Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Are Athlon spotting scopes any good? does anyone have any experiences with them? Good or bad? Let's hear it...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard of 'em. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Leupold are better. Hint.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KenMi
Leupold are better. Hint.

Yes……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard of 'em. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have the same Athlon spotter as in Stick’s photos, bought it on a nice deal from Doug as a range spotter.

For the money, it’s a home run, but don’t confuse it with a top end scope for resolution. But seeing bullet holes it’s fine at 100 yards or a bit more, depending on caliber.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one that I bought from Doug a couple of years ago. Been to the range many times and a few hunts. No complaints and no problem seeing 223 holes @ 200 yards.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve been using the Athlon OpticsAres G2 15-45x65 UHD for the last few years . It rides in the truck and is used at the range, for coyote hunting and deer hunting in western Nebraska and speed goats in Wyoming. It has not been babied and has held up well. It is heavy for its power range compared to Leupolds of similar size. Glass is good, not great. You could definitely do worse at the same price point.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have this one and it works well out to 300 yds, farthest I've used it, at the range. It is clear and have no problem seeing 6.5 bullet holes (smallest bullet I've shot at 300 yd). Since it is big and at 4.5 lbs I would not want to pack it on a hunt.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0139-70ba-00163ecd2826?variation=2905090

I also have Cronus UHD 12-36x50 that is clear and light only use it at 100 yds and has been discontinued. This would be a spotting scope I would pack on a hunt.

Last edited by Deans; 03/28/24.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
I’ve been using the Athlon OpticsAres G2 15-45x65 UHD for the last few years . It rides in the truck and is used at the range, for coyote hunting and deer hunting in western Nebraska and speed goats in Wyoming. It has not been babied and has held up well. It is heavy for its power range compared to Leupolds of similar size. Glass is good, not great. You could definitely do worse at the same price point.

Spot on.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one as a backup and it works well for range work. I liked it enough to buy one for my grandson.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Got an Ares HD G2 15-45x65 last year after hunting g season so no field experience with it yet but looks good in the backyard so far. Bought after doing some research, reviews and YouTube videos. Everyone seems to agree that it's fantastic for its price range.

Last edited by BCSteve; 03/28/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got the 20-60x86 Cronus this year from Doug on sale last year and I’m very pleased. Big & heavy are the only drawbacks, it compares favorably with the Vortex Razor according to razor owners.

It hasn’t gone hunting yet but at 225 yards on my home range bullet holes are no challenge. I’m seeing things in great detail that I could barely make out with my old Nikon field scope 15-45x60. Letters on a gate 1.5 miles away for example.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This is the second photo of a broken GR spotter you’ve posted.

I been around lots of the “folded” GR spotters since they were introduced. I’ve seen ones that have been carried in a pack so much the armor was paper thin and half the anodizing was wore off the metal.

I have never seen that style of Leupold spotter broken in that manner. Somewhere between the factory door and the photos those spotters have very likely taken a hit.

Are you sure you’re not accidentally backing over them with the crummy?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Same GR Reupold FFP TMR and it's "only" been to the VERY busy Reupold Repair Shop (3) times. Guts came out the ocular,reticle canted and then lens delamination. It's always lived in a heavy duty 5mm Super Fhuqking Custom neoprene case. Hint.

It'll ride the pine for the rest of it's life,despite being ANIB now. Hint.

My Leeker gave zero fhuqks,in like scenarios. Hint.

Just sayin'....................

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Stick my man, it’s official—you can break an anvil…..

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son bought an ares. I think it’s an awesome spotter. Resale long term will probably suck. But its price point may make that not a deal killer. I kinda want one for a beater spotter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the mirage is rolling you'll be fuched regardless of what you're looking through.......

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have an Athlon Chronus I have used for three seasons now and could not be happier. This model is Japanese made and the value greatly exceeds the price point. Not Alpha glass by any means, but for what I use it for it does the job.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 03/29/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been thinking of adding the Athlon Optics Ares G2 15-45x65 UHD straight version to the herd, for a semi-beater for range work. I have 2 Swaro's 65/85 for hunting, but they are both angled and a bit of a pain on a bench. Hoping the view on the Ares is clear and bright in the mid-power range, spoiled by the Swaro's won't help.

Edit: I hear the eye relief is very tight if you wear eye/sun glasses, any advice on that issue ?.....18-20mm would be nice.

Last edited by Bwana_1; 03/30/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,714
Posts18,475,547
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.