Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Quick, and probably dumb, question for anyone willing to answer it. I'm trying to figure out how a pair of these would compare in brightness and clarity to some of the binos I already have. If someone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Here's the list: Pentax 8x43 and 10x50 DCF SP /// 20x60 Pentax PCF WPII /// Orion Megaview 20x80 (Japan made).

Thanks in advance,
Mike

GB1

H
H
Well, I finally did it! I have a pair on the way to give a test run. I travel back to Wyoming every year to hunt plains deer and antelope, and can't imagine there will be any more comfortable way to search the prairie for a big buck!
I have my fingers crossed that these are all they are claimed to be. I have never bought a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope without trying them, so this is a little bit of a stretch for me. I'll let you know shortly what I think.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hawkhunts
Well, I finally did it! I have a pair on the way to give a test run. I travel back to Wyoming every year to hunt plains deer and antelope, and can't imagine there will be any more comfortable way to search the prairie for a big buck!
I have my fingers crossed that these are all they are claimed to be. I have never bought a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope without trying them, so this is a little bit of a stretch for me. I'll let you know shortly what I think.

I can't think of a better way to glass really big, open country like Wyoming has than with a pair of 15x's. You will have to have a tripod and/or a window mount to be able to effectively use them. The absolute best window mount I've ever seen is one from bogen, you simply attach a bogen tripod head to it and it is rock steady and very fluid, unlike the cheaper window mounts. I know it costs extra but when you look at the cost difference divided over the years you'll use it it's a justifiable expense.

As for tripods, that's just a personal preference thing but I use the same tripod head for both the tripod and my bogen window mount. This next year I will buy another head so I don't spend time changing them out, that cost me a look at a giant whitetail this past season here on the eastern plains

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hawk,

These bins are the best 15x for the price. At $549 they are hard to beat. I do feel the Minox 13's and the Vortex 15's are better in many aspects, but they are also a lot more expensive. If this is your first set of big eyes, you'll be very happy with them. I have a set and still don't mind sitting behind them when my best friend stills my main set.
Great buy and congrats.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
H
H
I finally took a drive this evening and found some deer, and looked at something besides stop signs, license plates, and the neighbors house.
This is not a very in depth review, as I was short on time, and just resting my tripod on my leg and the binocs on my window. I was very happy with my initial views. I was looking at deer from 150 yards out to a good 1/2 mile, and was shocked at the amount of detail I could make out on the close deer. We're talking splits in ears and eyelashes. The long range stuff was impressive too. I was easily able to pick out deer before they made it out of the edges at a 1/2 mile. I was able to find them with my 7x40 zeiss edf's, but probably would have missed them had I not known they were there. I was looking into some fairly heavy cover and bare ground.
I looked through 4 different sets of glass today- granted none with the magnification that the minox have, but some pretty good glass. (Swaro slc's- 2 different pair, zeiss edf 40, and some brunton epoch). I thought they were as sharp as the Swaro, and as clear as my zeiss, and better than th epochs. Now, I wil freely admit that I love my zeiss edf- I wouldn't trade them for anything, they just work for me. I also feel that the epochs are really good, not quite slc's, but very good for the deals that can be found. I didn't see any runaway winners in the group.
I just think these minox 15 x 58 are going to be a perfect fit for my style of hunting. I haven't looked though a pair of vortex, of any style, but I don't think I would trade for the money. This was a great value, and I am glad I had the opportunity to grab a pair before they were all sold.
As the weather breaks, I will start shooting again. I will really be able to get a feel for them when I start looking for bullet holes down range. I'll try to offer up a little more feedback when that happens.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Used my pair of minox 15 x 58 in Colorado last fall and they worked great but buy the tripod adapter!!

I will try them again this weekend pig hunting!

Ted
T
tmh Offline
T
Hi Doug,

Can you tell me the IPD of these as I have heard that some find it too wide.
Thanks.
Tony

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good morning Tony,
I just looked at the specs that come weith those binoculars and it does not say. I have no way to get an accurate measurement. All I can suggest is that you try them. if they fit, great....if not send them back

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I got a pair of these that arrived last week. I suggest anyone who is interested in them read the "big eyes" article that Rick wrote. I think it is a very accurate representation. They are really big and heavy. But for tripod use, they are remarkable. I have been looking at the elk on the hill above town, and they must be a couple miles away, and 4000 ft elevation gain. I can tell they are all cows and calves; pretty much fun and beats any spotting scope I have used for scanning country.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,711
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.