Home
Minox BD 15x58 ED BR Binocular for only $549.99

We just received our shipment, finally, of the Minox BD 15x58 ED BR Binocular. We commissioned Minox to make more of these for us as they are excellent binoculars and we were able to get them made for us to sell for only $549.99 with the Minox Tripod Adapter.

We have put together some kits that we think make sense:

Minox 15x58 with Vortex Binocular Harness Strap & Nikon Lens Pen $564.99

Minox 15x58 with Vortex Shooting Stand & Nikon Lens Pen $599.99

Minox 15x58 with Gorillapod SLR Zoom & Nikon Lens Pen $599.99

Minox 15x58 with Nikon Window Mount & Nikon Lens Pen $599.99

Minox 15x58 with Vortex High Country Tripod & Nikon Lens Pen $629.99

Minox BD 15x58 ED BR Part# 62132

It is an essential feature for many nature observers to be able to detect the very finest details even in twilight. With the range of 58 mm binoculars (8x58, 10x58 and 15x58) MINOX offers a generation of powerful binoculars with enhanced light transmission and high magnification.

When using high magnifications, color displacements are frequently encountered and these can only be fully omitted with ED glass containing fluoride. For years now these special types of glass have been used in photo optics and are predominantly applied in telephoto lenses (APO lenses = apochromatic correction). MINOX is applying this type of glass in binoculars of this calibre (10x58 and 15x58). The result is quite outstanding: these binoculars can provide unadulterated rendering of the finest color definitions in the feathers of rare bird species viewed over long distances.

It goes without saying that the new 58 series is fitted with all the features which distinguish the other well established MINOX binoculars; large field of view of up to 6.5 degrees, short close focus range of < 4.9m, robust aluminium body, extendible eyecup and excellent viewing for people wearing glasses. The argon gas filling prevents misting up of the optical system on the inside, even under extreme temperature fluctuations.

This binocular is provided with a case, a wide neoprene strap & a tripod adapter.

If you have any questions please give Doug or Neil a call or send a PM or e-mail.

Thanks for the continued support.
WOW!!! What a Price!

How do you do it Doug? These bino's are great bino's for people that want big eyes, but don't want to spend a ton for them. I am a bigger fan of the 13x56's, but the 15x58's have a lot to offer and at that price, are a great buy for a great bino.

You hit a homerun on this one and all I can say is THANKS for thinking of us and making gear more affordable for us.

Thanks again and hopefully people will take advantage of this deal.

Kique
I purchased these from Doug last year and I am very impressed with them, great Bino.
I have the 13x56's; if the 15's are anything like my 13's, then Doug's price makes these pretty much a no-brainer "must buy" IMHO.
Just ordered mine- thanks!

Looking forward to giving them a thorough workout while scouting for bighorn sheep.
Doug,

Eye relief in mm?

Thanks
16mm Eye Relief
I just got a pair of these and I'm liking them....A LOT. Finally I've joined the Big Eyes crew, and I can't believe the value I got with the price Doug is offering. Once again Doug......you and Cameraland have hooked me up!!!!!!Thanks!
I ordered this kit today from Doug:

Looking forward to "seeing" what this Big Eyes talk is all about!

Thanks for the GREAT DEAL Doug!

Scott
Scott,
if you get a chance please post a review of them on here
Doug,
These apparently weigh 1490 grams, about 3 lbs 5 oz.
The BL's have a polycarbonate body to make them a bit lighter. Is there a big difference between the 13X BL's and the 15X BD's other than the weight?
Would you consider them equal in construction, strength, durability?
Thanks.
Overall I think the 15x58's are a finer binocular. Optically as well as construction wise.
Will do.

Doug,

Received my Minox Binocular Kit today. Early impressions are exceeding my expectations! More to follow....

Scott
where would these or the 13x56's fall compared to the vortex razors in the 12x50 class? saw the rebate and it seems you could throw a blanket over them now with the price break... weight not being an isue...

thanks

woofer
The Razor line is not available ina 15x size, you'd have to step up to the Kaibab which is twice the price.

There is a distictive advantage to a 15x vs a 12x as a "Big Eye". Optically I would say they are on par, fuctionally I'd say they are in different categories.
thanks for the info!!!

woofer
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Optically I would say they are on par, fuctionally I'd say they are in different categories.

Doug,

How do you mean functionally?

Are you comparing a Vortex 12X to a Vortex 15X saying they are not interchangablefor glassing long distances or are you comparing the Minox 15X with the Vortex Kaibab 15X (which I was curious about myself)?

I am wondering if my eyes could discern the 100% better performance the price difference implies.....

What do you think....

I was comparing a 12x vs a 15x as a funtional difference. Optical difference (quality wise) would be an insignificant difference.

I'm suprised no one on this post has mentioned Rick Bin's The "Big Eye's" Revolution article at : http://www.24hourcampfire.com/index.html

They rate the value of these very high. Quality not quite what the Swaro's provide, but at 1/3rd the cost. I'm sure Doug is happy to fill the Swaro orders if you prefer.

I would love to hear more about the difference between these and the 13x version I have read so much about.
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

We just received our shipment, finally, of the Minox BD 15x58 ED BR Binocular. We commissioned Minox to make more of these for us as they are excellent binoculars and we were able to get them made for us to sell for only $549.99 with the Minox Tripod Adapter.

We have put together some kits that we think make sense:

Minox 15x58 with Vortex Binocular Harness Strap & Nikon Lens Pen $564.99

Minox 15x58 with Vortex Shooting Stand & Nikon Lens Pen $599.99

Minox 15x58 with Gorillapod SLR Zoom & Nikon Lens Pen $599.99

Minox 15x58 with Nikon Window Mount & Nikon Lens Pen $599.99

Minox BD 15x58 ED BR Part# 62132

It is an essential feature for many nature observers to be able to detect the very finest details even in twilight. With the range of 58 mm binoculars (8x58, 10x58 and 15x58) MINOX offers a generation of powerful binoculars with enhanced light transmission and high magnification.

When using high magnifications, color displacements are frequently encountered and these can only be fully omitted with ED glass containing fluoride. For years now these special types of glass have been used in photo optics and are predominantly applied in telephoto lenses (APO lenses = apochromatic correction). MINOX is applying this type of glass in binoculars of this calibre (10x58 and 15x58). The result is quite outstanding: these binoculars can provide unadulterated rendering of the finest color definitions in the feathers of rare bird species viewed over long distances.

It goes without saying that the new 58 series is fitted with all the features which distinguish the other well established MINOX binoculars; large field of view of up to 6.5 degrees, short close focus range of < 4.9m, robust aluminium body, extendible eyecup and excellent viewing for people wearing glasses. The argon gas filling prevents misting up of the optical system on the inside, even under extreme temperature fluctuations.

This binocular is provided with a case, a wide neoprene strap & a tripod adapter.

If you have any questions please give Doug or Neil a call or send a PM or e-mail.

Thanks for the continued support.

Do you have all the stuff in your store at Lexington Ave.? Even the special offers?
Thanks
Venator.
Yes we do
Stupid question. Other then these obviously being higher power and larger how would you rate these against the Nikon Monarch X 10.5 x 45? The Nikon's are a little more money, but were rated high in a recent article in F&S.

I'm trying to decide what bino to purchse - new hunter, first time bino purchase. Pig and Deer in California and Missouri (when visiting relatives).

Thanks,

Jeff
I have never used the Minox or any "big eyes" for that matter, but I live in Missouri and hunt deer here and can tell you I know of no reason whatsoever to use 15x58 sized binoculars doing that. For what it's worth, just yesterday I ordered a pair of the Minox HGs in 10x52, which I think will work just fine for my hunting over large CRP fields from an elevated box blind. Can't see the need for anything more powerful than that here. Just my two cents...

Crusader you are gonna love your HG's. I got the 8.5x43's and I took one look thru them and fell in love. I never owned a small pair of bins until the little HG's I got and I am set in that category for life!

To be honest with everyone. I have owned and used about all big eyes out there. Zeiss, Swaro, Leica, Fujinon, Minox, Docter and so on. I have used them, tested them and posted on most of them. I still need to get my hands on and eye thru a pair of Kaibab 15x56's.
In any event, I have not found an optic with the quality, affordability, and the hanging with the big three like the Minox brand. I have used and owned the first big eyes 15x58 Minox with the center diopter focus, the new 15x58 ED BR and my favorite 13x56's.
At half the price, 3/4th the price or 1/3rd the price of Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski, the Minox line holds tight with them. It is tough for me to see the difference between the 4 except when I go to pay.
I am not a fan of reccommending anything I have not tried or used. Minox I have used alot! As I have the other three big names. And for me to risk my reputation by backing a product I believe in is not a risk at all but a good thing to help save you guys money.
If you guys want to buy the others, fine they each serve a purpose, but until Swaro, Zeiss or Leica come out with a 15x60 I am done with them because I now find them over priced. I still love my Swaro's don't get me wrong, but if I had to buy another pair, I probably would pass and go with Minox or Vortex.
Then again not every optic fits every set of eyes. The Minox may be too small or to big, I know narrow eyed people can't use Swaro's very well. Well now there is another option.

Now I get to Doug and Cameraland. Point is simple. I am a customer service man and as far as I am concerned, none beat the cameraland crew! They are great, they offer great deals, and they make things somewhat affordable compared to others. For that A big THANK YOU doug and cameraland.

Kique
do they make the APO in 8 x 33? still looking for a smaller binoc in midprice range.
The APO at this time does not feature an 8x33. The current 8x33 HG is still available @ $399.99, the next generation one which will be made in Germany will be over $1000.00. Those who have the current version love them and for the price it is a screamin' deal
Doug,

Where are the Minox 15x58 ED BR models made? How would you compare them to the Swarovski 15x56 SLC's?

Chet
Made in Japan. Very close, but not quite as good as the Swaro

Doug, Is this offer still available?

Thanks!
Yes it is
I spent a lot of time behind this bino this year and I'm impressed. WAY less eye fatigue than what I was used to with a spotter and I was using it out to 4-5 miles. Not hard to love this one.
How seriously should I take the listed operating temperature specification?

Operating temperature:
-10� to + 45�

I suppose from the range this is Centigrade and so the negative ten degrees Centigrade is not very cold for hunting.

The kits are certainly attractively priced and include things I'd need to buy anyway.
I wouldn't worry about temps too much. I have used these Minox, my 15xSwaro's both in temps ranging from the low teens in the morning to the high 70's on the same day. At the time, I have used these in over 100 degrees. They work and work well. The pair I have been using for the last couple years have been the Minox 13x56's and I also own the 15x58 Minox in question and the 15x56 Swaro's. Minox products do the job at a lower price. The reason there is not as much hoopla about them is because they don't advertise as much as the big three or been around as long. Operating temperature might be a concern, but I doubt it.
If you buy these 15x big eyes at $549 you are not loosing much than if you bought the 15x56 swaro for $1900.
Price, value and performance is the main reason I will never buy another big eye from the big three. Vortex, Minox, fujinon and others make big eyes that are just as good as what the big three puts out and for way less. Now if the big three made a true big eye (15x60) I might change my mind, but since they can't I am done with them.

Buy these 15x58's for that price and you are going to be way happy with them. If you are not since you bought them at a very very good price, you can sell them for what you have in them and still be ahead. But after you use them you'll keep them, trust me.

Kique
Originally Posted by Crusader
I have never used the Minox or any "big eyes" for that matter, but I live in Missouri and hunt deer here and can tell you I know of no reason whatsoever to use 15x58 sized binoculars doing that. For what it's worth, just yesterday I ordered a pair of the Minox HGs in 10x52, which I think will work just fine for my hunting over large CRP fields from an elevated box blind. Can't see the need for anything more powerful than that here. Just my two cents...

In california a lot of people including myself use spotting scopes to spot deer at a distance or bedded,during the middle of the day.the mountains here are steep and rugged and using these produts save a lot of boot leather and wear and tear on the old body lol.i know several people who consistently take nice deer during the middle of the day using spotters/big eyes.i may have to go to the big eyes,since spotters tend to give me eye strain when used for long periods of time.
I will be ordering a pair shortly. I have/use a swarovski spotter in wyoming for prairie whitetails, mulies, and antelope. I think this will be the ticket for glassing from the pickup and off a tripod. This should really help eliminate going back and forth from binocs to spotter, and will limit us to using the spotter to really judge a buck.
Plus I really want a new toy. grin

Mine is on its way! Heck of a deal. Thanks Doug.

I really had to debate going as high as 15x, but my eyes are no longer young and I recently had a hard time identifying how many points a buck had when he came into a field toward dark. About all I could determine was that he was at least a six, and that just was not good enough to shoot.

Some of our fields are a half mile end to end, so these should help. Who knows, I may see more deer also.
Hey J Scott, any field report on the 15x58?
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting these but I am a little puzzle as to why these sell for less than the BL 13x56 which does not have ED glass? This make me think that the only way they can be made for this price is if Minox had them made in china under Minox's own specs? Earlier these were selling for about $1000 so that sound more reasonably priced but now I just don't understand how they can still be made in Japan for less than the BL 13x56?

Also I have heard that the IPD may be too wide for small faces? Can you tell me the closest IPD? I really want to get these except for the questions I have just posted. Thanks for your help.

Tony
Tony,
These are the same Made in Japan ones that two years ago we sold for $1049.99. Minox stopped making them about a year and a half ago. At that time we commissioned them to make more for us and we were able to work it out to basically offer them at half off.
Quick, and probably dumb, question for anyone willing to answer it. I'm trying to figure out how a pair of these would compare in brightness and clarity to some of the binos I already have. If someone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Here's the list: Pentax 8x43 and 10x50 DCF SP /// 20x60 Pentax PCF WPII /// Orion Megaview 20x80 (Japan made).

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Well, I finally did it! I have a pair on the way to give a test run. I travel back to Wyoming every year to hunt plains deer and antelope, and can't imagine there will be any more comfortable way to search the prairie for a big buck!
I have my fingers crossed that these are all they are claimed to be. I have never bought a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope without trying them, so this is a little bit of a stretch for me. I'll let you know shortly what I think.
Originally Posted by hawkhunts
Well, I finally did it! I have a pair on the way to give a test run. I travel back to Wyoming every year to hunt plains deer and antelope, and can't imagine there will be any more comfortable way to search the prairie for a big buck!
I have my fingers crossed that these are all they are claimed to be. I have never bought a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope without trying them, so this is a little bit of a stretch for me. I'll let you know shortly what I think.

I can't think of a better way to glass really big, open country like Wyoming has than with a pair of 15x's. You will have to have a tripod and/or a window mount to be able to effectively use them. The absolute best window mount I've ever seen is one from bogen, you simply attach a bogen tripod head to it and it is rock steady and very fluid, unlike the cheaper window mounts. I know it costs extra but when you look at the cost difference divided over the years you'll use it it's a justifiable expense.

As for tripods, that's just a personal preference thing but I use the same tripod head for both the tripod and my bogen window mount. This next year I will buy another head so I don't spend time changing them out, that cost me a look at a giant whitetail this past season here on the eastern plains
hawk,

These bins are the best 15x for the price. At $549 they are hard to beat. I do feel the Minox 13's and the Vortex 15's are better in many aspects, but they are also a lot more expensive. If this is your first set of big eyes, you'll be very happy with them. I have a set and still don't mind sitting behind them when my best friend stills my main set.
Great buy and congrats.

Kique
I finally took a drive this evening and found some deer, and looked at something besides stop signs, license plates, and the neighbors house.
This is not a very in depth review, as I was short on time, and just resting my tripod on my leg and the binocs on my window. I was very happy with my initial views. I was looking at deer from 150 yards out to a good 1/2 mile, and was shocked at the amount of detail I could make out on the close deer. We're talking splits in ears and eyelashes. The long range stuff was impressive too. I was easily able to pick out deer before they made it out of the edges at a 1/2 mile. I was able to find them with my 7x40 zeiss edf's, but probably would have missed them had I not known they were there. I was looking into some fairly heavy cover and bare ground.
I looked through 4 different sets of glass today- granted none with the magnification that the minox have, but some pretty good glass. (Swaro slc's- 2 different pair, zeiss edf 40, and some brunton epoch). I thought they were as sharp as the Swaro, and as clear as my zeiss, and better than th epochs. Now, I wil freely admit that I love my zeiss edf- I wouldn't trade them for anything, they just work for me. I also feel that the epochs are really good, not quite slc's, but very good for the deals that can be found. I didn't see any runaway winners in the group.
I just think these minox 15 x 58 are going to be a perfect fit for my style of hunting. I haven't looked though a pair of vortex, of any style, but I don't think I would trade for the money. This was a great value, and I am glad I had the opportunity to grab a pair before they were all sold.
As the weather breaks, I will start shooting again. I will really be able to get a feel for them when I start looking for bullet holes down range. I'll try to offer up a little more feedback when that happens.
Used my pair of minox 15 x 58 in Colorado last fall and they worked great but buy the tripod adapter!!

I will try them again this weekend pig hunting!
Hi Doug,

Can you tell me the IPD of these as I have heard that some find it too wide.
Thanks.
Tony
Good morning Tony,
I just looked at the specs that come weith those binoculars and it does not say. I have no way to get an accurate measurement. All I can suggest is that you try them. if they fit, great....if not send them back
I got a pair of these that arrived last week. I suggest anyone who is interested in them read the "big eyes" article that Rick wrote. I think it is a very accurate representation. They are really big and heavy. But for tripod use, they are remarkable. I have been looking at the elk on the hill above town, and they must be a couple miles away, and 4000 ft elevation gain. I can tell they are all cows and calves; pretty much fun and beats any spotting scope I have used for scanning country.
© 24hourcampfire