Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
As 260remguy stated, I'm in Australia. I have looked at the super chicken, and would have gotten one if I could have, but they don't ship down here. Otherwise I'm very keen to try one out.

Thanks for all the input so far. At this stage looks like its still a VX2 with cods, or maybe a VX3 of some flavour. I wouldn't be shooting any further than say 700 meters at most, so having a massive amount of erector travel is not a big issue.

You only live once.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by 260madman
Originally Posted by mathman
I have one of the small Mark AR's and it has full multicoating, MC4 I believe, and it's quite sharp and clear.

The response that I received from Alan Ransom on 12/22/14 is this; "Optically, the match off best with the VX-1 line of scopes.".

I have both of these scopes and there is no comparison. Mark AR Mod is ALOT better glass. Worth the extra price over a VX1.

And Stick is right, SS are the bees knees for toughness and tracking.

In that case, Leupold's employee, Alan Ransom, must be talking down the products that he is employed to provide customer support for. Curious.

Not all CS reps know the products of their company. Wouldn't be the first time a CS is wrong.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
I have one of the small Mark AR's and it has full multicoating, MC4 I believe, and it's quite sharp and clear.

The response that I received from Alan Ransom on 12/22/14 is this; "Optically, the match off best with the VX-1 line of scopes.".

I have both of these scopes and there is no comparison. Mark AR Mod is ALOT better glass. Worth the extra price over a VX1.

And Stick is right, SS are the bees knees for toughness and tracking.

In that case, Leupold's employee, Alan Ransom, must be talking down the products that he is employed to provide customer support for. Curious.

Not all CS reps know the products of their company. Wouldn't be the first time a CS is wrong.

OK, I just sent Leupold another request for clarification. Let's see what this CSR says.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No flies on the 6x36 FXII...the Weaver Grand Slam should be in that neighborhood for price to and compares very favorably IMO.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
thanks cowboy. interesting point, maybe i'll have to go check out a grand slam.

You only live once.
IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Have a look at the Zeiss Conquest HD5. They are a 1" tube and have either turrets or rapid Z reticles, 42 or 50mm objectives. These are readily available in OZ and aren't too expensive.

Last edited by JamesW; 10/30/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got the Mod 1 1 1/2-4 (3.9), and it's okay. Like the light, the complicated reticle, not so much, but it's usable. The adjustments are okay, but I haven't and won't be, running them up and down a lot like Stick so would prefer regular knobs. I got it because it was the cheapest, lightest, Leupy with a light. It will probably end up on a 10-22 or AR after I whack a deer or two.

The SSs look like a great deal for LR stuff, but the reticles are too fascinating for me for woods hunting. Too heavy too. The rifle wearing the Mod 1 will probably end up with a boring old 2-7 vx-2 or some such. I'm thinking about an SS for my .223, maybe a 10x as it's already a load and a few extra ounces no big deal.

What fresh Hell is this?
_
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
_
Originally Posted by Aleks9210
As 260remguy stated, I'm in Australia. I have looked at the super chicken, and would have gotten one if I could have, but they don't ship down here. Otherwise I'm very keen to try one out.

Thanks for all the input so far. At this stage looks like its still a VX2 with cods, or maybe a VX3 of some flavour. I wouldn't be shooting any further than say 700 meters at most, so having a massive amount of erector travel is not a big issue.

I am in the same situation as the OP, I too would like to try a SWFA SS, damn their export policy! Looks like a 6x42 Leupy it has to be. Any recommendations on the reticle?

Peter

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 33 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,596
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.