Home
A few here have bought my scratchbox call, and with turkey season in full swing I'm selling them as fast as I can make them. It's $30, and shipping is free. I've been fortunate enough to get a little ahead and can offer a few of them here. This week I made a couple of videos describing the call and how to use it:
5 minutes.....

6½ minutes....

That instructional video might be helpful to those who have already purchased a call. For more information and how to order, check out my web page at www.EverydayHunter.com. If you don't want to use PayPal, PM me for a mailing address where you can send a check.

Thanks.
Steve.
Thanks for the orders. A few still available with maple body and cedar soundboard.

Steve.
I ordered one last night…looking forward to getting mine. Thanks, Bruce
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
I ordered one last night…looking forward to getting mine. Thanks, Bruce

I'm on the way to mail it now. Thanks.

Steve.
Morning bump. I still have a couple with Maple body and Cedar soundboard. Have another batch to finish up and tune, but probably won't get to them until next week.

Steve.
pm sent..
Good news -- though I plum ran out of calls, I'm finishing about 30 more today and they'll be ready for shipping by Saturday morning.

Thanks to all who have ordered -- and to those who will.

Steve.
I got mine today and I love it already!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by docost99
I got mine today and I love it already!
Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, Brian.

Steve.
Nice videos. Brought back good memories. I took my first two gobblers with a similar scratch call back when Pa. first started the spring season. I sat on it the third season and never did replace it. I ordered one from you today, Steve.
Originally Posted by basdjs
Nice videos. Brought back good memories. I took my first two gobblers with a similar scratch call back when Pa. first started the spring season. I sat on it the third season and never did replace it. I ordered one from you today, Steve.

Thanks!

Steve.
Just ordered one in maple.
Ordered a maple and cedar one also. Looking forward to the call!
Jonathan
Saw the first strutter of the year today in a woodline. Good luck to the gobbler hunters.
I met my goal of shipping all orders received so far. All PayPal orders went in the mail as of this morning. This evening I'll be speaking to about 250 people at an event where I'll sell more, and again Thursday evening to a crowd of 625. Hoping I can keep up with the demand.

Those who have sent checks, I'm trying to hold enough back to serve those when the checks come in. If the checks come in early in the week, I should have no problem.

I know what I'll be spending lots of time on this summer!

Thanks, all. I have plenty of wood to make these calls. The challenge is the time spent gluing, sanding, and tuning. Just when I think I get ahead, a rush of orders comes in.

Steve.
I have about 30 on hand now and should have about 50 more finished in about a week.

Steve
Steve--you might have to start working overtime!
Doing a seminar this week for a crowd of about 625 people on Thursday, then another for about 150 on Saturday. I should have enough to get through those two events, plus some mail orders.

I have about 50 more ready for final sanding, finishing and tuning. So even if I run out, any orders that come in will be filled quickly.

Thanks.
Steve.
Just ordered two (one for myself and one for my son), cool videos!
tag
Steve,

Received my call today. Neat turkey call, I'll be trying it out in Texas next weekend! Thank you!

Just ordered mine! Sounds great!
Back up to the top. I have about a dozen available now, and two dozen more will be finished by the end of the week. Current stock are all Pennsylvania Black Cherry body with an Aromatic Cedar soundboard. Go to www.EverydayHunter.com/turkeycall.htm.

Thanks.
Steve.
I received 2 calls today---both sound pretty darn good!

Back to the top for a great call!
tag
We've been using those forever down here. I'm more partial to them than most, and must have a dozen or more different styles/makes. Never knew it was a 'northern' thing. LOL;)
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
We've been using those forever down here. I'm more partial to them than most, and must have a dozen or more different styles/makes. Never knew it was a 'northern' thing. LOL;)

It has never been a "northern" thing, but I'm trying to do something about that. I can count on one hand the hunters in the north who have ever heard of a scratchbox.

Steve.
Kinda like finding a Yankee that votes Republican. Good luck!
I just ordered one, looking forward to giving it a go.
Which wood makes better sound in your opinion: maple or cherry?
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Which wood makes better sound in your opinion: maple or cherry?

Neither. The vibration is in the Cedar soundboard. I doubt any human ear can tell the acoustical difference between the Cherry and the Maple bodies. Any detectable difference in sound is more likely to come from the fact that the grain in each Cedar soundboard is slightly different. I can tell when I'm tuning them if the wood is a little harder or the grain is a little tighter, and that will make a slight difference from one call to another.

Choosing between Maple or Cherry is a matter of whether you like the lighter look of Maple or the redder look of Cherry. Right now, there's no choice because I won't have any Maple completed for a few weeks at least. So the only choice is a Cherry body with a Cedar soundboard.

Thanks for asking.

Steve.
Gotcha. FWIW, I found that a rougher tone edge on the hardwood versions seems to get 'more' out of them, and I do have some slate striker sticks that seem to work better than wood on some versions. Had an old barber down here that used to experiment a lot for me, back when. I like them all, to one degree or another. You are correct about: a single scratch box call can do the job (as well or better) of just about any friction call made. My vest is really for carrying decoys, snacks, and a cushion. My scratch box and a mouth call are about all that see use. Nice looking calls, and best of luck.
Just went to your website and ordered one in Cherry. Thanks !
Order received, postage purchased, package will go out tomorrow. Now go get some of those nuisance wild turkeys on Long Island!

Steve.
Mine arrived today! Great sounding call!
Originally Posted by BCON
Mine arrived today! Great sounding call!

Thanks, Brian! I love hearing good things about my call.

Steve.
I've filled all the orders, even those who sent checks, and received some pretty good feedback like this:
"The call is very versatile compared to others I've used for many moons. You can almost carry on a conversation with its range of tone to give the birds exactly what they want to hear! Many thanks Steve for a great product."

Another buyer reported three kills one morning with my Northern Scratchbox call. I have about 10 ready to go, and another 15 I'll have ready in short order, so if anyone still wants one I can fill the order.

If anyone has a success photo they can post, I'd appreciate seeing them. The Pennsylvania season begins Saturday. Hoping to post my own picture soon.

Many thanks to all, and to those who have yet to order -- www.EverydayHunter.com/turkeycall.htm.

Steve.
Steve

I just ordered mime. Hopefully I can manage it, my right side is kind of weak, "stroke"

Thanks Denny Andersen
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Kinda like finding a Yankee that votes Republican. Good luck!

That hurt Scott grin
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Steve

I just ordered mime. Hopefully I can manage it, my right side is kind of weak, "stroke"

Thanks Denny Andersen

Denny, I don't think you'll have any problem running this call. For most sounds you hold the box very lightly. If you contact the little finger of your right hand (holding the box) with the little finger of your left hand) holding the strikerboard, you will be able to keep the amount of pressure consistent. Then just draw the box along the strikerboard with the lip of the soundboard in contact with it. If you have the box angled correctly you should get a nice light purr. From there, it's just a matter of getting used to varying the strokes to get the sounds you want. The fighting purr will probably be the most difficult for you, but it's the most difficult for everyone.

Got your order and the package is ready to ship. I'll deliver it to the post office tomorrow.

Thanks, and all the best,
Steve.
Saw this post on Facebook today:
Highly recommend the scratch box call hand made by Steve Sorensen. We have had great success with this call, had two gobblers going crazy the first day while using this call. Best $30 we've spent in a long time on a hunting product, worth way more than what he's selling it for.

Unsolicited positive comments like that help me know I've got something really good here. Right now, I have seven finished and ready to go. More by the end of the week.

Steve.
Maker of The Nothern Scratchbox Turkey Call
Got mine today, Thanks Steve.
This one deserves a bump. I'm hoping to kill a bird with mine this year. I believe Steve is still making them.
FWIW, I've been told forever that I run them 'backwards'. LOL

I've always held the box stationary and moved the striker. Always seemed to give me more control of volume and tone. Point is: run it however you can. There is no wrong way to make a right turkey sound. wink

I'll try to get one of these when I get back and ring it out some.
Do you have any pics showing the difference in color between the two wood bodies?
[Linked Image] Bumping from last year, for those who missed it and for those who are new. I've gotten behind schedule because my father broke his hip three weeks ago and my mother passed away two weeks ago. Lot of the responsibility has fallen on me for both, so I've been busy.

I have several of my Northern Scratchbox turkey calls ready to go. I'll try to post pictures of both the Maple and the Cherry soon. (For now, the one pictured at right is cherry.) Here's the page on my new website——much better than what you saw last year: http://www.everydayhunter.com/turkey-call

Thanks for looking.

Steve.
Bump

Ordered a couple to try. Maybe I'll finally get one in gun range!
Originally Posted by smallcal
Bump

Ordered a couple to try. Maybe I'll finally get one in gun range!

Thanks, Ken.

To others, if you're interested I still have several ready to go.

Steve.
Four shipped today, and just got another order in. Thanks to all who trust their turkey hunting to my scratchbox call.

Steve.
Thanks, looking forward to it!
You're welcome, Jon.
Three more orders just now filled and will go in the mail today.

Steve.
tag
Just put in my order, can't wait to try it out on these stubborn Alabama long beards!
Thanks, Cousneddy. Your call went in the mail today (along with four others). Then another order came in by mail. Sweet.

Steve.
Three going out today. Thanks, folks.

Steve.
Just ordered one. "Gobbler's buy it so should you!"
Can't argue with that!
Originally Posted by Steveco
Just ordered one. "Gobbler's buy it so should you!"
Can't argue with that!

Just got back from the post office. Yours will go out tomorrow.

Thanks.
Steve.
Two going out today.

Steve.

PICTURES ADDED:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] On the left, an example of the Cherry body, on the right is an example of the Maple body. The body of the call is your choice—either Cherry or Maple. Both Cherry and Maple sound the same because the sound comes from the Cedar soundboard. At the right of this paragraph is an example of the Cedar Soundboard on all calls. Of course, wood grain will vary so these are only examples.

Hope this helps. Thanks for looking.

Steve
I got a cherry-cedar call today. Arrived in good shape, thank you Steve. It has a nice big striker, so it was easy to make different tones by moving location around. Sounds good!
Steve - just ordered a couple. I've had one that's very similar that a guy in Arkansas built for me about 30 years ago. Working birds last week and kept looking at the blade about worn out and wondering what I was going to do when I did. Now I know! I'll give you a report.....

Donny
Got mine today, made some good loud sounds that had all the turkeys running and hiding. Of course the only turkeys within earshot were teenage kids, good riddance!
Easy to use, well crafted and can't wait to get out after em one year.
I'll take one. If you have a cherry wood version I'd prefer that.
Seven calls going out today! Thanks!

Steve.
Got mine Friday, really easy to use. Have about 10 minutes on one of them and it works great! Can't imagine what it could do in the hands of a good turkey hunter!

Thanks again.

Ken
Thanks for the great testimonial, smallcal. Hope come May 1 it makes you an outstanding turkey hunter!

Steve.
Steve - got my calls today and had time to chalk them up and play with them. Very good tone. Very pleased with these calls and the craftmanship, well worth the money.
Two mailed yesterday. Thanks, guys.

Steve.
Steve I just ordered one on your site. I filled one tag yesterday but I have another tag to fill before the season is over in two weeks. I'm hoping I get this call real soon so I can get some practice time in and then use it in the field this season.
Thanks!
Thanks. I'll be out of town all day today, but I'll send it out Saturday AM by First Class mail. Good luck with your second bird!

Steve.
Six more calls going out today. I'm down to just a couple. I'll need to put some work in next week.

Thanks, everyone.
Steve.
One more today, plus some contacts from people who don't want to order using PayPal.

Steve.
Steve, I got the call today! Been trying it out practicing the different sounds that this call makes. Going out Thursday morning and this call will get it's first field test from me.
Thanks!
Good luck khough.
I'm heading for the post office now with 5 calls. Some were from people who sent checks.

Steve.
Three went out today. Turkey seasons have wound down in the south, but are just opening now in the northern states.

Steve.
Three more shipped today to Virginia and Montana. I'm down to Cherry only. That's the most popular anyway. My ratio is 3 Cherry to 1 Maple.

I probably won't have any more Maple ready to go until June.

Thanks, everybody. I'm hearing good results about my call. Here's one I'll share that I sold to a guy near Punxsutawney, PA when I was just starting:

I happen to snag one of your calls to try out and I killed one with it that year and pretty much every year after. We used your call on Saturday to call in these two Toms. It is definitely my go to call. (Love the way it purrs) I just wanted to THANK you for the call. It's making great memories.

Steve.
© 24hourcampfire