Home
Posted By: Sabretooth Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
Are Athlon spotting scopes any good? does anyone have any experiences with them? Good or bad? Let's hear it...
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
Never heard of 'em. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'.................
Posted By: KenMi Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
Leupold are better. Hint.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by KenMi
Leupold are better. Hint.

Yes……
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
Never heard of 'em. Hint.

Just sayin'..............
Posted By: GF1 Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
I have the same Athlon spotter as in Stick’s photos, bought it on a nice deal from Doug as a range spotter.

For the money, it’s a home run, but don’t confuse it with a top end scope for resolution. But seeing bullet holes it’s fine at 100 yards or a bit more, depending on caliber.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
I have one that I bought from Doug a couple of years ago. Been to the range many times and a few hunts. No complaints and no problem seeing 223 holes @ 200 yards.
I’ve been using the Athlon OpticsAres G2 15-45x65 UHD for the last few years . It rides in the truck and is used at the range, for coyote hunting and deer hunting in western Nebraska and speed goats in Wyoming. It has not been babied and has held up well. It is heavy for its power range compared to Leupolds of similar size. Glass is good, not great. You could definitely do worse at the same price point.
Posted By: Deans Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
I have this one and it works well out to 300 yds, farthest I've used it, at the range. It is clear and have no problem seeing 6.5 bullet holes (smallest bullet I've shot at 300 yd). Since it is big and at 4.5 lbs I would not want to pack it on a hunt.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0139-70ba-00163ecd2826?variation=2905090

I also have Cronus UHD 12-36x50 that is clear and light only use it at 100 yds and has been discontinued. This would be a spotting scope I would pack on a hunt.
Posted By: iddave Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
I’ve been using the Athlon OpticsAres G2 15-45x65 UHD for the last few years . It rides in the truck and is used at the range, for coyote hunting and deer hunting in western Nebraska and speed goats in Wyoming. It has not been babied and has held up well. It is heavy for its power range compared to Leupolds of similar size. Glass is good, not great. You could definitely do worse at the same price point.

Spot on.
Posted By: erich Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
I bought one as a backup and it works well for range work. I liked it enough to buy one for my grandson.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
Got an Ares HD G2 15-45x65 last year after hunting g season so no field experience with it yet but looks good in the backyard so far. Bought after doing some research, reviews and YouTube videos. Everyone seems to agree that it's fantastic for its price range.
Posted By: specneeds Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/28/24
I got the 20-60x86 Cronus this year from Doug on sale last year and I’m very pleased. Big & heavy are the only drawbacks, it compares favorably with the Vortex Razor according to razor owners.

It hasn’t gone hunting yet but at 225 yards on my home range bullet holes are no challenge. I’m seeing things in great detail that I could barely make out with my old Nikon field scope 15-45x60. Letters on a gate 1.5 miles away for example.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/29/24
This is the second photo of a broken GR spotter you’ve posted.

I been around lots of the “folded” GR spotters since they were introduced. I’ve seen ones that have been carried in a pack so much the armor was paper thin and half the anodizing was wore off the metal.

I have never seen that style of Leupold spotter broken in that manner. Somewhere between the factory door and the photos those spotters have very likely taken a hit.

Are you sure you’re not accidentally backing over them with the crummy?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/29/24
Same GR Reupold FFP TMR and it's "only" been to the VERY busy Reupold Repair Shop (3) times. Guts came out the ocular,reticle canted and then lens delamination. It's always lived in a heavy duty 5mm Super Fhuqking Custom neoprene case. Hint.

It'll ride the pine for the rest of it's life,despite being ANIB now. Hint.

My Leeker gave zero fhuqks,in like scenarios. Hint.

Just sayin'....................
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/29/24
Stick my man, it’s official—you can break an anvil…..
My son bought an ares. I think it’s an awesome spotter. Resale long term will probably suck. But its price point may make that not a deal killer. I kinda want one for a beater spotter.
Posted By: aalf Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/29/24
If the mirage is rolling you'll be fuched regardless of what you're looking through.......
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/29/24
I have an Athlon Chronus I have used for three seasons now and could not be happier. This model is Japanese made and the value greatly exceeds the price point. Not Alpha glass by any means, but for what I use it for it does the job.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 03/30/24
I've been thinking of adding the Athlon Optics Ares G2 15-45x65 UHD straight version to the herd, for a semi-beater for range work. I have 2 Swaro's 65/85 for hunting, but they are both angled and a bit of a pain on a bench. Hoping the view on the Ares is clear and bright in the mid-power range, spoiled by the Swaro's won't help.

Edit: I hear the eye relief is very tight if you wear eye/sun glasses, any advice on that issue ?.....18-20mm would be nice.
Posted By: koshkin Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 04/01/24
I need to check to be certain, but I have at least three Athlon spotters at the moment: Cronus G2 20-60x86, Ares G2 65mm that is used exclusively with the 23x reticle eyepiece and Cronus Tactical G2 7-42x60. I think I also have a prototype of the original Cronus Tactical somewhere.

The original Cronus Tactical and Ares G2 have been here for a few years and were used a lot, but not really beat upon. Ares G2 does live in my offroader so it has experienced a lot of bumps to no ill effect, but then again, these designs are usually pretty robust unless you do something drastic to them. Optically, I think they punch above their price range. 65mm Ares G2 is a particularly nice combination of overall size and image quality, so it has been my primary spotter until a couple of months ago.

ILya
Posted By: WAM Re: Athlon spotting scopes - 04/02/24
I have a Talos 20-60x80 for range duty. I never hunt with it, but so far so good.
© 24hourcampfire