Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
How often and under what circumstances do you turn the magnification down on your optic?

The only time I have personally is on very short range shots. I cannot think of a time where I have shot at anything less than mbpr with my scope dialed down.

What about you?

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
All the time. Where we hunt the ranges are never ever over 200 yds while at the same time we may have game at 20 feet.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CrowHunterTN
How often and under what circumstances do you turn the magnification down on your optic?

The only time I have personally is on very short range shots. I cannot think of a time where I have shot at anything less than mbpr with my scope dialed down.

What about you?

Often when hunting in the thick stuff or dark timber. Its second nature. At the range, I run full mag on everything though. But for hunting, the magnification dial gets turned up and down depending on how far out I can see. My hunting scopes are 3-9x40 or 3.5-10 for the most part.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I keep my variable power scope set low, like 3X.
Close range shots on big game tend to happen quickly.
Long rang shots take more time to set up, and a second to turn your scope up higher power is minimal compared to doping the rang and wind, and finding a steady rest.

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My variable power scopes are usually set to 6x for a nice balance of magnification and exit pupil.

I shoot quite a bit at 300 yards using a 1.5-4x20 scope, mostly set to 4x, so a deer looks as big as a house on 6x at any distance I'll be shooting.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of mine get set somewhere around 1-3X when I'm on foot or on my SxS which is generally on logging roads and trails. When I get to a stand location for deer or hogs, I generally have things set up to see 150yds+, so I dial up to 5-6X if it's a medium-range stand. If it's a spot where I'm shooting out to 400+, I'm usually at top magnification while I'm waiting, and this is usually 8-12X, depending on the scope. Several of the scopes I use at those longer-range spots have a BDC-style reticle and need to be at max power to make the SFP reticles work. If it's FFP, I'm not married to max power.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I set my variables on 4x or 5x when hunting and leave the scope alone.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

What about you?
Its the opposite for me. I always keep my scopes set in the low power ranges. I only crank up to full power if I get an opportunity for a shot out past 300 yards or so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
My variable power scopes are usually set to 6x for a nice balance of magnification and exit pupil.

I shoot quite a bit at 300 yards using a 1.5-4x20 scope, mostly set to 4x, so a deer looks as big as a house on 6x at any distance I'll be shooting.

Thats what I do, probably 99% of the time I'm set @ 6x which works well for me, only go higher if sitting on a hill watching the other side and would likely have a longer than normal shot.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What about you?

At long ranges, with mirage.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I mostly keep my scopes set at lower powers while hunting. The exact setting depends on the terrain, but mostly is 4-6x when using 3-9x and 3.5-10x scopes. If I'm in really thick stuff it might be lower. I usually have time to turn the scope up for longer shots when needed.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I hadn't really thought about the walking usage as most of my hunting time I am usually in a stand or a blind or around the house.

Going to and from the blinds it is usually dark so I normally have the rifle unloaded. I have only ever squirrel hunted with open sights or an old fixed 4x Simmons misfire scope.

Rest of the time was shooting at the range or muskrat in the lake all at full magnification.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine all stay on the lowest setting, FOV is far more important to me than X's. Most of my hunting is calling coyotes so even in big open country it is amazing how many don't appear until they are inside 40 yards. They are masters at using terrain to come in on their prey. All my coyote scopes are 2.5x and under on the bottom end

Still hunting and tracking deer it is amazing how close some will let you get before busting out. All my deer hunting scopes are 1.5x and under on the bottom end.

If a critter is out far enough to need the extra X's there is usually plenty of time to crank the power up. If they show up at your shoelaces there is rarely time to turn it down.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Frequently when shots are 100 yds. or under, or Im shooting at night.Or both.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

Funny how eyes differ.. I'd need a white cane and brail with that set up. I was shooting 400 yesterday with my 4.5-14x42 and wishing I had my 5-20 or 7-35x56 ATACR... I tend to want to shoot the 2" targets at that range though.. I'll shoot running jackrabbits at 30 feet on 6x.. No problemo..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I mostly keep my scopes set at lower powers while hunting. The exact setting depends on the terrain, but mostly is 4-6x when using 3-9x and 3.5-10x scopes. If I'm in really thick stuff it might be lower. I usually have time to turn the scope up for longer shots when needed.

Same. It is sensible and works best for me, too.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
CrowHunter: Somewhat rarely do I ever turn "down" the power on my variable power scopes.
Never, when I am developing loads, testing for accuracy on a new Rifle or checking for sight-in or verification of sight-in at the range.
Only exceptions are on the rare occasions when I am Hunting Elk in thick timber or Spring Black Bear Hunting in thicker vegetation or calling Coyotes near cover.
Pretty much leave my variable power scopes on highest power when Antelope Hunting, Mule Deer Hunting and of late I have been Hunting a ranch with long range only Whitetail Hunting.
When approaching "downed game animals" I turn my scopes to the lowest power.
Just this minute got home from my friends private range where I sighted in a new to me Rifle and never came off of highest power.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Always. Three quarters of the deer and elk I've killed have been at 1.5x, 2.5x or 3x, depending on the scope.

45 years ago leaving my Vari-X II on 9x cost me a very big buck. A lesson that has stuck with me ever since.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IME, the biggest reasons to not be on max magnification are mirage, dim light, and small FOV. When none of those things is an issue more magnification is nice. Having said that, my default is to hunt with my variable scopes on low power, and then turn up the magnification for longer shots as mirage, light conditions, and FOV allow.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Frequently when shots are 100 yds. or under, or Im shooting at night.Or both.

yup!

For the type of daytime hunting I do its usually 3X to 5X initally. Almost always have time to screw up the power if necessary.

Always at night, which these days seem to be an increasing percentage of the time I'm "afield"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

5X @ 120 yds. Night time with the ATN 4K Pro.
I would prefer 3X for more field of view.

4X @ +/- 50 yds. Flir PST233 Thermal

2.9X (Native Magnification) @ +/- 65 yds. Bering Optics SuperHogster,

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260Remguy, 63 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,909
Posts18,518,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.