Home
I recently purchased the Steiner Predator 4 2.5-10 x 42 from Doug. Great scope and excellent quality. Lifetime warranty and a free turret dial to one's own specs. Leupold is good but Steiner is great. I received the scope caps from Elwood Epps out of Canada. The nicest guy any would ever meet.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

what reticle did it come with?

Big Ed
E3 Reticle
I’m debating one of these or the 3-10 SHV next. Weight between the two are pretty damn close, both are illuminated, but the SHV is a bit more compact which I like.
Originally Posted by Motown
I’m debating one of these or the 3-10 SHV next. Weight between the two are pretty damn close, both are illuminated, but the SHV is a bit more compact which I like.

The SHV is almost 2 inches shorter. This would only be relevant to bolt action rifles unless one is using a picatinney rail. The Predator 4 has a far better field of view without any doubt. And the Predator 4 has lighter weight. The range is easily doable at 500 yards (Steiner Predator 4). The only thing the SHV has going for it, if any can consider it is max windage and elevation. However, one can compensate in using an elevated picatinney rail. *The field of field is critical whereby the Steiner Predator 4 clearly outmatches the SHV. In terms of clarity, it would be extremely difficult to overcome Steiner. All coatings and assembly are right from Germany: The home of the utmost optics and where many manufacturer's come to get their optics. Also, Steiner Predator 4 is 'Made in Germany'. Lifetime Warranty and a 'Free' Custom Turret for the Steiner Predator 4.
The predator 4 is 22.4 oz.

I’m still not convinced this isn’t an AI project of an MIT grad student.
The scope sure seems to offer a lot at the price point that Doug has them at. "Made in Germany" is not a selling point for me.
Germany is the benchmark of quality and precision. "All" manufacturer's come to the home of Germany for their optics. Japan may be an exception. In this respect, even all the high brand scopes assembled in the U.S. come to Germany for their optics.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

WHAT? In terms of weight, the Steiner is a tad more. So, in my error you seek to diminish my thread.
Originally Posted by Synoptic

WHAT? In terms of weight, the Steiner is a tad more. So, in my error you seek to diminish my thread.

It isn’t the error.

Carry on.
Germany is the benchmark of quality and precision. "All" manufacturer's come to the home of Germany for their optics. Japan may be an exception. In this respect, even all the high brand scopes assembled in the U.S. come to Germany for their optics.

Uhhh, negative. Steiner has always been a wannabe, and not a real player. Can't think of one single thing they excel at whether it be scopes, binos, or bino/rf's.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Uhhh, negative. Steiner has always been a wannabe, and not a real player. Can't think of one single thing they excel at whether it be scopes, binos, or bino/rf's.

* You merely provide a ghost story whereby you have no grounds, none to prove your assertion. Steiner has stepped up lately, lest you have not heard.
Man, you'd think somebody with 26,505 posts on this forum would actually have some experience (or would you?)
Some guys rely on others to tell them "what's the next hot ticket", others find out for themselves.

Current crop being "tested"............man I've gone through a bunch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I agree with the OP, the Steiner Predator 4 series is one of the best to ever come from Steiner. The new T6xi 3-18x56 msr2 Mil is proving to be exceptional as well.

The little predator 4 2-10x42 matches well with a 223 Montana and reticle is nicely done to boot. Holdovers for coyotes out to 500 no problem to match up well with various loads using the Strelok Pro ballistic app (reticle feature).
Minor league stuff.
Minor league stuff.

All in good fun Pard'

Hey, I've got a Tract 15x56 in the classifieds. I don't ship to Texas though.........sorry
I'm running Meostar's. Big League stuff.
I'm running Meostar's. Big League stuff.

Who "told you that"?

Bet these Bushies at $450 would make you cry.

What happened to all your TRACT love (Flavor of the year?)
Love the 8x42 Toric binos, and Toric 3-15 plex rifle scope. Top shelf stuff.
Germany is the benchmark of quality and precision. .

WOW you must drive a BMW or Benz to have such a pompous outlook and think the world revolves around Deutschland
Originally Posted by boatanchor

WOW you must drive a BMW or Benz to have such a pompous outlook and think the world revolves around Deutschland

Yessir, that's quite an ignorant statement. Maybe he doesn't realize Meopta made Ziess 85mm spotting scopes for years, in the Czech Republic, said so right on the box. Ol' Carl Zeiss must have thought enough of Meopta to put their name on Meopta's stuff. Oh, and never mind Meopta cuts, grinds, and polishes it's own glass, in house, something very few optic companies anywhere do.
E3 Reticle
I like this reticle.
* Thanks very much. I've always liked the State of Oklahoma. In my personal opinion, the E3 excels many as the light is a plus. By the way, I like your digital signature which I am in total agreement. There has been some contention with a few here, namely the fella from Texas which Our Eternal Light brings judgement upon very often. Surely, he can recognize that as 'not being ignorant'. Irrespective of that, thanks for the courtesy. I have no intention to bicker when there really is no call to institute or inflame ignorant cowboys.
* Thanks very much. I've always liked the State of Oklahoma. In my personal opinion, the E3 excels many as the light is a plus. By the way, I like your digital signature which I am in total agreement. There has been some contention with a few here, namely the fella from Texas which Our Eternal Light brings judgement upon very often. Surely, he can recognize that as 'not being ignorant'. Irrespective of that, thanks for the courtesy. I have no intention to bicker when there really is no call to institute or inflame ignorant cowboys.
You seem extraordinarily defensive and sensitive.
You're not made and never will be.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Are you a psychologist?
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Minor league stuff.

All in good fun Pard'

Hey, I've got a Tract 15x56 in the classifieds. I don't ship to Texas though.........sorry

We do not purchase from Texas nor do we ship to Texas.

Are you a psychologist?
. Between your Euroenvy, your hypersensitivity and your tendency to be illogical, you have all the makings of a Biden voter.
I have the non-illuminated version of this reticle in a couple of Burris scopes and it is one of my favorite walkabout prairie dog reticles.

Are you a psychologist?
. Between your Euroenvy, your hypersensitivity and your tendency to be illogical, you have all the makings of a Biden voter.

* I am a member of the Assembly of Yahweh.
@ OSU Sig:

1. Never tell everything that you know.

* That is the truth.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have the non-illuminated version of this reticle in a couple of Burris scopes and it is one of my favorite walkabout prairie dog reticles.

It's a great reticle for holdovers. I LOVE it for that on varmint rifles. The Steiner 4-16x50 Predator 4 is even better than the 2-10x, optically. Both have amazing contrast (pop) and well thought out illumination as well. The center cross illumination is daylight bright, also very dim when necessary for low light. Of which, this scope is outstanding at low light.

At CameralandNY prices, these are an unbeatable deal for (what they are)

Initial tracking tests in one 2-10 and two 3-15x showed no perceivable error out to 20 MOA tested.

It's a great reticle for holdovers. I LOVE it for that on varmint rifles. The Steiner 3-15x50 Predator 4 is even better than the 2-10x, optically. Both have amazing contrast (pop) and well thought out illumination as well. The center cross illumination is daylight bright, also very dim when necessary for low light. Of which, this scope is outstanding at low light.

Initial tracking tests in one 2-10 and two 3-15x showed no perceivable error out to 20 MOA tested.

I've heard that the 50 is better than the 10. However the 10 is all I need. I purchased more than a few items from Doug, great guy and reasonable prices. His brother is also of the same fold, only dealing in cameras. I enjoy speaking with both. I really can't comprehend why some take a dislike to Steiner whereas the optics are the utmost quality. And, with a Lifetime Warranty and 'Free' custom turret to boot. I purchased for the clarity and for specifically the 'light'. I've heard that the illumination is equally correct at day or night. Thanks for the courtesy.

Are you a psychologist?

Sock puppet, no doubt.
You're not made and never will be.
#machinelearningfail

It's a great reticle for holdovers. I LOVE it for that on varmint rifles. The Steiner 3-15x50 Predator 4 is even better than the 2-10x, optically. Both have amazing contrast (pop) and well thought out illumination as well. The center cross illumination is daylight bright, also very dim when necessary for low light. Of which, this scope is outstanding at low light.

Based on your experience, I think I will try one. Thanks.

Could it be a 4-16? Ican't find a 3-15.

Based on your experience, I think I will try one. Thanks.

Could it be a 4-16? Ican't find a 3-15.

Yes, sorry. It is a 4-16x50 that I was referring. Looked at too many scope boxes today.

Steiner Predator 4 4-16x50 from Camerland. You will LOVE IT.
here really is no call to institute or inflame ignorant cowboys.

"Leupold is good but Steiner is great".

Opinions are like butt holes....everyone has one and most stink applies to that comment.
Have a pair of Steiner compact binoculars that are fantastic. They are maybe 18 yo or so. When I bought them they compared favorably with other models in their price tier, which was around $5-800, IIRC. In addition to still offering a great view, they've been exceedingly rugged over a ton of use and more than a few drops onto rocks and from tree stands (I pocket carry them, so there's not a lanyard or strap to help keep them from falling.)

I'd try one of their rifles scopes, but they never seem to offer a configuration and/or reticle that trips my trigger. The new 2-16 is a prime example: MOA only, SFP, BDC reticle. SFP, BDC reticle in a scope that tops out at 16X? That'd be exciting news if it were 1998. And, let's not forget the included custom turret! I wonder how many scopes that actually sells these days? I find it more cumbersome than actually using measurements, but viva la difference.

Had they offered it in Mil/Mil with a decent, measuring FFP reticle instead of a BDC that may or may not line up with your bullet in the atmosphere/s in which you send it, they might have had a winner. As it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see them on big sales or closeouts in a couple of years.

I don't buy them because of the whole CCP thing, but Athlon and Arken seem to get it as far as building a rugged scope in a common sense configuration with good reticles, and the only complaint you read or hear about them, other than COO, is that they're perpetually sold out.
I've not searched to try to find this.... What are the sub tensions of the shown reticle on max power in the 2.5-10x42?
I like the P3TR reticle on my 1-4X.
Have a pair of their cheap XC binos that my kid took to Alaska.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've not searched to try to find this.... What are the sub tensions of the shown reticle on max power in the 2.5-10x42?

Just checked their website and below is what they list for the MOA per line.

1st line = 1.49
2nd line = 4.31
3rd line = 7.18
why oh why can steiner NOT put us simple hunter types a miniscule single dot along with a german #4ish reticle?????

Big Ed
Originally Posted by whitearrow
why oh why can steiner NOT put us simple hunter types a miniscule single dot along with a german #4ish reticle?????

Big Ed

This, and not limited to Steiner.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Big Ed

Google Meopta scopes reticles
[quote=Fireball2][quote=WYcoyote][quote=whitearrow]why oh why can steiner NOT put us simple hunter types a miniscule single dot along with a german #4ish reticle?????

Agreed, the last thing I want to do while trying to age a deer, shoot a deer and not miss the deer is to do math.

Big fan of Meopta for years, I have buddy that has a reticle from them that has all sorts of lines and numbers. Just can't do it.
My Steiner GS3 2-10x42 has a #4 reticle but no illumination and no dot.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Big Ed

Google Meopta scopes reticles
meopta's 4c rets dot is too big for my taste.leica and zeiss do it right.
Big Ed
Leica needs to put a #4 or decent plex on their 44mm Amplus 6. Think they would sell a lot of them.
leica's L-4a ret and zeiss' #60 are 2 of the best for hunting imho.

Big Ed

Big Ed

Many cannot comprehend the principles of a BDC . The Steiner E3 Illuminated Reticle is matched along the same system, only being more accurate. If any are confused with this reticle, they really do not belong on the range nor should they be hunting for anything.

Not confused at all.

But I've been hunting with a scope for 50+ years and don't care for all that shidt on my windshield.

And made shots on big game much farther than 400 yards.

Your prized reticle is of no use to me.
Many cannot comprehend the principles of a BDC . The Steiner E3 Illuminated Reticle is matched along the same system, only being more accurate. If any are confused with this reticle, they really do not belong on the range nor should they be hunting for anything.

#machinelearning
V.
#maser

GFY, droid.

Big Ed

Synoptic:

I figured a lot of folks who think BDC reticles and turrets are great have difficulty comprehending actual measurements!

Not saying you shouldn't like what you like or that the reticle in reference won't, to certain extents, serve it's purpose, but how can one BDC reticle be any more or less "accurate" than another? They all consist of arbitrary aiming lines or dots through which the POA may or may not line up with the POI of bullet you're sending in the atmosphere you're sending it in. Of course there's custom BDC reticles and turrets, but the efficacy of such a set up is constrained to one bullet at one velocity in one atmosphere.
Originally Posted by Starbuck

Big Ed

Synoptic:

I figured a lot of folks who think BDC reticles and turrets are great have difficulty comprehending actual measurements!

Not saying you shouldn't like what you like or that the reticle in reference won't, to certain extents, serve it's purpose, but how can one BDC reticle be any more or less "accurate" than another? They all consist of arbitrary aiming lines or dots through which the POI may or may not line up with the bullet you're sending in the atmosphere you're sending it in. Of course there's custom BDC reticles and turrets, but the efficacy of such a set up is constrained to one bullet at one velocity in one atmosphere.

And that particular scope has to be on max power for those to work anyway. Synoptic is a sockpuppet, but is still nothing but a mouthy pretender.
The most well designed BDC reticle has been Nightforce's Velocity 600 reticle. It came in 3 variations, Low, Medium, and High Velocity. A simple reticle, 100 yard hash above intersection, 200 yard zero, 3, 4, 5, 6 holds with 5 and 10 mph windage at each. Between the 100 yard lines is a 50 yard drop only hash.

NF made a calculator that can be run with load specific data to determine the best version of the reticle to use and highlight exact differences, even listing the best range to zero at to put the reticle closer.

I much prefer FFP and dialing but NF put out a good BDC reticle.
Synoptic is a sockpuppet, but is still nothing but a mouthy pretender.
It's a something alright. I'm just not sure what. Reticles are moot though, as I doubt it shoots.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

GFY, droid.

🚀🤖 💥
The most well designed BDC reticle has been Nightforce's Velocity 600 reticle. It came in 3 variations, Low, Medium, and High Velocity. A simple reticle, 100 yard hash above intersection, 200 yard zero, 3, 4, 5, 6 holds with 5 and 10 mph windage at each. Between the 100 yard lines is a 50 yard drop only hash.

NF made a calculator that can be run with load specific data to determine the best version of the reticle to use and highlight exact differences, even listing the best range to zero at to put the reticle closer.

I still have one of those. I can dial it but rarely do. The holdovers are as accurate as I can hold from field positions. I picked up a z3 Swarovski with a similar reticle to try. I haven’t made time for it yet.
Have always been impressed with Steiners. Solid as a tank
I have one scope with a BDC reticle. It's a Swarovski z5 with a BRH:

I found this reticle to be very useful because it taught me that I'm definitely a fan of simple reticles. That's why it's the only one I own. But I can see why some shooters might find it useful depending on the type of shooting they're doing & the environment they're in. I think my "dislike" of this type of view is more an indication of my preference for simplicity (I love hunting with my Ruger #1 with a fixed 6x42 Leupold) than a criticism of this particular reticle. Vive la différence.
Originally Posted by Kaleb

I still have one of those. I can dial it but rarely do. The holdovers are as accurate as I can hold from field positions. I picked up a z3 Swarovski with a similar reticle to try. I haven’t made time for it yet.

I usually dial with the ones I have but hate not having windage references on the main horizontal line. I usually sight in with the marked 0 on the zero stop dial at 200, or whatever range to best match up with the drops. However, I set the "hard" stop at 100. Gives me the ability to be 0'd at the intersection in woods with the hard stop or move it the the dial's 0 in open areas. It's a good bdc system with the 3 choices of reticles....but the real reason I prefer this reticle to any of NF's other reticles in the 2.5-10 is it's their boldest reticle. Much easier to pick this reticle up in the woods than any of their other reticles. NF really needs to put a bold, measured hunting reticle in the 2.5-10, even if it's SFP.

* You merely provide a ghost story whereby you have no grounds, none to prove your assertion. Steiner has stepped up lately, lest you have not heard.

Do you believe in ghosts?

GFY, droid.

GFY, droid.

🚀🤖 💥

Love the 8x42 Toric binos, and Toric 3-15 plex rifle scope. Top shelf stuff.

LOL

You have it all figured out.
I have the 15x56 bino’s along with Toric & rimfire scopes. Mine have performed very well.
The 'price' has moved up, so what does that say to all the 'experts'?
I have Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24 scopes on a couple of AR-15's and they have been very good. I primarily shoot them in 3 gun matches so they get bumped around some and they've held up well. The glass is good, the illumination is reliable and daylight bright, and they are fairly light so I have no complaints.

Overall, I like Steiner based on my experiences with these scopes, but I have not used any higher powered Steiner hunting scopes so can't comment on them.

GFY, droid.

Looks like Steiner has resorted to A.I. sock puppets to sell their products
I've got a GS3 4-20 x 50 with a very similar retical I like well enough.

it rides aboard an M1A. for some reason I'm remembering this particular model was actually made in the USA does this sound correct I'm looking right now to see if I can find markings without dismounting it..
Originally Posted by irfubar

GFY, droid.

https://jmp.sh/s/tSvTeXqN96aBoQMrgA3K

Inflation is real?

GFY, droid.

www.gofuckyourself.com
🤣
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Inflation is real?

* Well, that is a logical explanation, yet not true. Look at Leupold and all other scope brands. Their prices have remained the same or even possibly been slightly discounted. The fact is the Steiner 4 2.5-10x42 is proven to be an outstanding scope with clear optics and 'accurate'.

GFY, droid.

www.gofuckyourself.com

* You're a dreamer with a filthy mind, actually "PERVERTED"!

Big Ed

They do -- but unfortunately they limit it to the European market and will NOT do a reticle change for you. That Euro line is called the Ranger and much the same as the Predator other than the reticle, which is very similar to the Zeiss #60. Unlike Steiner's HXi series, the illumination is done very well in the Ranger. It is adjustable to an extremely dim level and is good enough to use in twilight.

Funny thing is: the Predator is made in Germany and only sold in the US. The Ranger is made in the US and sold only in Europe.

I have had both -- a 2.5-10x50 Ranger 4 and a 4-16x50 Predator 4 -- and can tell you that the glass is superb in both. Reliability was not an issue, either, as they tracked as they should and held zero. But I prefer the sheer simplicity of the Ranger's reticle for my usage.

After I bought the 2.5-10x50 Ranger 4, I liked it enough that I wanted to add the Ranger 6 3-18x56 and give it a whirl. But by then, Optics Trade EU in Slovenia already had the door slammed on them by Steiner and were no longer able to send those scopes to the US. My 2.5-10x50 had slipped through by mistake.

There is one way around that, though: a used scope. That's because Steiner can't dictate what a vendor does with a used product. Have been watching for a Ranger 6 for a while but haven't had any luck on that end.

Steiner is not the only manufacturer guilty of this. Early on, Zeiss did not release any of the 2-12x50s in the V6 series here in the US. This scope -- coupled with the wonderful #60 reticle and brand-new illumination system -- checks a lot of boxes for hunters and is a fantastic optic. The very first time I inquired about this, I was told they didn't offer a scope in that magnification range, which was simply not true. They were widely available in Europe and in stock just about anywhere I checked. I'm not sure if the many phone calls numerous shooters made to Zeiss had any bearing, but that scope is now available in the US, though they recently bumped the price to north of $2K.

Zeiss also took away the Victory HT series of scopes from the American market. They are still widely available in Europe but not here anymore.

Many here loved the Swarovski PH series that was supposedly "discontinued." But they were just cut off from the American market and -- even after all these years -- are still are offered across the pond. They lived on as the Z4 and then Z4i (illuminated). Those original PH scopes remain -- in my opinion -- as one of the best choices of hunting optics out there.

You may be on to something.
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Yessir, that's quite an ignorant statement. Maybe he doesn't realize Meopta made Ziess 85mm spotting scopes for years, in the Czech Republic, said so right on the box. Ol' Carl Zeiss must have thought enough of Meopta to put their name on Meopta's stuff. Oh, and never mind Meopta cuts, grinds, and polishes it's own glass, in house, something very few optic companies anywhere do.

* You forgot "Swarovski".

Inflation is real?

* Well, that is a logical explanation, yet not true. Look at Leupold and all other scope brands. Their prices have remained the same or even possibly been slightly discounted. The fact is the Steiner 4 2.5-10x42 is proven to be an outstanding scope with clear optics and 'accurate'.

Steiner. Affected by inflation. So you know it's good!

This guy from Australia or something ?
© 24hourcampfire