Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
It's a silly idea.

Reason? other than the first line in your signature.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There is a reason polygamy is illegal in most places....................
Defies common sense and just a plain schitty idea.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by boatanchor
There is a reason polygamy is illegal in most places....................
Defies common sense and just a plain schitty idea.

reason?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've made the mistake myself.

Seems like a great idea on paper, but it really sucks in practice.

Same goes for multiple barrels for one action.

Having rifles zeroed and ready to hunt/shoot is where its at man.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
OrangeDiablo: Been there - tried that!
Just put good glass on each one, buy once cry once!
Blah-blah.
This is NOT "flack" this IS the voice of experience.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
SWFA has your answer. 2 SS 3-9 hds and a SS 6x, all w/ MQ reticles. Problem solved.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck with your project.

I went down the B&L Bal-Var rabbit hole about 30 years ago and after awhile I decided that it wasn't the best way for me to go, so I went back to internally adjusted scopes on each rifle in lieu of a couple of non-adjustable scopes swapped between rifles with adjustable mounts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
SWFA has your answer. 2 SS 3-9 hds and a SS 6x, all w/ MQ reticles. Problem solved.

mike r

Pretty good suggestion here.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would agree that it sounds like a lot of work to keep swapping the scope. One scope per rifle is a lot simpler.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
the bases are $399.00 each and the rings are $279.00 !

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What are the three rifles?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I would buy 3 VX-11 or VX111's, sight them in and go hunting!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
This is by no means going to be permanent, but a temporary (year or two) solution until I can afford to glass the other rifles appropriately. Was planning on a quick release like the Burris or Larue mounts, since all rifles have Picatinny rails to keep things as simple as possible.

Can't see this being anything but a royal PITA. With so many decent optics out there I would be very surprised if you couldn't setup all three for $1500. What are the guns and your planned use for them?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What are the three rifles?

Majority of the time, it will be between a 223 and a 260 at the range, so a few more shots to re-zero is no issue. The third I threw in on the rare occasion is a 300WM. I understand they are quite different ballistically. I also understand I don't necessarily need a 15 or 22x for a 223, but........

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
To reliably swap scopes between rifles, you need a borescope-collimator. The Bushnell 74-3333 has a 160moa grid and 3 adjustable arbors. Redfield and Tasco boresighters, iirc, came with specific caliber arbors. Might be better?

Anyway... also need reliable mount system, preferably same base and rings. Also want an inch-pound torque wrench to assure fastener values.

Having same receiver helps minimize error. I have seen USRAC win 70 be more uniform than Rem 700 of any year. Very little chance of variation if using flat-top AR or reciver with integral picatinny rail. THAT really reduces potential error. Also want scope rings with single fastener and horizontal scope cradling rather than vertical.

The scope collimating grid enalbes verification that the base and rings are aligned with barrel. Using tactical type side-lever QR systems can deliver off-certer mounts. Not what you want for scope swapping. My experience also showed the Leupold QR mount system was not feasible for swapping. More than 1 scope for same rife? You're okay, but beween rifles they were all over tha place.

With scope turret settings dialed to exact mid position, or within 1-2 1/4" moa clicks, ought to see alignment with center of the colliator grid.
Scope(s) being swapped should center on each rifle. Receiver length variance may be a factor showing elevation variation, but windage position should stay constant at this on the bench set-up phase.

Assuming all mount systems position scope about same, and you're keeping a notebook for settings etc. Should be very close to able to use the collimator grid to change turret setting and get your zero back, or within an moa fraction. Your notebook should contain the different grid coordinates for each load or distance you sight-in for.

The collimator grid also enables diagnosis of scope movement problems and assures your settings haven't changed between firing sessions. Very portable and durable piece of gear. I think it's the best shooting accessory I've ever bought.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by joes64gto

Not a new idea. Bausch & Lomb had it figured out and was one of their sales promotions. External adjustment scope with adjustable bases made swapping the scope to different rifles a simple process. Have done this with a Balvar 8 but used Leupold Adjusto mounts instead of B&L mounts. Model 70 and a 99Savage are the rifles. Once zeroed to rifle no adjustment needed after swapping.

I have several of the B&L scopes for use in the B&L or Kuharsky mounts. Those old scopes made in Rochester NY are still my favorites. The system works real well and saved me lots of money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by Shadow; 10/10/20.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Orange Diablo: Been there done that - DON'T TRY IT!
About every ten years (since I turned 18 - so that's 5 1/2 decades now!) I get a case of the ass because of the expense of Rifle scopes - and I try variations of what you are contemplating (one scope switching between multiple Rifles).
I am NOT giving you "flak" I am trying to help save you long bouts of aggravation!
Buy one scope for each Rifle and get it and keep it settled in, sighted in and trustworthy.
Again, been there tried that - MULTIPLE TIMES!
Don't waste your time.
Best of luck to you with whichever "plan" you go with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Orange Diablo: Been there done that - DON'T TRY IT!
About every ten years (since I turned 18 - so that's 5 1/2 decades now!) I get a case of the ass because of the expense of Rifle scopes - and I try variations of what you are contemplating (one scope switching between multiple Rifles).
I am NOT giving you "flak" I am trying to help save you long bouts of aggravation!
Buy one scope for each Rifle and get it and keep it settled in, sighted in and trustworthy.
Again, been there tried that - MULTIPLE TIMES!
Don't waste your time.
Best of luck to you with whichever "plan" you go with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good post ^ ^

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higginez
...Having rifles zeroed and ready to hunt/shoot is where its at...

This sums it up well enough.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 65 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,884
Posts18,497,798
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.