Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve,

Received my call today. Neat turkey call, I'll be trying it out in Texas next weekend! Thank you!

GB1

B
B
Just ordered mine! Sounds great!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Back up to the top. I have about a dozen available now, and two dozen more will be finished by the end of the week. Current stock are all Pennsylvania Black Cherry body with an Aromatic Cedar soundboard. Go to www.EverydayHunter.com/turkeycall.htm.

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I received 2 calls today---both sound pretty darn good!

Back to the top for a great call!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
tag

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We've been using those forever down here. I'm more partial to them than most, and must have a dozen or more different styles/makes. Never knew it was a 'northern' thing. LOL;)

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
We've been using those forever down here. I'm more partial to them than most, and must have a dozen or more different styles/makes. Never knew it was a 'northern' thing. LOL;)

It has never been a "northern" thing, but I'm trying to do something about that. I can count on one hand the hunters in the north who have ever heard of a scratchbox.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Kinda like finding a Yankee that votes Republican. Good luck!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just ordered one, looking forward to giving it a go.

NRA Endowment Life Member
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Which wood makes better sound in your opinion: maple or cherry?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Which wood makes better sound in your opinion: maple or cherry?

Neither. The vibration is in the Cedar soundboard. I doubt any human ear can tell the acoustical difference between the Cherry and the Maple bodies. Any detectable difference in sound is more likely to come from the fact that the grain in each Cedar soundboard is slightly different. I can tell when I'm tuning them if the wood is a little harder or the grain is a little tighter, and that will make a slight difference from one call to another.

Choosing between Maple or Cherry is a matter of whether you like the lighter look of Maple or the redder look of Cherry. Right now, there's no choice because I won't have any Maple completed for a few weeks at least. So the only choice is a Cherry body with a Cedar soundboard.

Thanks for asking.

Steve.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Gotcha. FWIW, I found that a rougher tone edge on the hardwood versions seems to get 'more' out of them, and I do have some slate striker sticks that seem to work better than wood on some versions. Had an old barber down here that used to experiment a lot for me, back when. I like them all, to one degree or another. You are correct about: a single scratch box call can do the job (as well or better) of just about any friction call made. My vest is really for carrying decoys, snacks, and a cushion. My scratch box and a mouth call are about all that see use. Nice looking calls, and best of luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just went to your website and ordered one in Cherry. Thanks !

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Order received, postage purchased, package will go out tomorrow. Now go get some of those nuisance wild turkeys on Long Island!

Steve.

B
B
Mine arrived today! Great sounding call!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BCON
Mine arrived today! Great sounding call!

Thanks, Brian! I love hearing good things about my call.

Steve.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've filled all the orders, even those who sent checks, and received some pretty good feedback like this:
"The call is very versatile compared to others I've used for many moons. You can almost carry on a conversation with its range of tone to give the birds exactly what they want to hear! Many thanks Steve for a great product."

Another buyer reported three kills one morning with my Northern Scratchbox call. I have about 10 ready to go, and another 15 I'll have ready in short order, so if anyone still wants one I can fill the order.

If anyone has a success photo they can post, I'd appreciate seeing them. The Pennsylvania season begins Saturday. Hoping to post my own picture soon.

Many thanks to all, and to those who have yet to order -- www.EverydayHunter.com/turkeycall.htm.

Steve.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steve

I just ordered mime. Hopefully I can manage it, my right side is kind of weak, "stroke"

Thanks Denny Andersen

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Kinda like finding a Yankee that votes Republican. Good luck!

That hurt Scott grin

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Steve

I just ordered mime. Hopefully I can manage it, my right side is kind of weak, "stroke"

Thanks Denny Andersen

Denny, I don't think you'll have any problem running this call. For most sounds you hold the box very lightly. If you contact the little finger of your right hand (holding the box) with the little finger of your left hand) holding the strikerboard, you will be able to keep the amount of pressure consistent. Then just draw the box along the strikerboard with the lip of the soundboard in contact with it. If you have the box angled correctly you should get a nice light purr. From there, it's just a matter of getting used to varying the strokes to get the sounds you want. The fighting purr will probably be the most difficult for you, but it's the most difficult for everyone.

Got your order and the package is ready to ship. I'll deliver it to the post office tomorrow.

Thanks, and all the best,
Steve.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.