Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There's a few reasons why I shoot a fixed 4x....

RAVENS & WOLVES
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mauserfan

There are many reasons why I use a variable scope.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10 years ago I hunted with a Leupold 2x7.
The power ring was very hard turn.
One year I shot a number of deer average 400 yards stuck on 7X.
The next year I shot a number of deer average 400 yards stuck on 2X.

Now I use much better scopes, but I am not hunting any better.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When going to or coming from stand, mostly when boots are on the ground, I keep mine on the lowest X. When on stand, typically set at 6-7 depending on cover and expected range. Can't always make a quick adjustment when hunting close cover but typically easy to crank up the Xs when game is distant and undisturbed.

Last edited by 257Bob; 03/30/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by mauserfan

There are many reasons why I use a variable scope.

There are a few reasons why I shoot both. smile

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Always use less than full magnification. On a 2.5-10 variable it's set on 4 usually. Now I stand hunt in Sask for big whitetails and shots are set at about 100yds. Also hunt elk here. Call move call move. You get the idea. Anyways when trophy deer hunting if a buck comes in that interests me and I don't have my binos then I will crank it up. Hope this helps.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
For open country west I carry my scope set on 4X. The only time I have cranked it higher was on a lasered 337 yard shot, the longest I ever shot.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I never use full magnification on any scope but I appreciate things like clarity, field of view, reduced mirage effect, better light transmission, and tighter groups. For anything under 200 yds hunting I prefer as low as a 2 power scope and my rule of thumb that works well is add 1 for 1...........At 600 yds I use 6 power and at 1000 yds I use 10 power! IME that is the sweet spot on scope usage.

Magnification does exactly what it implies.....it magnifies mirage, parralax error, less than optimal glass or any imperfections in especially a cheaper scope

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trystain,

Post some "pictures" of "your" rifles...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Day Dreaming DUMBfhuqks are HILARIOUS,in your aspirations. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Trystain,

Post some "pictures" of "your" rifles...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Day Dreaming DUMBfhuqks are HILARIOUS,in your aspirations. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

I know your busy being a know it all dickheaf right now but I was curious as to which bushnell scope with the lit reticle you were talking up the other day. I'm thinking about getting one even though I can't afford it! Also is the turret system solid??? I'm assuming it is or you wouldn't be waisting your time. Please try to reply in English so I can understand what the phuqk your saying

Thanks

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lowest magnification unless I need more.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mine stay at the lowest setting unles I see something far away.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've never used anything more then a fixed 6x40 -6x 42 power for 35 + yrs from 20 yards out to 750
from the thick woods of maine to the wide open praries of eastern montana and south dakota and every type of terrain on between ,never needed more and I've never missed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Out west, I normally keep mine on 4X which is usable at close ranges or longer range if necessary. I know what the duplex reticle spans at 4X so I can use it as a rangefinder.

If time isn’t a factor as in sitting in a blind, I’ll have it higher depending on the range I’m expecting. As sunset approaches, I usually set it at the magnification that gives me a good exit pupil, usually about 6-8X depending on the scope.

???

You have to know the simple ratio determining exit pupil...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For many years I ran 3x Leupies on most rifles because there was a reasonable chance I might bump into a bear at close range and 3x was more than enough for circumstances. These days it is hard to keep track of the different rifles and unique scopes used.

A few bears (+) have died looking the wrong way through a 6x42 Leupie at a broad span of ranges. Age makes it harder to deal with what the scope gives you. These days adding a few x works better. But mostly I will run near the bottom of the scale. My 375AI is usually at 1x and moose, big bears, and bison seem to fit nicely in the FOV.

Many times I have seen people screw themselves by running scopes near the upper end of the magnification range when the huge targets and short ranges did not support the idea.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,378
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.