Home
Posted By: STA 1/10th mil click? - 06/20/12
Is 1/10th mil click 3/8 of a inch at 100yds? Thanks...
Posted By: mathman Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/20/12
.36" at 100 yards.
Posted By: STA Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/20/12
I'm thinking about a mil/mil scope.
Posted By: mathman Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/20/12
Just forget about inches and work in mils.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/20/12
I thought this was VERY helpful.....
[Linked Image]
Mathman, and Nebraska thank you two for the help! That chart is the berries!!! cool
This is the scope I'm thinking about...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte
Posted By: Pete E Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/21/12
Originally Posted by mathman
Just forget about inches and work in mils.

Yep, lots of wisdom in that advice. Use a balistic Calculator to out a drop table in Mils (not inches) for the various distances your liable to shoot, confirm the drops by shooting and then forget inches all together.

If a person really can't let go of inches, they are probably better getting a scope with MOA turrets and MOA dot reticle..
Posted By: Pete E Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/21/12
Originally Posted by STA

Be aware, the reticle in that scope is in the second focal place, so the Mils on the reticle are only "true" at x15..If you really want to reap the benifits of going Mil/Mil (or MOA&MOA) get a scope with the reticle in the first focal plane as the measurements on the reticle hold true at all powers not just x15..

If you look at the original Vortex Viper scope, it was available as a First Focal Plane scope, and that along with the Mil/Mil set up, was its biggest selling point to the Tactical and long range shooting crowd. It is significantly more expensive though..
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/21/12
The beauty of this scope is the feature set for the price. It is second focal plane and also a 'wire' reticle, but it's Mil/Mil side focus zero stop 44mm tacticool all the way. They're very well reviewed. Been waiting since early May and hope I like it... Might have to buy a rifle to put on.
Posted By: KDK Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/21/12
Originally Posted by oregontripper
The beauty of this scope is the feature set for the price. It is second focal plane and also a 'wire' reticle, but it's Mil/Mil side focus zero stop 44mm tacticool all the way. They're very well reviewed. Been waiting since early May and hope I like it... Might have to buy a rifle to put on.

That's where I'm at. Thinking I might need some sort of tacticool Remington .308. Maybe a 700 LTR?
Posted By: mathman Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/21/12
That's where I'm at. Thinking I might need some sort of tacticool Remington .308. Maybe a 700 LTR?

That's a good one if you want a shorty. I have its upscale twin, an XCR Compact Tactical, and it's a lot of fun. For a full size rifle, consider a 5R MilSpec.
Posted By: KDK Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/21/12
That's a thought, too, mathman. I kinda wanted to try a shorty, just to see if I hate them as much as I think I will... LOL
Posted By: Eremicus Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/21/12
If you do get the scope, you need to verify the accuracy of the reticle at a given magnification. You may find you may have to set the magnification slightly lower or even higher to get true readings.
I was surprised to realize that CM adjustments are very close to MIL adjustments. A CM being .39 inches. E
Posted By: mathman Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by Eremicus

I was surprised to realize that CM adjustments are very close to MIL adjustments. A CM being .39 inches. E

It's no surprise since a centimeter at 100 meters distance corresponds exactly to one tenth milliradian.
Posted By: KDK Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/22/12
Funny how that metric system works, huh?
Posted By: mathman Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/22/12
It's not really the centimeters/meters as much as it's the use of radian measure for the angle.
Posted By: Poodleshooter Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by Pete E

Be aware, the reticle in that scope is in the second focal place, so the Mils on the reticle are only "true" at x15.

While this is certainly true, one thing I've seldom seen is a report from FFP owners as to how often they've mil ranged a target at a magnification other than the maximum (which is usually the "mil" setting on most SFP scopes).
Personally, if a target is past the point at which I'd bother to mil it, I'm maxing out the magnification on any scope topping out under 20x, as FOV will be plenty big at those ranges anyway.
My point is that I suspect that that facet of FFP mil dot scopes is a seldom used advantage, with the comparatively steep opportunity cost of a small, thin subtension of the reticle at low power.

Posted By: Trevor60 Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/25/12
Thank Jay P for the break down

MOA & Mils (Angular units of measure)

Mils (Milradians)
6283 Mils = 1 Circle
17.5 Mils = 1 degree
1 Mil = 3.438 MOA
1 Mil = 3.6 inches at 100 yards
1 Mil = 100mm at 100 meters
1 Mil = 1 meter at 1000 meters
1 Mil = 3.937 inches at 100 meters

Minute of Angle
1 MOA = 1/60th of a degree
21600 MOA = 1 circle
1 MOA = 1 inch at 95.5 yards
1 MOA = 1.047 inches at 100 yards
1 MOA = 1.145 inches at 100 meters
1 MOA = 11.45 inches at 1000 meters

Field Use (Corrections)
1 Mil = 3.5 MOA
1 Mil = 4" at 100 m
1 MOA = 1 inch at 100 m

Posted By: sscoyote Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter

Be aware, the reticle in that scope is in the second focal place, so the Mils on the reticle are only "true" at x15.

While this is certainly true, one thing I've seldom seen is a report from FFP owners as to how often they've mil ranged a target at a magnification other than the maximum (which is usually the "mil" setting on most SFP scopes).
Personally, if a target is past the point at which I'd bother to mil it, I'm maxing out the magnification on any scope topping out under 20x, as FOV will be plenty big at those ranges anyway.
My point is that I suspect that that facet of FFP mil dot scopes is a seldom used advantage, with the comparatively steep opportunity cost of a small, thin subtension of the reticle at low power.

[/quote]

That concept right there is way bigger than mil-ranging at the correct milliradian magnification, since the "mil-ranging formula" is not specific to the MR subtension, and can be used with any MR scope at any magnification and really any 2 points at any distance relative to any 2 points at any other distance, from mil-dot to simple plex to Ballistic Plex to archery sight pins, as is described right here in these 2 Utubes--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNvJKBOpj08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEhoNaRi2s

Posted By: Formidilosus Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/25/12

Ranging isn't the big gig. Ranging with the reticle on live targets is only going to be a ball park figure and only at relatively close ranges.

The real benefit to FFP is that you can utilize the reticle for drop/wind at any power and spot your own corrections at any power. IE it doesn't matter what power the scope is at if you see the round land 1.3mil left say, you just hold/dial exactly what you see.
Posted By: Pete E Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/25/12
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

The real benefit to FFP is that you can utilize the reticle for drop/wind at any power and spot your own corrections at any power. IE it doesn't matter what power the scope is at if you see the round land 1.3mil left say, you just hold/dial exactly what you see.

My thoughts exactly..FFP makes corrections at unknown ranges far easier, especially if working with a partner acting as a "spotter"...

Posted By: mclevela Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/25/12

I disagree with your statement, I run a couple S&B's 3 to 12 magnification with FFP on hunting rifles.
I have references taped to the stock that reference range distance based on mils at the target. Example mature whitetail buck is 18" brisket to withers, paste the mil reticle to target & range.
I do not have to worry about what magnification my scope is set on for a quick ranging reference, I do not find the reticle unusable at the lower mag.

The SFP scopes can be used to range at powers other than max you just have to know what magnification you are on and verify that it is accurate at that power.

The main thing with any of these optics with some sort of ranging reticle is that the turrets match the reticle, IE mil\mil or moa\moa.
Posted By: MojoHand Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/26/12
STA,

Are you set on a variable? These fixed are pretty nice. I have the older 10x MIL reticle/MOA turrets on my 5R Milspec and am going to 'upgrade' to the new MIL/MIL reticle design possibly in 12x or 16x (maybe 20X, this isn't a close range rifle). You can also get a side adjust parallax model. They're shorter and lighter than the Viper.

The Viper is sweet though, had one of the PSTs on order when they were coming out, but took so long to come in hunting season forced a different choice. Still like the PST but the SWFA SS scopes are hard to beat for price. And I'm always at the 'right' mag for ranging! grin

Posted By: Nebraska Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/26/12
FWIW - I picked up a Weaver 3-10x40mm mil-dot for $299 at Midway and thought it was one of the better deals out there for a mil-mil optic.

Weaver 1/10th mil

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Poodleshooter Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/26/12
Originally Posted by mclevela
I disagree with your statement, I run a couple S&B's 3 to 12 magnification with FFP on hunting rifles.
I have references taped to the stock that reference range distance based on mils at the target. Example mature whitetail buck is 18" brisket to withers, paste the mil reticle to target & range.
I do not have to worry about what magnification my scope is set on for a quick ranging reference, I do not find the reticle unusable at the lower mag.

The SFP scopes can be used to range at powers other than max you just have to know what magnification you are on and verify that it is accurate at that power.

Interesting-so you guys are saying that with a hypothetical 3-12x scope for example, you actually use the intermediate magnifications (4x-11x)at distances when ranging or adjusting drop might be necessary (which I consider to be beyond about 250yds)?
For me, the FFP advantage is moot. If it's far enough away that I have to range or adjust with turrets, I'm on maximum power anyway. At those distances, FOV is HUGE, so picking up a target is easy even at max magnification.

Posted By: treedreddeer Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/26/12
I think the FFP really shines over the SFP where you are shooting at multiple targets at multiple ranges and using hold overs instead of twisting turrets.

Another time that FFP works better is on higher power scopes where you end up having to turn them down because of mirage. However a SFP will still worked it you have mapped your reticle to where you know what your sub tensions are at different powers. Also keep in mind that just because the scope says 12x that may be 12.5 or 11.5 or ... so you have to do a little leg work to know exactly where to set your power ring
Example on a 6-24: 1 mil equals
1mil@24x
2mils@12X
4mils@6x
Posted By: Pete E Re: 1/10th mil click? - 06/26/12
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Are you set on a variable? These fixed are pretty nice. I have the older 10x MIL reticle/MOA turrets on my 5R Milspec and am going to 'upgrade' to the new MIL/MIL reticle design possibly in 12x or 16x (maybe 20X, this isn't a close range rifle). You can also get a side adjust parallax model. They're shorter and lighter than the Viper.

The Viper is sweet though, had one of the PSTs on order when they were coming out, but took so long to come in hunting season forced a different choice. Still like the PST but the SWFA SS scopes are hard to beat for price. And I'm always at the 'right' mag for ranging! grin

I have just ordered the new version of the Falcon Menace..Its 4-14x44, FFP, Mil/Mil and an illuminated reticule.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It will go on my .22LR CZ452 Varmint to replace a 7x50mm Meopta. The idea is that it will approximate my 4-16x50 S&B PM11 on my .308win..Plus I am hoping it will be death on long range bunnies! grin

The Falcon Menace has had mixed reviews for reliability in the past, but by all accounts they have improved over the years. At around $400, its about half the price of the Vortex PST, comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty and the company that is behind them is relatively local to me here in the UK, so I figured I would give them a try..

Regards,

Peter
© 24hourcampfire