Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IDMilton
What vortex do you have? My brothers ranger 1000 has worked well for us. And the razor 4000 has good reviews. Those would fix the warranty problem.

I now use rangefinding binoculars, but I had Maven RF1 briefly and it was great it also has a good warranty.

+1, guys buy the cheapest Vortex they can buy then complain that it doesn't match up to a RF costing 3X as much. I was looking at Vortex RF's the other day and the difference between the basic one (Impact?) and the Viper was huge. But they also cost 2.5X more than the basic one. I've been using a Leica 1400? for several years now and never had an issue. It will range 5-600 yards easily and every time on animals or targets - occasionally when conditions are perfect out to 1700 yards on trees or one black bear specifically.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot
What vortex do you have? My brothers ranger 1000 has worked well for us. And the razor 4000 has good reviews. Those would fix the warranty problem.

I now use rangefinding binoculars, but I had Maven RF1 briefly and it was great it also has a good warranty.

+1, guys buy the cheapest Vortex they can buy then complain that it doesn't match up to a RF costing 3X as much. I was looking at Vortex RF's the other day and the difference between the basic one (Impact?) and the Viper was huge. But they also cost 2.5X more than the basic one. I've been using a Leica 1400? for several years now and never had an issue. It will range 5-600 yards easily and every time on animals or targets - occasionally when conditions are perfect out to 1700 yards on trees or one black bear specifically.

"guys buy the cheapest Vortex they can buy then complain that it doesn't match up to a RF costing 3X as much" - that's not what he said, he said he wasn't happy with the ones he has, he wasn't saying they should match up to ones costing 3x

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257Bob

"guys buy the cheapest Vortex they can buy then complain that it doesn't match up to a RF costing 3X as much" - that's not what he said, he said he wasn't happy with the ones he has, he wasn't saying they should match up to ones costing 3x

Rangefinders have really came a long way over the last 10 years. I can understand the op asking which one to look for. Its obvious he does not like his Vortex. It is not ranging or working to his satisfaction. He hasn't said which model it is in particular or what his price range is. One thing I'd suggest is going to a store that will let you try out different models, so you can compare for yourself. The small shop I buy my Leica's at let me take them outside so I can range real world stuff, like trees, bushes, hill sides, etc. etc. This also gives you a good idea on how natural things look, that you will not see inside a well lit store. If a guy can't do that, buy the Leica. ha ha.. and don't go skimpy when you do. That means if you want to range a rock or steel plate at 1,000 yards, buy one that ranges out to 2,000 minimum.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leica 2400

100% Public land DIY!
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Correctamundo!

The one I have is Vortex Ranger 1000. As stated, it works well enough out to 400 yards or so, after that it either can't read or only intermittently gives a reading. I picked it up cheap and didn't expect anything miraculous from it. Still, now I'm wanting a better unit and asking for recommendations. Pretty straightforward.
Appreciate the suggestions thus far, will be on the lookout for a Leica 2400

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longarm
I'm using a vortex and am not overwhelmingly impressed. It seems to do fine out to 400 or so, then after that forget about it.

This will be for hunting. I don't care for a tremendous amount of fancy features. 6x +. Good on animals to 600 yd, rocks/bushes 1K.

What would you recommend?

^ This is what he said originally. - Looked to me like the model of Vortex RF was not mentioned in the OP. All I'm saying is that there are several levels of Vortex RF's and it might be worth while to look at a few of their models. The Viper that I looked at was as good as my Leica optically and had a better display and more features.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm using a vortex and am not overwhelmingly impressed. It seems to do fine out to 400 or so, then after that forget about it.

This will be for hunting. I don't care for a tremendous amount of fancy features. 6x +. Good on animals to 600 yd, rocks/bushes 1K.

Of the four RF's I've owned, my Leica 2700B is the best. Of the half dozen RF's I've begged and borrowed and actually used in the field my Leica 2700B was still the best.

The only fly in the ointment is the short warranties for the generally short lifespan of RF electronics. The Vortex warranty is noteworthy......

The problem with choosing a RF based on trying them out in the parking lot of Cabela's or from the back deck is it's a different ballgame when using them on fuzzy brown critters on fuzzy brown hillsides. This is when the differences really become apparent.

I'm hoping somebody who has experience with multiple RF's will hurry up and buy the Razor HD 4000 and use it for a while and then offer up a honest review...

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Of the four RF's I've owned, my Leica 2700B is the best. Of the half dozen RF's I've begged and borrowed and actually used in the field my Leica 2700B was still the best.

The only fly in the ointment is the short warranties for the generally short lifespan of RF electronics. The Vortex warranty is noteworthy......

The problem with choosing a RF based on trying them out in the parking lot of Cabela's or from the back deck is it's a different ballgame when using them on fuzzy brown critters on fuzzy brown hillsides. This is when the differences really become apparent.

I'm hoping somebody who has experience with multiple RF's will hurry up and buy the Razor HD 4000 and use it for a while and then offer up a honest review...

For you city boys, that must suck balls.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Sigh…..

As usual, you don’t have a clue.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sigh…..

Go east on the paperboy Casey, he is from Portland.

Anyhow, I don’t use mine much, but have played with it quite a bit, does great in the pouring rain and snow. My old Swarovski cost a pard a 180” buck in Montana a few years ago, due to snow flurries. This lieca does a lot better.👍

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Picked it up from Doug for pretty damn cheap 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My Leica os 20 years old and still ranges farther than I 'll ever shoot at big game.

"A man has come to terms with life when he is willing to plant trees under whose shade he will never sit."
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Judman
Sigh…..

The only thing worse than a clueless paper punching sonuvabitch is a arrogant clueless paper punching sonuvabitch....

My Vortex 1500 does almost as well as my 2700b in light snow and rain compared to other RF's I've tried in those conditions.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RiddlerNumberOne
My Leica os 20 years old and still ranges farther than I 'll ever shoot at big game.

I'll be very, very happy if mine lasts that long!

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sigh…..

The only thing worse than a clueless paper punching sonuvabitch is a arrogant clueless paper punching sonuvabitch....

My Vortex 1500 does almost as well as my 2700b in light snow and rain compared to other RF's I've tried in those conditions.

Holy schidt, talk about "clueless", you 2 are both fu cking stupid as fu ck. Way beyond clueless. You can keep guessing on schidt you have no idea about though. It's kind of funny.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Leica and don't look back....

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The "lowly" Sig 6K's 8x32's absolutely fhuqking DESTROY all things Leica. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The "lowly" Sig 6K's 8x32's absolutely fhuqking DESTROY all things Leica. Hint..................

That's funny.... I've seen them both and used them both and no, Sig destroys NOTHING.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I've got a Leica 1000 from back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. When/if I decide to replace it, there's a 90% chance I'll get another Leica.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sigh…..

Holy schidt, talk about "clueless", you 2 are both fu cking stupid as fu ck. Way beyond clueless. You can keep guessing on schidt you have no idea about though. It's kind of funny.

Why sally, the paper queen, do you need some more lume for your gonch?? Let the men talk princess

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Took the Sig 6K 8x to work this pass and (9) guys ordered same,most of whom suffer Geovids. Hint.

Geovid EHR only goes to 1200yds and they suck heavy ass in Real World atmospheres,if only for fhuqking starters. Hint........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.