone ask Calvin and Sitka Deer how long it takes to get a Kimber .22 from AK to NC?

wink

Can't recall anyone being fretted about the other parties in that deal, though.
HMMMM......I did a transaction here on the board on 1-5-2010....I only have a handfull of posts here. I did the transaction with wageslave( great guy to deal with! Thumbs up).........anyway the he paid me on 1/5......on 1/6 i brought the item to my ffl. I thought it would have been shipped the next day due to me bringing the item down later in the day. I found out weeks later that it was not shipped out but still sitting there. Wageslave even called the ffl and he said there was no record of it. I ran down and found out my ffl was in the hospital and that his son was there handling the business. Found my item and brought it to another ffl and had to pay twice the amount of the first ffl. On 1/22/2010 the item finally arrived to wageslave. That is 17 days after the original money transaction. I don't post a lot nor will I after this. I have spoken to a few awesome people on this board. I do feel sometimes things happen. Being from PA I guess I'm one of those "hillbilly's" that were mentioned.

tony
I've done easily over 15k worth of transactions here on the classifieds. I even bought my dog on the classifieds.

I've never worried about any of it. Post count doesn't mean anything to me. Sometime stuff comes quickly, and I've had it take long enough for me to forget it was coming. Can't think of a better system for me to get good prices on good gear.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I've done easily over 15k worth of transactions here on the classifieds. I even bought my dog on the classifieds.

I've never worried about any of it. Post count doesn't mean anything to me. Sometime stuff comes quickly, and I've had it take long enough for me to forget it was coming. Can't think of a better system for me to get good prices on good gear.

Yep.

Originally Posted by KLM
If we do not do deals with those who only have a few posts how will they ever have a chance. I usually explain to low post people that I am concerned that they have no history and then work out a process we both can live with. "Your count is 10, you will need to send me your goods first, when your package arrives I will send you mine". If I am buying outright, I ask for additional information and verify it, or take a chance.

For myself, I will not let a low count stop me from communicating and trying to work a deal, others did it for me and I will return the trust.

Having said all that, I would have been very concerned with this deal and can not fault Remfak for his actions.

Yep
One of these days I'll line up all the rifles, scopes, backpacks, binos, rangefinders, etc that I've bought off the classifieds for a photo op. It'll be impressive..(grin)
Originally Posted by KLM
If we do not do deals with those who only have a few posts how will they ever have a chance.

From reading many of these, IMO, many of the "crimes" here are committed by the low count posters. Another tip is deals too good to be true.

I would be understanding of someone not trusting me completely in the same way I would not expect a stranger in person to give me full benefit of the doubt..... that's why I communicate immediately and send the stuff out expeditiously. I don't even want my integrity questioned.

If the post count is low, I look to see what the seller has been posting on. Is he just using this site or does he actively participate in this community? Is the seller a "stranger". It's obvious who the better man is.

KLM, I do agree with the entirety of your post.

A good track record is always a positive. IMHO
Originally Posted by gmack
that's why I communicate immediately and send the stuff out expeditiously. I don't even want my integrity questioned.

That's my philosophy on any internet kind of deal and it sure makes life easier.

Even if it's an inconvenience to get something out within a day of receiving someone elses hard earned money, it makes everyone a lot happier at the end of the day or just letting them know it got delayed will clear up a lot of fuss in the end.

This thread has gone way to far and it didn't start out as a flame job, but I think the majority of people would have reacted the same way when they found out they may have been lied to.
© 24hourcampfire