Home
I was 'splaining my thinking on a new scope purchase just now and ran into the confusing PITA that is Leupold nomenclature yet again. Vari-X III. VX-III. Now VX3. Sheesh! What's next, Vari-VX II+I? VX-Three?

D+ for whomever at Leupold made the latest name "upgrade".

(hello, Calvin!) wink
[Linked Image]
Jeff, would you find it less confusing when dealing with a company like Swaro who renames a scope like the AV series to the Z3 and made no changes other than the name?
RD, that sucks too! smile

it (the Leupold thing) is worst in conversation. Vx-III and VX3 are the same damn thing. Was talking to a dude in the Leupold Custom Shop a couple weeks ago and he said "VX Roman numeral three". I'm sorry, that's retarded to make people say that!
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Jeff, would you find it less confusing when dealing with a company like Swaro who renames a scope like the AV series to the Z3 and made no changes other than the name?

That is not true. There are some external cosmetic changes to the eyepiece.

ILya
funny
I'm thinking that people that can't handle different nomenclature shouldn't be around firearms. With a .308 Winchester and .308 Norma magnum, how on earth could somebody possibly figure out what ammunition to buy?
Know what you mean......I had a 7mm Remington Express that they stopped making so I sold it........shame it was a nice gun.................. grin
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I was 'splaining my thinking on a new scope purchase just now and ran into the confusing PITA that is Leupold nomenclature yet again. Vari-X III. VX-III. Now VX3. Sheesh! What's next, Vari-VX II+I? VX-Three?

D+ for whomever at Leupold made the latest name "upgrade".

(hello, Calvin!) wink

Damn, are you bored................
Had you considered that "V" and "X" are Roman numerals II?

The only thing that Leupold has recently done that I find confusing is changing the lense coatings in the VX2 series without changing the name of the series. Unless you know when the lens coatings were changed, 2004, you can't differentiate between them except by SN suffix being "M, N, P, R, S, or T" or by the part # on the box, if the box is available for inspection.

Jeff
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'm thinking that people that can't handle different nomenclature shouldn't be around firearms. With a .308 Winchester and .308 Norma magnum, how on earth could somebody possibly figure out what ammunition to buy?

Ya missed the point.

A VX-III and VX3 are sitting for sale on a table. You say, "I'll take the VX Three". What you just said means nothing. Nada. Zilch. Could be either one.

That ain't right! grin
I have it on good report that their next model will be called the Vari-X 3
That would make sense, wouldn't it! Sort of tie it all together. grin

Ya missed the point.

A VX-III and VX3 are sitting for sale on a table. You say, "I'll take the VX Three". What you just said means nothing. Nada. Zilch. Could be either one.

That ain't right! grin

Make up your mind and specify which one you want!!!!
Most, strike that, everything you say JO means nothing, nada, zilch.
Is the VX-three or the VX-three better??
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Most, strike that, everything you say JO means nothing, nada, zilch.

Your mean.
I'll take the VX - eye, eye, eye.

You, uhhhhhh, get a lot of headaches?
Yep it is stupid. I call the newest version the VX arabic numeral three.
Any bets regarding whether Jeff O is capable of procuring ammo for a 7mm Rem Express or a .244?
I have to agree it violates a basic rule of marketing - product identification should never be that hard -- I bought a VX-III after reading about the features of the VX-3. IF it hadn't been such a good deal (wonder why that price was reduced?) I'd have sent it back before I realized it probably didn't make a whole lot of practical difference whether it was the III or the 3.
The Three or the Three...duh...

And to think they missed a chance to make a whole new name.
crazy
VX-3000 ("Better because the name has more digits and a new box...")
or maybe
V-Rain-X ("Water repellent coated all over")
grin
NOW WITH black lens edges and twin blades!

Originally Posted by ironbender
I'll take the VX - eye, eye, eye.

laugh laugh laugh

Leupy's marketing nomenclature has become...well, just downright Loopy........

Casey
They make med's to help with that disability cool

Lefty C
At the last few gun shows, it was common to see used Vari-X II's labeled VX-II.

Ignorance, or...?

Bruce
They naming system becomes really confusion since 2-3 years ago. I hope they are listening to the complaint and will correct that
Do I agree that it was a poor idea to have both a VX-III and a VX-3? Yes, I do ...

Have I lost any brain time worrying about it in any way, shape or form? No, I have not ...
The less letters/numbers the newer the model. Logic. Hope you have a lawn mower.
Uh... lawn mower? Me no get. Explain joke/insult, por favor...
Old joke re: logic and not meant to be an insult. Didn't think many would get it, just having fun at the fire.
Jeffery,
Life isn't going to be easy for you..

Hope you never have to buy a Win. or Remington rife, are a new car!!! wow! they got all kinds of model numbers! smile
Doesn't bother me, I only discuss this stuff here and as long as I hit the keys right everybody knows what I'm talking about (even if I don't.)

Ya missed the point.

That ain't right! grin

No, you're right. As somebody who is fairly new to shooting that has confused me a bit when talking scopes. Hell now I don't even remember which 3, VX, III, Vari III I have. It is about twenty years old and a 2.5-8, but I'd have to go look for sure.
Originally Posted by atkinson
Jeffery,
Life isn't going to be easy for you..

Hope you never have to buy a Win. or Remington rife, are a new car!!! wow! they got all kinds of model numbers! smile

Ya also missed the point, Ray! smile

If Remington came out with a NEW rifle and called it the Model Seven Hundred, but it was different than a M700... see?
© 24hourcampfire