Home
Posted By: Athlon_Optics Athlon Product Reviews - 06/16/23
Hey Everyone!

We are working on a little project over here at Athlon Optics and I was hoping to get some help from all of you.

We are assembling a collection of links to reviews that have been published on Athlon products (Video, Written, etc.).

If you come across a review, please post a link here. It would be greatly appreciated!

Here's one I just found on the HERAS SPR 6-24X56 (to get us started) - https://industryoutsider.com/athlon-heras-spr-6-24x56-aplr9-ffp-ir-moa-review/

Thank you
Posted By: KenMi Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/16/23
MidwayUSA is usually a great site to find reviews. However there are no reviews posted there for any Athlon products.
Posted By: Bater Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/16/23
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/athlon-helos-btr-gen2-2-12x42mm-field-eval.289757/

Here is an actual review where things on a scope that actually matter were tested.
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/16/23
Reviews that attest to only the optical features and glass qualities consist of 99% of reviews and are only minimally useful. Give us something that matters. I’m not saying the Link above and the drop tests there are the be all, end all, but show me some reviews that actually test the mechanical integrity of the scope and it’s ability to hold zero!

Athlon guy, serious question for you…. What kind of impact and reliability testing gets done to your scopes at the factory? As part of R and D? I’m not talking about recoil testing, that should be a given since it’s going on a gun for goodness sakes, what other kinds of reliability testing is performed? Tough scopes give me the warm fuzzies.
Originally Posted by Athlon_Optics
Hey Everyone!

We are working on a little project over here at Athlon Optics and I was hoping to get some help from all of you.

We are assembling a collection of links to reviews that have been published on Athlon products (Video, Written, etc.).

If you come across a review, please post a link here. It would be greatly appreciated!

Here's one I just found on the HERAS SPR 6-24X56 (to get us started) - https://industryoutsider.com/athlon-heras-spr-6-24x56-aplr9-ffp-ir-moa-review/

Thank you

With respect sir, there is VERY little in that “review” that is useful to any serious hunter or shooter. Most of what the reviewer did was simply regurgitate factory features. The only attestation of function was about the tracking, which was brief and extremely limited because it’s discussing air gun ranges, which is a limited market that lacks relevance to most hunters and shooters. There’s not much of material value in that review. Most of it could just be read off the product website or owners manual.

Put 2000-3000 rounds through a scope, beat on it, drop it, freeze it then heat it, sandblast it, come on. Give it a real testing. Give us confidence and we’ll buy. The days of “this scope has great glass for the money” aren’t enough to sell scopes anymore.

And I commend you greatly for having the stones to come here and ask these questions. Most manufacturers don’t and simply continue to market to the uninformed.
Posted By: erich Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/16/23
Not a review from elsewhere but I'll review one right now.

Athlon Argos 2-12.

Clear, lightweight, and the adjustments spot on. The large FOV on the bottom end and the ability to go to 12x on the top end are two of the things that drew me to this scope.

I'm basically a coyote hunter/predator caller. Most of my shots are under 100 yards in heavier cover so the large FOV is a plus for quick target acquisition and tracking a moving coyote through the brush. There are occasions where one will hang up out there a ways and the ability to turn the power up to 12x is a real plus. With the BDC type reticle I can hold on fur to 300 yards with the 20 Practical and 40gr NBT's and the dots will take me to 500 yards if ever needed. My only complaint would be is I would love to see a dot at the unction of the crosshairs the same size as the yardage dot and the yardage dots slightly smaller. It would draw your eye in quicker for the close in work and give a little more precision for longer ranges.

20 Practical
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Another on a 6x45mm
Posted By: SeanD Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/16/23
Originally Posted by Bater
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/athlon-helos-btr-gen2-2-12x42mm-field-eval.289757/

Here is an actual review where things on a scope that actually matter were tested.

Ouch!
Posted By: Motown Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/16/23

😂😂😂
Originally Posted by Motown

😂😂😂
I think that post scared him off forever. Of course, if he were hopefully even only halfway paying attention he would have already known of its existence.
Posted By: Bater Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/16/23
Agreed
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Reviews that attest to only the optical features and glass qualities consist of 99% of reviews and are only minimally useful. Give us something that matters. I’m not saying the Link above and the drop tests there are the be all, end all, but show me some reviews that actually test the mechanical integrity of the scope and it’s ability to hold zero!

Athlon guy, serious question for you…. What kind of impact and reliability testing gets done to your scopes at the factory? As part of R and D? I’m not talking about recoil testing, that should be a given since it’s going on a gun for goodness sakes, what other kinds of reliability testing is performed? Tough scopes give me the warm fuzzies.

We are definitely on the same page when it comes to the importance of conducting impact testing, resilience, and return-to-zero capabilities.

Pretty much everyone in our office hunts (and/or) shoots competitively (and/or) has served in law enforcement or the military (myself included).

We all use the products we make because they work and because they stand up to the tasks we put them through.

We have a lifetime warranty on all of our products because stuff happens. We do not, however, use that warranty as a backstop for poor Quality Control.

Numerous tests are conducted on our optics before they ever leave the manufacturer.

We also have a QC lab at our headquarters in Olathe, KS that includes a recoil machine and multiple collimators.

We also conduct the Nightforce test (
) on various products multiple times every week. The only qualifier I would add is that instead of slamming our scopes on a metal surface, we slam them on a wood surface.

As a 3GUN competitor, I am pretty hard on my equipment (lots of throwing guns into barrels) and I have never had a single issue with any of my Athlon Optics or mounts.

I hope that helps.

We are definitely on the same page when it comes to the importance of conducting impact testing, resilience, and return-to-zero capabilities.

Pretty much everyone in our office hunts (and/or) shoots competitively (and/or) has served in law enforcement or the military (myself included).

We all use the products we make because they work and because they stand up to the tasks we put them through.

We have a lifetime warranty on all of our products because stuff happens. We do not, however, use that warranty as a backstop for poor Quality Control.

Numerous tests are conducted on our optics before they ever leave the manufacturer.

We also have a QC lab at our headquarters in Olathe, KS that includes a recoil machine and multiple collimators.

) on various products multiple times every week. The only qualifier I would add is that instead of slamming our scopes on a metal surface, we slam them on a wood surface.

As a 3GUN competitor, I am pretty hard on my equipment (lots of throwing guns into barrels) and I have never had a single issue with any of my Athlon Optics or mounts.

I hope that helps.

Welcome to the fire.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/22/23
Isn't this the scope company that Big Stick has been raving about in the other Anthlon forum ?? I get the feeling that guy could break an anvil. Stick is a difficult individual to like but the guy is a walking "let's see if we can break it" laboratory. It would be nice to see them made somewhere other than China but one step at a time. If China can make a scope this good, what else can they make that beats anything coming out of the USA ? Going to war with those guys is not going to go well for America should that day happen.

kwg
Here is a link to a review that was posted a few days ago. It includes some drop test, impact, and return-to-zero results.

https://americangunfacts.com/athlon-heras-spr-4-20x50-sfp-scope-review/
Posted By: hanco Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/23/23
Stick will let us know soon I imagine
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/23/23
Originally Posted by hanco
Stick will let us know soon I imagine
You can bet he is not going to let us down. I'm all atwitter in anticipation.

kwg
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/24/23

I hope that helps.
I’m glad to hear this. Good response!
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/24/23
I haven't read all the comments and I'm not going to but I'll offer up my 2 cents worth.

I knew nothing about Athlon until a few weeks ago. I needed a scope with a 1" tube and MOA elevation turret with at least 20x. A quick trip to the gunshop and a few minutes later I was in possession of an Athlon Heras SPR and had it on top of my cz452 American. Again. Idk where in the lineup this optic fits. What I do know is that it's surprisingly clear, turrets are audible and positive, parallax Adj is spot on, the reticle is just superb for what I do with a rim fire.
But the best part? The tracking. I've been using it for 2 weeks now. That's a very short amount of time I know and only time will tell how it holds up...... But for right now it's been spot on. It returns to zero every time so far, and making hits on small targets at range is cake.

Would absolutely purchase again.
Posted By: qwk Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 06/24/23
Imagine a scope that loses it’s zero from simply riding in a back of a truck. Laffin

I’ll stick to scopes that work.
Originally Posted by Ky221
I haven't read all the comments and I'm not going to but I'll offer up my 2 cents worth.

I knew nothing about Athlon until a few weeks ago. I needed a scope with a 1" tube and MOA elevation turret with at least 20x. A quick trip to the gunshop and a few minutes later I was in possession of an Athlon Heras SPR and had it on top of my cz452 American. Again. Idk where in the lineup this optic fits. What I do know is that it's surprisingly clear, turrets are audible and positive, parallax Adj is spot on, the reticle is just superb for what I do with a rim fire.
But the best part? The tracking. I've been using it for 2 weeks now. That's a very short amount of time I know and only time will tell how it holds up...... But for right now it's been spot on. It returns to zero every time so far, and making hits on small targets at range is cake.

Would absolutely purchase again.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I hope you continue to enjoy your newest addition smile
Posted By: RicG Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 07/25/23
I don’t care how “good” something made in China might be. I try hard NOT to buy China stuff period.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 07/25/23
you CLUELESS Crying Karens are a fhuqking hoot! Hint.

You best start walking everywhere,barefoot and be sure to refuse any medical treatments,as you Hiss your fit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Originally Posted by RicG
I don’t care how “good” something made in China might be. I try hard NOT to buy China stuff period.

I used to think that way too , but the Chinks have won this round

our own manufacturing corporations have sold us Americans down the river

you cant even go to John fuggin Deere and not buy chink made parts
Posted By: qwk Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 07/25/23
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I used to think that way too , but the Chinks have won this round

our own manufacturing corporations have sold us Americans down the river

you cant even go to John fuggin Deere and not buy chink made parts
You can still buy non chink scopes, but the Karens still go full Chink.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 07/25/23
The only things you "shoot" are your Imagination,Pretend and mouth...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon wares that exist and actual trigger time. Hint.

You Whining Brokedick Do Nothing Fhuqks are a HOOT! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.......................
Posted By: MapleHill Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 07/26/23
You really want them "tested" send a bunch out to real hunters and shooters to test. The word of mouth reviews would boost them better than any controlled lab tests. There are guys hunting all over the world that could put them thru the paces and have a more respected opinion of them than employees at the factory
Originally Posted by MapleHill
You really want them "tested" send a bunch out to real hunters and shooters to test. The word of mouth reviews would boost them better than any controlled lab tests. There are guys hunting all over the world that could put them thru the paces and have a more respected opinion of them than employees at the factory

I couldn't agree more - we actually do that ALL the time. We currently have 60 individual products out for review (primarily to magazines, YouTubers, and online journalists) and 26 products out for Testing & Evaluation (primarily to active military, Law Enforcement, and hunters). Our design team uses the information and reports we get back to make improvements and create new designs. I'm also passing the ideas on this forum up the chain of command so keep them coming. Thanks!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/07/23

You are not alone.

I couldn't agree more - we actually do that ALL the time. We currently have 60 individual products out for review (primarily to magazines, YouTubers, and online journalists) and 26 products out for Testing & Evaluation (primarily to active military, Law Enforcement, and hunters). Our design team uses the information and reports we get back to make improvements and create new designs. I'm also passing the ideas on this forum up the chain of command so keep them coming. Thanks!
Has Big Stick (Larry) received free or reduced price products for testing?
Posted By: Bearded Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/07/23

If I worked for Athlon, and I was as confident as you say you are in Athlon’s durability, I would be getting ahold of Formidilosus on rokslide to provide him with more samples of this optic for testing after seeing the results of this evaluation. There’s a thread over there discussing optics that people would like to see tested, in which while discussing this particular optic; Formidilosus said he prefers to see, “3-5 of each scope used to see trends”.

A lot of people really take stock in his opinion when considering an optics purchase. I do.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/07/23
Originally Posted by 65BR

You are not alone.

I dislike China as much as anyone. Try as hard as you want, but look through your house, every product.....kitchenware, appliances, television, computer, phone, clothes in your closet and on your body, tools in the shop. See where they're made. Not buying a scope because it's made in China might make you feel self righteous but won't change a thing. I know its not the same, but remember when "made in japan" = Jap junk, and people hated it. And now.......

Don't blame nasty greedy corporations for moving to other countries. Blame our government for all the bullsh#t regulations making it so difficult to manufacture here.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/07/23
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Has Big Stick (Larry) received free or reduced price products for testing?

Jeezus Fhuqking Gawwd you Brokedick Crying CLUELESS Kchunts are a HOOT! Hint.

It is funnier than fhuqk,that your "means","abilities" and "comprehension" paint you into a corner,in which you can't even begin to fhuqking fathom the magnitude. Keep the Hurt Feeler Reports coming ladies,as you set on the sidelines with mouths open,Drooling aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/07/23
Originally Posted by Bearded

If I worked for Athlon, and I was as confident as you say you are in Athlon’s durability, I would be getting ahold of Formidilosus on rokslide to provide him with more samples of this optic for testing after seeing the results of this evaluation. There’s a thread over there discussing optics that people would like to see tested, in which while discussing this particular optic; Formidilosus said he prefers to see, “3-5 of each scope used to see trends”.

A lot of people really take stock in his opinion when considering an optics purchase. I do.

That's an unrealistic and ridiculous test to base a scope purchase decision on IMO. Most of Form's followers can't even wipe their asss without getting his permission. You must be one of those types.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/07/23
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That's an unrealistic and ridiculous test to base a scope purchase decision on IMO. Most of Form's followers can't even wipe their asss without getting his permission. You must be one of those types.

It's a nice thing to see the scopes that pass and that don't pass. I appreciate having access to the results. It may be unrealistic and ridiculous, but some pass consistently and others fail consistently.
If it helps you then use it. I've been at it 51 years now so I have a pretty good idea what works for me and what doesn't. I've never tortured my gear like he does, and I've dragged rifles and optics to MX several times, Africa numerous times, and several States here. Admittedly I'm not a mountain hunter, but my gear spends lots of miles getting the crap beat out of it in a UTV scabbard, truck bed, Polaris Ranger bed/seat, etc, as well as tons of range time. I don't need someone else to dictate what works for what I'm doing. IME, the Swaro 1" tube scopes suck, but I'm not about to proclaim to those who've used them for years without fail that they all suck. YMMV.

No, I don’t have the time or the inclination to be someone’s follower; although I could, with a simple google search, point out many posts where you asked for his advice (or one just this last Friday where you called him a “wealth of information” proceeded by the same lame insult you just used against me - very creative, aren’t ya?

I simply stated that if I were selling scopes that I claimed to be durable; and said scopes failed a durability test conducted by someone that many in the community consider to be an authority (or a “wealth of knowledge”) that I would want to clear things up with further testing. It’s good for business.

I didn’t say, “I won’t buy an Athlon 2-12 until it passes Form’s tests” so don’t get [bleep] butthurt, we all know you killed 87 dinosaurs and 433 braincells with yours last year. But yes, I tend to buy scopes that Form recommends because if they work for his, “ridiculous test” then they’ll do anything I need without fuss, and I don’t like fuss. Carry on.
I haven't asked for, or taken this Form guy's advice in like, years. Couldn't tell you even if I ever did, but it certainly wasn't this past Friday. Form used to post alot here on this board, but left. Why is that (genuinely curious).
I haven't asked for, or taken this Form guy's advice in like, years. Couldn't tell you even if I ever did, but it certainly wasn't this past Friday. Form used to post alot here on this board, but left. Why is that (genuinely curious).

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/compilation-of-formidilosus-posts.260643/page-2

Must’ve been a different JGRaider who uses the exact same lameazz insult. You don’t wanna give merit to someone’s findings, or use their results as a basis for your decision? Fine, don’t. Literally no one is forcing you. But where I come from it’s considered two-faced pandering chickenschit to with one breath call someone a wealth of knowledge and in the next discredit his work. On separate forums. And then deny it.
Posted By: qwk Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/07/23

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/compilation-of-formidilosus-posts.260643/page-2

Must’ve been a different JGRaider who uses the exact same lameazz insult. You don’t wanna give merit to someone’s findings, or use their results as a basis for your decision? Fine, don’t. Literally no one is forcing you. But where I come from it’s considered two-faced pandering chickenschit to with one breath call someone a wealth of knowledge and in the next discredit his work. On separate forums. And then deny it.
JG is an idiot who shoots fenced in animals. When critters can’t get away from you, any scope will work.
I just defer to people who shoot a lot more than I do.

When I buy a scope, I check what Form has to say, and what Stick has to say. He may be an azzhole, but I’ve gotta “pardon wares that exist, Bless my poor poor (literally) heart. Plucking laughing”. They’ve both forgotten more about scopes than I’ll ever know and I just want to buy a scope that puts my bullet where I mean for it to go, and I don’t wanna spend a week comparing them. They both like FFP Mil scopes like I do, in about the same magnification range as I do so it’s just the easy button.

I know Stick’s had high praise on the Helos 2-12 and I bought one based on that. Unfortunately when the one I bought came in, it sounded like there was something broken loose inside. No idea what it was, it went back for a refund. I’m not a scope doctor. That coupled with Form’s test, however credible you consider it, has steered me away from that scope despite it checking a lot of boxes for me on paper.

I’d love for Athlon to work out another test (of several samples) with Form and to see this scope come through looking good. But for now, all of my rifles are sitting under SWFAs save one, which is wearing a nightforce and for which I just bought an SWFA to replace only because I’m just not a SFP kind of guy and NF FFP reticles suck balls for killing stuff.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/07/23
I've not shot a 2-12x BTR Gen2 Mil/Mil in R&D extrapolations,since about a half hour ago. Hint.

It weren't nowhere anywhere near fhuqking CLOSE to "fair". Pass the Six Twat-Six 112's,over the Quarter Twat-Six Aye Eye's 110 ELD's,in today's less than "favorable" atmosphere. Rest assured,not all wares are "equal" or even fhuqking close,unless you're inside CheeseGrader's fence(s). HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Originally Posted by qwk

JG is an idiot who shoots fenced in animals. When critters can’t get away from you, any scope will work.

Single digit IQ human being came up with this garbage. Bearded, you said I asked him for advice within a week ago, and your own example proves me right. He is a wealth of knowledge on some things, I just think his drop testing is a ridiculous basis for buying a rifle scope.
I just defer to people who shoot a lot more than I do.

When I buy a scope, I check what Form has to say, and what Stick has to say. He may be an azzhole, but I’ve gotta “pardon wares that exist, Bless my poor poor (literally) heart. Plucking laughing”. They’ve both forgotten more about scopes than I’ll ever know and I just want to buy a scope that puts my bullet where I mean for it to go, and I don’t wanna spend a week comparing them. They both like FFP Mil scopes like I do, in about the same magnification range as I do so it’s just the easy button.

I'd certainly ask for Form's help way before I'd rely on what a libtard, narcotic infested gnome has to say about anything. YMMV.
Posted By: qwk Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/08/23
Single digit IQ human being came up with this garbage. Bearded, you said I asked him for advice within a week ago, and your own example proves me right. He is a wealth of knowledge on some things, I just think his drop testing is a ridiculous basis for buying a rifle scope.
If you are going to be a lying bytch, at least use a different handle on forums you post on. Using the same handle, then lying here about it, shows you are a complete dumbfughk.
Posted By: EdM Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/08/23
Another comical thread.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/08/23

A lot of people have their faces buried in his crotch too.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/08/23
I have a hard time taking Rokslide seriously. The place that had the thread dozens of pages long on making the .223 a great 400 yard elk, moose and bear cartridge. It seems that tender shoulders and $350 hunting pants are the hallmark of most of the folks there.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Athlon Product Reviews - 08/08/23
Originally Posted by EdM
Another comical thread.

The entertainment value of this site is certainly worth the price of admission.
© 24hourcampfire