Home
Hi all,

The right neckstrap anchor that holds my binoculars to my strap broke while I was walking through the woods. The binos fell from my neck. I emailed the manufacturer since the binos are still under full warranty. They told me they wouldn't be able to fix them because "the neckstrap anchor is an integrated part of the binoculars body, which can not be repaired". The warranty states that they'll repair or replace if needed.

I sent them back to the company anyway. I attached a letter with my concerns, telling them that I paid a fair price for a quality product, and would like for them make it right. I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

Questions:
1. Am I expecting too much of the manufacturer to repair or replace the binoculars?

2. If I get them back without being repaired or replaced, are there any alternatives to using the anchor?

I don't want to mention the manufacturers name until I get a final confirmation on whether or not they'll honor their warranty. I love the binoculars but they will do me no good in my backpack while hunting.

Thanks for reading.

I would expect them to honor the warranty and that a full warranty would cover the WHOLE product.
Was it the factory strap? What kind of connector is on the strap end (nylon webbing, metal ring, etc.)?
Oh, this should get interesting.

I think we can rule out Swarovksi right off the bat.
It was an after market strap. It's a plastic lanyard style hook. The kind where you can only push one way. Terrible description I know. I've seen them my whole life but don't know what the proper name of them.
Originally Posted by bkmcdani
It was an after market strap. It's a plastic lanyard style hook. The kind where you can only push one way. Terrible description I know. I've seen them my whole life but don't know what the proper name of them.

So go ahead and spill the beans.....which binocular is it?
My guess is Nikon
Unless the aftermarket strap was the cause of the break, I would expect the manufacturer to pony up.

2. If I get them back without being repaired or replaced, are there any alternatives to using the anchor?

A buddy broke a strap lug on his Swarovski SLC's during a hunt and the temporary fix was to put a plastic zip-tie around the body and another zip-tie attached to that and cinched down to where it was in the same position/height as the lug and clipped the harness into it. Didn't look all that great, but it worked.
That's not a bad idea. I appreciate the input. The post office said they'd most probably arrive by Thursday, so I'm hoping for an email by early next week.
Which company?
I received my binos back from Zen-Ray today. They fixed the eyepiece but like they said, they weren't able to repair the neckstrap anchor. I'm a little disappointed since their website clearly states that they'll repair or replace ed3's. Now I know this isn't that big of a deal but to me it's false advertising. You live and you learn I guess.
Completely unacceptable. Who doesn't use/need some sort of Neck strap!
I plan on going the zip tie route.
Hi all,

The right neckstrap anchor that holds my binoculars to my strap broke while I was walking through the woods. The binos fell from my neck. I emailed the manufacturer since the binos are still under full warranty. They told me they wouldn't be able to fix them because "the neckstrap anchor is an integrated part of the binoculars body, which can not be repaired". The warranty states that they'll repair or replace if needed.

I sent them back to the company anyway. I attached a letter with my concerns, telling them that I paid a fair price for a quality product, and would like for them make it right. I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

Questions:
1. Am I expecting too much of the manufacturer to repair or replace the binoculars?

I don't want to mention the manufacturers name until I get a final confirmation on whether or not they'll honor their warranty. I love the binoculars but they will do me no good in my backpack while hunting.

Thanks for reading.

How about running a screw in side of the tube? Nice and secure. Hell, do it on the other side as well.

Note to self.... never by a Zen-Ray product.....I already knew that.
I said it a year or two ago when everyone was on the Zen Ray kick. "buy a binocular from a well know company, not one that no one will remember in 5 years" A lifetime warranty is only good for as long as the company is in business.
I received my binos back from Zen-Ray today. They fixed the eyepiece but like they said, they weren't able to repair the neckstrap anchor. I'm a little disappointed since their website clearly states that they'll repair or replace ed3's. Now I know this isn't that big of a deal but to me it's false advertising. You live and you learn I guess.

No, it IS a big deal.

From the ZR site:
If your PRIME HD, ZEN ED3, 2015 ZRS HD Binoculars or ZEN ED2 spotting scope requires service or repair, Zen-Ray will repair or replace it (even if it was your fault) for just $10, plus return shipping and handling.

I'd contact ZR and ask to speak directly to Charles.
That seems pretty clear.
To the OP.......IMO you got screwed.

Do what SKane says and contact Charles directly.
It seems ZR should replace the binocular. Fix is likely out of the question, actually on any binocular. The strap lugs are typically cast with the frame, so you have a busted frame, not a strap lug.

I don't care who makes the binocular or how much it costs, everybody needs something like this http://optechusa.com/adapt-its.html

In the case of the OP we don't know how he attached the strap. many cases a split key ring is used. These are a pretty bad idea. Either use a cable tie or one of the adapt-its linked, or something similar.

Should it have broken, probably not, should they stand up to the warranty claims, sure, they made the claim, that is then their deal. However everybody needs to look at how they attach their accessories.

I'm with the contact Charles directly posts.
Originally Posted by SteveC99
In the case of the OP we don't know how he attached the strap. many cases a split key ring is used. These are a pretty bad idea. Either use a cable tie or one of the adapt-its linked, or something similar.

Actually I did ask that question:
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Was it the factory strap? What kind of connector is on the strap end (nylon webbing, metal ring, etc.)?

And the OP answered with this:

It looks like the adapt-its you linked are perfect for the hook the OP used.
If it broke, they should fit it. Period. Call them on it, and have them make it right.

I don't care who makes the binocular or how much it costs, everybody needs something like this http://optechusa.com/adapt-its.html

Steve,
Thanks for the tip - that's a great idea.
Swarovski makes great little nylon webbing with eyelets to put through the strap anchors that are amazing.
Originally Posted by SKane

No, it IS a big deal.

From the ZR site:
If your PRIME HD, ZEN ED3, 2015 ZRS HD Binoculars or ZEN ED2 spotting scope requires service or repair, Zen-Ray will repair or replace it (even if it was your fault) for just $10, plus return shipping and handling.

I'd contact ZR and ask to speak directly to Charles.

Excellent advice. I'd also tell Charles that everyone at the "Campfire" is very interested in his response. His handling of this situation can make or break his brand's reputation with the outdoorsmen that frequent the forum.

Dan
These are what all Binos should come with.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
These are what all Binos should come with.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

No offense Joel, but did you miss this, several posts above?

None taken JG. I did see that. Just giving other options.
I was about ready to order a pair of Zen Rays........I would rot in Hell before I would by a pair Now!!!!! Thanks for the Heads up..... shocked

OP....I would accidentally drop them off the roof of a 10 story building ....And send them in again!!!!!! grin
Send them back in, give Zen-Ray a link to a new thread on this site and any other that your a member of stating how your tracking the warranty service of the failure of one of their products. Unfortunate you have to guilt them into standing behind their products, but I bet it will get results.
everybody needs something like this http://optechusa.com/adapt-its.html

Good link.
Zen-Ray needs to read this thread. And maybe provide the linked adapt-its with its binocs.
I'd be interested in knowing whether this problem was satisfactorily resolved. I've read a lot of very complimentary comments on Zen-Ray binoculars and it sounds as though I'd be happy with the performance, but if Zen-Ray not standing behind their product I'd have to pass.

So, how did it turn out, bkmacdani?
Leupolds warranty looks golden right about now
I sent them back and they cleaned the eye cups (if that's what they're called). They never fixed or replaced the binos, nor did they offer a refund. I've decided to use zip ties so I'll be able to wear them around my neck. It's not the end of the world, but IMO they didn't honor their policy. You live and you learn.
So you're throwing in the towel on this?

Shame on them for not backing up their products warranty.

But imo you shouldn't allow this to just end without your warranty issue being resolved
I agree...push them and then push again!!
No Zen Ray for me . I thought they had a decent warranty.
The only way to repair it is to replace it, and their warranty says they will replace if needed. I'd hold them to making good on their warranty as written.
Well, that answers MY question. Thanks, bkmcdani.

There are other outfits in the market who will honor a warranty and protect their reputations, so I guess I'll pass on Zen-Ray.
If they do not take care of it go to a local body shop with a good reputation, They should have a plastic repair kit that they use for bumpers might look like poop but it is strong stuff. Can also try the hardware stores but the shop techs should be able to clean the repair area up nicely.
I sent them back and they cleaned the eye cups (if that's what they're called). They never fixed or replaced the binos, nor did they offer a refund. I've decided to use zip ties so I'll be able to wear them around my neck. It's not the end of the world, but IMO they didn't honor their policy. You live and you learn.

Did you ask to speak to Charles?

I had it in my head to give the new Prime HD 8x a go.
By screwing with one person, they just lost another. wink

Originally Posted by SKane

Did you ask to speak to Charles?

I had it in my head to give the new Prime HD 8x a go.
By screwing with one person, they just lost another. wink

+1
I bet Tasco would even back their product better
Good to know the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. I need a new 10x bino and was considering the Zen-Ray 10x43 ZEN ED3.
Not anymore.
Next on the list is Leupold's Mohave BX-3 10x42.
Get a Vortex. They stand behind their products.
Do not give up so easily. Obnoxious customers usually get satisfaction.

I have had two experiences with lifetime warranty over the years where my nice guy approach failed. I will name the companies. Swarovski and Browning. In each instance the repairs were sub standard.

With the glass something within the binocular body slipped while hunting mules in the desert, two years in succession. With a nasty letter to the CEO enclosed, they went back to Ausrtia for a rebuild. They came back better than new.

At Browning, they gave me a shoddy repair job on a salt wood gun. The old guy at the repair facility at Arnold had retired. I wrote the president of Browning a two page letter describing the work. Long story short, they rehired the old guy and he called me. He doubted my description and ssked me to return the shotgun to his attention. A few days later I got another call. He said, "The SOB looks exactly as you described it." It came back like new.

Squeaky wheels get grease.

Best wishes,

Jack

I see you started this thread back in February, and it
is now September.

You have been treated badly, Zenray, should have replaced
your binoculars right away, with a new one. They can't fix
a strap anchor, that is part of the frame.
I absolutely cannot understand this. What is the cost to the factory of a new replacement binocular versus the value of the company's reputation? In the age of the internet, a sour apple or a ticked off customer can do serious damage to the public perception of a company. Leica found this out six or seven years ago. I'm not sure they have fully recovered from the laser rangefinder debacle.
Nephew has a "beach house" on the S TX coast. Rented a golf cart that broke down. Rental company brought them another, comped the cart, and gave them a free cart for next trip down, and begged for no negative comments on their Webb site. They (the rental people) say that other yuppies pay attention to the reviews. PR matters !

Jack
© 24hourcampfire