Home
I've never had one do it until now... I was out shooting at the 5, and suddenly my schit just started walking all over the place. Left, right, left, low. The first 3 went about 3.5", and it went downhill from there.

what do I do?! I leave tomorrow for college, and I need to either get this thing fixed or get another scope. Help me out with the Leupold Address so I can send it off maybe?

I'd sell it to one of you fellers if you want it, just send it in for repair and I'll put the $ towards something else... this sucks!
Leupold & Stevens, Inc.
P.O. box 688
Beaverton, OR 97075-0688

Send a note saying what happened, with your contact info.
Telephone
1-800-Leupold
1-800-538-7653

Shipping Address
Leupold & Stevens
14400 NW Greenbrier Parkway
Beaverton, OR 97006-5790

Tanner Just include a letter stating the problem as well as your contact info.

What model scope is it?
805's addy if you go UPS, mine if you send Post Office cool.
Vari X III 3.5-10 Tactical. Thanks guys.
I'm half tempted to trip it and buy an SWFA 6x42 or 10x for my Montana...
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'm half tempted to trip it and buy an SWFA 6x42 or 10x for my Montana...

Good god.....come on man! Fix that Vari-X Tact. Its got mojo and theyre hard to find.

Besides leupold will probably fix it for free.
Just kinda' sucks, I'm always saying how it hadn't happened to me yet! The real bummer is that I don't have time to mess with it.
I'd trip it and buy a Mark AR 3-9x40..... I've had a few of the Vari-X Tacs.... both 3.5-10 and 4.5-14.... I think the Mark AR is a better scope and the 1/2" clicks are the schitt. There's a couple in the classifieds now.... I paid less than $250 for the last three of them I bought.
In regards to the SS scopes: I personally wouldn't want a 20-21 ounce boat anchor hanging off the top of a Kimber, but as always, YMMV.
The SWFAs are good solid scopes.... but they weigh a ton.... and it would be a serious muffin top on that sexy little Kimber....
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I'd trip it and buy a Mark AR 3-9x40..... I've had a few of the Vari-X Tacs.... both 3.5-10 and 4.5-14.... I think the Mark AR is a better scope and the 1/2" clicks are the schitt. There's a couple in the classifieds now.... I paid less than $250 for the last three of them I bought.
You don't find yourself wanting a bit more precision in the adjustment department with the 1/2" clicks?
www.nightforcescopes.com
Originally Posted by 300MAG

laugh Let me just see what kidneys are going for on the market...
What the hell - you only need one kidney................
Leupold will fix it and they will fix it quickly. You have a good scope with a lifetime warranty. Let them make it right.
You don't find yourself wanting a bit more precision in the adjustment department with the 1/2" clicks?

Nope.... not at all. In fact I don't notice any difference in the field. If I miss by 1/4 moa high or low, nothing I shoot at will know the difference. Furthermore, 1/10 mil clicks are all the rage with the tac guys and they're 1/3". I also think the Mark II/ Mark AR erector assemblies and turrets seem more solid than the factory 'target' turret assembly.... but that's just me.
Mark AR erector assembly/turret.....

[Linked Image]

side....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 300MAG

Yeah like they are light! grin
On its way back to Loopie!
Will you get a break before huntin season?

I'm sure they'll get it fixed and quick but if not I've got a spare 6x42 with a turret I can let you use if need be.
Yeah, I should at least get a chance to put it back on and zero it. I'll let you know if I need to borrow one, but I've got an extra Burris with a turret too. Thanks man!
Tanner I bet within 10 days that you will have that scope back in your hands. Leupold is great and will take care of you bud!
My parents will have it back I'm sure... laugh I won't see it for a while, but I think you're right, they'll get it sorted out!

Might have to go make sure the 280 is zeroed, just in case... laugh
Leupold will sort it out, just hope your not hunting the next time it craps out.
Tanner,

I've had trouble with very few Leupolds, but after those came back from Leupold I never had any more trouble with them.
JB, I'm hoping that'll be my luck! I'm a Loopy lover and that scope is bad to the bone, so I've got high hopes.
Good choice, bud. I was thinking that a SS on that Montana would be akin to a sheep hunter strapping a 5gal jug of water on the top of his pack wink
And carrying a optical coincidental range finder (or whatever they're called :D)

You're right though! Looking at the 10x sitting on my bench compared to my Montana, it's about half the weight and half the length.. grin. Though the 6x was smaller but then I looked at their website.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've had trouble with very few Leupolds, but after those came back from Leupold I never had any more trouble with them.

I'll play Devil's Advocate.....

I sent one back twice and it still wasn't right....someone else is now the proud owner..... whistle

Nope.... not at all. In fact I don't notice any difference in the field. If I miss by 1/4 moa high or low, nothing I shoot at will know the difference. Furthermore, 1/10 mil clicks are all the rage with the tac guys and they're 1/3". I also think the Mark II/ Mark AR erector assemblies and turrets seem more solid than the factory 'target' turret assembly.... but that's just me.

The best way to think of it is not 1/3" for a .1 mRad, rather 1/1000th of whatever distance you're shooting. If shooting 1000 yards, each click is .1 yard or 3.6". That's the beauty of mil-rads. No conversions.

You're right about one thing, the average person can't shoot .25 MOA in the field, so the difference between .5 MOA and .25 MOA knobs is not important.

To the OP:

Glad you're getting it taken care of. That scope should do you well for years to come!
You mean 1/10,000th wink grin
aalf,

What was the particular problem?
Betting canted reticle...
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What was the particular problem?

You could click the scope 3, sometimes 4 clicks, before it would move. Then it would finally move a click, or may move the whole 3 or 4. When I got it back the second time, it would still not move reliably, so down the road it went. Makes little difference as to the model, but it was a Vari-X III 6.5-20x40 AO target duplex mounted on a very accurate 700 varmint gun.
I've never had one do it until now... I was out shooting at the 5, and suddenly my schit just started walking all over the place. Left, right, left, low. The first 3 went about 3.5", and it went downhill from there.

what do I do?! I leave tomorrow for college, and I need to either get this thing fixed or get another scope. ... this sucks!

Im not even going to say anything.....

dave
Thanks Dave. As soon as I have an extra $2500, I'll probably spend it on a trip to AK, and not a S&B.
Tanner
Tanner
Tanner
Tanner

:::shaking head:::
(not over the loopy - I woulda sent it in too - shaking head on putting your first $3200.00 [they went up] in the wrong place)

Tanner

A picture is worth...............well you know the rest..

[Linked Image]
I've never had one do it until now...... this sucks!

Tanner: Count your lucky stars it happened at the range,likely because you actually shoot rifles and that's how it's supposed to work....So, it doesn't suck that bad.When it happens on a hunt,then it really "sucks".

Variable? What a surprise!

Repeat after me......"fixed power,fixed power".Break a few more,this will sink in.
If it takes another dump on me, it'll be a 6x42 forever.
Tanner I never had scope problems until I started running variables....you'd think I'd learn by now.I'm about half way there. grin
I'll figure it out someday, maybe laugh
If you need to borrow one until you get yours back,send me a PM.I have an extra 3.5-10 and a 6x42

They're not immune either......I've sent in one.....
Took 18 working days to fix mine, not bad!
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
...be akin to a sheep hunter strapping a 5gal jug of water on the top of his pack wink
Hey, I resemble that comment, but it was only 3 gallons! Seriously. There was no water where we were bivying. The river was only 1/4 mile away, but 2800' lower. Here's a shot from camp. River's at the base of the mountains in the background.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the offers guys, some really great people here. I think it should be back before I am, and if something else happens I've got a spare.
Tanner if you must go 6X42 with M1 Elev. And dont look back.

S&B....just like a ferrari I dont think I could ever justify one....
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Tanner if you must go 6X42 with M1 Elev. And dont look back.

S&B....just like a ferrari I dont think I could ever justify one....

Neither could I....until I used one. frown
Ferraris are cool,except it cost my butler his job after running into it with the Rolls.....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1478331/1

dave
Never had any issues with Leupolds up goat mountains, in and out of skiffs, ridding hundreds of miles in ATV's, a few float planes and 180" of rain a year.

How about you Dave?
Originally Posted by dave7mm

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1478331/1

dave

[Linked Image]
How many of you guys felt like yawning when you saw the photo?
Originally Posted by rifle
Ferraris are cool,except it cost my butler his job after running into it with the Rolls.....

Sitting here laughing at that one! grin
Hard to find good help these days.
Laffin' again....you guys are stand-up comics. Poor Tanner's got a busted scope and we're making jokes!

Nice guys, huh?
Tough crowd.
I know....I'm gonna go look at Vince's knives! grin
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Laffin' again....you guys are stand-up comics. Poor Tanner's got a busted scope and we're making jokes!

Nice guys, huh?
NO,I am covered,
I offered to loan him a scope....
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I know....I'm gonna go look at Vince's knives! grin

That guy has cost me money along with a new form of OCD. All kidding aside, he is a great guy to deal with and knows his stuff about all things sharp.
Vince is the best in the Classifieds!

Rifle, if Tanner does not take the scope, you can send it here... grin
I had a 2.5X loopy compact take a dump, the stadia wire on the wide duplex broke. I just sent it to Oregon and asked for a heavy duplex, which i should have gotten to begin with, we'll see what happens.......
I dropped off two 6x42 for hazy/cloudy internal lenses.

So far Leupold has struck out...

1. Left the factory with crud on the internal lenses. How these made it past QC is beyond me.
2. First attempt by Leupold to fix = failed.
3. Next attempt to fix = failed.
4. Just the other day I showed the problem to 2 more techs, this being the 3rd time returning the scopes. They said that the problem was likely due to the fact that the objective lenses are an assembly and the residue is inside the assembly.

I also got M1 elevation turrets added and really like the 6x42 but its a little discouraging that these scopes left the factory in the first place. And the film/residue is visible to the naked eye so no excuses for not getting them fixed the first time.

Not feeling much confidence in Leupold, but willing to give them one last shot only because I can't find another 6x I like as well. The last two techs I met really did understand the problem and hopefully we'll get this fixed.

S&B is getting up there in Hensoldt $$$$ territory. S&B is good...but not that good.
I like the scope plenty and will use it as long as it works. When I decide to get a S&B, I'll sell my truck and PM Dave.
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
S&B is getting up there in Hensoldt $$$$ territory. S&B is good...but not that good.

Yes it is, I own both. They don't break either.
Tanner,

The correct answer is to hang a 30 ounce piece of schit off the top of your Kimber, making it balance really nicely and not be in the least big awkward.

Anything other than a S&B is worthless, and will break as soon as you tighten down the mounts.

Now that you are making all this money in college and have so much disposable income for ridiculously expensive scopes, maybe you can afford to have a gunbearer pack around your needlessly heavy rifle.

If I've missed anything else from this thread, please let me know.

Yours Truly,
Billy

I own both as well, and the S&B's image doesn't quite "pop" out like the Hensoldt does.
Schit, I'll just drop out and use my tuition $$ to put Hennys on all my light rifles! laugh
Schit, I'll just drop out and use my tuition $$ to put Hennys on all my light rifles! laugh

....uh...no

Finish your degree, and when the economy collapses fill the back of a dump truck full of worthless currency and go buy your first Hensoldt; prolly not a penny over 2.5 Million.
I like the scope plenty and will use it as long as it works. When I decide to get a S&B, I'll sell my truck and PM Dave.

Any time I can be of help.
Just ask.

dave
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I dropped off two 6x42 for hazy/cloudy internal lenses.

So far Leupold has struck out...

1. Left the factory with crud on the internal lenses. How these made it past QC is beyond me.
2. First attempt by Leupold to fix = failed.
3. Next attempt to fix = failed.
4. Just the other day I showed the problem to 2 more techs, this being the 3rd time returning the scopes. They said that the problem was likely due to the fact that the objective lenses are an assembly and the residue is inside the assembly.

I also got M1 elevation turrets added and really like the 6x42 but its a little discouraging that these scopes left the factory in the first place. And the film/residue is visible to the naked eye so no excuses for not getting them fixed the first time.

Not feeling much confidence in Leupold, but willing to give them one last shot only because I can't find another 6x I like as well. The last two techs I met really did understand the problem and hopefully we'll get this fixed.

Seems like i've heard that before.
In fact i've heard it so often that......
[Linked Image]

dave
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Anything other than a S&B is worthless.
Yours Truly,
Billy

+1
Now your getten it.

dave

I'm sure s&b is good glass. I've used one once or twice shootin with a friend. It seemed great other than the reticle I hated..looked like somethin you'd find in the bat mobile. Lines and crap everywhere.

That said tryin to give a sales pitch for s&b to a first year college student is beyond dumbazz......now tell him his truck is a pos and he needs a Lexus
i'll bet more game in the U.S. has been kilt with leupold scopes than all other brands combined
Leupold failures? So common it is no secret at all. Most people that actually shoot rifles a lot as in benchrest will not be quiet on this subject of Leupold failures. It always comes down to the same old thing that Leupold refuses to address. Spring failure on the erector tube. That's why Cecil Tucker has been doing a spring up grade for years. I'm sure for anyone that has ever seen a Nightforce scope and wondered what that spring housing on the scope was for, now has and answer.

I was a long time advocate of Leupold since the early 70's. I no long recommend them to anybody. I had one conk out on me on a Yukon river hunt. I still have a goodly number of these Leupold scopes, they are slowly getting sold or traded off.

I don't want to hear anybodies BS about how clear they are. I don't care, if a scope lags after the adjustment or does not hold zero, you can put it where the sun don't shine. There is only one scope out there I have full faith in nowadays and that is Sightron. S&B is so highly priced I no longer recommend, great scope but when they exceed the price of the rifle, they leave most people out in the cold.

"Sightron IS THE ONLY SCOPE THAT HAS LICKED THE ERECTOR TUBE PROBLEM"

I could careless what your opinions are about the scopes on your closet Queens, Go to the range and try to square a target. If you have a Leupold that will square the target, you are past lucky.

The only Leupold you can trust are the modified Tucker scopes. This also screws your warranty.

JUST WAIT TILL YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE SCOPES FAIL ON YOU ON A HUNT OR AT A MATCH.

3sixbits

dave
Dave,

The problem with the 6x42 from S&B is the eye relief... 3.14". Not enough for my lightweight 300 Win Mag that kicks like a mule. Not sure the S&B is up to par optically with the Kahles CL I was using either.

So, S&B doesn't do me any good with their 6x42.

Do you work for S&B? What's the logic with the short eye relief? I'd welcome some feedback on this from someone that works for them.

J

Amazing......an adolescent fray's a gina string and views go to 1000's in hours. Katy Perry stuff grin
4th_point
I do not work for them.
But have used them for a very long time.
The short eye relief on the fixed scopes is a hold over from days gone by. ...At one time all S&Bs,variables and fixed, had 3.14 eye relief.
Around 1999/2000 they developed a larger rear ocular and bumped eye relief up to 3.75 ..where it is today.
This took forever for them to get done.
Back in that time frame,when they first came out, they called there hunting scopes, "dangerous game scopes" on models so equipped.Eventually all variables got converted to the longer eye relief and the fixed never did.
Its pretty much that simple.
S&B had to be "talked" into it. You have to understand.They use a heads up type of shooting style and they hunt at night.That short eye relief works rather well [bleep] around in the dark, provided your not running a cannon.They actually think short eye relief is better.There a Euro company of squareheads.They dont think, hunt, or work like we do.They really dont understand the american market very well.They only make one product.Rifle scopes.There actually pretty small compared to Zeiss and Swaro.
The one campfire myth I see all the time on here is that.Fixed power scopes hold up better than variables.
I think thats a pretty true statment as long as your talking about leupold.
You can talk to Bob about usuing A S&B.And the then going back and usuing something else.There build quality is off the chart.

dave.
I'm no optics expert, but the S&B Summit is the best variable scope I have ever owned.I'm glad I bought mine before the price spiked to 2 grand.There are no eye relief issues.It'll go on a 300 mag or 375H&H with no problem.These scopes are heirloom quality,but expensive.Optically the only thing close is a Kahles.

I trust Leupold fixed power scopes;I have two rifles with leupold variables that are well behaved,so far.But they aren't on rifles that get shot a lot or kick much.I only check zero annually and go hunting.These rifles are known commodities and trustworthy...And I don't spin turrets.

If I were Tanner, I'd get a 6X Leupold.Well suited for his country and hunting,tough,and affordable.

Just a side note; a pal walks the line at registered shoots back here to see what scopes guys are running.These match people shoot a lot more than any 10 hunters,and get pissed off over gear failure and dropped shots.It is all Nightforce and some Sightrons.

I know hunters needs are different sometimes from target/match shooters,and we want "light weight" and balance,and affordable.For hunters that also shoot a lot(a couple thousand rounds a year?) I'd go fixed power.I'll take mechanical reliability over optical perfection any day of the week.

In my 1000 yard matches I see alot of nightforce. I just bought one myself.At Ridgway its Nightforce,Sightron,And Leupold in that order.
And your right Bob.We shoot alot.I've logged 906 rounds on my Obermeyer barrel since last sept.
For a young guy like tanner and all that runnen and jumpen.
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

I'd get off the loopie tread mill before I got stuck someplace in the middle of nowhere with a dead scope.
He was actually luckey his took a crap at home.

dave
I guess other scopes just don't break
Tanner is that scope w/Turrets?

I'd look hard at a 6x36 or 6x33 w/CDS for a Kimber. The size/weight would IMHO be a better fit, though if you love variables, nothing wrong w/a VX2 2-7 or a VX3 2.5-8, both also fairly light/compact, preserving rifle balance.

Alot of choices are no doubt well made, Conquest and S&B, the latter no doubt out of reach for many wallets.

Keep us posted.
It does indeed have the Target turrets, which I really enjoy. I'd love to grab a 3-9 Conquest with target turrets, but I'm unsure if such a thing exists.
Regarding fixed vs variable, most of my scopes are variable Vari X IIIs. Roughly 10 years ago I decided to try the ever popular fixed 6. It was the first Leup that failed me. Within a year something inside broke. When shook the scope sounded like a rattler. The blow came from a 7lb all up 338-06.
dave & bob,

Thanks for the S&B info and feedback.

Jason
Tanner, my thoughts were keeping the scope trim w/the little Kimber you are running.

The CDS can be had in 1/4 MOA clicks if that's how you want to run it. For hunting I'd not want anything finer.

Per Zeiss, I believe there is an option for a turret or retro-fit, someone else can confirm/clarify.
I looked into getting a Conquest with an exposed turret knob. Zeiss offers some Conquest models with target turrets. If it has hunter turrets, you can send it to Zeiss and they will install target turrets and its not very expensive IIRC.

I'm not sure if the target turret on the Conquest has a way to count revs though. Seem to remember them not having line markings. You might be able to make a zero-stop if you're willing to play around with shims.

Once you have target turrets on a Conquest, you can get custom knobs from Kenton.
dave & bob,

Jason

U R welcome

dave
Leupold failures? So common it is no secret at all. Most people that actually shoot rifles a lot as in benchrest will not be quiet on this subject of Leupold failures. It always comes down to the same old thing that Leupold refuses to address. Spring failure on the erector tube. That's why Cecil Tucker has been doing a spring up grade for years...

dave

Some of the bench rest shooters have also had their loopy erector assembly frozen in place and utilize external W&E controls.
True.
Cecil Tucker is still around.
Have a scope there right now getting converted.
He has upped his game as well.
Now you can lock up the Tucker conversion.
Hes added an out right lock, to lock down the erector.
Should be interesting.

dave
True.
Cecil Tucker is still around.
Have a scope there right now getting converted.
He has upped his game as well.
Now you can lock up the Tucker conversion.
Hes added an out right lock, to lock down the erector.
Should be interesting.

dave

How did he manage to lock the erector down and not move it at all?

It only takes a tiny bit of movement to translate to a big correction on the target.
It does indeed have the Target turrets, which I really enjoy. I'd love to grab a 3-9 Conquest with target turrets, but I'm unsure if such a thing exists.

Hey Tanner...

Yes, it exists. For $65/per Zeiss will put a target turret on a 3-9 Conquest. They do not sport a zero stop nor is there a way to visually indicate revolutions; for that reason they are not ideal for REALLY long range stuff. However, the Conquest scopes do have a bunch of MOA per rev so they'll get you out to 700+ in that first revolution. And it's not like they won't keep going; you just need to be cognizant of what rev you are on.

I like the lil' stock turret a bunch by the way. Put a sticker on it, put some yardage marks on it.... presto, a custom turret! grin

Are you sure you have the Target turrets on your Leup? They are very tall. I had them on a 6-18...

They're definitely target knobs!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Hey Tanner...

Yes, it exists. For $65/per Zeiss will put a target turret on a 3-9 Conquest. They do not sport a zero stop nor is there a way to visually indicate revolutions; for that reason they are not ideal for REALLY long range stuff. However, the Conquest scopes do have a bunch of MOA per rev so they'll get you out to 700+ in that first revolution. And it's not like they won't keep going; you just need to be cognizant of what rev you are on.

I like the lil' stock turret a bunch by the way. Put a sticker on it, put some yardage marks on it.... presto, a custom turret! grin

Are you sure you have the Target turrets on your Leup? They are very tall. I had them on a 6-18...

They are very good turrets, but they're only $50 per, plus $15 return shipping wink
when they put the target turrets on a conquest, do they change it to a set-screw retention on the turret? The original turret is held in place by spring tension.... you can lift it to index it. I like the conquest a lot..... but I don't really dig any of the turret options.

Hey Tanner...

They are very good turrets, but they're only $50 per, plus $15 return shipping wink

Some guys might just add them together and say $65..... whistle
when they put the target turrets on a conquest, do they change it to a set-screw retention on the turret? The original turret is held in place by spring tension.... you can lift it to index it. I like the conquest a lot..... but I don't really dig any of the turret options.

They have a large slot screw on the top. You zero the rifle, unscrew the screw, lift the turret, then set it back down aligned. It's got very fine serrations that key it into place, so it's not just the screw friction holding it in place.

Leupold wins for turret options, hands down.

thanks Jeff..... they're 18"-20" per revolution too.... correct?
I'm away from my guns, or I'd check, sorry. I don't remember exactly. I'm remembering they've got a bit more per rev than either a Leup or my Swaro AV.

Hey Tanner...

Some guys might just add them together and say $65..... whistle

Well, if you only got one turret, you'd be correct. But if you order elevation and windage, it's $50 + $50 + $15, rather than $65 plus $65 wink
thanks Jeff..... they're 18"-20" per revolution too.... correct?

18MOA
Jordan, you just saved him 15$. Can you save me a bunch of money on my car insurance?

Well, if you only got one turret, you'd be correct. But if you order elevation and windage, it's $50 + $50 + $15, rather than $65 plus $65 wink

Touch�!

But windage turrets are kinda........ gay.

laugh Kentucky Windage baby!

Touch�!

grin

I actually really enjoy dialing for windage with a scope that doesn't have a decent windage-marked reticle, but if the scope has a decent reticle for it, I much prefer holding off.
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
Jordan, you just saved him 15$. Can you save me a bunch of money on my car insurance?

Probably.

My FIL is an insurance agent... grin

I've run windage turrets. I see the utility but still, gay as a rainbow lollipop. grin
dave & bob,

Jason

U R welcome

dave

Indeed. smile

Dave has way more time and rounds behind S&B scopes than me so I would listen to what he has to say.... wink
© 24hourcampfire