Home
A heads up for those that aren't aware of it. USPS priority flat rate boxes are THE SAME COST to all 50 states!!!
Ok rant over
Heh... I shipped 1000 .45 Cal boolits to Alaska in a USPS Flat rate box a while back. Deal! ...(For me).... felt bad for the local delivery person.

I hear you ask pilot I had to tell folks several times no additional cost for flat rate boxes to Alaska . Another one shipping rifles it's $43.00 bucks not $50, not a $100 but $43 dollars.
One of my pet peeves. Gunbroker, eBay etc., listing they ship flat rate but not to Alaska or Hawaii.

Mart
Puerto Rico same flat rate as well . A guy won my E-Bay item from there . Told him I would check at Post Office and I would ship if same rate and it was .
I tried to order some parts for one of our commercial kitchen stoves yesterday and was told by the salesman that they don't ship out of the country. I told him that the last time I checked, Alaska was a state. He didn't have an answer for me and I had to go elsewhere for the parts. The parts will fit in a flat rate box as well.
And you can get two 5.5 in Ruger single actions in a single medium flat rate box. I think folks use the excuse of the buyer living outside the lower 48 as a means of jacking the price up. And I'm also done ranting.
Originally Posted by Dieselman
And you can get two 5.5 in Ruger single actions in a single medium flat rate box. I think folks use the excuse of the buyer living outside the lower 48 as a means of jacking the price up. And I'm also done ranting.

The title is misleading. USPS same costs ONLY IF it fits in a flat rate box, otherwise a hell of a lot more. And AK buyers will often try to beat you down for price shipped AND THEN throw "Oh by the way you have to ship it to Alaska" and cost the buyer more money. Plus pretty sure you cannot "legally" ship one pistol in a Flat rate box much less two.

That goes both ways. Rant over. smile
Just went to USPS.com and did an estimate. I "shipped" from Las Vegas to Greenbrier, TN and the cost for a 38"x9"x4" 10lb box was $54.52. The same box to Eagle River, AK was $57.32.

So I dont think that if I was selling a rifle I would let $2.80 stop me from selling it. If that was the case I guess I could let the buyer know of the LESS than $3.00 premium I would need to add.
I have shipped to both states using usps flat rate. Shipped a rifle to Alaska, and the price was not bad (maybe $30 bucks).
Good point, amazing how many people don't realize Alaska is a State. In the same country. And it is part of the continental US.
Another fact is that you can ship/send items via Fed Ex or UPS Ground.
For shipping long guns priority from Alaska to Texas is within $2 of shipping California to New York. Don't believe it? Try the usps shipping rate calculator. All mail goes by plane, just because it's north doesn't make it more money than east/west
Quote (Plus pretty sure you cannot "legally" ship one pistol in a Flat rate box much less two.)

FFL dealers can use USPS flat rate boxes for shipping handguns. Non FFL can,t.

USPS rates lately to ship a long gun to AK have gone up around $47 to $55 in my experience. UPS can be 30% higher or more and quite a bit slower.

UPS and Fedex have priced themselves out of AK market plus lousy service here.
I will not use them unless left with no other alternative.

A FFL can using USPS FORM 1508

In Michigan you need to remove your name from your pistol permit to sell out of state by using a FFL.
So for me FFL fee plus shipping USPS flat rate is still cheaper than UPS FedEX.
You can if you're an FFL. You cannot if you're not an FFL.

Originally Posted by BountyHunter

The title is misleading. USPS same costs ONLY IF it fits in a flat rate box, otherwise a hell of a lot more. And AK buyers will often try to beat you down for price shipped AND THEN throw "Oh by the way you have to ship it to Alaska" and cost the buyer more money. Plus pretty sure you cannot "legally" ship one pistol in a Flat rate box much less two.

That goes both ways. Rant over. smile
AK buyers will often try to beat you down for price shipped AND THEN throw "Oh by the way you have to ship it to Alaska"

I would never think of doing that to you; thats why you're now on ignore grin
Originally Posted by coyotewacker

A FFL can using USPS FORM 1508

In Michigan you need to remove your name from your pistol permit to sell out of state by using a FFL.
So for me FFL fee plus shipping USPS flat rate is still cheaper than UPS FedEX.

You "have to" or you "want to", not aware thats a law. Do you have a link to the state law?
^^^
Refresher
I just Sent A rifle To Anchor Point AK. From Blairsville Pa. With Insurance It.cost 80.85. Without Ins. It Was 74.55. I've shipped a Lot Of guns But Never To AK And They Avg. 25-35 Bucks. Don't Know If It's The Norm But That's What It was. Sorry For The Caps, My Stupid Phone Is [bleep] Up!

Roy
Was that with the post office or how? I've mail several rifles to the east coast and most if not all have been $50.00 or less including insurance. I haven't sent any for the last year or so. Maybe the rates have went up. --- Mel
$80 sounds about the cost for UPS, USPS seems to be about $57 with insurance depending on size of box makes a big difference.
Yep, had a FFL tell me they couldn't ship a gun to Alaska because it was out of the country. I said WTFO and explained to him that AK was a state. He said the plane carrying it might fly over Canada so it would be out of the country.

Gotta love stupid.

I also got free shipping once after an argument with a company that advertized FREE SHIPPING IN THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES.

They disagreed but I assured them that Alaska was on the same continent as Rhode Island.
I have shipped to AK many times, sometime it arrived there faster to AK than stuff going to the -48 west coast state.
Notice a lot of posts lately with lower 48 only, stuff I’d buy but don’t want to deal with begging for shipping to Alaska. Especially when USPS flat rate boxes are the SAME to all 50 states.
Originally Posted by RTSJ
I just Sent A rifle To Anchor Point AK. From Blairsville Pa. With Insurance It.cost 80.85. Without Ins. It Was 74.55. I've shipped a Lot Of guns But Never To AK And They Avg. 25-35 Bucks. Don't Know If It's The Norm But That's What It was. Sorry For The Caps, My Stupid Phone Is [bleep] Up!

Roy

That had to be UPS. I shipped one from that area to Ak for just over $50, from myself to myself
Originally Posted by peaceman
Originally Posted by RTSJ

Roy

That had to be UPS. I shipped one from that area to Ak for just over $50, from myself to myself

I do not discriminate against the good folks up in AK. However, the one rifle I had shipped to AK, went via USPS. IIRC, it was $87 out of my pocket for a $500 rifle. That hurt. Normal shipping down here in the little states averages around $30 for UPS.
© 24hourcampfire