Home
Posted By: TCB The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/14/09
Well I'm sure I'll get some flak for the open ended question but I figured there was no better place on the net to ask it!

The question:
I have a Sako Finnlight 300 WSM with Opti Locks that�s a real tack driver! I currently have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 Stainless on top of it. I like it but the clarity isn't what I'd consider "perfect". What's the best scope in your opinion regardless of price? I figured I paid a premium for this rig might as well for the gusto and get a top of the line scope too.
Many consider zeiss to be the best,I don't know that any scope is perfect.There is swarovski and shmidt and bender that cost more but I don't think they are better.
In my opinion, you can't get a better scope than a Schmidt
& Bender!!

Check out the S&B 3-12x50 Zenith - its clarity is awesome!!!!!
The Swaro Z6 is pretty impressive.....
My $.02...

Top Three, in no particular order.
--Zeiss Victory Divari;
--Schmidt & Bender Zenith;
--Swarovski Z6;

All three will do you well.
Posted By: TCB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/14/09
Great input and thank you.
Based on the three you gents have mentioned. If I were to add weight, warranty, and customer service as a reuirement. Would it narrow it down any further?
Weight: Schmidt and Bender scopes are tanks.

CS: Swaro is supposed to be stellar in this department according to many posts here.

Warranty: Is Zeiss still lifetime and transferable?
S+B 6x42 or most any 6x42
Originally Posted by iflyguns
Great input and thank you.
Based on the three you gents have mentioned. If I were to add weight, warranty, and customer service as a reuirement. Would it narrow it down any further?

Not based on the 3 mentioned, but if you based on weight, warranty and customer service combined with overall usefulness it narrows down to one and that would be Leupold.
OUCH Schmidt is much more expensive too.
Zeiss and Swaro are priced almost the same and have similar features. I love Zeiss even though all my scopes have been from the Conquest line.
I've never owned a Swaro so this may be a great opportunity to make a change.

Last thoughts?
My perfect scope is a Zeiss Diavari 3x12x56.
I believe it is lightest of the Top three.
Great resolution.
Great in low light.
Can refit turrets.
Yes, it is a fairly big scope, but to get the best, that's what it takes.
Kinda like racing. A top performing 4cylinder will never run with a top performing V8! Yes the 4 cylinder weighs less, is more compact, etc. but hey, were talking about Ultimate Performance!
I have owned Zeiss,Swarovski,Kahles,Leupold,Nightforce,Bushnell,and Weaver,and my hunting scopes now wear 1" Kahles Helia CT scopes.They are clear,bright,reliable,compact,and the weight is reasonable.With 42mm objectives,they can also be mounted low enough for a proper cheek position on the stock.
How is the customer service these days?
The new Schmidt & Bender Summit might also warrant a look. It's S&B's first 1" scope and the 2.5-10x only weighs 16-some ounces. I just put one on my Heym .300 Winchester and went to the range for the first time yesterday. Haven't finished all the official testing yet, but so far have been very impressed.
How is the customer service these days?

If I ever need it,I will let you know.To date,only one of my scopes ever required customer service,and that was a Zeiss involved in a horsewreck.
I did have a couple of Leupolds that had magnification rings that were extremely hard to turn,but I just sold them to get rid of the problem.I would rather have a scope that doesn't need service than a Leupold that is shipped out defective,but is repaired under warranty.
I would rather have a scope that doesn't need service

Really? grin

I don't care what the brand is, I don't like shelling out for a piece of gear with an iffy support system. BTW, where did I mention Leupold?
...and I have had more than one of the high-priced Euro-scopes go bad. Thinking they never do is a mistake.
.and I have had more than one of the high-priced Euro-scopes go bad. Thinking they never do is a mistake.

I was just passing on my own personal experiences.I have never had a defective Zeiss,Swarovski or Kahles scope,but I have had two defective Leupold scopes.

BTW, where did I mention Leupold?

I mentioned them,because I have owned two that were defective from the factory.They held zero and tracked reasonably,but it was extremely difficult to turn the magnification ring.And if you search the forums,you will soon see that this is quite a common occurrence.There is no excuse for shipping a scope that is so obviously defective,regardless of the warranty.
iflyguns,

Make sure you try whatever you get side by side with other "high end" stuff. Both times I compared Swaro with Leupold LPS the LPS was definately sharper. These were the 3-9X Swaro with the 2 1/2-10X LPS and the 4-12X Swaro with the 3 1/2-14X LPS.
A Conquest is a price point scope.

If you want THE best buy a fixed power Schmidt, Swaro or Zeiss. Less moving parts, and no compromise to achieve the best performance at ONE magnification.
My 4X Schmidt is slightly better than my 4-16 Schmidt set at 4X. BUT "slightly" is just that.
If you ever want to be REALLY spoiled look through a Schmidt 8x56.
Not a real practical scope for USA hunting but you can count the hairs on a gnat's butt!

Expensive, but I never saw an armored car following a hearse!
My opinion is that if the "best scope money can buy" is defined as the one(s) with the best image clarity, regardless as to the tradeoffs you must make to get it, then you and I are far apart of what makes "the best scope that money can buy for my hunting needs." E
great points all......
The LPS is a great scope but there certainly seems to be much better, so i read.
I seems with any of these scopes, you just cant go wrong so in essence, pick your poison.
My opinion is that if the "best scope money can buy" is defined as the one(s) with the best image clarity, regardless as to the tradeoffs you must make to get it, then you and I are far apart of what makes "the best scope that money can buy for my hunting needs." E

What we do know is that the Swarovski Z3 3x9 is the best lightweight 3x9 that J.B. has ever tested.Or are you going to dispute that?

Yeah, just tested a Z3 3-9x and rated it the best lightweight (12 oz.) 3-9x I have ever tried. Very fine optics and the adjustments were right on, with one exception that took a shot to bounce into place.

I am doing some optics evaluation stuff for TEXAS SPORTING JOURNAL, a very nice magazine, and the review just appeared there.

BTW, where did I mention Leupold?

I mentioned them,because I have owned two that were defective from the factory.They held zero and tracked reasonably,but it was extremely difficult to turn the magnification ring.And if you search the forums,you will soon see that this is quite a common occurrence.There is no excuse for shipping a scope that is so obviously defective,regardless of the warranty. [/quote]

Since I listened to Mule Deer and quit tightening the rings farmers tight I've had no further problems with the magnification ring. --- Mel
Since I listened to Mule Deer and quit tightening the rings farmers tight I've had no further problems with the magnification ring.

This has nothing to do with ring tightness,or with farmers of any kind,the magnification rings were tight before the scopes were mounted.I hoped that they would loosen up with use,but it didn't happen.
Some VX-II scopes I've checked out were pretty tight.
Some VX-II scopes I've checked out were pretty tight.

So why did Leupold ship them out when they were obviously defective?
I used to be able to tell where people went wrong when I graded their math papers, but that one I can't answer.
Schmidt and Bender or US Optics hands down! Better have some money though!!!!!!!!
stubblejumper,
Not saying you did, just relating my experiance. --- Mel
"Expensive, but I never saw an armored car following a hearse!"

I like that!
I have owned all the brands mentioned here.
Today my first choice is Zeiss Diavari Victory.
SuB, Kahles and Leupold scopes are sold.
Three Swarovski left, one in gun safe and two on my airrifles.
E:

Please reread the question. It does not say "the best scope that money can buy for E's hunting needs." I'm guessing you've not owned many scopes more expensive than mid-range Leupolds. If you've not tried them, how can you comment on them? I understand that your choices are adequate for your needs. Unbelieveably, many people are more demanding than you when it comes to optics and will not settle for the compromised that you make.

OD
I "settle" for the compromises I make ? Not at all. I value rugged constuction, things like a large eye box and super hard coatings alot more than I do the absolute last word in image sharpness when it comes to rifle scopes. E
Posted By: RickF Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/14/09
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
I have owned Zeiss,Swarovski,Kahles,Leupold,Nightforce,Bushnell,and Weaver,and my hunting scopes now wear 1" Kahles Helia CT scopes.They are clear,bright,reliable,compact,and the weight is reasonable.With 42mm objectives,they can also be mounted low enough for a proper cheek position on the stock.

Stubble, what made you go away from the Swarovski AV 3-10's? You used to swear by them...
Stubble, what made you go away from the Swarovski AV 3-10's? You used to swear by them...

I still think that they are a great scope,but when I needed a new scope for a new Cooper,I compared the Conquest,AV,VX3 and the Kahles CT,and the Kahles was just as clear and bright as the AV for $250 less.I decided to give the Kahles a try,and so far it is every bit the scope that the AV is for less money.It does have a slightly larger eyepiece,that may be an issue if mounted super low on a rifle with a 90 degree bolt throw,but on my Coopers it fits great.If I hadn't tried the Kahles,I would have gone with the AV.
Originally Posted by Eremicus

Anyone who doesn't list luppies as their favorite scope will be "far apart" from you.
Look at the March scopes just for grins. They're not just benchrest scopes.
Because I don't spend hours looking through a rifle scope image charity is not the most important attribute to me. It's important just not number one. For me, ruggedness and reliability are the two things I want above all else. After that would come clarity and weight. So what's the best brand? Haven't a clue, but Leupold's fixed LR 6x works for me where I hunt.
Because I don't spend hours looking through a rifle scope image charity is not the most important attribute to me. It's important just not number one. For me, ruggedness and reliability are the two things I want above all else. After that would come clarity and weight.

And there is no reason that you would have to sacrifice one thing to gain another.Despite what E might say,there are scopes by a few manufacturers that do it all well.
Stubblejumper, you are in part correct. What I sacrifice by being a fixed power advocate is the versatiliy of the VX's., but I gain some ruggedness.
Stubblejumper, you are in part correct. What I sacrifice by being a fixed power advocate is the versatiliy of the VX's., but I gain some ruggedness.

And just how much ruggedness is really needed?I have used variable scopes on boat hunts,horseback hunts,atv hunts,snowmobile hunts,and many other hunts from 90 degrees to -30 degrees for over 35 years,and I have yet to have a scope fail in the field.The scopes have been exposed to impacts,vibration,heat and cold,high altitude,snow and rain etc,and not one has failed to function. The closest that I have come is a scope that had a piece of black material deposited on an internal lens after a horse wreck.It still held zero,and still functioned normally except for the speck at the edge of the lens.
The fact that many military snipers are now being issued variable scopes should be enough to convince most people that variable scopes are reliable.
Originally Posted by super T
Because I don't spend hours looking through a rifle scope image charity is not the most important attribute to me. It's important just not number one. For me, ruggedness and reliability are the two things I want above all else. After that would come clarity and weight. So what's the best brand? Haven't a clue, but Leupold's fixed LR 6x works for me where I hunt.

I wasn't posting to you. I replied to the OP. I don't care what and why you like and/or use.
The S&B Flash Dots.
dave
Well I'm sure I'll get some flak for the open ended question but I figured there was no better place on the net to ask it!

The question:
I have a Sako Finnlight 300 WSM with Opti Locks that�s a real tack driver! I currently have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 Stainless on top of it. I like it but the clarity isn't what I'd consider "perfect". What's the best scope in your opinion regardless of price? I figured I paid a premium for this rig might as well for the gusto and get a top of the line scope too.

I have a Finnlite 270 Winchester that I had about the same question that you had. I have a S&B Zenith that I could have put on it but at 22oz it was just too heavy for me to want it on my Finnlite no matter how great optically it is. The Z6 1.7-10 is an 18oz scope, even heavier than the older Swaro PH 3-12x50. I ended up with a Swaro PH 2.5-10x42 on it. It's great optically and is one of the lightest 30mm tube scopes in that power range.

I'm sure Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x42 would do just as well (15.5oz) and you can get them with the hydrophobic Lotu-tec coating.

There a several excellent optics brands available but I do think it's best to balance the scope size and weight to the particular rifle....................................DJ
Posted By: TDMax Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/15/09

The question:

I put the Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 on my Sako 85 S/S in 260rem. With the low rings it looks like I still have room to drop to xtra lo and still get the cover on.

Be sure you pay attention to length and weight specs if that is at all a concern. Depends how light you want to be. The Swaro is quite long. Not an issue for me, but...
Posted By: DMB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/15/09
"Best" is, at best, subjective.
What's " Best" for you may not be "Best" for someone else.
My "Best" scope is a Schmidt and Bender 4x36. But, others may not agree, for themselves. Does that invalidate my "Best" scope? NO.
Posted By: TCB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/15/09
OK
I've, for the most part, decided on the Swaro Z6 2.5-15x56 P.
I hope this will be a good choice and a scope which will serve me for a lifetime. I would also like for this rifle package to be passed down to my children one day.
Tony
No doubt that Swaro makes great scopes, but after having owned many Swaro's, Kahles, S&B, 4200's and Leupy's, I still say go Zeiss Victory Diavari 3x12x56.
This advice comes from actual field use of each. Not from speculation or guessing.
Posted By: DMB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/15/09
Originally Posted by raghorn
No doubt that Swaro makes great scopes, but after having owned many Swaro's, Kahles, S&B, 4200's and Leupy's, I still say go Zeiss Victory Diavari 3x12x56.
This advice comes from actual field use of each. Not from speculation or guessing.

I've read that same comentary about the Zeiss Divari 3-12x before.

The question:

IMHO S&B is as good as it gets. My PM ll's resolution rivieled my Swarovski spotting scope
If you find something better I'd like to know about it.
How about one of those hand-built March 2.5-25's?

Yeah... A 2.5-25...
Posted By: TCB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/15/09
JWP
Which S&B are you speaking of?
id like to hear more on the new 1" Summit in 2.5-10x40
Hensoldt Zeiss is the best money can buy.
For what purpose are you asking about?...and related to that, what qualities are most important to you?
A scope for any normal NA hunting with a 56mm objective is totally silly. Why not mount a suitcase handle on your rifle and be done with it?

IMO the best variable for the least money that does not make a hunting rifle into a club, is the 2.5-8x36, number 2 would be the Leupold European 3-9 with a German #4.
Originally Posted by oldman1942
A scope for any normal NA hunting with a 56mm objective is totally silly. Why not mount a suitcase handle on your rifle and be done with it?

IMO the best variable for the least money that does not make a hunting rifle into a club, is the 2.5-8x36, number 2 would be the Leupold European 3-9 with a German #4.

A Swarovski 2.5-10x56 weighs a whopping 2.3oz more than a 2.5-10x40 1" tube bushnell, it's hardly a lightweight but it's several oz lighter than some scopes you see out hunting. I mounted one in LOW Sako Optilock mounts on a Sako M75 338 Win Mag and shot a nice Elk with it. I wouldn't put it on a lightweight Kimber but it's not nearly as heavy or high as you might think at first blush.
I can guarantee you can see stuff in the trees at dusk with the 2.5-10x56 Swaro that you would have no idea were there with a Leupy 2.5-8x36, I've hunting with both.

Bigger scopes aren't for every rifle but they certainly do have thier place on the right rifles in the right conditions................................DJ
Posted By: NYH1 Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/16/09
IMHO, Leupold makes the best scopes money can buy, for no other reason then they stand behind their products 110%.
So does zeiss & swarovski....leupold set the bar on customer service but others have caught up
I think the best all-around scope is the zeiss 2.5-10x42. 15 oz, bright, sturdy, 3.5" eye relief
That's the only spendy Euro scope that tempts me now.
Posted By: jpb Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/16/09
Originally Posted by SAKO75
I think the best all-around scope is the zeiss 2.5-10x42. 15 oz, bright, sturdy, 3.5" eye relief

I think that is the scope that koshkin named as the best on the market (or perhaps it was one of the best 3?)

Everytime I look through one of this model Zeiss (their most practical model, in my opinion) I feel myself weakening...

John
Posted By: NYH1 Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/17/09
Originally Posted by DAMARA
So does zeiss & swarovski....leupold set the bar on customer service but others have caught up
I didn't know that. I don't have Zeiss & Swarovski money anyways lol. I have heard really good things about both of them though. I've heard horror stories about other brands. Even ones that say they have a lifetime warranties.

Leupold has always taken good care of me so they'll continue to buy their products as long as they stand behind their customers the way they do now!

Must agree 110%
Z5 Swaro is hard to beat!

Better yet is the same scope with 50 mm objective and illuminated # 4 reticle. For a little weight increase you will own the night.
Originally Posted by pigster

Better yet is the same scope with 50 mm objective and illuminated # 4 reticle. For a little weight increase you will own the night.

At 2.5X you have an exit pupil of 16mm, or 9mm more than your eye can use IF you're young and your pupils still dilate to 7mm. After 40, most folks pupils won't dilate much past 5mm. There is the issue that Erimicus brings up, and that is the more magnification you can use the more useful your scope is at night. In that case a 50mm Objective may be a little better, but not that much.
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

At 2.5X you have an exit pupil of 16mm, or 9mm more than your eye can use IF you're young and your pupils still dilate to 7mm. After 40, most folks pupils won't dilate much past 5mm. There is the issue that Erimicus brings up, and that is the more magnification you can use the more useful your scope is at night. In that case a 50mm Objective may be a little better, but not that much.

I don't know how true the 7 or 5mm conventional wisdom is. At 47yrs old I had my pupils measured in a darkened (not completely dark room) and they were 7.2mm (without dialation fluid). I've always had good night vision and don't smoke so probably am on the higher end of the curve but another poster here did the same thing and was over 40years old and around 7mm - both contrary to the conventional wisdom. - If you are at the eye doctor you might ask them if they check for pupil size and ask them about yours.......................DJ
dj,

It's not conventional wisdom, it's medical fact. I've read it in many places where big objectives were being discussed, and I've seen Barsness reference it. However, I also asked my eye surgeon. He confirmed what I had read. I'm out on the edge of the curve with you; my pupils dilate to 8mm in a dim/darkened room. That's the reason I was speaking with a surgeon. Before they would do my Refractive Laser surgery I had to have prosthetic lenses put in both eyes. The prosthetic lenses have an anti-reflective coating. Additionally, the prosthetic lenses improved my vision to augment the laser surgery.

So, generally speaking, when a person's eyes are young their pupils can dilate to around 7mm. By age 40, in general, a person's pupils cannot dilate much past 5mm.

PS - I do have good night vision, but I've never gotten a group together and tested how I compare to a group. In a group of 10 men, ages 45 - 55, I'm sure some of them, in fact, most of the them, should have average night vision with a pupil dilation of 4~5mm.
According to the article a couple months ago in American Hunter the best is Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56. The author raved about this scope, and called it the Riflescope of riflescopes".
Posted By: RinB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/18/09
nightforce 2.5x10
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
According to the article a couple months ago in American Hunter the best is Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56. The author raved about this scope, and called it the Riflescope of riflescopes".

it is on my wishlist...
Posted By: BMT Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/18/09
This is a funny question.

An 8x56 SB might be great, but it would SUCK on a Ruger Alaskan, in 416 Ruger--it just ain't a Dangerous Game scope.

My Leupold M8 4x scope is not perfect, but it is almost completely perfect on the 10/22 it is mounted on.

A Zeiss Conquest 1.5-5 is scary bright in low light, but is huge and heavy--thus defeating the advantages of the 30/30 Marlin.

My point is, even the "BEST" scope, ain't necessarily the best for every application.

When the actual use of the scope is factored in:

The 8x56 S&B is extremely good for western plains hunting (Antelope, Mule Deer, etc.). This may well be perfect for the 300 WSM that the OP is using.

but. . . .

The LEupold Ultralight 2.5 is a Extremely Good as a DG scope.

The Nightforce is tops in the Sandbox on a Bolt Action 308.

Good Shooting,

BMT

BMT: stop making sense. This is the optics forum, fer Pete's sake!

Whatever the best scope is, I'll mount it too far back... grin
My new Benelli R 1 270 WSM with incredible end to end fiddleback matching foreend and buttsock just arrived.

I got out my minty 4-16x50 Schmidt PH and ANIB 4.5x18x50 Kahles, mounted them in 30mm rings. Either scope costs more than the rifle by a 2x and 1.5x factor.

Looking forward to testing the rifle and handloads with NO question about the quality of scope affecting results.

I own too many scopes but when the chips are down these never fail me.

Originally Posted by oldman1942
...I own too many scopes...

This is not possible any more than you can own too many guns.

A man can never have too many optics or too many guns.

Man Law.
BMT!!!

See above post!

The S & B 2.5-10x56 comprises all the uses you describe. It must be the best-right????

The author of the article describes how S&B was the OPNLY scope to pass the durability tests for the military-so it was adopted by them.
Posted By: Andre Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/18/09
[Linked Image]

Swarovski Z6 5-30x50P ! Only one drawback : cost ! Presently 2.130 � - 2.895 � (2.982 USD - 4.053 USD), according to options...
Posted By: BMT Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/18/09
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
BMT: stop making sense. This is the optics forum, fer Pete's sake!

Opps, sorry. I don;t know what came over me . . . .

Whatever the best scope is, I'll mount it too far back... grin

Agreed.

BMT
Posted By: TCB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/20/09
Well folks I just bought a scope and hope I made the right decision. Based on quality, warranty, customer service, price, and overall utility for all game and environmental conditions I chose the Zeiss Victory Diavari 3�12 x 56 T* Illuminated #60 Reticle. Thanks to all of you for the assistance.
I have a couple of Zeiss scopes. You will not be disappointed.
Your 3-12x56 will not disappoint you. I have three of them, they are superior in every way.
Posted By: rifle Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/20/09
Leupold....pay any more,spent too much
Pay any less,well that's what you will get.....
Posted By: TCB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/21/09
Originally Posted by rifle
Leupold....pay any more,spent too much
Pay any less,well that's what you will get.....

Rifle,
If that were the case I would have a Leupold but frankly Leupold�s are not what they used to be. I have an old vari-x 3 I bought about 20 years ago and its a tank compared to whats being made now. I'll put my Zeiss Conquest's up against anything Leupold makes. I've had them all at one time or another, I now own Zeiss.
Posted By: DMB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/21/09
Buried with in the words "Best Scope Money Can buy" is the word application. It's all through this thread with guys discussing what is best, for their use. And, they are right, for their application.
No way would I use a S&B 4x36 at a centerfire benchrest match. Nor would I use a March scope on a Cape Buffalo hunt in Africa.
I had an interesting experience last week shooting a Rem 722 in 222 at the range. I installed a Swarovski PF 6x42 scope on the rifle as it was one HOT shooter, delivering benchrest quality groups from a 55 year old sporter. I was using a 20x scope for that testing. When shooting groups at 100 yards, I actually saw 22 caliber bullet holes in the target with a 6x scope. Never before have I seen 22 bullet holes in a target 100 yards away using any other fixed 6x, or variable scope set at 6x. I was blow away.
Answer: HIGH quality optics.
Leupold....pay any more,spent too much - but you got a better scope if you bought a Zeiss/S&B/Swarovski
Pay any less,well that's what you will get. -more money in your pocket and a better scope if you bought a Zeiss Conquest or Elite 4200....

There I fixed it.......................DJ
That is impressive DMB. What I've noticed is that scopes that do that also have pretty small eye boxes. So, as someone else has said, it's a matter of picking trade offs. E
Posted By: rifle Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/21/09
I've seen bullets holes with Leupold 6x42 at 100.They work...
I also own Swaro's,old Zeiss and Kahles.The Kahles I find to be very bright in dark conditions almost to the point of being illegal in some areas.I choose Leupold because of the variety in power,size and price range and if they shoot loose or quack out,they get fixed quick..I had a Swaro gone for 4 months?
I own a weird selection of rifles and the European manufacturer's don't have something to fit as many models as Leupold.I've had Burris,Nikon and B&L's that had issues that shouldn't have been....that's just me
Iflyguns: If you are using that Sako for Hunting and ever expect to use it in severe conditions then you are MUCH better off with a Leupold 3.5x10!
I have been using these scopes for a LONG time and have as yet to encounter ANY problem or shortcoming with any of them.
Someone may have already pointed out that - nothing is perfect, but in my extensive experience the Leupolds come real close.
And they come in the silver matte finish also.
No "flak" - just fact!
Buy reliability - buy American - buy LEUPOLD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
If you are using that Sako for Hunting and ever expect to use it in severe conditions then you are MUCH better off with a Leupold 3.5x10!

In order for such advise to have any credibility you would have had to personally witness Zeiss Victory scopes fail under severe conditions.Please tell us just how many Zeiss Victory scopes that you have seen fail with your own eyes.
Originally Posted by DMB
Buried with in the words "Best Scope Money Can buy" is the word application. It's all through this thread with guys discussing what is best, for their use. And, they are right, for their application.
No way would I use a S&B 4x36 at a centerfire benchrest match. Nor would I use a March scope on a Cape Buffalo hunt in Africa.
I had an interesting experience last week shooting a Rem 722 in 222 at the range. I installed a Swarovski PF 6x42 scope on the rifle as it was one HOT shooter, delivering benchrest quality groups from a 55 year old sporter. I was using a 20x scope for that testing. When shooting groups at 100 yards, I actually saw 22 caliber bullet holes in the target with a 6x scope. Never before have I seen 22 bullet holes in a target 100 yards away using any other fixed 6x, or variable scope set at 6x. I was blow away.
Answer: HIGH quality optics.

Originally Posted by Eremicus
That is impressive DMB. What I've noticed is that scopes that do that also have pretty small eye boxes (although I've never even seen the one you're talking about, so I really don't have a f'n clue if the eyebox is small). So, as someone else has said, it's a matter of picking trade offs. E

First, have you ever looked through a Swarovski PF 6x42?
Second, face it, it�s a better scope in every way than the loopy 6x42.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Iflyguns: If you are using that Sako for Hunting and ever expect to use it in severe conditions then you are MUCH better off with a Leupold 3.5x10!
I have been using these scopes for a LONG time and have as yet to encounter ANY problem or shortcoming with any of them.
Someone may have already pointed out that - nothing is perfect, but in my extensive experience the Leupolds come real close.
And they come in the silver matte finish also.
No "flak" - just fact!
Buy reliability - buy American - buy LEUPOLD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It seems as if the professionals dissagree.

Originally Posted by Terry Cross

I have always been a huge, huge Leupold advocate. They were always my benchmark for quality, innovation and U.S. workmanship. I own an awful lot of their product and continue to use it regularly.

However. . . . In the last few years, I have seen a change in the way Leupold does business and delivers product to the market. As they have grown, they have embraced many less than admirable traits that seem to define too many parts of American businesses. While their pricing has been steadily increasing at a faster rate than inflation, their quality has dropped. They are still capable of producing a sharp, repeatable optic but not as dependably.

My biggest aggravation with Leupold is the fact that less than 5% of their product line that can be legally stamped "Made in U.S.A." and I'm not even sure that those few are !!! What started out with a few of their Wind River imports has blown into an all out effort to prostitute their name brand for a dollar.

I just received 18 RX-4 range finders, 18 Tactical 10x50 Patrol Binoculars and 18 Mk 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm TMR Illum. scopes for a package deal I have to ship. This is pretty much suppossed to be their better gear. Guess what? Range finders "Made In CHINA". Binoculars "Made In China". Scopes have no country of origin marked on the packaging, instructions or product. Call back from Leupold informs me that the scopes are assembled in Oregon but so many of the parts and sub-assemblies are made over-seas (mostly China except for some of their lenses)that they do not qualify for the Made in USA stamp!

I can assure you that sourcing their components and products from China has dropped their costs very, very dramatically while they have continued to raise market prices. You know, honestly, it isn't even the price/profit thing that burns me. It is the fact that they chose to move their sourcing and manufacturing (I do consider "manufacturing" and "assembly" two different beasts in this instance) out of the country and specifically China. Why couldn't they keep most of their production here and just up their pricing 10%? Jesus, I could drop my selling price and triple my profit on freakin Pod-Loc kits if I used components from outside the U.S., but I refuse to go there. Guess that is why I still drive a 10 year old truck.

While they may still have satisfactory product performance and at least attempt innovative ideas occaisionally, I believe that they are straying from their roots, pumping a ton of money into foreign factories and putting yet another hole in the bottom of the lifeboat that retains at least a small fraction of our ability to domestically support our police and military logistics in the event of any serious conflict. I remain firmly convinced that we shall sorely curse the day that we wake up and realize that we need to raise our military to a task only to find out we have cut off our own legs. I aim this statement not only at Leupold but other textile, steel, electronics and molding industries based in the U.S. You don't just start that [bleep] back up inside the U.S. borders overnight.

I will continue to use my original Leupold products but I shall migrate away from giving their company blanket support. I will, instead continue to give more and more support to companies that take risks, accept slightly lower margins and consciously make the effort to strengthen our own economy and workforce. As you purchase your gear or spec out the equipment for your agency bids, please consider more than F.O.V. and click value.

I would seriously love to debate the execs at Leupold in front of their Board about some of this.

DISCLAIMER: I know that some out there will have personal budgets at home that restrict your choices to imports and I totally respect that. A non-US product is better than no product at all in some cases.

DISCLAIMER #2: Yeah, that was more than a second. Sorry.
TC

And

Originally Posted by BobinNC

Leupold was the pinnacle of tactical rifle scopes.....in 1989. Not much has been improved over the last 20 years, except the prices have gotten higher; and therein lies the problem with Leupold.

Great Customer service, Great Custom shop, and operational features that were the cutting edge 20 years ago.

Wish they would get a clue. Used to love their stuff. But the world has moved on, and Leupold has stood rigidly still.

That is not bashing Leupold, it's a realization that previously well thought of US company, is on the decline. There is no good reason for this to be so. Insipid management, resting on it's past laurels, are dooming a fine (MK4) product line to an also-ran, laughing stock status.

The only rational that prevents Leupold from fully competing with S&B, USO, Premier Hertiage, Nightforce, IOR, Vortex, Sightron, Falcon and even SWFA's Super Sniper lines, is that they (Leupold) chose not to do so. So they peddle the exact same products as they did in 1999, but change the packaging, and increase the price.

If Leupold choses not the compete and provide me as a shooter with a product that is competitive, both functionally and price wise, with the competition; then I chose not to buy their product.

But as a company who at one time lead the world in production and design of tactical scopes, Leupold's fall has been profound and stunning.

Maybe there is more money to be made for Leupold, by peddling DogShit Optics from China, and selling it as America's finest. But count me off of that bandwagon.
Bob

dave

dave
With respect to not being able to see 22 cal bullet holes at 100 yards with a 6x scope, is that in the black? I could understand that. But out of the black I easily see the holes my 223 makes at 100 yards via 6x Leupold glass.

I might see them even better via 6x Swaro or S&B but I don't have those to compare.
Second, face it, it�s a better scope in every way than the loopy 6x42.

Long and noncritical eye relief?
I know BobinNC has hunted for years and favors fixed-power loopys. Terry Cross I recognize as a professional and a competing shooter. How is VarmintGuy a professional? Is he a professional water-carrier for loopy?
VarmintGuy,

If a Leupie 3 1/2-10 is good, wouldn't a 4 1/2-14 be better? I mean the question is the best money can get.
Hi guys i would of thought Schmidt and bender 5-25x56 PM2 or one of the high end US Optics scopes would of been the best money can buy, just my opinion.

Mike
Posted By: DMB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/22/09
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
dj,

It's not conventional wisdom, it's medical fact. I've read it in many places where big objectives were being discussed, and I've seen Barsness reference it. However, I also asked my eye surgeon. He confirmed what I had read. I'm out on the edge of the curve with you; my pupils dilate to 8mm in a dim/darkened room. That's the reason I was speaking with a surgeon. Before they would do my Refractive Laser surgery I had to have prosthetic lenses put in both eyes. The prosthetic lenses have an anti-reflective coating. Additionally, the prosthetic lenses improved my vision to augment the laser surgery.

So, generally speaking, when a person's eyes are young their pupils can dilate to around 7mm. By age 40, in general, a person's pupils cannot dilate much past 5mm.

PS - I do have good night vision, but I've never gotten a group together and tested how I compare to a group. In a group of 10 men, ages 45 - 55, I'm sure some of them, in fact, most of the them, should have average night vision with a pupil dilation of 4~5mm.

Magnum,

Powerful posting, and right on, as are all of your posts.
I'm questioning now if my pupils will even open up to 5mm. I doubt it. So, I've been using 5mm to size all of my optics in the last few years. I know I can't use anything higher than 5mm.
Hang in there.
Don
Originally Posted by DMB
Magnum,

Powerful posting, and right on, as are all of your posts.
I'm questioning now if my pupils will even open up to 5mm. I doubt it. So, I've been using 5mm to size all of my optics in the last few years. I know I can't use anything higher than 5mm.
Hang in there.
Don

Hey Don,

Thanks for the kind words my friend. Make an appointment with an optometrist or an ophthalmologist, either can measure your pupils for you in a darkened room.

As an aside, your posts, along with a few other posters, are ones I always read. The reason? You have the most sought after type of experience - field experience. There's a couple others that have a tremendous amount of field experience as well: Steelhead, BobinNC, VA, Isaac to name a few.

I value your opinion not only for that reason, but also because you get it across without belittling anyone. That is an art form and speaks volumes about your people skills.

You hang in there too Brother.
If you like looking at charts through your scope and standing outside at night comparing one to another, there is no telling what you will come up with..

I use a scope for one thing, and thats hunting..I am not anal about clarity, etc., etc., I intend to place the cross hair on a big game animal and pull the trigger, the sight picture always seems clear to me, but if not then I can still perform the task at hand...I have shot animals in the fog where they appeared to be a ghost, so I suppose clarity is over played along with a lot of things I read about..and even worse is the size of scopes that many of todays hunters put on their hunting rifles.

What has worked for me for the past 60 plus years is Leupolds, I have used them under all conditions and on almost every continent, I have culled large amounts of animals with them and have used them in all manor of weather and harsh conditions..They have satisfied me totally...

If I had to pick one scope to use on all my rifles for the rest of my life on everything from rockchucks to Elephant, then it would undoubtebly be the old 3X or 4X fixed Leupold..I like the 1x4, 1.5x5 and 2x7x33 Leupolds for my hunting..I have 3x9s on my varmint rifles. I am satisfied with that..I tried the rest and didn't much care for them. I don't like European scopes..

This is my take only, applies only to myself, what others do is certainly their option, just like the above is mine. Not up for arguement, might discuss it a bit around a campfire.
For me a good scope is a european scope. Never ever have they failed. Leupold have failed. So wise from my own experience I avoid that L brand. Use my hard earned money to buy quality and usability.
What about US Optics? Their 2.8-22X only runs $2,285 and is American made. Buy American, buy the best.

Or buy 10 Tasco's and when one takes a dump, toss it and install another!
WanglerJohn,

I pay only $100 for my Tascos. smile
[bleep] Leupolds used last week, I'm expecting more dead [bleep] this coming week with more [bleep] Leupolds. It is enjoyable watching folks 'talk' that I ain't seen post anything dead, ever.

You boys carry on.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"The Best Scope Money Can Buy".... It depends.

For me, I've found that for the vast majority of my hunting, Leupold gets the nod. Sure, there's other scopes on the market that are brighter, have better contrast, color rendition, etc...., but for my hunting Leupold has most of the attributes I desire.

Light weight, rugged, dependable, excellent eye relief, forgiving eye box, trim aesthetic lines, etc.

Now, for hunting the night shift, I use a S&B Zenith with Flash Dot. Hunting feral hogs with little to no moon light and in heavy cover.... the expensive Euro scope "shines".
Originally Posted by Steelhead
...................... It is enjoyable watching folks 'talk' that I ain't seen post anything dead, ever.

You just haven't looked, there's been plenty others posted........................DJ
Not many, if ANY, people calling Leupolds [bleep].

Glance up at the title of the thread. Hell, even Leupold wouldn't make the claim that their vx-2 and vx-3 scopes are "the best scopes money can buy"!

I love my Leupolds and sing their praises regularly, but that doesn't mean I can't love other scopes or optics, too, and sing their praises.

Leupold makes good scopes, but there are better ones.

Been posted before but it sure looks like a Swaro my buddy used on this little Mulie:

[Linked Image]

...........................dj
There's always trade-offs and compromises to be had with any given make and model scope.
I think the die-hard Leupold supporters have simply found through trial and experience that for most hunting needs, Loopie has the best blend and balance at an affordable price.
I don't want to get too technical here but the law of supply and demand pretty much assures that "the best (insert product here) money can buy" is not going to be below the midpoint of the overall price range. whistle

OD
i think for Hunting the first focal plane Zeiss Diavari is probably the best....how much better than the rest id debateable....the etched first focal plane reticle, legendary zeiss glass and, lotutec anti-fog coating are all plusses
Originally Posted by ceylonc
My $.02...

--Zeiss Victory Divari;
--Swarovski Z6;

Ditto. Now if you ask me what is the best VALUE, the choice would be Leupold without question. jorge
Posted By: BMT Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/24/09
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by ceylonc
My $.02...

--Zeiss Victory Divari;
--Swarovski Z6;

Ditto. Now if you ask me what is the best VALUE, the choice would be Leupold without question. jorge

Amen.
VALUE.....zeiss conquest
VALUE.....zeiss conquest

+1
I will never know what the absolute best is that money can buy...

But best my budget can buy is Nightforce.
Posted By: rifle Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/24/09
Let's try to find a firearm that a Leupold won't work on?
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[bleep] Leupolds used last week, I'm expecting more dead [bleep] this coming week with more [bleep] Leupolds. It is enjoyable watching folks 'talk' that I ain't seen post anything dead, ever.

You boys carry on.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Did you whack another one? I thought you'd shot the buck you posted with the "Back in Black"?

Either way, that's a nice buck.

Travis
Let's try to find a firearm that a Leupold won't work on?

Of course the same can be said for many other scope manufacturers. grin
Best bar none--Zeiss Diavari
Best Value--Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell Elite 4200
Posted By: rifle Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/25/09
but does Swaro,S&B and Zeiss make scopes for shotguns,.22's the #1 BR scope and Scouts or any tubes under 20 ozs?
Originally Posted by 300grains
For me a good scope is a european scope. Never ever have they failed......

Wish I could say that....... frown
but does Swaro,S&B and Zeiss make scopes for shotguns,.22's the #1 BR scope and Scouts or any tubes under 20 ozs?

They make scopes that can be used on shotguns,rimfires,or target use.
Posted By: TCB Re: The Best Scope Money Can Buy - 11/25/09
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Best bar none--Zeiss Diavari
Best Value--Zeiss Conquest or Bushnell Elite 4200

Best value: AGREED!

It's a complete misconception that Zeiss and Swarovski Scopes are particularly heavy. Both make 30mm tube scopes with 56mm! objectives that weigh less than 20oz. They both make 30mm tube scopes with 50mm objectives that are lighter than some makers 1" tube scopes with 40mm objectives.....................................DJ
My vote is for the Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 with 30mm tube. It's big, but it's awesome. Just put one on my Tikka T3 .300wm and IMHO it's the only way to fly.
In all honesty I'd be happy with either the Swarovski Z6 or the Schmidt & Bender Summit as well ( have used a mate's S&M ), but a Zeiss came up at the right price and I love it.
well i agree on the zeiss and they are way lighter than S&B's and usually swaro...
however i wouldnt want to lug a 56mm tube through the brush no matter how light

the 2.5-10x42 is so bright i could imagine needing the 56..
For hunting, any of the Zeiss, Swaro and S&B in the 2.5/3-10/12 in 50mm could be the best scope money can buy. The Zeiss has the best optics per oz. At any oz, the S&B has the best optics (best resolution, worse flare) but it�s the heaviest(but very well build). If I have to choose between the two, I would be so confused I would probably pick the Swaro(best balance in optics/oz and build/oz). If you want better optics than the above mentioned �best scopes�, chose any of the above in 56mm. If all of the above scopes are too heavy, chose any of the above in 42mm. For best in optics/$ and build/$, Zeiss Conquest. Aic
Originally Posted by Aicman
For hunting, any of the Zeiss, Swaro and S&B in the 2.5/3-10/12 in 50mm could be the best scope money can buy. The Zeiss has the best optics per oz. At any oz, the S&B has the best optics (best resolution, worse flare) but it�s the heaviest(but very well build). If I have to choose between the two, I would be so confused I would probably pick the Swaro(best balance in optics/oz and build/oz). If you want better optics than the above mentioned �best scopes�, chose any of the above in 56mm. If all of the above scopes are too heavy, chose any of the above in 42mm. For best in optics/$ and build/$, Zeiss Conquest. Aic

But,but, Aic.
You mean loopie,is not in the running?
dave
$$ no object, excellent "all-around" hunting scope, I really like the Zeiss Victory Diavari T* VM/V 2.5-10x42mm #4
© 24hourcampfire