Home
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
I'll probably get flack for this, but so be it. I know most would probably say "Just put good glass on each one, buy once cry once, blah blah". But how realistic is it to assume consistency using one scope on three guns? All three guns have rails, all are consistent sub MOA and all have meh glass. I have a budget of about $1500 to work with, so rather than spend around $500/scope, I was thinking about getting something along the lines of a used NXS or save a bit more for a used ATACR or NX8 and swap it between guns as needed, with the hopes of maintaining zero after adjustment. Most swear by their reliability and tracking, so if I were to zero it to each gun, and adjust accordingly when swapped, theoretically, this should work, correct? I understand real world results won't necessarily reflect this theory, but have others tried this with good results?. Currently, I don't have anything as reliable as a Nightforce to test this with, but i'm sure this has been done before. Thoughts??
Posted By: GreggH Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
Orange
I think you will ultimately be served better with 3 $500 scopes than
1 scope that you swap around.
GreggH
Posted By: memtb Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20

OK.... I believe that it’s doable. But, how about one rifle, one scope.....with the possible exception of a varmint rifle! It would save a lot of re-zeroing each time you change firearms! Of course....that gives yo7 more bench time! memtb
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
I'll probably get flack for this, but so be it.

Yup - brace for it.

All three guns have rails, all are consistent sub MOA and all have meh glass. Thoughts??

You're going to end up with a small novel sized notebook on E/W adjustments just between the three rifles, and plan on adding a chapter for each bullet you what to try.

Keep the two "Meh" - buy one good, and upgrade when you can later - you'd have one "meh" as a spare if one crapped out on you.

It's also not just the scope, you have to be repeatable on the swap between rifles, using the same rail slot, fore and aft in the slot, the same torque on the ring bases, etc.

Changing the above with throw your records off as well - especially if the rails and rings are "meh" quality units as well.

JMHO.
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
75% of the time, it will be during range time, so I don't care about throwing 3 or 4 more rounds to re-zero. The other 25% of the time, I'll be swapping monthly, depending on hunting seasons, which a few shots to confirm zero would occur regardless.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by GreggH
Orange
I think you will ultimately be served better with 3 $500 scopes than
1 scope that you swap around.
GreggH

This is what I thought too.
I have 2 scopes set up in Warne QD's & zeroed for 1 rifle so I can swap them around as I please. A VX2 3-9x40 Duplex and a VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 Pig Plex. This works fine for me but it sounds like you are wanting much better glass.
Or, maybe you could sell your 3 "meh" scopes and have a little more wiggle room in your budget?
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
[quote=GreggH].
Or, maybe you could sell your 3 "meh" scopes and have a little more wiggle room in your budget?

That's the plane. More swapping would occur between two guns, but the third would be a rarer case, which I don't shoot is as much. So swapping between two guns is a more realistic question, and should probably be much more realistic.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
There are drawbacks. You can't "swap and go" because you'll need to sight-in the gun every time you move scopes. You could likely get fairly close by recording a scope's sight-in settings for each gun, then making the adjustments when you swap, and that should get you in the ballpark, but you'll still need to fire some sighters to verify.

I do a version of this by having a Savage action, upon which I swap several barrels. I have done the recorded settings thing, and it gets me pretty close, say within 1.5 moa at the worst (a few times, it has been nearly dead on), so I still have to fire and adjust, fire and verify. Note that I remove the scope to swap the barrels each time.

If you look around and watch for sales, you can find some pretty good scopes for $500 bucks apiece. Plenty good enough for 99% of hunting scenarios. I don't bother with that 1%, so I am well-served by scopes in that price range.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
Just me-
I have a hard time understanding the modern
trend and.desire to adjust and
twist and fiddle when it comes to rifle optics.
I'm completely opposite- I want to be able to
pick up a rifle and shoulder it and fire immediately
and not have to flip a switch or do any twisting
or adjusting or fire any spoilers.

Of course, each person can do as they wish
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
There is a German system designed for exactly this use. It's called the Dentler Vario.
It allows you to use a single scope for multiple weapons by having adjustable bases on each gun and basically sighting in via adjusting the base.
It's a fairly ugly and pretty expensive, though.
[Linked Image from dentler-jagdwaffen.de]
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
You could. If I were doing it I'd feel the need check zero each time....even with a range out my front door, that'd be a pain in the winter with shorter days over a 4.5 month hunting season. No grab and go, no back up ready, no taking a backup rifle. At all times you'd have at least 2 rifles you couldn't use......If the one scope does go tits up you'd have 3 useless rifles.

I'd prefer 1 rifle and 3 scopes to 3 rifles and 1 scope.....better than that, 2 rifles, each with a good scope.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
I agree.

It is like having one set of tires for 3 cars.
Posted By: joes64gto Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20

Not a new idea. Bausch & Lomb had it figured out and was one of their sales promotions. External adjustment scope with adjustable bases made swapping the scope to different rifles a simple process. Have done this with a Balvar 8 but used Leupold Adjusto mounts instead of B&L mounts. Model 70 and a 99Savage are the rifles. Once zeroed to rifle no adjustment needed after swapping.
Posted By: aalf Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
I've done it back when I was using Leupold Quick Release rings & bases. Their return to zero was decent, but I'd put more faith into picatinny ring/base setups for consistent reliability in the long run now days. It got to the point that it was kind of a PITA though, so I mostly have got away from it.

I still will steal a scope off another gun to mount on a new rig for load work, then return it to the rightful owner when done wringing it out.

I may or may not test zero, depending on the application.

I'd say go for it, only you will know if it suits your expectations.

You can always put shltty glass back on 2 of them...... grin

Posted By: SKane Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
Can't say I understand or support the rationale but if somehow pressed to do so, the NXS is likely what I'd choose.
This is by no means going to be permanent, but a temporary (year or two) solution until I can afford to glass the other rifles appropriately. Was planning on a quick release like the Burris or Larue mounts, since all rifles have Picatinny rails to keep things as simple as possible.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
No flack, just a little bewilderment. The phrase, "Seemed like a good idea at the time", comes to mind.

How about two $750 scopes for ones you'll use the most, and leave the orphan bare for a bit, or since they have rails, put a $100 red dot like a Bushnell TRS25 on it? You might be surprised by how well you can shoot with one of those. Or, move one scope between the two least-used and leave one permanently (famous last words!) on Number One.

I'd be doing one "good" scope and two reliable inexpensive ones like Burris FFs, myself.

Have fun deciding.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
Did anyone tell you that this is a stupid idea?you’d Be better off with 3 50.00 tasco’s
Posted By: Higginez Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
Gotta be a silver scope to be worth the effort.

If it's black, I'd run two $300 scopes and a spendy one.
It's a silly idea.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
It's a silly idea.

Reason? other than the first line in your signature.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
There is a reason polygamy is illegal in most places....................
Defies common sense and just a plain schitty idea.
Originally Posted by boatanchor
There is a reason polygamy is illegal in most places....................
Defies common sense and just a plain schitty idea.

reason?
Posted By: Higginez Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
I've made the mistake myself.

Seems like a great idea on paper, but it really sucks in practice.

Same goes for multiple barrels for one action.

Having rifles zeroed and ready to hunt/shoot is where its at man.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
OrangeDiablo: Been there - tried that!
Just put good glass on each one, buy once cry once!
Blah-blah.
This is NOT "flack" this IS the voice of experience.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
SWFA has your answer. 2 SS 3-9 hds and a SS 6x, all w/ MQ reticles. Problem solved.

mike r
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
Good luck with your project.

I went down the B&L Bal-Var rabbit hole about 30 years ago and after awhile I decided that it wasn't the best way for me to go, so I went back to internally adjusted scopes on each rifle in lieu of a couple of non-adjustable scopes swapped between rifles with adjustable mounts.
Posted By: skeen Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/10/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker
SWFA has your answer. 2 SS 3-9 hds and a SS 6x, all w/ MQ reticles. Problem solved.

mike r

Pretty good suggestion here.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/11/20
I would agree that it sounds like a lot of work to keep swapping the scope. One scope per rifle is a lot simpler.
Posted By: timbo762 Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/11/20
the bases are $399.00 each and the rings are $279.00 !
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/11/20
What are the three rifles?
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/11/20
I would buy 3 VX-11 or VX111's, sight them in and go hunting!
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/11/20
This is by no means going to be permanent, but a temporary (year or two) solution until I can afford to glass the other rifles appropriately. Was planning on a quick release like the Burris or Larue mounts, since all rifles have Picatinny rails to keep things as simple as possible.

Can't see this being anything but a royal PITA. With so many decent optics out there I would be very surprised if you couldn't setup all three for $1500. What are the guns and your planned use for them?
Posted By: OrangeDiablo Re: Three guns, one scope - 08/11/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What are the three rifles?

Majority of the time, it will be between a 223 and a 260 at the range, so a few more shots to re-zero is no issue. The third I threw in on the rare occasion is a 300WM. I understand they are quite different ballistically. I also understand I don't necessarily need a 15 or 22x for a 223, but........
Posted By: hogan Re: Three guns, one scope - 10/10/20
To reliably swap scopes between rifles, you need a borescope-collimator. The Bushnell 74-3333 has a 160moa grid and 3 adjustable arbors. Redfield and Tasco boresighters, iirc, came with specific caliber arbors. Might be better?

Anyway... also need reliable mount system, preferably same base and rings. Also want an inch-pound torque wrench to assure fastener values.

Having same receiver helps minimize error. I have seen USRAC win 70 be more uniform than Rem 700 of any year. Very little chance of variation if using flat-top AR or reciver with integral picatinny rail. THAT really reduces potential error. Also want scope rings with single fastener and horizontal scope cradling rather than vertical.

The scope collimating grid enalbes verification that the base and rings are aligned with barrel. Using tactical type side-lever QR systems can deliver off-certer mounts. Not what you want for scope swapping. My experience also showed the Leupold QR mount system was not feasible for swapping. More than 1 scope for same rife? You're okay, but beween rifles they were all over tha place.

With scope turret settings dialed to exact mid position, or within 1-2 1/4" moa clicks, ought to see alignment with center of the colliator grid.
Scope(s) being swapped should center on each rifle. Receiver length variance may be a factor showing elevation variation, but windage position should stay constant at this on the bench set-up phase.

Assuming all mount systems position scope about same, and you're keeping a notebook for settings etc. Should be very close to able to use the collimator grid to change turret setting and get your zero back, or within an moa fraction. Your notebook should contain the different grid coordinates for each load or distance you sight-in for.

The collimator grid also enables diagnosis of scope movement problems and assures your settings haven't changed between firing sessions. Very portable and durable piece of gear. I think it's the best shooting accessory I've ever bought.
Posted By: model70man Re: Three guns, one scope - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by joes64gto

Not a new idea. Bausch & Lomb had it figured out and was one of their sales promotions. External adjustment scope with adjustable bases made swapping the scope to different rifles a simple process. Have done this with a Balvar 8 but used Leupold Adjusto mounts instead of B&L mounts. Model 70 and a 99Savage are the rifles. Once zeroed to rifle no adjustment needed after swapping.

I have several of the B&L scopes for use in the B&L or Kuharsky mounts. Those old scopes made in Rochester NY are still my favorites. The system works real well and saved me lots of money.
Posted By: Shadow Re: Three guns, one scope - 10/10/20
Buy 3 of these, problem solved:

https://www.swfa.com/sightron-3-16x42-s-tac-30mm-riflescope-3.html?___SID=U

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-s-tac-30mm-3-16x42-riflescope.html

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Three guns, one scope - 10/10/20
Orange Diablo: Been there done that - DON'T TRY IT!
About every ten years (since I turned 18 - so that's 5 1/2 decades now!) I get a case of the ass because of the expense of Rifle scopes - and I try variations of what you are contemplating (one scope switching between multiple Rifles).
I am NOT giving you "flak" I am trying to help save you long bouts of aggravation!
Buy one scope for each Rifle and get it and keep it settled in, sighted in and trustworthy.
Again, been there tried that - MULTIPLE TIMES!
Don't waste your time.
Best of luck to you with whichever "plan" you go with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Three guns, one scope - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Orange Diablo: Been there done that - DON'T TRY IT!
About every ten years (since I turned 18 - so that's 5 1/2 decades now!) I get a case of the ass because of the expense of Rifle scopes - and I try variations of what you are contemplating (one scope switching between multiple Rifles).
I am NOT giving you "flak" I am trying to help save you long bouts of aggravation!
Buy one scope for each Rifle and get it and keep it settled in, sighted in and trustworthy.
Again, been there tried that - MULTIPLE TIMES!
Don't waste your time.
Best of luck to you with whichever "plan" you go with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good post ^ ^
Posted By: pal Re: Three guns, one scope - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Higginez
...Having rifles zeroed and ready to hunt/shoot is where its at...

This sums it up well enough.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Three guns, one scope - 10/10/20
If the rifles happen to be the same model. EAW quick release might work. They are pretty expensive. I had seven or eight rifles of the same model. Started to try it but cost stopped me. Hasbeen
© 24hourcampfire