Home
Posted By: Below_par Say I wanted a good scope.. - 10/27/15
So, i'm pretty set for a VX2 3-9x40 with CDS for a 84L Kimber Montana I just got. But before I make the purchase, I just thought I'd pose a question.

What other scopes can I look at with preferably a 1 inch tube, similar sort of price, exposed elevation turret and 2-10, 3-9 or 3-12ish magnification? I'm trying to keep the rifle light, hence the 1" preference. That being said I would go to another 30mm optic if I liked it enough. An exposed windage turret is not necessary. Thanks for the input.
VX3 of your choice with factory installed M2 turret or the SOD for $50 from Leupolds custom shop will fit any of the 1/4' scopes DIY

On a light rifle I would stay Fixed 6 or 2.5 x 8 VX3
Posted By: jt402 Re: Say I wanted a good scope.. - 10/27/15
Your first choice is a good one.

Jack
May be a silly question, but can I get CDS retrofitted to any of my existing leupold scopes if I send them back? Or the M2 turret? Not sure how this would work as I am in Australia.

Also, what is the story regarding the mark AR? I can get one in the 3-9 non ileum for about the same money. Is the glass as good as a vx2? I would be buying it sight unseen online.
I called Leupold about the Mark ARs and was told that they are, optically speaking, the same as the VX1.
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 is my favorite for lightweight rifles. Have a couple of the 1st gen. Nikon Monarch 2-7x32's on a couple too.
Did you consider the ultralight version of the same?
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
Did you consider the ultralight version of the same?

I wouldn't.
260remguy, thank you. I think i'll give it a miss in that case. Akmtnrunner, I haven't considered the ultralight, and to be honest have never laid eyes on one so i'll probably not go that route either. At this stage looks like it'll be the vx2.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Say I wanted a good scope.. - 10/27/15
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I called Leupold about the Mark ARs and was told that they are, optically speaking, the same as the VX1.

Huh, I always thought they had VXII glass. Learned something today!
Originally Posted by slm9s

Huh, I always thought they had VXII glass. Learned something today!

After the 2012 upgrade, wouldn't VX-1 glass be the same as VX-II glass?
I have one of the small Mark AR's and it has full multicoating, MC4 I believe, and it's quite sharp and clear.
Originally Posted by Aleks9210
May be a silly question, but can I get CDS retrofitted to any of my existing leupold scopes if I send them back? Or the M2 turret? Not sure how this would work as I am in Australia.

Also, what is the story regarding the mark AR? I can get one in the 3-9 non ileum for about the same money. Is the glass as good as a vx2? I would be buying it sight unseen online.

Leupold will fit a CDS on a VX-3 or -2. I contacted them a while back seems like they quoted me about $60 for a generic CDS or about $85 for a custom turret. Don't quote me it was a few months back and my memory aint that great.
Posted By: Boxer Re: Say I wanted a good scope.. - 10/27/15
Every glass thus far cited in this Thread,is a steaming pile of fhuqking dogschit.

Read that again.

Now one more time.

Hint.

Have had more than a few Montuckys in tow,this past week straight. Hint.

Had a pard shooting my Rocktucky with 75 A-Max Form Loads at 2960fps,to the 1600yd line yesterday,from it's 225yd zero. That is a 95MOA correction,aboard a platform which retains 126.5MOA on the erector. During that engagement,I spun the ele turret to it's maximum uptitude and down to it's zero-stop,a whole fhuqking buncha times and then let him do same. I commented that it'd be handy for R&D purposes,to tote a cordless drill crossed-over to same,with which to actuate innards in gross fashion. After a couple/few THOUSAND MOA input in the erector,he shot and the dirty bastard was returned to home,like it had fhuqking eyes. In being able to do so,one gives up nothing in return,to reap such stalwart POA/POI intersections.

Read that again.

Now one more time.

CDS is absolute fhuqking dogschit,the Mark AR's are absolute fhuqking dogschit. They don't track for fhuqk,zero wanders on zoom selection and their internal latitudes are trite. One can spend less and get lightyears more Robustitude. Hint.

Read that again.

Now one more time.

For 300 Clams one gets a bulletproof erector,HUGE internal travel,etched reticle,beeg exit pupils and Sweet Subtension...along with the warm/fuzzy,that it'll weather all storms and happily digest obscene round counts.

[Linked Image]

Go 6x MQ and never fhuqking look back.

Hint.

Thank me later.

Originally Posted by mathman
I have one of the small Mark AR's and it has full multicoating, MC4 I believe, and it's quite sharp and clear.

The response that I received from Alan Ransom on 12/22/14 is this; "Optically, the match off best with the VX-1 line of scopes.".

The response that I received from Alan Ransom on 12/22/14 is this; "Optically, the match off best with the VX-1 line of scopes.".

I have both of these scopes and there is no comparison. Mark AR Mod is ALOT better glass. Worth the extra price over a VX1.

And Stick is right, SS are the bees knees for toughness and tracking.
Unfortunately OP is down under and can't reap the rewards of a super chicken fixed fuxxer. Sorry about his luck.
Originally Posted by 260madman

I have both of these scopes and there is no comparison. Mark AR Mod is ALOT better glass. Worth the extra price over a VX1.

In that case, Leupold's employee, Alan Ransom, must be talking down the products that he is employed to provide customer support for. Curious.
Unfortunately OP is down under and can't reap the rewards of a super chicken fixed fuxxer. Sorry about his luck.

I don't speak 'stick' as well as some of you guys. I thought he was a big fan of the fixed 6x42 Leupold. Is he now favoring the fixed 6x from SWFA?
No more love for rupold.
As 260remguy stated, I'm in Australia. I have looked at the super chicken, and would have gotten one if I could have, but they don't ship down here. Otherwise I'm very keen to try one out.

Thanks for all the input so far. At this stage looks like its still a VX2 with cods, or maybe a VX3 of some flavour. I wouldn't be shooting any further than say 700 meters at most, so having a massive amount of erector travel is not a big issue.

In that case, Leupold's employee, Alan Ransom, must be talking down the products that he is employed to provide customer support for. Curious.

Not all CS reps know the products of their company. Wouldn't be the first time a CS is wrong.

Not all CS reps know the products of their company. Wouldn't be the first time a CS is wrong.

OK, I just sent Leupold another request for clarification. Let's see what this CSR says.
No flies on the 6x36 FXII...the Weaver Grand Slam should be in that neighborhood for price to and compares very favorably IMO.
thanks cowboy. interesting point, maybe i'll have to go check out a grand slam.
Posted By: JamesW Re: Say I wanted a good scope.. - 10/31/15
Have a look at the Zeiss Conquest HD5. They are a 1" tube and have either turrets or rapid Z reticles, 42 or 50mm objectives. These are readily available in OZ and aren't too expensive.
I've got the Mod 1 1 1/2-4 (3.9), and it's okay. Like the light, the complicated reticle, not so much, but it's usable. The adjustments are okay, but I haven't and won't be, running them up and down a lot like Stick so would prefer regular knobs. I got it because it was the cheapest, lightest, Leupy with a light. It will probably end up on a 10-22 or AR after I whack a deer or two.

The SSs look like a great deal for LR stuff, but the reticles are too fascinating for me for woods hunting. Too heavy too. The rifle wearing the Mod 1 will probably end up with a boring old 2-7 vx-2 or some such. I'm thinking about an SS for my .223, maybe a 10x as it's already a load and a few extra ounces no big deal.
Posted By: _Pete Re: Say I wanted a good scope.. - 11/14/15
Originally Posted by Aleks9210
As 260remguy stated, I'm in Australia. I have looked at the super chicken, and would have gotten one if I could have, but they don't ship down here. Otherwise I'm very keen to try one out.

Thanks for all the input so far. At this stage looks like its still a VX2 with cods, or maybe a VX3 of some flavour. I wouldn't be shooting any further than say 700 meters at most, so having a massive amount of erector travel is not a big issue.

I am in the same situation as the OP, I too would like to try a SWFA SS, damn their export policy! Looks like a 6x42 Leupy it has to be. Any recommendations on the reticle?
© 24hourcampfire