Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
IME, the biggest reasons to not be on max magnification are mirage, dim light, and small FOV. When none of those things is an issue more magnification is nice. Having said that, my default is to hunt with my variable scopes on low power, and then turn up the magnification for longer shots as mirage, light conditions, and FOV allow.

I can't pm so otherwise I wouldn't post here like this but out of curiosity what what is your favorite general purpose hunting hunting scope.

Derailing my own thread. 😁

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrowHunterTN
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
IME, the biggest reasons to not be on max magnification are mirage, dim light, and small FOV. When none of those things is an issue more magnification is nice. Having said that, my default is to hunt with my variable scopes on low power, and then turn up the magnification for longer shots as mirage, light conditions, and FOV allow.

I can't pm so otherwise I wouldn't post here like this but out of curiosity what what is your favorite general purpose hunting hunting scope.

Derailing my own thread. 😁

For general purpose hunting it would have to be the LRHS 3-12x. If weight or cost matter, the SS 3-9x would be it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Depends on how you look at it. I only have a couple of variables on hand and the only one I'd tone down in the field rests atop a .416 Rigby. I have one Unertl that is 10X, not variable. A couple or three long tube sights mounted on muzzle loading target guns running 6-8X. The majority are 2.5X Weavers and Leupolds.

I twiddle fewer knobs than most.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When coyote calling I set my 4-12 variable at 6-8x. If I need to shoot at long range, I’ll have time to crank it up.
I have several variables with top end of 18-20X. When shooting PDs I usually set the scope at 15X or so as more than that brings in mirage.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Whenever I'm moving or in cover, I'm dialed down to the lowest magnification.

IIRC, MD posted about guiding a hunter who kept playing with the magnification on his scope and missed a close shot because the scope was dialed up to 12x rather than down to 4x. If I got this wrong, I'm sure that someone will correct me.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Usually mostly.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Out west, I normally keep mine on 4X which is usable at close ranges or longer range if necessary. I know what the duplex reticle spans at 4X so I can use it as a rangefinder.

If time isn’t a factor as in sitting in a blind, I’ll have it higher depending on the range I’m expecting. As sunset approaches, I usually set it at the magnification that gives me a good exit pupil, usually about 6-8X depending on the scope.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
It makes you wonder how any game was killed in the old days when a 4x was standard and a 6x or 3-9x was a powerful scope...
I always have my scope on 2-4x. I always say that I'll have time to crank up for a longer shot but no time to turn down on a close shot. I don't think that I ever have, though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On big game I like to use the least amount of X that is practical for the distance. Larger FOV to spot hits or misses and see game reaction after the shot. Much quicker to get settled in and steadied up on targets as well. I use only FFP scopes if the range might call for dialing or use of the reticle for hold over. I only use graduated reticles, no BDC for me. Just find it a lot easier to have an actual measurement on the lense instead of arbitrary marks that may or may not line up with your loads and atmospheres.

Some would argue that lower X - 6X or so - lacks precision for longish range shots. But, I've shot plenty of tight groups with low X - 6-10x at 5-700 yds. 10+ is ok if you're going to 1k now and then or if your targets are small, such as varmints.

For close range work in thick cover, like tracking in the snow or still hunting, I like 1-4 or 1-5 or 2-7 SFP variables. I usually set them to 2.5. I don't care to see the barrel but still like as wide of fov as possible.

Last edited by Starbuck; 03/27/22.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dusk
Dawn
Thickets
Mirage

Trump Won!
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Always dialed down at first. That's what a variable is for.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most of my scopes are 3-9X or similar. I do use a few 1-4x scopes. I zero them at max magnification. But 99.9% of my hunting is on the lowest magnification. If I need to make a close range shot I won't have time to twist it to lower magnification. I've killed deer out to 200 yards with a scope set on 2.5X. If I need to take a longer shot I have plenty of time to move to the max magnification. Which happens very rarely. I've NEVER used anything but the 2 extremes even at the range.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JMR40
Most of my scopes are 3-9X or similar. I do use a few 1-4x scopes. I zero them at max magnification. But 99.9% of my hunting is on the lowest magnification. If I need to make a close range shot I won't have time to twist it to lower magnification. I've killed deer out to 200 yards with a scope set on 2.5X. If I need to take a longer shot I have plenty of time to move to the max magnification. Which happens very rarely. I've NEVER used anything but the 2 extremes even at the range.

What is your preferred 3-9 scope, if you don't mind me asking?

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
When hunting, I always have my scope on or near the lowest power. Where I hunt the ranges are pretty close, so like others have said, you have more time to turn the scope up for the long shots than turn it down for the close shots.
At the range, I'll crank it up for sighting in and load development.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of our hunting areas are extremely thick in some spots and then break out into huge meadows, open areas, or rimrocks above big canyons. When in the thick stuff I always turn down to my minimum power, which is usually 3-4X on most of my scopes. Sighting to shoot in the thick stuff isn't really a problem at higher magnifications, but seeing through the thick stuff on higher magnifications to see an animal is tough. I have quite often broken out into open areas and found game, turned my power ring up to max, and made a shot on game, sometimes running game- without any issues in fairly quick order. I have to assume it is like a lot of the things I do- I previsualize what I have to do if this or that event is going to occur so it is in my mind to be ready. When the time comes it is like muscle memory and habit just takes over. Kind of like remembering to take your safety off before a shot- which I'm guilty of screwing up at times....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Most of my big game rifles have 2.5-8 Leupolds on them. In heavy timber I go down to 2.5X.
I run them at 4x most of the time. I started with 4x scopes and still find that to be the most useful setting
If I need more than 4 power, and where I hunt that is very rarely, I usually have time to go up.

Varmint hunting, usually with 3-9 or 3.5-10 scopes I run 6x as a starting setting.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
When hunting, I always have my scope on or near the lowest power. Where I hunt the ranges are pretty close, so like others have said, you have more time to turn the scope up for the long shots than turn it down for the close shots.
At the range, I'll crank it up for sighting in and load development.

Me too. I've had instances with a fixed 4x where it was too much magnification on a close or running shot. My variables all go down to 1.5, 2, 2.5, or 3.5 on the bottom end and 99.9% of the time that is where they are when I am hunting. If a long shot presents itself there is plenty of time to turn them up.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm hunting in short range woods. Most of the rifles I actually hunt with have a fixed 4X or 6X, but one is a 3-9X variable. The variable on I usually leave on 6X, but occasionally turn down to 4X.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot about a dozen deer and an antelope this past fall, and never once did I hit max magnification. Absolutely never ever walk around on anything but minimum magnification. I can get a quick shot off at low mag as long as I can see the animal. The antelope was just shy of 400 yards and I turned a 2.5-15x42 up to only 10-12x. On a 300 yard whitetail I only used 7-8x. I consider it pretty basic hunter training - walk around with scope on low power. If you want to turn it up and leave while sitting over a field, fine.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I shot about a dozen deer and an antelope this past fall, and never once did I hit max magnification. Absolutely never ever walk around on anything but minimum magnification. I can get a quick shot off at low mag as long as I can see the animal. The antelope was just shy of 400 yards and I turned a 2.5-15x42 up to only 10-12x. On a 300 yard whitetail I only used 7-8x. I consider it pretty basic hunter training - walk around with scope on low power. If you want to turn it up and leave while sitting over a field, fine.

What scope were you using by chance? The Credo or something else?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10Glocks, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,875
Posts18,518,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.