Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
TCB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Well folks I just bought a scope and hope I made the right decision. Based on quality, warranty, customer service, price, and overall utility for all game and environmental conditions I chose the Zeiss Victory Diavari 3�12 x 56 T* Illuminated #60 Reticle. Thanks to all of you for the assistance.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of Zeiss scopes. You will not be disappointed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Your 3-12x56 will not disappoint you. I have three of them, they are superior in every way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leupold....pay any more,spent too much
Pay any less,well that's what you will get.....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

T
TCB Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by rifle
Leupold....pay any more,spent too much
Pay any less,well that's what you will get.....

Rifle,
If that were the case I would have a Leupold but frankly Leupold�s are not what they used to be. I have an old vari-x 3 I bought about 20 years ago and its a tank compared to whats being made now. I'll put my Zeiss Conquest's up against anything Leupold makes. I've had them all at one time or another, I now own Zeiss.

IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Buried with in the words "Best Scope Money Can buy" is the word application. It's all through this thread with guys discussing what is best, for their use. And, they are right, for their application.
No way would I use a S&B 4x36 at a centerfire benchrest match. Nor would I use a March scope on a Cape Buffalo hunt in Africa.
I had an interesting experience last week shooting a Rem 722 in 222 at the range. I installed a Swarovski PF 6x42 scope on the rifle as it was one HOT shooter, delivering benchrest quality groups from a 55 year old sporter. I was using a 20x scope for that testing. When shooting groups at 100 yards, I actually saw 22 caliber bullet holes in the target with a 6x scope. Never before have I seen 22 bullet holes in a target 100 yards away using any other fixed 6x, or variable scope set at 6x. I was blow away.
Answer: HIGH quality optics.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rifle
Leupold....pay any more,spent too much - but you got a better scope if you bought a Zeiss/S&B/Swarovski
Pay any less,well that's what you will get. -more money in your pocket and a better scope if you bought a Zeiss Conquest or Elite 4200....

There I fixed it.......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That is impressive DMB. What I've noticed is that scopes that do that also have pretty small eye boxes. So, as someone else has said, it's a matter of picking trade offs. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen bullets holes with Leupold 6x42 at 100.They work...
I also own Swaro's,old Zeiss and Kahles.The Kahles I find to be very bright in dark conditions almost to the point of being illegal in some areas.I choose Leupold because of the variety in power,size and price range and if they shoot loose or quack out,they get fixed quick..I had a Swaro gone for 4 months?
I own a weird selection of rifles and the European manufacturer's don't have something to fit as many models as Leupold.I've had Burris,Nikon and B&L's that had issues that shouldn't have been....that's just me

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Iflyguns: If you are using that Sako for Hunting and ever expect to use it in severe conditions then you are MUCH better off with a Leupold 3.5x10!
I have been using these scopes for a LONG time and have as yet to encounter ANY problem or shortcoming with any of them.
Someone may have already pointed out that - nothing is perfect, but in my extensive experience the Leupolds come real close.
And they come in the silver matte finish also.
No "flak" - just fact!
Buy reliability - buy American - buy LEUPOLD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are using that Sako for Hunting and ever expect to use it in severe conditions then you are MUCH better off with a Leupold 3.5x10!

In order for such advise to have any credibility you would have had to personally witness Zeiss Victory scopes fail under severe conditions.Please tell us just how many Zeiss Victory scopes that you have seen fail with your own eyes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DMB
Buried with in the words "Best Scope Money Can buy" is the word application. It's all through this thread with guys discussing what is best, for their use. And, they are right, for their application.
No way would I use a S&B 4x36 at a centerfire benchrest match. Nor would I use a March scope on a Cape Buffalo hunt in Africa.
I had an interesting experience last week shooting a Rem 722 in 222 at the range. I installed a Swarovski PF 6x42 scope on the rifle as it was one HOT shooter, delivering benchrest quality groups from a 55 year old sporter. I was using a 20x scope for that testing. When shooting groups at 100 yards, I actually saw 22 caliber bullet holes in the target with a 6x scope. Never before have I seen 22 bullet holes in a target 100 yards away using any other fixed 6x, or variable scope set at 6x. I was blow away.
Answer: HIGH quality optics.

Originally Posted by Eremicus
That is impressive DMB. What I've noticed is that scopes that do that also have pretty small eye boxes (although I've never even seen the one you're talking about, so I really don't have a f'n clue if the eyebox is small). So, as someone else has said, it's a matter of picking trade offs. E

First, have you ever looked through a Swarovski PF 6x42?
Second, face it, it�s a better scope in every way than the loopy 6x42.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Iflyguns: If you are using that Sako for Hunting and ever expect to use it in severe conditions then you are MUCH better off with a Leupold 3.5x10!
I have been using these scopes for a LONG time and have as yet to encounter ANY problem or shortcoming with any of them.
Someone may have already pointed out that - nothing is perfect, but in my extensive experience the Leupolds come real close.
And they come in the silver matte finish also.
No "flak" - just fact!
Buy reliability - buy American - buy LEUPOLD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It seems as if the professionals dissagree.

Originally Posted by Terry Cross

I have always been a huge, huge Leupold advocate. They were always my benchmark for quality, innovation and U.S. workmanship. I own an awful lot of their product and continue to use it regularly.

However. . . . In the last few years, I have seen a change in the way Leupold does business and delivers product to the market. As they have grown, they have embraced many less than admirable traits that seem to define too many parts of American businesses. While their pricing has been steadily increasing at a faster rate than inflation, their quality has dropped. They are still capable of producing a sharp, repeatable optic but not as dependably.

My biggest aggravation with Leupold is the fact that less than 5% of their product line that can be legally stamped "Made in U.S.A." and I'm not even sure that those few are !!! What started out with a few of their Wind River imports has blown into an all out effort to prostitute their name brand for a dollar.

I just received 18 RX-4 range finders, 18 Tactical 10x50 Patrol Binoculars and 18 Mk 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm TMR Illum. scopes for a package deal I have to ship. This is pretty much suppossed to be their better gear. Guess what? Range finders "Made In CHINA". Binoculars "Made In China". Scopes have no country of origin marked on the packaging, instructions or product. Call back from Leupold informs me that the scopes are assembled in Oregon but so many of the parts and sub-assemblies are made over-seas (mostly China except for some of their lenses)that they do not qualify for the Made in USA stamp!

I can assure you that sourcing their components and products from China has dropped their costs very, very dramatically while they have continued to raise market prices. You know, honestly, it isn't even the price/profit thing that burns me. It is the fact that they chose to move their sourcing and manufacturing (I do consider "manufacturing" and "assembly" two different beasts in this instance) out of the country and specifically China. Why couldn't they keep most of their production here and just up their pricing 10%? Jesus, I could drop my selling price and triple my profit on freakin Pod-Loc kits if I used components from outside the U.S., but I refuse to go there. Guess that is why I still drive a 10 year old truck.

While they may still have satisfactory product performance and at least attempt innovative ideas occaisionally, I believe that they are straying from their roots, pumping a ton of money into foreign factories and putting yet another hole in the bottom of the lifeboat that retains at least a small fraction of our ability to domestically support our police and military logistics in the event of any serious conflict. I remain firmly convinced that we shall sorely curse the day that we wake up and realize that we need to raise our military to a task only to find out we have cut off our own legs. I aim this statement not only at Leupold but other textile, steel, electronics and molding industries based in the U.S. You don't just start that [bleep] back up inside the U.S. borders overnight.

I will continue to use my original Leupold products but I shall migrate away from giving their company blanket support. I will, instead continue to give more and more support to companies that take risks, accept slightly lower margins and consciously make the effort to strengthen our own economy and workforce. As you purchase your gear or spec out the equipment for your agency bids, please consider more than F.O.V. and click value.

I would seriously love to debate the execs at Leupold in front of their Board about some of this.

DISCLAIMER: I know that some out there will have personal budgets at home that restrict your choices to imports and I totally respect that. A non-US product is better than no product at all in some cases.

DISCLAIMER #2: Yeah, that was more than a second. Sorry.
TC

And

Originally Posted by BobinNC

Leupold was the pinnacle of tactical rifle scopes.....in 1989. Not much has been improved over the last 20 years, except the prices have gotten higher; and therein lies the problem with Leupold.

Great Customer service, Great Custom shop, and operational features that were the cutting edge 20 years ago.

Wish they would get a clue. Used to love their stuff. But the world has moved on, and Leupold has stood rigidly still.

That is not bashing Leupold, it's a realization that previously well thought of US company, is on the decline. There is no good reason for this to be so. Insipid management, resting on it's past laurels, are dooming a fine (MK4) product line to an also-ran, laughing stock status.

The only rational that prevents Leupold from fully competing with S&B, USO, Premier Hertiage, Nightforce, IOR, Vortex, Sightron, Falcon and even SWFA's Super Sniper lines, is that they (Leupold) chose not to do so. So they peddle the exact same products as they did in 1999, but change the packaging, and increase the price.

If Leupold choses not the compete and provide me as a shooter with a product that is competitive, both functionally and price wise, with the competition; then I chose not to buy their product.

But as a company who at one time lead the world in production and design of tactical scopes, Leupold's fall has been profound and stunning.

Maybe there is more money to be made for Leupold, by peddling DogShit Optics from China, and selling it as America's finest. But count me off of that bandwagon.
Bob

dave

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With respect to not being able to see 22 cal bullet holes at 100 yards with a 6x scope, is that in the black? I could understand that. But out of the black I easily see the holes my 223 makes at 100 yards via 6x Leupold glass.

I might see them even better via 6x Swaro or S&B but I don't have those to compare.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Second, face it, it�s a better scope in every way than the loopy 6x42.

Long and noncritical eye relief?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I know BobinNC has hunted for years and favors fixed-power loopys. Terry Cross I recognize as a professional and a competing shooter. How is VarmintGuy a professional? Is he a professional water-carrier for loopy?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
VarmintGuy,

If a Leupie 3 1/2-10 is good, wouldn't a 4 1/2-14 be better? I mean the question is the best money can get.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
M
Hi guys i would of thought Schmidt and bender 5-25x56 PM2 or one of the high end US Optics scopes would of been the best money can buy, just my opinion.

Mike

Last edited by mike_24; 11/22/09.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
dj,

It's not conventional wisdom, it's medical fact. I've read it in many places where big objectives were being discussed, and I've seen Barsness reference it. However, I also asked my eye surgeon. He confirmed what I had read. I'm out on the edge of the curve with you; my pupils dilate to 8mm in a dim/darkened room. That's the reason I was speaking with a surgeon. Before they would do my Refractive Laser surgery I had to have prosthetic lenses put in both eyes. The prosthetic lenses have an anti-reflective coating. Additionally, the prosthetic lenses improved my vision to augment the laser surgery.

So, generally speaking, when a person's eyes are young their pupils can dilate to around 7mm. By age 40, in general, a person's pupils cannot dilate much past 5mm.

PS - I do have good night vision, but I've never gotten a group together and tested how I compare to a group. In a group of 10 men, ages 45 - 55, I'm sure some of them, in fact, most of the them, should have average night vision with a pupil dilation of 4~5mm.

Magnum,

Powerful posting, and right on, as are all of your posts.
I'm questioning now if my pupils will even open up to 5mm. I doubt it. So, I've been using 5mm to size all of my optics in the last few years. I know I can't use anything higher than 5mm.
Hang in there.
Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DMB
Magnum,

Powerful posting, and right on, as are all of your posts.
I'm questioning now if my pupils will even open up to 5mm. I doubt it. So, I've been using 5mm to size all of my optics in the last few years. I know I can't use anything higher than 5mm.
Hang in there.
Don

Hey Don,

Thanks for the kind words my friend. Make an appointment with an optometrist or an ophthalmologist, either can measure your pupils for you in a darkened room.

As an aside, your posts, along with a few other posters, are ones I always read. The reason? You have the most sought after type of experience - field experience. There's a couple others that have a tremendous amount of field experience as well: Steelhead, BobinNC, VA, Isaac to name a few.

I value your opinion not only for that reason, but also because you get it across without belittling anyone. That is an art form and speaks volumes about your people skills.

You hang in there too Brother.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (257wthbylover, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,117
Posts18,522,844
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.