Home
Posted By: Shag Leupold FXII 6x36 or FX-3 6x42 - 01/23/11
For a lightweight mtn. rifle..

I've had both and my eyes like the 6X42 more better.

But there really wasn't a whole lot of flies on the 6X36 if you really wanted to save every possible ounce.

Travis
I went the other route.

I had a FX-III 6x42 on a Tikka 30-06 and a FX-II 6x36LR on a Tikka 270, both were good scopes but liked the 6x36 better and decided to trade the 6x42 to buy another 6x36.

Do a search and you will find a dozen threads debating the 6x36 vs 6x42. Pretty much a personal preference.
The weight difference is about 1.5 ounces if I recall correctly. If you're using Talley LW mounts the extra weight of the 6x42 shouldn't stop you from considering one for a light weight rifle. I agree that, between the two, it really is personal preference as to which is better.
I gave my 6x36 away. I have about a dozen 6x42's. Works for me.
And I sold one of my 6X42's to Calvin and happily replced it with a 6X36. Personal preference, plain and simple.
The weight difference, according to Leupold's latest specs, is a little over 3 ounces.
I prefer the 6x36... 9.5 oz's on my digital scale and plenty of FOV and eye relief. Also, the big 6mm exit pupil is plenty for my almost 50 year old eyes.

In fact, check out the FOV on the Leupold Website for both scopes...
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The weight difference, according to Leupold's latest specs, is a little over 3 ounces.

Thanks John, I'll have to stop relying on my memory crazy
Yeah, I was running 6x42's until the 6x36's got multi-coated. Now I'm going 6x36.

Oddly enough, the 6x36's were pretty bright scopes even when they were only single-coated. Back in the early 90's I compared one directly to the 6x32 Zeiss was making then, and the Leupold was brighter. It wasn't just me making the comparison, either.
bu..bu..bu..but, the Zeiss is European ... a Leupold just can't be any better or brighter...
I guess the older I get the heavier scopes get smile

I had old spec's showing the 6x36 was 9.9 oz and the 6x42 was 11.5...but now the internet says 10.0 and 13.6..
My comparisons were to a FX-II and FX-III what changes were made to the FX-3?
I'm 12.5oz with a M8 6x42 w/M1 turret. 12.3oz with a M8 6x42 w/ Elevation TT. 11.6oz for a FX-III 6x42, not turret.

That's what I have off rifles right now.
...with all this 6 power talk, I've pulled a German Zeiss 3x9 T* off my Steyr and have decided on Leupold's 6x42 in QR Warne rings as the way to go...!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I was running 6x42's until the 6x36's got multi-coated. Now I'm going 6x36.

Oddly enough, the 6x36's were pretty bright scopes even when they were only single-coated. Back in the early 90's I compared one directly to the 6x32 Zeiss was making then, and the Leupold was brighter. It wasn't just me making the comparison, either.

How is the "eye box" on the 6 x 36 compared to the 6 x 42???
When I got my new FX3, 6X42 I weighed it. 11 ozs. or so on my postal scale.
I prefer the FX3. Unlike the old FXIII, it's got super hard coatings and improved adjustment dials than the older FXIII.
I prefer the FX3 to the FXII, 6X36 because I insist on maximum night time performance and prefer the super hard coatings of the FX3. But, I certainly wouldn't sell an FXII, 6X36 if someone gave me one. Unlike almost everything out there in variables. E
E, I have tried looking thru scopes in the dark, you cannot see anything, not even the reticule!
FX3 6x42mm no doubt!

yes 6x42 optically better but out of place on a small rifle.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
How much better is the 6x42? Is it just a matter of larger objective, or are their other improvements, such as the diamond coat E talks about? I lean toward smaller scopes and JB's switching over to the 6x36 is just about proof enogh for me to go that way with my .257 build.

John
I can always see something with a 6X42, even on the darkest nights assuming I allow my night vision to kick in.
With age, many of us loose some of out night vision. E
I'd bet real money that the 6X36 would work on most nights, let alone in any twilight. And, frankly, I've got a few well used scopes that work fine to this day w/o super hard coatings. But, since I don't object to the larger objective or the added weight, and I insist on full nightime performance, I prefer the 6X42. E

They look like a "hubble" on short action rifles.
How many of us hunt AT night? Typically hunting hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. Either of the scopes will do fine where I hunt!
Surprised how many here haven't figured him out yet.
What I often do is hit the trail while it's still dark. If you've ever done much mountain hunting, you'd know that this is a common practice. Quite legal, BTW. Even here in Kalifornia.
What I insist on is a scope that will work if I run into something agressive while getting to my hunting area. E
Do you think I wait (or others wait) for sun up before heading out ?
if you shoot 'something aggressive' outside of legal light, it had better be close enough to 'point and shoot'. otherwise you'll probably be in some legal proceedings shortly thereafter.

ever use the scope in a hurry on an dark animal 10' away at night?
Originally Posted by RDFinn

They look like a "hubble" on short action rifles.

+1

but not as bad as guy I hunt with's VX-3L 3.5-10x56mm, the one with the notch cut out. That beast looks bigger than the rifle. smile
Dude, they make night vision riflescopes for a reason, you cannot shoot with a 6 x 42 Leupold when there is no light, that's dark you know before the sun comes up, overcast, no moon, no stars....if you can then paint a bright red S on your shirt. My Night vision is just fine, but I am not superman.
Doesn't smoking weed dilate your pupils ?
Tooooo Funny! Thanks for that! Smokin da Cheba..
That 6x42 Leupold illuminating total darkness story is the standard response to anyone saying they want a brighter scope than a Leupold. The childish mind deadening focus report comes out when someone says their XYZ scope is clearer...brighter...
Heck, I offered him a thousand bucks to produce a much cited optics report that I'm certain doesn't exist.......so far my monies safe.
Don't ya know that cats can see in total darkness too!!!!
You all know that darkness is the absence of light, right?
The 6x42 is so light I don't see a reason not to use one. The coatings and larger size (and are the 6x36 click adjustments?) would make me just feel better about my purchase.
Originally Posted by Eremicus
What I often do is hit the trail while it's still dark. If you've ever done much mountain hunting, you'd know that this is a common practice. Quite legal, BTW. Even here in Kalifornia.
What I insist on is a scope that will work if I run into something agressive while getting to my hunting area. E

Stupid post, are you worried about a cougar attack in the morning darkness? If so the fixed 6 is a worthless option at 10ft when that cat is making it's move.

Pretty sure most hunters travel in with their guns before shooting light, can't image you are in the minority here.
which is why I carry a 5 shot S&W and an unloaded rifle whilst traversing about "in the dark"!
6x36 for 2 reasons. 1st your rifle your putting it on and 2nd the 6x42 isnt worth the additional cost.
Originally Posted by gopokes77
6x36 for 2 reasons. 1st your rifle your putting it on and 2nd the 6x42 isnt worth the additional cost.

Different strokes. But absolute statements pertaining to everyone are mostly not true. Just cause you're too cheap to pay another $100 for a better scope doesn't mean everybody else is the same way.

+1

I figure if I'm going to spend $300 anyway, the difference between $400 and even $500 is immaterial when considered in light of the overall investment. If I want to save money, I'll buy M8 6x42's for $225 and M8 6x36's for $160. They sell for that money all the time in the classifieds.
....... and I insist on full nightime performance, I prefer the 6X42. E

That's funny right there.
You are going to have to explain to me why I can't shoot in self defense unless the animal or even a human being is so close I can "point and shoot."
Using a scope in a hurry at 10 feet is simply not necessary. At that range, I know from experience that I can effectively hip shoot.
I have used my 6X42 in the dark. I spotted a suspicious looking animal body form some 125-150 yds. out long before legal light a couple of seasons ago. Turned out to be a cow elk. Using the scope, I found a total of 26 animals in the open in front of me. They never knew I was there. E
That is pretty funny coming from a guy that can't tell the difference between an optic with a 5mm exit pupil and one with a 7mm exit pupil. Maybe you can't, but I can. E
I have used my 6X42 in the dark. E

If it was dark, what light did the scope transmit ? Once again a never ending source of entertainment. Thanks
That is pretty funny coming from a guy that can't tell the difference between an optic with a 5mm exit pupil and one with a 7mm exit pupil. Maybe you can't, but I can. E

The difference is 2mm. An example that I have and use, unlike you, are these two bino's in 6x30 and 7x50. Identical optical quality and a huge difference in low light which is something you fantasize about.

[Linked Image]
You are going to have to explain to me why I can't shoot in self defense unless the animal or even a human being is so close I can "point and shoot."
Using a scope in a hurry at 10 feet is simply not necessary. At that range, I know from experience that I can effectively hip shoot.
I have used my 6X42 in the dark. I spotted a suspicious looking animal body form some 125-150 yds. out long before legal light a couple of seasons ago. Turned out to be a cow elk. Using the scope, I found a total of 26 animals in the open in front of me. They never knew I was there. E

if the "something aggressive" is not close enough to hurt you and you shoot it, it is NOT self defense. you cannot just shoot stuff for looking scary or suspicious. you can not provoke the attack and lethal force has to be the last resort.
Originally Posted by '61'10
For a lightweight mtn. rifle..

I'll post pics soon of a Rem Ti 30-06 in route and destined to be scoped up with a 6x42 and a Rem Mountain Rifle .284 Win custom build also destined for a 6x42.

Hubble........here we come!

not the best pic, but here is my faux AK TI in .375 RUM with 6x36 CDS/LR dots. i did have my 6x42 on this rifle, but the crosshairs broke and i had to send it in. i prefer the 6x36 on it, because i'm trying to meet a weight limit. 6x42s are great scopes, but selecting optics is all about balancing the compromises, and size/weight are some compromises that can be tweaked

[Linked Image]
Is that a Williams bottom metal unit ? SS ?
it is a Badger Ordinance M4 in alloy
Originally Posted by toad
not the best pic, but here is my faux AK TI in .375 RUM with 6x36 CDS/LR dots. i did have my 6x42 on this rifle, but the crosshairs broke and i had to send it in. i prefer the 6x36 on it, because i'm trying to meet a weight limit. 6x42s are great scopes, but selecting optics is all about balancing the compromises, and size/weight are some compromises that can be tweaked

[Linked Image]

Am I correct in believing that is a Montana sling? If so, that must mean it does not weigh enough to compromise by putting a lighter sling on.
a better pic of the bottom metal. the stock does need inlet for it.

[Linked Image]

and yes, that ia a Montana sling. it weighs ~5 oz. with swivels. not a true lightweight, but neither is the rifle. i may have to look at slings to get sub-8# all up with this rig.
I only have a little experience with these scopes, well actually only the 6x36 so far which I mounted on a faux Ti 243. I do like it a lot so far. But, just last week I got my first 6x42 and it really is a heck of a nice scope.

I do have one question though for those that have the 6x42, do you have any issues trying to mount it and get proper ring spacing? It seems on the 6x42 although longer overall then the 6x36, the front bell on the 6x42 makes the scope tube kind of short?? What do you use on a long action - Talleys?
Looks sturdy. Been trying to find a Williams SS and it's damn near impossible. Sunny Hill makes a SS and a Alloy but they're pricy.
the B.O. unit is kinda pricy also, but it is a heavy duty unit, for alloy. B.O. also makes steel M4 metal, but i don't think SS is on the menu
Appreciate the info and I like that set-up too.
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
What do you use on a long action - Talleys?

Yes....and turn them whichever way you need to make it work.

Thank you - I ordered a set today here on the campfire and will give them a go.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
What do you use on a long action - Talleys?

Yes....and turn them whichever way you need to make it work.

Here's a pic of the new (to me) Ti in 30-06 with the FXIII 6x42. What could be more perfecter.....other than losing the wart....which I will do? 6-1/2 lbs as pictured.

[Linked Image]

That does look about perfect. I went ahead and ordered a set of the Talleys here on the campfire last week. Should have them shortly, then all will go on a KS 280 and if it looks like yours I'll be doing fine!!
Thank you for the picture.
You bet, muley. The 6x42 is so forgiving as far as eye relief and eye box. And those are Talley low's, by the way.

Have you thought about AI'ing your KS?? I just got an original KS stock and will send it to Pac-Nor (thanks to remfak's suggestion) to have Penny measure it for barrel fit. It will be a 280AI (also at remfak's suggestion) and will probably wear a M8 6x42 with MC4 that is currently at Leupold getting a good going over.

Well actually no, I don't really even hardly use my KS much since getting a 7mm08. It pretty much sits in the safe but figured it would look good with a 6x42. But have thought about trying out a PacNor in 25-06, PacNor is a easy drive from where I live and thought it might be fun to go see them sometime. Supposed to be nice folks to deal with.
I talked to Penny yesterday and Amy today.....at Pac-Nor. They are A-number-1 as far as I'm concerned. They wanted to make sure I got the twist rate I needed on a 358 Win barrel...and I actually changed it from a 14" twist to a 12" twist after they checked with their barrel-makers.

I sure wish I was within driving distance.....you're lucky!

And I sure can't say anything bad about the 25-06!

Yup, nice to have them and Leupold in my backyard, and now with McMillan having the KS stock again, thought about building a faux KS 25-06 and having PacNor match the KS countour, could be a fun build.
I like the 6x42 myself, never had any issue.
I'm running 6x42s on my 700s in 270Win and 35 Whelen. Can't think of a better option for those two rigs.
© 24hourcampfire