Home
Posted By: longarm Recommend an RF please - 10/31/22
I'm using a vortex and am not overwhelmingly impressed. It seems to do fine out to 400 or so, then after that forget about it.

This will be for hunting. I don't care for a tremendous amount of fancy features. 6x +. Good on animals to 600 yd, rocks/bushes 1K.

What would you recommend?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Recommend an RF please - 10/31/22
Get one of these before they sell out.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...Dot-30mm-Matte-Black-Riflescope-290.aspx
For straight up no hassle easy to use, quick, and excellent glass, my vote goes to the Leica 2400. Loving mine. Easily range all kinds of stuff out to 2400 yards. I paid $400 for mine, but that was after receiving in store coupons of $100.00.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

That link is for a rifle scope.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Recommend an RF please - 10/31/22
Anything SIG is the easy button and you shouldn’t have to put a ton either.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Recommend an RF please - 10/31/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

That link is for a rifle scope.

I am a damn dolt. My mind immediately went to Rear Focal.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Did you read the other thread regarding poor warranty?
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Recommend an RF please - 10/31/22
I hunted with a guy that had a Sig 1800 a few years ago. He was ranging all sorts of stuff that I couldn't pick up with my Nikon Rifleman. I bought a Leupold RX1600 after that hunt. It works great in daytime conditions but the red LED reticle on the lowest setting is too bright in low light. Apparently it will get dimmer but then it'll get too dim and I'll need another new unit.

Nah, I sure haven't. But after using Leica for a few years and now a SIG 2400 for a good amount of time, along with my brother and buddies running the 2200's I don't worry too much. I hate electronics stuff, but the RF's are a must have these days. Leica isn't exactly a sterling example of warranty support either, so I take my chances with stuff that works for me.
In terms of pure RF performance, I've owned a few Sigs and a few Leicas, and the Leicas all have outperformed the Sigs in terms of ranging capability versus rated distances. Even the Bushnell Fusion 1600 I owned outperformed the Sig 2000 and 2200s I've had. I'm underwhelmed by all the Sig RFs I've owned and used, to be honest. I would go Leica.

Nah, I sure haven't. But after using Leica for a few years and now a SIG 2400 for a good amount of time, along with my brother and buddies running the 2200's I don't worry too much. I hate electronics stuff, but the RF's are a must have these days. Leica isn't exactly a sterling example of warranty support either, so I take my chances with stuff that works for me.

I based my decision off of other people that have had excellent experiences with Leica and then I reviewed all the competitors. The sig 2200 was awfully close to Leica 2400 I ended up buying, but there were some bad reviews I read on the Sig vs the Leica. The local shop told me today that if anything happens to them, bring them back and they will take care of me. That has also been part of the reason for buying Leica over the competitors. Having just compared my Leica 2400 to a set of Vortex Fury 5000 range finding bino's last week, I also would not go with Vortex. The glass is just not as good, and by a long ways. My new Leica 10x42 Geovids are excellent as well. They range further out than my buddies Vortex Fury 5000's, are easier to use and the glass is much better. I guess call me a Leica fanboy, but I really like the glass quality. Ranging with the 2400 is damn good. I've never used anything quite as fast as the Leica's and they range furry beasts out to what is written on the side of them. Unlike a bunch of others, that have issues in that regard. The Geovids ranged a cow at 1203 today, which I thought was pretty damn good. I'll be putting those to some good use for sure.
I agree on Leica's glass. I don't believe anyone makes better stuff to look through for sure.

I am not doggin Leica's, since I still use my older Leica's for GP stuff. I just got a deal on the Sig 2400's and haven't had an issue with them. Next step for me is RF bino's and chances are, they might be Leica's.
I agree on Leica's glass. I don't believe anyone makes better stuff to look through for sure.

I am not doggin Leica's, since I still use my older Leica's for GP stuff. I just got a deal on the Sig 2400's and haven't had an issue with them. Next step for me is RF bino's and chances are, they might be Leica's.

I was going to ask if you had a set of range finding bino's, but I figured you already had a set. I'll tell you, I got impatient with these Leica's. I looked at them last Friday and they were on clearance here. They are moving them out to make room for a new model. I did some research and I believe the new Geovid 10x42R is going to have a ranging distance of 2,000 yards. The ones I bought today are 1200. I could not pass up the deal on them though, because I saw the same exact model on ebay for $1,400.00 and I got these for $1,199.00. The new Geovids will likely be around $1,500.00+...
I’ve had the Zeiss and Swaro versions and while nice were heavier than I liked.

The Leicas are pretty nice though. I’ll look at them more after the 1st of the year.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Recommend an RF please - 10/31/22
How is the reticle in low light on the Leica and Sig's? It seems like any $300 RF will do a pretty good job in good light.
Posted By: IDMilton Re: Recommend an RF please - 10/31/22
What vortex do you have? My brothers ranger 1000 has worked well for us. And the razor 4000 has good reviews. Those would fix the warranty problem.

I now use rangefinding binoculars, but I had Maven RF1 briefly and it was great it also has a good warranty.
I find the maven intriguing, never used one though.
Posted By: longarm Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/01/22
Appreciate the responses, fellas.
IDMilton, Ireasonable question.. I can't recall at the moment, sorry. It's a lower level unit. This evening it was ranging nicely to 560, which surprised me. Anyway it's time to upgrade
For straight up no hassle easy to use, quick, and excellent glass, my vote goes to the Leica 2400. Loving mine. Easily range all kinds of stuff out to 2400 yards. I paid $400 for mine, but that was after receiving in store coupons of $100.00.
This right here.
Posted By: WStrayer Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/01/22
I have a Nikon that must be 12 years old. Maybe more. Still works great. I finally had to change the battery. I use it for archery and flintlock season. Occasionally in rifle season
Posted By: centershot Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/01/22
Originally Posted by IDMilton
What vortex do you have? My brothers ranger 1000 has worked well for us. And the razor 4000 has good reviews. Those would fix the warranty problem.

I now use rangefinding binoculars, but I had Maven RF1 briefly and it was great it also has a good warranty.

+1, guys buy the cheapest Vortex they can buy then complain that it doesn't match up to a RF costing 3X as much. I was looking at Vortex RF's the other day and the difference between the basic one (Impact?) and the Viper was huge. But they also cost 2.5X more than the basic one. I've been using a Leica 1400? for several years now and never had an issue. It will range 5-600 yards easily and every time on animals or targets - occasionally when conditions are perfect out to 1700 yards on trees or one black bear specifically.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/01/22
Originally Posted by centershot

+1, guys buy the cheapest Vortex they can buy then complain that it doesn't match up to a RF costing 3X as much. I was looking at Vortex RF's the other day and the difference between the basic one (Impact?) and the Viper was huge. But they also cost 2.5X more than the basic one. I've been using a Leica 1400? for several years now and never had an issue. It will range 5-600 yards easily and every time on animals or targets - occasionally when conditions are perfect out to 1700 yards on trees or one black bear specifically.

"guys buy the cheapest Vortex they can buy then complain that it doesn't match up to a RF costing 3X as much" - that's not what he said, he said he wasn't happy with the ones he has, he wasn't saying they should match up to ones costing 3x
Originally Posted by 257Bob

"guys buy the cheapest Vortex they can buy then complain that it doesn't match up to a RF costing 3X as much" - that's not what he said, he said he wasn't happy with the ones he has, he wasn't saying they should match up to ones costing 3x

Rangefinders have really came a long way over the last 10 years. I can understand the op asking which one to look for. Its obvious he does not like his Vortex. It is not ranging or working to his satisfaction. He hasn't said which model it is in particular or what his price range is. One thing I'd suggest is going to a store that will let you try out different models, so you can compare for yourself. The small shop I buy my Leica's at let me take them outside so I can range real world stuff, like trees, bushes, hill sides, etc. etc. This also gives you a good idea on how natural things look, that you will not see inside a well lit store. If a guy can't do that, buy the Leica. ha ha.. and don't go skimpy when you do. That means if you want to range a rock or steel plate at 1,000 yards, buy one that ranges out to 2,000 minimum.
Posted By: Bater Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/01/22
Leica 2400
Posted By: longarm Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/01/22
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Correctamundo!

The one I have is Vortex Ranger 1000. As stated, it works well enough out to 400 yards or so, after that it either can't read or only intermittently gives a reading. I picked it up cheap and didn't expect anything miraculous from it. Still, now I'm wanting a better unit and asking for recommendations. Pretty straightforward.
Appreciate the suggestions thus far, will be on the lookout for a Leica 2400
Posted By: centershot Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/01/22
Originally Posted by longarm
I'm using a vortex and am not overwhelmingly impressed. It seems to do fine out to 400 or so, then after that forget about it.

This will be for hunting. I don't care for a tremendous amount of fancy features. 6x +. Good on animals to 600 yd, rocks/bushes 1K.

^ This is what he said originally. - Looked to me like the model of Vortex RF was not mentioned in the OP. All I'm saying is that there are several levels of Vortex RF's and it might be worth while to look at a few of their models. The Viper that I looked at was as good as my Leica optically and had a better display and more features.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/02/22

Of the four RF's I've owned, my Leica 2700B is the best. Of the half dozen RF's I've begged and borrowed and actually used in the field my Leica 2700B was still the best.

The only fly in the ointment is the short warranties for the generally short lifespan of RF electronics. The Vortex warranty is noteworthy......

The problem with choosing a RF based on trying them out in the parking lot of Cabela's or from the back deck is it's a different ballgame when using them on fuzzy brown critters on fuzzy brown hillsides. This is when the differences really become apparent.

I'm hoping somebody who has experience with multiple RF's will hurry up and buy the Razor HD 4000 and use it for a while and then offer up a honest review...
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Of the four RF's I've owned, my Leica 2700B is the best. Of the half dozen RF's I've begged and borrowed and actually used in the field my Leica 2700B was still the best.

The only fly in the ointment is the short warranties for the generally short lifespan of RF electronics. The Vortex warranty is noteworthy......

The problem with choosing a RF based on trying them out in the parking lot of Cabela's or from the back deck is it's a different ballgame when using them on fuzzy brown critters on fuzzy brown hillsides. This is when the differences really become apparent.

I'm hoping somebody who has experience with multiple RF's will hurry up and buy the Razor HD 4000 and use it for a while and then offer up a honest review...

For you city boys, that must suck balls.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/02/22
Sigh…..

As usual, you don’t have a clue.
Posted By: Judman Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/02/22
Sigh…..

Go east on the paperboy Casey, he is from Portland.

Anyhow, I don’t use mine much, but have played with it quite a bit, does great in the pouring rain and snow. My old Swarovski cost a pard a 180” buck in Montana a few years ago, due to snow flurries. This lieca does a lot better.👍

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Picked it up from Doug for pretty damn cheap 👊🏻
My Leica os 20 years old and still ranges farther than I 'll ever shoot at big game.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/03/22
Originally Posted by Judman
Sigh…..

The only thing worse than a clueless paper punching sonuvabitch is a arrogant clueless paper punching sonuvabitch....

My Vortex 1500 does almost as well as my 2700b in light snow and rain compared to other RF's I've tried in those conditions.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/03/22
Originally Posted by RiddlerNumberOne
My Leica os 20 years old and still ranges farther than I 'll ever shoot at big game.

I'll be very, very happy if mine lasts that long!
Sigh…..

The only thing worse than a clueless paper punching sonuvabitch is a arrogant clueless paper punching sonuvabitch....

My Vortex 1500 does almost as well as my 2700b in light snow and rain compared to other RF's I've tried in those conditions.

Holy schidt, talk about "clueless", you 2 are both fu cking stupid as fu ck. Way beyond clueless. You can keep guessing on schidt you have no idea about though. It's kind of funny.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/03/22
Leica and don't look back....
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/03/22
The "lowly" Sig 6K's 8x32's absolutely fhuqking DESTROY all things Leica. Hint..................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The "lowly" Sig 6K's 8x32's absolutely fhuqking DESTROY all things Leica. Hint..................

That's funny.... I've seen them both and used them both and no, Sig destroys NOTHING.
Posted By: okie john Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/03/22
I've got a Leica 1000 from back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. When/if I decide to replace it, there's a 90% chance I'll get another Leica.

Okie John
Posted By: Judman Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/03/22
Sigh…..

Holy schidt, talk about "clueless", you 2 are both fu cking stupid as fu ck. Way beyond clueless. You can keep guessing on schidt you have no idea about though. It's kind of funny.

Why sally, the paper queen, do you need some more lume for your gonch?? Let the men talk princess
Took the Sig 6K 8x to work this pass and (9) guys ordered same,most of whom suffer Geovids. Hint.

Geovid EHR only goes to 1200yds and they suck heavy ass in Real World atmospheres,if only for fhuqking starters. Hint........
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/03/22
Sigh…..

Anyhow, I don’t use mine much, but have played with it quite a bit, does great in the pouring rain and snow. My old Swarovski cost a pard a 180” buck in Montana a few years ago, due to snow flurries. This lieca does a lot better.👍

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Picked it up from Doug for pretty damn cheap 👊🏻

My vote.
Posted By: MrWilson Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/03/22
My old square box Leica still works fine
Took the Sig 6K 8x to work this pass and (9) guys ordered same,most of whom suffer Geovids. Hint.

Geovid EHR only goes to 1200yds and they suck heavy ass in Real World atmospheres,if only for fhuqking starters. Hint........

Wow! That's awesome, if you sell Sig 6Ks. Hint. However it really only means one thing, and that's 9 guys that you work with are as easily impressed as you are. On the other hand, I'm not easily impressed so I'll stick with my Leica's.
Boob,

Pardon wares that exist,as you Dream aloud...you “lucky” kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Geovids can’t even begin to hang. Hint........
I'm very happy with my 2.5x-25x March
Boob,

Pardon wares that exist,as you Dream aloud...you “lucky” kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Geovids can’t even begin to hang. Hint........

Pig Stick,
You just go on thinking your opinion matters and you'll be ok. Hint..... On the other hand, I'll be Fhuqking laughing!.........
Boob,

You be certain to cite your Insecurities and reiterate that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery...you “lucky” kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my simply shooting it all,as you wax eloquent on your Brokedick Whine. Hint.

Fhuqking laughing!............
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/04/22
If only so Boob can say she's "seen",what she's trying to talk about. Hint.

There ain't a Geovid going,that can hang with either a Sig 3K or 6K. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pardon wares that exist. Hint................
Posted By: raghorn Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/04/22
Originally Posted by bobinpa

Wow! That's awesome, if you sell Sig 6Ks. Hint. However it really only means one thing, and that's 9 guys that you work with are as easily impressed as you are. On the other hand, I'm not easily impressed so I'll stick with my Leica's.
I have two pair of Leicas and very happy with the glass but not with their ranging abilities
Got a 6K sig after looking at ‘Sticks and they completely blow away the Leicas in their ranging abilities
It’s not even close when it’s raining or foggy or in speed/distance !
The sig glass is a lot better than I was expecting also
Just got home this late afternoon and have 6 weeks off. We need to come up with a plan,to soak boats,or something. You been looking around yet?

The boys killed a couple nice ones today,with a little swell to them,though they were alone. Be curious to see what this weekend's Weather Warning pans out to be.

Shout when it suits you,there's a Havak Element and Sig 6K's already in my crummy.................(grin)
Rangefinders are fun but you're shooting a modern flat shooting rifle, I fail to see why one is needed for big game at the ranges most are killed.

300 yards is point blank for a 300 Magnum and 400 is a long way (you can tell) and a back line hold will kill.

Beyond 400 gets into too many variables for most real world hunting.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/04/22
Boob,

You be certain to cite your Insecurities and reiterate that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery...you “lucky” kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my simply shooting it all,as you wax eloquent on your Brokedick Whine. Hint.

Fhuqking laughing!............

Whoa there Sticky..... If you think I was imitating you as a form of flattery, then you really are Fhuqking clueless! Hint.... Allow me to dumb this down a few levels for you, I was mocking you so you could see how Fhuqking stupid you look, Fhuqking laughing.... Now that we have that out of the way, I can see that I hit a nerve so I'll leave you alone. You can go caress your Sig 6Ks in a dark room while sucking your thumb you insecure Kchunt. You should be alright by morning. If not just jump back on here and type something stupid again. Hint. Maybe it'll help you heal, fhuqking laughing..... hint.... grin...
DumbestOne,

Your gross inabilities and Brokedicktitude,ain't the bane of all. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Boob,

You were simply talking out your broke ass,about wares beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you and your ilk,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon wares that exist and my simply shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Posted By: MegaMehg Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/04/22
I had a Sig Kilo1250 that I liked but didn’t range as far as I wanted. Then I bought a Nikon Black 4000 and had great luck with that. Then I moved to the Sig kilo3000 BDX binos and love them. I’d have no problem buying Sig or Nikon again.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/04/22
Rangefinders are fun but you're shooting a modern flat shooting rifle, I fail to see why one is needed for big game at the ranges most are killed.

300 yards is point blank for a 300 Magnum and 400 is a long way (you can tell) and a back line hold will kill.

Just my 2 cents.

Lots of things are owned or carried and possibly not used. A game bag isn’t needed if you don’t kill. A rain jacket isn’t needed if it doesn’t rain.

I take toilet paper with me and sometimes I don’t even need to poo poo.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/05/22
DumbestOne,

Your gross inabilities and Brokedicktitude,ain't the bane of all. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Boob,

You were simply talking out your broke ass,about wares beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you and your ilk,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon wares that exist and my simply shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Sticky... I knew you'd jump back on here and type something stupid again, Fhuqking laughing.... Did you know that some people are just too dumb to realize they are dumb.?.?.?.?.? Hint. I knew I hit a nerve but I didn't realize how bad. I'll try and leave you alone again... I'll check back here tomorrow and see if you had anything stupid to say again..... Grin. Hint. Fhuqking laughing about your wares.... Maybe take your Sig 6Ks to bed with you.... Hint. Fhuqking laughing
Posted By: Judman Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/05/22
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Just my 2 cents.

Lots of things are owned or carried and possibly not used. A game bag isn’t needed if you don’t kill. A rain jacket isn’t needed if it doesn’t rain.

Originally Posted by Kaleb

Just my 2 cents.

Haha😂

I’m similar to him though, hardly use mine. Whatever works and makes ya feel warm and fuzzy 👊🏻
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/05/22
Most of the places I shoot deer I don’t need the rangefinder either. Woods pockets etc I can’t see far enough to shoot over 200 yards or so.

I like to have one with me though. We have fields that you can see much farther. I may or may not be hunting them but if I see something out there I need or just want to shoot I range it. Some of the places I do my doe gathering are pretty open too. I practice taking longer shots so when I see deer and the conditions are right and I have a good rest I take some longer shots. Longer for me is not that far to some though.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/05/22
I used Leica's for a long time. Great glass but the range finder wasn't up to par. Sold the Leica, bought a Sig handheld. The rangefinder works great but the optical quality is some of the worst I've ever seen. Currently use Swaro binos/Sig rangefinder.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Recommend an RF please - 11/05/22

Just my 2 cents.

I’m starting to think more in this direction. If the game is more than 300 yards, it’s time to stalk it. However less equipment is better.
© 24hourcampfire