Home
Posted By: miguel How do Leupold VX-2's compare? - 02/04/12
I haven't had the opportunity to closely examine any of the new Leupold vx-2 riflescopes outside of a sporting goods store.I was wondering how the VX-2's compare to the older Vari-X II's and III's. I have several Vari-X III 1.5-5's, and love them, but how does the new VX-2 1-4x compare? The Vari-X III 2.5-8 has always been a favorite, but is the VX-2 2-7 comparable?
I have not been able to put my hands/eyes on one either, but have read everything I can find about the new model. They seem to have everything the VX-3 has EXCEPT the glass that allows for an exceptionally high amount of light transmission. I am not sure my trashy eyes will be able to tell the difference (got a botched catarac job.) It is likely the same difference as exists between the 6x36 and the 6x42. some see a difference, others do not. I need another scope and intend to try one in 3-9. jack
I could be wrong but I'd think the slight increase in magnification and objective lens size of the older Vari-X III 2.5-8x might still give it the edge.

I think a lot depends on the vision of the user. I've got an FXII 6x36 that to me seems at least as bright as my VX3 2.5-8x36. YMMV.
I needed some bullets yesterday. Went to the local gun store that charges from 5 to 15% above MSRP for everything and they told me that they and all the local stores had stopped stocking bullets as they could not compete with the on line merchants. Suggested CheaperThanDirt or Cabela's. Once I get to CTD it is only about another eight miles out to Cabela's.

Looked over the VX-2 LR duplex. Two observations: I don't think my eyes can discern the difference in light transmission/glass quality between it and the VX-3-maybe at dawn or dusk, but I will take Leupold's word for it. Plus, lots of folks see a difference between the 6X FX-II and FX-III. I am satisfied the difference exists. The other thing was that I was disappointed with the tiny dots on the LR option. I am not sure how valuable they would be to me in the field. I may have to become a dial twister, or just go with another Burris, Eye relief is not a big issue on the intended rifle. jack
Posted By: prm Re: How do Leupold VX-2's compare? - 02/05/12
A note regarding ballistic reticles (B&C or B-Plex) vs. a dial. I just picked up a VX-2 with the CDS and that duplex reticle is much easier to use once it starts to get dark than any of the ballistic reticles. I am able to dial in a range and use the main reticle to, or beyond, dusk. The small tic marks on the ballistic reticles disappear much earlier, especially against a dark background. That was not why I went with the VX-2, just turned out to be a nice additional benefit I noticed when comparing side by side.
If you're into taking LR shots at 400-500 yards or farther right at dusk, then you'll want to move up to the VX3/FX3 and use a turret.
I'm not really talking about the long range reticle models, or shooting long range at all. I'm more interested in clarity, especially in low light. These things are critical for a low powered optic, like a 1-4x or a 2-7x, when hunting dark timber early or late in the day.
Miguel, you may want to go to the next level, VX-3. FYI, Cabela's has a free retrofit coupon for the VX-2, 3, and 7 until sometime in April, also free shipping for on line buyers. I suspect you pay shipping to Leupold for the fit. Good luck, jack
What do you mean by retrofit coupon?
If you buy one of the scopes with CDS you get a 450 coupon for a free CDS dial from Leupold matched to your ballistics
Originally Posted by pacecars
If you buy one of the scopes with CDS you get a 450 coupon for a free CDS dial from Leupold matched to your ballistics

I believe you get 2 CDS dials free with any VX2, VX3, or VX6 that you buy after 1/1/12. There's not coupon that I'm aware of, you just call up Leupy, give them the serial # and load data, and they'll send you the dial in about 3 weeks. After 2 free ones, if you want another one, you pay about $60 for it. Not sure where you get the $450 coupon thing.
I think he meant a $50 coupon and missed the shift key on the $ sign.
As JG stated thats how it worked for me last year. Takes a while for Leupold to crank them out. I love mine !!!
Yep Missed a shift so to speak. Just going by Cabela's website
Do you know if the CDS dial will work on a scope with standard turrets?

I've got a couple I'd like to spin turrets on, and would buy a CDS or two if I could use the extra turrets on another scope.

Otherwise, will probably send in for an M1 - but I'm cheap enough to use the CDS and leave it uncalibrated and just use it like a lower profile M1.

Thanks,

DJ
No, you have to send them in to get the CDS installed. You can't simply use the CDS caps on the regular finger-adjustable turrets.

If you're going to send it in anyway, you might as well get an M1 wink grin
Very interested in a review of the new VX-2's. My new Montana NEEDS a 2-7 LR Duplex to replace the heavier Vortex Viper it's wearing.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
No, you have to send them in to get the CDS installed. You can't simply use the CDS caps on the regular finger-adjustable turrets.

If you're going to send it in anyway, you might as well get an M1 wink grin

That's sure what I'd do. I prefer the M1 by a fair margin, but might have tried a CDS if it came with 2 turrets so I could slap one on another scope. I'd use it like an M1 if I had one rather than going with the zero stop.

DJ
I spent some time with the new VX-2 scopes at SHOT. I did not like the new fast diopter adjustment. There's a lot of play in the threads and no locking ring. When I put a small pressure on the diopter ring, the point of aim shifted - a lot. I talked to a Leupold engineer, who acknowledged the issue and said, "the point of aim will come back when you stop pushing." "Customers want the fast diopter focus."

Not confidence inspiring. There is way too much play for my taste. What if the brim of your hat touches the diopter ring when you aim? What if you use a scopecoat to protect the scope, or your rifle case puts pressure on the diopter ring during transport? Will the thread grease flow and cause the diopter ring settle in a different position? What if...?
Excellent points Bruce! I actually really liked the old system. Get it right, lock it in place, forget about it. I was considering a new VX2 for one of my rifles, but I guess that could change...
I just received a new VX 2 4-12 AO and I don't see any problem with the new fast focus eyepiece. Mine does not seem to have any noticeable play in it. It's just mounted and boresighted at this point but it is clear and bright. First nice day, we'll see how it performs.
First nice day, we'll see how it performs

Let us know how it compares with other optics you have, even in low light.

By the way, welcome to the optics forum.
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I just received a new VX 2 4-12 AO and I don't see any problem with the new fast focus eyepiece. Mine does not seem to have any noticeable play in it. It's just mounted and boresighted at this point but it is clear and bright. First nice day, we'll see how it performs.

Maybe the SHOT show samples were engineering prototypes or more likely early production samples. Or they had seen a lot of wear and tear. Or Leupold changed the grease. Or...

I hope the scope works out fine for you.
I can't believe Leupold has not upgraded theeir web site yet.
I have never been a leupold fan, not sure why. I've owned several, just never liked them as much as others,

That being said, all my scopes of various brands have the fast focus feature and I have never had an issue with any of them.
To me - there are so many choices that it's confusing.

I need a Leupold matrix just to show the feature differences of the VX1 - VX2 - VX3 - VX6. Without that, I do not trust that there is realy any technological difference other than price points (I know, we can all look through them and form opinions).
Originally Posted by Wardman
I do not trust that there is realy any technological difference other than price points (I know, we can all look through them and form opinions).

I agree. I have had a chance to use various different Leupold models over the years, and they all appeared the same to me optically.
I have to agree.

Travis
I may be overly sensitive to it, but I have had more paralax problems with the VX II/2 series than with the VX III/3's.

I also notice the optics to be much improved lately with the new VX3 scopes.

Not sure this all matters shooting at game but I do notice these things at distance, at the range. That said, I have a 2-7 on a 270 that is a well behaved scope,and holds POI very well through the power range.They seem pretty durable.
I considered it a blessing that I cannot tell the difference between them. I can buy a new VX1, slap on an M1, and be just as happy as the guy that dropped twice the money on a VX3.
Posted By: prm Re: How do Leupold VX-2's compare? - 02/14/12
If there is a difference between a VX-2 and VX-3, it's something my eyes certainly can't recognize.
Originally Posted by prm
If there is a difference between a VX-2 and VX-3, it's something my eyes certainly can't recognize.

Must be my age... grin

Isn't all that unusual for folks to see differently through the same optics.
This isn't a knock against Leupold, but I cannot see a difference between the 1-2-3's. I can see a difference between my Kahles and Docter compared to Leupold though.
Well.........................sure!

I can understand that!
I remember when I bought my first VX3, I thought I had really arrived in the optics world. Then I shot it side by side with my VX1's, and felt like a sucker.
I have to laugh at those who believe the one and only important thing about a rifle scope is the quality of the image. Too funny. E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I may be overly sensitive to it, but I have had more paralax problems with the VX II/2 series than with the VX III/3's.

I also notice the optics to be much improved lately with the new VX3 scopes.

mmmmm....Bob,

Yes, the 2-7's (both Vari-X II's and VX-II's) do indeed seem hold POI very well--but they also appear to have more parralax than the 3-9's....at least for me.

And.....the first thing I did when I recently bought a new VX-3 2.5-8 was compare it to my late 80's/early 90's Vari-X III 2.5-8's. They all look good to me........either my eyes are getting old or I'll never make it as a optics snob.... cry

Casey
Posted By: prm Re: How do Leupold VX-2's compare? - 02/15/12
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I remember when I bought my first VX3, I thought I had really arrived in the optics world. Then I shot it side by side with my VX1's, and felt like a sucker.

I did the same with a VX3 and a FFII. Spent a serious amount of time trying to find a difference. Bright, dark, cloudy, close, far, nothing.
I stand by what I said.....VX 3 optics are better...at least to my eyes.
I've compared a couple of FFII scopes to my VX-3 6.5-20x40LR. VX-3 takes the win.

pisssssssh....... grin

Casey

Nobody can dispute that Bob grin

Of course,
My favorite scope to look through is the 3-9 or 3.5-10, but the demensions are too big for a lightweight rifle--or any S/A big game rifle IMO.

Casey

Posted By: prm Re: How do Leupold VX-2's compare? - 02/15/12

Noooo, you're wrong! Your eyes did not see the VX3 as better! grin
Originally Posted by prm

Noooo, you're wrong! Your eyes did not see the VX3 as better! grin

No, he just saw the VX-3 better........the other scopes were still in the gun case........ grin

Casey
I have to laugh at those who believe the one and only important thing about a rifle scope is the quality of the image. Too funny. E

If different scopes have the same features and track the same would you go with one that has better optics?
Originally Posted by Eremicus

This is the post of the week. You've spent years trying to convince everyone loopies were the optical equivalents of much pricier scopes, which of course, they aren't, then you turn around and post this little gem.

Not only are you loopyphile, you're a hypocrite.
I have 8 of the various 20 mm Leupolds and I'll be danged if by looking I can tell the difference between my VariX II's and III's than that of my VX I shotgun scopes. Optically they all appear the same.

Personally I'm VX'd out and Vari confused beyond the point of even trying to understand just what the Hades they are up to with all these changes? I guess the old saying that a "fool and his gold are soon parted" plays really big in the optics industry.

I have a Bushnell Banner 1.75-4x32mm shotgun scope with 6" of eye relief that I really enjoy using just as much as the Leupy's. OK Glass, Good eye relief, quick focus ocular bell, circleX reticle for quick target acquisition.
I can definitely tell the difference between the Vari-XII, VXII, FXIII, and VXIII, and the FX3 and VX3...
Who is luckier, Jordan Smith or Chainsaw?
Probably Chainsaw, financially speaking. But maybe I'm luckier, practically speaking, if my eyes can take advantage of the enhanced optical quality? grin
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I can definitely tell the difference between the Vari-XII, VXII, FXIII, and VXIII, and the FX3 and VX3...

Jordan probably an age thing. I'm at the point where I can't hardly remember all those Roman Numerals anymore much less try to tell the difference optically. I guess my homework assignment is to study up on what a FX3 and VX3 actually are. laugh I suppose if I ever get my chit together I'll forget where I put it.......
It isn't age...

I can see a difference between my Meoptas, Kahles, and Docters compared to Leupold. That is what really turned me off of Leupold. Thinking about finally buying another Loopy, just because I want a lightweight scope with a turret. I can live with less resolution etc, to gain the other features I need.
You guys must have much better eyes than I've got, even though at age 51 I've never worn glasses a day in my life except to read small print. If I'm trying to read business cards at 100 yds I may need expensive glass. For big game hunting anything from an FFII, VX2, Elite, Monarch on up does the trick, out to and past legal shooting.
^Yessir, but those all have better glass than the VXI, Rifleman, Vari-X series, etc wink
Maybe not better than a late Vari-X III.
I believe they are. The Vari-XIIIc is a good scope, but not as bright or clear as the ones listed above, IME.
There isn't a Vari-X IIIc, there is a Vari-X IIc.
I'm referring to the ones manufactured after they introduced MC4. I thought they were called Vari-X IIIc, but whatever you want to call them, those are the once I was talking about.
I certainly wouldn't waste good money on a Rifleman or a VXI. I had a Vari X III on a Ruger 7mag forever and killed lots of stuff at dusk thirty.
A VXI is just a renamed old Vari-X-II, and the brand new model is even better, with new coatings and click adjustments. The Vari-X-II was no slouch.

Leupold has, right on their site, 2 free CDS dials with the purchase of a CDS scope.

You can certainly speak for yourself, but hunting and shooting here in the NW on a dark evening or early morning there is a very distinct difference between the VX3 compared to the VX2 or VX1.

The VX3 has far better glass.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
I certainly wouldn't waste good money on a Rifleman or a VXI. I had a Vari X III on a Ruger 7mag forever and killed lots of stuff at dusk thirty.

JG,
The VX-I is the previous Vari-X II's. The latest VX-1's are the previous VX-II. The new VX-1's even have the click adjustments now.

In other words, the VX-II's--street price of $299, have become the VX-1's, with a street price of $230.

In my opinion (based on a sample of one VX-1 3-9), the VX-1's are a heck'uva bang for the buck.

My serious (lightweight) huntin' rifles all have 2.5-8's on them. And my 55 year old eyes have to work at it to find much diff between my vari-X III's, VX-III, and VX-3.
Maybe other magnifications have more discernable differences.....

Casey
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by JGRaider

JG,
The VX-I is the previous Vari-X II's. The latest VX-1's are the previous VX-II. The new VX-1's even have the click adjustments now.

In other words, the VX-II's--street price of $299, have become the VX-1's, with a street price of $230.

That is my understanding as well. Hell, I have made shots right at dark with an older 1992 Vari-x-II. Certainly the brand new VX-1's with MC-4 coatings are better. I just ordered one. Going to send it in for an M1. On this particular gun, weight was the deciding factor. My favorite scopes I own are my Docters, but they are 19oz, so not really a good fit on a mtn type rifle.
Here's a link I found on Leupold's website explaining the differences in scope lines.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/resources/faq/#WhatAreTheMajor

Granted, based on the info already posted, looks like things changed for 2012 and Leupold still hasn't updated their website.
The Meopta, Kahles, and Doctor surely should be better, as they sell for two plus times to three plus times more than a new VX-2
retails for. No deep discounts, but I have a shop where I usually get at least enough discount to cover the tax. jack
© 24hourcampfire