Home
How often and under what circumstances do you turn the magnification down on your optic?

The only time I have personally is on very short range shots. I cannot think of a time where I have shot at anything less than mbpr with my scope dialed down.

What about you?
All the time. Where we hunt the ranges are never ever over 200 yds while at the same time we may have game at 20 feet.
Originally Posted by CrowHunterTN
How often and under what circumstances do you turn the magnification down on your optic?

The only time I have personally is on very short range shots. I cannot think of a time where I have shot at anything less than mbpr with my scope dialed down.

What about you?

Often when hunting in the thick stuff or dark timber. Its second nature. At the range, I run full mag on everything though. But for hunting, the magnification dial gets turned up and down depending on how far out I can see. My hunting scopes are 3-9x40 or 3.5-10 for the most part.
I keep my variable power scope set low, like 3X.
Close range shots on big game tend to happen quickly.
Long rang shots take more time to set up, and a second to turn your scope up higher power is minimal compared to doping the rang and wind, and finding a steady rest.
My variable power scopes are usually set to 6x for a nice balance of magnification and exit pupil.

I shoot quite a bit at 300 yards using a 1.5-4x20 scope, mostly set to 4x, so a deer looks as big as a house on 6x at any distance I'll be shooting.
Most of mine get set somewhere around 1-3X when I'm on foot or on my SxS which is generally on logging roads and trails. When I get to a stand location for deer or hogs, I generally have things set up to see 150yds+, so I dial up to 5-6X if it's a medium-range stand. If it's a spot where I'm shooting out to 400+, I'm usually at top magnification while I'm waiting, and this is usually 8-12X, depending on the scope. Several of the scopes I use at those longer-range spots have a BDC-style reticle and need to be at max power to make the SFP reticles work. If it's FFP, I'm not married to max power.
I set my variables on 4x or 5x when hunting and leave the scope alone.

What about you?
Its the opposite for me. I always keep my scopes set in the low power ranges. I only crank up to full power if I get an opportunity for a shot out past 300 yards or so.
Originally Posted by mathman
My variable power scopes are usually set to 6x for a nice balance of magnification and exit pupil.

I shoot quite a bit at 300 yards using a 1.5-4x20 scope, mostly set to 4x, so a deer looks as big as a house on 6x at any distance I'll be shooting.

Thats what I do, probably 99% of the time I'm set @ 6x which works well for me, only go higher if sitting on a hill watching the other side and would likely have a longer than normal shot.

What about you?

At long ranges, with mirage.
I mostly keep my scopes set at lower powers while hunting. The exact setting depends on the terrain, but mostly is 4-6x when using 3-9x and 3.5-10x scopes. If I'm in really thick stuff it might be lower. I usually have time to turn the scope up for longer shots when needed.
I hadn't really thought about the walking usage as most of my hunting time I am usually in a stand or a blind or around the house.

Going to and from the blinds it is usually dark so I normally have the rifle unloaded. I have only ever squirrel hunted with open sights or an old fixed 4x Simmons misfire scope.

Rest of the time was shooting at the range or muskrat in the lake all at full magnification.
Mine all stay on the lowest setting, FOV is far more important to me than X's. Most of my hunting is calling coyotes so even in big open country it is amazing how many don't appear until they are inside 40 yards. They are masters at using terrain to come in on their prey. All my coyote scopes are 2.5x and under on the bottom end

Still hunting and tracking deer it is amazing how close some will let you get before busting out. All my deer hunting scopes are 1.5x and under on the bottom end.

If a critter is out far enough to need the extra X's there is usually plenty of time to crank the power up. If they show up at your shoelaces there is rarely time to turn it down.
Frequently when shots are 100 yds. or under, or Im shooting at night.Or both.
Originally Posted by mathman

Funny how eyes differ.. I'd need a white cane and brail with that set up. I was shooting 400 yesterday with my 4.5-14x42 and wishing I had my 5-20 or 7-35x56 ATACR... I tend to want to shoot the 2" targets at that range though.. I'll shoot running jackrabbits at 30 feet on 6x.. No problemo..
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I mostly keep my scopes set at lower powers while hunting. The exact setting depends on the terrain, but mostly is 4-6x when using 3-9x and 3.5-10x scopes. If I'm in really thick stuff it might be lower. I usually have time to turn the scope up for longer shots when needed.

Same. It is sensible and works best for me, too.
CrowHunter: Somewhat rarely do I ever turn "down" the power on my variable power scopes.
Never, when I am developing loads, testing for accuracy on a new Rifle or checking for sight-in or verification of sight-in at the range.
Only exceptions are on the rare occasions when I am Hunting Elk in thick timber or Spring Black Bear Hunting in thicker vegetation or calling Coyotes near cover.
Pretty much leave my variable power scopes on highest power when Antelope Hunting, Mule Deer Hunting and of late I have been Hunting a ranch with long range only Whitetail Hunting.
When approaching "downed game animals" I turn my scopes to the lowest power.
Just this minute got home from my friends private range where I sighted in a new to me Rifle and never came off of highest power.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Always. Three quarters of the deer and elk I've killed have been at 1.5x, 2.5x or 3x, depending on the scope.

45 years ago leaving my Vari-X II on 9x cost me a very big buck. A lesson that has stuck with me ever since.........
IME, the biggest reasons to not be on max magnification are mirage, dim light, and small FOV. When none of those things is an issue more magnification is nice. Having said that, my default is to hunt with my variable scopes on low power, and then turn up the magnification for longer shots as mirage, light conditions, and FOV allow.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Frequently when shots are 100 yds. or under, or Im shooting at night.Or both.

yup!

For the type of daytime hunting I do its usually 3X to 5X initally. Almost always have time to screw up the power if necessary.

Always at night, which these days seem to be an increasing percentage of the time I'm "afield"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

5X @ 120 yds. Night time with the ATN 4K Pro.
I would prefer 3X for more field of view.

4X @ +/- 50 yds. Flir PST233 Thermal

2.9X (Native Magnification) @ +/- 65 yds. Bering Optics SuperHogster,

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
IME, the biggest reasons to not be on max magnification are mirage, dim light, and small FOV. When none of those things is an issue more magnification is nice. Having said that, my default is to hunt with my variable scopes on low power, and then turn up the magnification for longer shots as mirage, light conditions, and FOV allow.

I can't pm so otherwise I wouldn't post here like this but out of curiosity what what is your favorite general purpose hunting hunting scope.

Derailing my own thread. šŸ˜
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I can't pm so otherwise I wouldn't post here like this but out of curiosity what what is your favorite general purpose hunting hunting scope.

Derailing my own thread. šŸ˜

For general purpose hunting it would have to be the LRHS 3-12x. If weight or cost matter, the SS 3-9x would be it.
Depends on how you look at it. I only have a couple of variables on hand and the only one I'd tone down in the field rests atop a .416 Rigby. I have one Unertl that is 10X, not variable. A couple or three long tube sights mounted on muzzle loading target guns running 6-8X. The majority are 2.5X Weavers and Leupolds.

I twiddle fewer knobs than most.
When coyote calling I set my 4-12 variable at 6-8x. If I need to shoot at long range, Iā€™ll have time to crank it up.
I have several variables with top end of 18-20X. When shooting PDs I usually set the scope at 15X or so as more than that brings in mirage.
Whenever I'm moving or in cover, I'm dialed down to the lowest magnification.

IIRC, MD posted about guiding a hunter who kept playing with the magnification on his scope and missed a close shot because the scope was dialed up to 12x rather than down to 4x. If I got this wrong, I'm sure that someone will correct me.
Usually mostly.
Out west, I normally keep mine on 4X which is usable at close ranges or longer range if necessary. I know what the duplex reticle spans at 4X so I can use it as a rangefinder.

If time isnā€™t a factor as in sitting in a blind, Iā€™ll have it higher depending on the range Iā€™m expecting. As sunset approaches, I usually set it at the magnification that gives me a good exit pupil, usually about 6-8X depending on the scope.
It makes you wonder how any game was killed in the old days when a 4x was standard and a 6x or 3-9x was a powerful scope...
I always have my scope on 2-4x. I always say that I'll have time to crank up for a longer shot but no time to turn down on a close shot. I don't think that I ever have, though.
On big game I like to use the least amount of X that is practical for the distance. Larger FOV to spot hits or misses and see game reaction after the shot. Much quicker to get settled in and steadied up on targets as well. I use only FFP scopes if the range might call for dialing or use of the reticle for hold over. I only use graduated reticles, no BDC for me. Just find it a lot easier to have an actual measurement on the lense instead of arbitrary marks that may or may not line up with your loads and atmospheres.

Some would argue that lower X - 6X or so - lacks precision for longish range shots. But, I've shot plenty of tight groups with low X - 6-10x at 5-700 yds. 10+ is ok if you're going to 1k now and then or if your targets are small, such as varmints.

For close range work in thick cover, like tracking in the snow or still hunting, I like 1-4 or 1-5 or 2-7 SFP variables. I usually set them to 2.5. I don't care to see the barrel but still like as wide of fov as possible.
Dusk
Dawn
Thickets
Mirage
Always dialed down at first. That's what a variable is for.
Most of my scopes are 3-9X or similar. I do use a few 1-4x scopes. I zero them at max magnification. But 99.9% of my hunting is on the lowest magnification. If I need to make a close range shot I won't have time to twist it to lower magnification. I've killed deer out to 200 yards with a scope set on 2.5X. If I need to take a longer shot I have plenty of time to move to the max magnification. Which happens very rarely. I've NEVER used anything but the 2 extremes even at the range.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Most of my scopes are 3-9X or similar. I do use a few 1-4x scopes. I zero them at max magnification. But 99.9% of my hunting is on the lowest magnification. If I need to make a close range shot I won't have time to twist it to lower magnification. I've killed deer out to 200 yards with a scope set on 2.5X. If I need to take a longer shot I have plenty of time to move to the max magnification. Which happens very rarely. I've NEVER used anything but the 2 extremes even at the range.

What is your preferred 3-9 scope, if you don't mind me asking?
When hunting, I always have my scope on or near the lowest power. Where I hunt the ranges are pretty close, so like others have said, you have more time to turn the scope up for the long shots than turn it down for the close shots.
At the range, I'll crank it up for sighting in and load development.
A lot of our hunting areas are extremely thick in some spots and then break out into huge meadows, open areas, or rimrocks above big canyons. When in the thick stuff I always turn down to my minimum power, which is usually 3-4X on most of my scopes. Sighting to shoot in the thick stuff isn't really a problem at higher magnifications, but seeing through the thick stuff on higher magnifications to see an animal is tough. I have quite often broken out into open areas and found game, turned my power ring up to max, and made a shot on game, sometimes running game- without any issues in fairly quick order. I have to assume it is like a lot of the things I do- I previsualize what I have to do if this or that event is going to occur so it is in my mind to be ready. When the time comes it is like muscle memory and habit just takes over. Kind of like remembering to take your safety off before a shot- which I'm guilty of screwing up at times....

Bob
Most of my big game rifles have 2.5-8 Leupolds on them. In heavy timber I go down to 2.5X.
I run them at 4x most of the time. I started with 4x scopes and still find that to be the most useful setting
If I need more than 4 power, and where I hunt that is very rarely, I usually have time to go up.

Varmint hunting, usually with 3-9 or 3.5-10 scopes I run 6x as a starting setting.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
When hunting, I always have my scope on or near the lowest power. Where I hunt the ranges are pretty close, so like others have said, you have more time to turn the scope up for the long shots than turn it down for the close shots.
At the range, I'll crank it up for sighting in and load development.

Me too. I've had instances with a fixed 4x where it was too much magnification on a close or running shot. My variables all go down to 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3.5 on the bottom end and 99.9% of the time that is where they are when I am hunting. If a long shot presents itself there is plenty of time to turn them up.
I'm hunting in short range woods. Most of the rifles I actually hunt with have a fixed 4X or 6X, but one is a 3-9X variable. The variable on I usually leave on 6X, but occasionally turn down to 4X.
I shot about a dozen deer and an antelope this past fall, and never once did I hit max magnification. Absolutely never ever walk around on anything but minimum magnification. I can get a quick shot off at low mag as long as I can see the animal. The antelope was just shy of 400 yards and I turned a 2.5-15x42 up to only 10-12x. On a 300 yard whitetail I only used 7-8x. I consider it pretty basic hunter training - walk around with scope on low power. If you want to turn it up and leave while sitting over a field, fine.
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I shot about a dozen deer and an antelope this past fall, and never once did I hit max magnification. Absolutely never ever walk around on anything but minimum magnification. I can get a quick shot off at low mag as long as I can see the animal. The antelope was just shy of 400 yards and I turned a 2.5-15x42 up to only 10-12x. On a 300 yard whitetail I only used 7-8x. I consider it pretty basic hunter training - walk around with scope on low power. If you want to turn it up and leave while sitting over a field, fine.

What scope were you using by chance? The Credo or something else?
Try to never leave them up.

Usually keep them 4-6, turn them up when possible.

Better to not see well than not see.
My scopes stay on 4 or 6 power. If I am anywhere that I have shots over 300 yards, then i will go higher

What about you?

this is an interesting question. it also gets to the heart of weather or not you should choose FFP or SFP. for most of my hunting I use the lowest power and only dial up for a shot that is long range. 90% of shots are normally point and shoot. I see a use for middle range power only on colony varmints. That is the situation that I find I like using holdover instead of dialing too. shots are flying and I find myself just prefering to walk shots in that missed by holding a little more or less for the next shot. so maybe I choose FFP in that case or maybe not.
Originally Posted by Anaconda
I keep my variable power scope set low, like 3X.
Close range shots on big game tend to happen quickly.
Long rang shots take more time to set up, and a second to turn your scope up higher power is minimal compared to doping the rang and wind, and finding a steady rest.

I don't need to answer. You said exactly what I would have.
yup, and IMHO thats how you are supposed to run a variable. Always set or left on the lowest X period. Turn up if needed. If needed the time is there then too.

Yep Credo 2.5-15x42. Loved it but never used over 10-12x and got a deal on a 2.5-10x42 NXS and I am in love with it. So easy to get behindā€¦and like the Credo, it will stay on 2.5x which is where most animals were killed with the Credo.
Heck, I just figured everyone left a variable on the lowest setting until they needed more Xs. If I needed to hunt with a maxed out 9-10x, Iā€™d probably have a fixed 10x on all sorts of stuff. Other than the range, anything I have that goes over 4-6x at the top, rarely gets there.
I mostly use 3.5-10 power scopes. Most ranges I hunt I keep my scope on 7x. I turn up or down depending on where I am hunting. Lower in the thick woods and higher if Im in the open and expect a longer shot. I don't get hung up on using the lowest power. I just make the call based on what I think the situation calls for a hunt.
Originally Posted by amax155
My scopes stay on 4 or 6 power. If I am anywhere that I have shots over 300 yards, then i will go higher

Me too
I very rarely have mine set on the lowest power, but have it set at about 5-6X. Heck, made my longest shot ever on a critter without touching the magnification ring. I very rarely seem to touch the mag ring when in the field. One year on a pronghorn trip, I was curious about folks that use fixed 10X so I kept my scope at 10X the whole trip. At least for those critters in that country I did not find that to be a hindrance at all.
12 or 15X on a deer at 75 yards? Come on...

I'm more likely to shoot a coyote at 2.5X at 200..........

Yep Credo 2.5-15x42. Loved it but never used over 10-12x and got a deal on a 2.5-10x42 NXS and I am in love with it. So easy to get behindā€¦and like the Credo, it will stay on 2.5x which is where most animals were killed with the Credo.

Hi Chris, which NXS reticle did you pick?
Really like NXS but mine sometimes seem a little thin in low light, so curious what you think.
Tim
Always

Mine stays at the lowest power except when I turn it up for a specific shot. Say I have a 3-9X. If I were hunting with a rifle such that 6x were reasonable, I'd sell the 3-9X and replace it with a 6.5-20X.

Tom
I use the highest magnification when zeroing. But if I am carrying a scoped rifle I have the magnification as low as it will go, 100% of the time.

In fact I can remember about 3 kills in the last 30 years where I cranked it higher then the low setting. You see, making the target look bigger doesn't actually make the target bigger, and more magnification limits the field of view so I don't do it. If I can hold where I need to on 2X or on 3X to make a kill making the elk or deer look larger doesn't make the hold steadier.

So I leave them on low power and when it's time to fire, I fire. The large field of view makes an accurate shot faster with no more difficulty at all.
It's rare for me not to be on full mag. I bring a rifle and scope commensurate with my expectations of what the hunting will be like. The only time I have dialed down power is when varmint hunting, the varmint is too close. Less than 50 yards.
The average shot is 100+ yards, so full power.
Not a mag whore. Rarely are my scopes dialed up over 6x. Shot a doe at 540 yards and used 10x.
Originally Posted by 260madman
Not a mag whore. Rarely are my scopes dialed up over 6x. Shot a doe at 540 yards and used 10x.

12X on my LRTS was plenty for a 522 yard skunk eating chicken bones i chunked out for coyotes too ; ]
Originally Posted by stealthgoat

Hi Chris, which NXS reticle did you pick?
Really like NXS but mine sometimes seem a little thin in low light, so curious what you think.
Tim

MIL-R, it's a bit thin but the green illumination is fantastic and solves that problem.

Thanks, I need to try the MIL-R.
There's a few reasons why I shoot a fixed 4x....
Originally Posted by mauserfan

There are many reasons why I use a variable scope.
10 years ago I hunted with a Leupold 2x7.
The power ring was very hard turn.
One year I shot a number of deer average 400 yards stuck on 7X.
The next year I shot a number of deer average 400 yards stuck on 2X.

Now I use much better scopes, but I am not hunting any better.
When going to or coming from stand, mostly when boots are on the ground, I keep mine on the lowest X. When on stand, typically set at 6-7 depending on cover and expected range. Can't always make a quick adjustment when hunting close cover but typically easy to crank up the Xs when game is distant and undisturbed.
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by mauserfan

There are many reasons why I use a variable scope.

There are a few reasons why I shoot both. smile
Always use less than full magnification. On a 2.5-10 variable it's set on 4 usually. Now I stand hunt in Sask for big whitetails and shots are set at about 100yds. Also hunt elk here. Call move call move. You get the idea. Anyways when trophy deer hunting if a buck comes in that interests me and I don't have my binos then I will crank it up. Hope this helps.
For open country west I carry my scope set on 4X. The only time I have cranked it higher was on a lasered 337 yard shot, the longest I ever shot.
I never use full magnification on any scope but I appreciate things like clarity, field of view, reduced mirage effect, better light transmission, and tighter groups. For anything under 200 yds hunting I prefer as low as a 2 power scope and my rule of thumb that works well is add 1 for 1...........At 600 yds I use 6 power and at 1000 yds I use 10 power! IME that is the sweet spot on scope usage.

Magnification does exactly what it implies.....it magnifies mirage, parralax error, less than optimal glass or any imperfections in especially a cheaper scope
Trystain,

Post some "pictures" of "your" rifles...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Day Dreaming DUMBfhuqks are HILARIOUS,in your aspirations. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Trystain,

Post some "pictures" of "your" rifles...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Day Dreaming DUMBfhuqks are HILARIOUS,in your aspirations. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

I know your busy being a know it all dickheaf right now but I was curious as to which bushnell scope with the lit reticle you were talking up the other day. I'm thinking about getting one even though I can't afford it! Also is the turret system solid??? I'm assuming it is or you wouldn't be waisting your time. Please try to reply in English so I can understand what the phuqk your saying

Thanks
Lowest magnification unless I need more.
Mine stay at the lowest setting unles I see something far away.
I've never used anything more then a fixed 6x40 -6x 42 power for 35 + yrs from 20 yards out to 750
from the thick woods of maine to the wide open praries of eastern montana and south dakota and every type of terrain on between ,never needed more and I've never missed
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Out west, I normally keep mine on 4X which is usable at close ranges or longer range if necessary. I know what the duplex reticle spans at 4X so I can use it as a rangefinder.

If time isnā€™t a factor as in sitting in a blind, Iā€™ll have it higher depending on the range Iā€™m expecting. As sunset approaches, I usually set it at the magnification that gives me a good exit pupil, usually about 6-8X depending on the scope.

???

You have to know the simple ratio determining exit pupil...
For many years I ran 3x Leupies on most rifles because there was a reasonable chance I might bump into a bear at close range and 3x was more than enough for circumstances. These days it is hard to keep track of the different rifles and unique scopes used.

A few bears (+) have died looking the wrong way through a 6x42 Leupie at a broad span of ranges. Age makes it harder to deal with what the scope gives you. These days adding a few x works better. But mostly I will run near the bottom of the scale. My 375AI is usually at 1x and moose, big bears, and bison seem to fit nicely in the FOV.

Many times I have seen people screw themselves by running scopes near the upper end of the magnification range when the huge targets and short ranges did not support the idea.
© 24hourcampfire