Home
Ok looking for some suggestions for a tikka 7mm-08. What do u guys recommend?
I have the same rifle and have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 40mm. Haven't felt the need for anything bigger.
In keeping with the light weight of the rifle, I would prefer a light weight scope. Something like a leupold VX2 3-9X40 or VX3 3.5-10X40. If going more expensive perhaps a Swaro Z3 in 3-10X42.
I was thinking vx2 3�9 would be good
Hard to beat a VX2 3X9 for an all around light weight scope.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I agree. Both my T3 lites wear vx 2 3-9x40 in talley LWs. A few ounces over 7 lb.
Well here is where I'm trying to decide. I bought 2 redfield revolution 3x9 and are great scopes so how much better would a vx2 be? I don't have any vx2 only vx3.
I really like the VX2 3-9, and have 3 now, but I've had the revolution 3-9x40 and it's a good little scope as well IIRC. If you like the redfield, I wouldn't get rid of it for a vx2, but if your buying another one definitely give the vx2 a look.
They're a good value IMO, especially the two I bought last month with the $50 rebate.

+1

Just mounted a CDS version on a .300 WM for a good bud. I'm impressed with the glass quality, the sleek lines and the light weight of that scope. I have Vx-3's and the VX-2 is pretty close in quality, is sleeker and more streamlined than the VX-3. What's not to like.

DF
I did look at the vx2 today and they seem nice like I said never bought the vx2
I own a Zeiss Conquest, VX3, Nikon Monarch, Weaver Grand Slam, 2 Burris Black Diamonds, Bushnell Elite 4200, etc., but the scopes I have that impress me the most are 2 Burris Fullfield II 4.5X14-42mm scopes with ballistic plex and paralax adj. They are all I would ever want in a hunting scope and very reasonably priced. They came from Midsouth (not Midway) at about $300 if I recall correctly. They are very clear and hold zero. Mounted on a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 and a Savage .270.
ps300, the VX2 3-9 that I mounted on a Win. 70 Fwt. weighed 11.3 ounces on the digital kitchen scale. At $300 or a little less, it,s going to be hard to beat for your application. Like Dirtfarmer said, it's sleek and streamlined and I've had no problem mounting them in the ex-low Talleys. They may be the best Leupold FOR THE MONEY.
I didn't read that the selection must be light weight. I would purchase as much glass as my budget would allow. The Z3 in a 3-10x42 is a great match for the Tikka and caliber. Choose your favorite reticle.
My T3 lite 308 has a VX2 3-9x40 in Talley LW lows. It has great eye relief, is clear and bright and holds zero. I think it is hard to beat at the price and weight.

mike r
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
I was thinking vx2 3�9 would be good

With dotz is on top of mine..
Hard to complain about Leupold scopes but it used to feel like they were priced above their direct competition. With the VX2 I think the opposite is true the are a bargain. If I hadn't already purchased binos and a scope in one month I would have bought one on sale and then found a rifle.

If money is no object I like the Swaro scopes and my primary elk deer rifles wear Conquests but you can't beat the VX2 by much even paying more.
I was wanting a lightweight scope for my last purchase, went VX3 and recommend it. Was also considering the Vx2 and a Swarovski (thinking why not once in my life), I think I got it right -for me. The VX3 has surpassed my expectations . I wrote up a side by side comparison against my M8 6x42 as sun sank and set and it bested it in every way. That is saying something.

If you can swing the Vx3 I don't think you will feel you wasted the money after years of use. That said, you will feel you got a bargain with a Vx2 should you choose one.

If money is tight- consider a Weaver K6 as it will sit great on your rig. Small, light, bright with superb adjustments. Bargain feeling multiplied as it is about half what the Vx2 costs.

Just some ideas for ya.
And, if you're going to spend Swaro bucks, look at the VX-6 2-12x42. I know, it 30mm and heavier, but what a scope it is.

They can be had on EBay for around $850 or slightly less. I got mine used for $600 to my door, but I can't seem to find any more of those deals...

DF
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

I agree. Both my T3 lites wear vx 2 3-9x40 in talley LWs. A few ounces over 7 lb.

VX 2 and Talleys; definitely.
I have a t3 superlite with a swaro z5 3.5-18. We can only shoot elk with 3 points or better and 18x on the top end sure helps distinguishing legal vs non-legal bulls at distance. And its still under a pound.
I have that scope. The duplex was so fine, I sent it back to Swaro for a #4 German reticle.

I have a Z3, also. All said, I think the VX-6 to be the most scope for the buck on the market.

DF
I have the VX3 and if you have the money I would suggest it. If not go with the VX2 and feel comfortable. A man could hunt the world over with it and not be under scoped. powdr
I have VX-3's and like them a lot.

When working with the VX-2 for my buddy, I was amazed how close the VX-2 is to the VX-3 in glass quality. Now, I didn't do a lot of comparative testing, that's just my initial impression.

I was favorably impressed and a bit surprised, as I don't have a VX-2. But, after that experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. They're slimmer and sleeker than the VX-3, at least to me. And they're light weight, IMO perfect for a LW, compact rifle.

DF
Nikon Monarch 2x8 or Leupold VX-2 2x7 would be my choices. Actually the Leupold would get the nod because I'd order one with the post & duplex reticle.
If weight is not a major concern, eurooptic had the 3-9 Conquest on sale for $329. I will concur the VX-2 is a good lightweight scope for the money.
That's a good price for a Conquest. They're sorta big and bulky, but I like them, have several.

For turret twisters, you can send that Conquest back for an elevation turret, IIRC, for $89. Kenton Industries will make a custom yardage or MOA turret for a bit over a "C" note. Only thing, Zeiss turns the opposite direction from Swaro and Leupold. Not a big deal.

DF
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...iss_TERRA_3_9x42_299_97_at_B#Post9197813
My T3 Lite stainless 7-08 wears Talleys I got from 16bore holding a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 CDS.

P
I really like my Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 in Talleys. I can barely see the tip of my barrel at 2.5 and at 400 yards I have no problem shooting gallon jugs on 10 power.
I had a 3-9 Bushnell Elite 4200 on the stainless T3 7mm-08 I had. Sold the rifle but kept the scope.

Dale

I just bought two Conquest 3-9x40 scope from Europtic. One for me and one for my hunting bud. Price was $329 and because the total was over $500, free shipping. And because Europtic doesn't have a local store like Bass Pro or Cabelas, no sales tax.

These scopes to my door for $329, net. Now, that's a deal...

DF
Yes it is.

I missed a 1.8x5.5 Conquest that was in the classifieds here a few days ago. Three posts and it was gone.
If I'm guessing right, the Conquest may become the Zeiss mid priced scope in the $6-800 range, the Terra from Japan in the $300 range with Euros >$2K.

Seems they're closing out the lower priced Conquests.

DF
Got my 4x32 from Europtic at the end of Zeiss's discontinuation of them. $309 to my door. Luckily it was the 100yd parallax model. So again you got a good deal at $329 at this late stage of the game.
Might be against the grain here, but Burris has some good, lightweight offerings. I like mine.
Absolutely. You can get a 3-9x40 FFII for $150 after the $50 rebate.
I have considered the Burris also
Honestly I have bought 2 redfield revolution scopes and they are great I just was thinking a vx2 might be a little upgrade
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Absolutely. You can get a 3-9x40 FFII for $150 after the $50 rebate.

Yes and mine is 12.8 oz. Pretty light for a solid scope.
Also, you can shave another oz. (if it really matters) by using one of Burris' 2x-7x-35mm scopes. If you're really into shaving weight the VX-2 Ultralight is pretty light.
No not looking for a ultra light
I like Leupolds, but am no fan of their Ultra light or Compact series.

DF
I see I'm the only one with this opinion but I think the Vortex Viper 3-9x40 is the best scope in its price range.
I'd take a Weaver K6 6x38.
© 24hourcampfire