Home
So, I leave for a few years, and when I come back, you [bleep] are breaking Talley LW's! grin

This is dismaying because I have a number of them and like them very much.

Trying to quantify this a bit. Have you personally broken them, and on what? Bonus points for pics.
Not yet.
if you are not rough on your gear I'd not worry about them
I'll never break any because I use Warne.grin
My Talley's never will break either because they are STEEL. I gladly give up a few ounces saved for strength and peace of mind, especially when I hear the reports of possible weakness. Mr. Murphy always likes to haunt hunting trips if he can get his foot in the door.
Melvin Forbes designed these lightweight rings and sold the rights to manufacture them to talley....so they have been out there since 1985 or 1986 and if they didnt work or there was a design issue with them I think it would have shown itself way before Talley started making them
my main rifle has had 5 different barrels of different magnum calibers over the last 8-10 years, gun has been carried in a saddle scabbard , on the handlebars of a yamaha bigwheel, in an eberlestock pack and pretty much thrown all over the truck, older leupold 4.5x14, the talley LW rings are worn silver in places,,,

not one problem besides the screws rust and look ugly, i have put them on 10-15 rifles not one problem,
my main rifle is carried on the leupold handle always,
i had 1 base on 2 differnt sets of dual dovetails crack at the dovetail joint, quit using them, the windage adjustable bases have lost screws or broke screws many times , thats why i started on dual dovetails, then went to talley LW,
just one guys experience
Gear phobia spreads like herpes in a dorm here on the 'fire...
Jeff_O,

The set on my Weatherby are 1" extra high. Even after knocking the leaning rifle off a tire on rocks, it didn't change impact. The other is on a Remington clone with a 34mm scope. It was the only rifle I used last year on several hunts. No problems. Both are Aluminum.
A good buddy had one develop a crack in the top half of the ring The crack ran from the screw hole to the corner of the ring. He called Talley and they send him a new ring half the same day. No problems since then. This was on a ULA 300 Win.
Originally Posted by bellydeep

That's classic! smile

It was crabs in my dorm (thank GOD).....

Yes, there's a tendency to lemming-up on stuff like this.
In the last 45 years the only rings I broke were Burris Signatures with the plastic inserts. If I was not interested in saving weight I would still use that brand.
I broke one 4-5 years ago. I called them and they replaced it within days. It broke near the screws. I'd bet some kind of metal defect. I have Talleys LW on most of my rifles and have so for the past 10-12 years. That is the only one I've ever had issues with. I've hunted them as cold as -22 F and warm as the mid 80's with nary an issue. I dig them.
Ive been using talleys for about 15 years and did break 1 set. One of the top caps split across the screw holes. I think it was operator error, I tightened the crap out of it and it eventually gave up. I now use a torque wrench and dont expect to have any more problems.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
So, I leave for a few years, and when I come back, you [bleep] are breaking Talley LW's! grin

Trying to quantify this a bit. Have you personally broken them, and on what? Bonus points for pics.

Nope and I use the fu ck out of them... Guys buying chit receivers and cheap rifles that aren't machined right and break mounts and bend/dent scope tubes and wonder why their talleys are splitting. Go figure...
Never have had any problems, and started using the original Forbes-designed version in the late 1980's, which as I recall was made by some company in the Midwest. Haven't had any problems with the Talley version either.

I saw a pic of a broken rifle bolt, there-fore you should avoid Bolt actions also.

Never saw a another person who dives into such depths of mental masturbation as you.
There are few things I trust - Nosler Partitions (and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws) - Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 with 4A reticle - Talley LtWt Scope mounts - and a Vais Muzzle Brake on a rifle as recoil nears that of a ,375 H&H.

There are also some things I've learned not to trust such as outfitters, when questioned about horses say "easy riding and as gentle as a lamb" - HAH!
Originally Posted by bellydeep

That's classic! smile

It was crabs in my dorm (thank GOD).....

Yes, there's a tendency to lemming-up on stuff like this.

Crabs got scarce once girls started shaving their cooters.
I like them, but I'm not known to throw my rifle in the creek, so take it with a grain of salt.

No broken Talley pics, but I have a series of photos of a Nosler bullet box that kicked my ass.....
I have not had any problems.
Originally Posted by ingwe

No broken Talley pics, but I have a series of photos of a Nosler bullet box that kicked my ass.....
grin
I've broken 2 sets out of about 6 sets owned. 1 split vertically through the base and 1 broken ring cap. I've gone back to dual dovetails.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I like them, but I'm not known to throw my rifle in the creek, so take it with a grain of salt.

Come on dude. That is the only way to prove you're badass. [bleep] tough on the Milford, ya know?
I've had a few break and seen first hand a few more. I still have a few sets, but they make me nervous.
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Ive been using talleys for about 15 years and did break 1 set. One of the top caps split across the screw holes. I think it was operator error, I tightened the crap out of it and it eventually gave up. I now use a torque wrench and dont expect to have any more problems.

Over-tightening is the main cause of Talley failures. If a ring cap is cracked, it only got that way by one method.
Why anyone would use these crappy rings is beyond me. If they were the only choice out there I could see it, but they aren't. There are tons of rings that are much better on the market today.
Mine cracked at the mounting area, near the receiver, although the anecdotal reports of failures on the interwbz seems to point towards more cap failures.

I did a hardness test and the material measured within the 7000-series as Talley advertises.

Might be hard to tell in the pic, but there is a crack that goes from the thru-hole to the face closest to the camera.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ingwe

That's a fu cking classic right there... laugh
As a side note...

If anyone has a set of Talleys that have failed, I'd be happy to do a hardness test on them if you're interested. Please send a PM.

JeffO, sorry to sidetrack.

Jason
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Mine cracked at the mounting area, near the receiver, although the anecdotal reports of failures on the interwbz seems to point towards more cap failures.

I did a hardness test and the material measured within the 7000-series as Talley advertises.

Might be hard to tell in the pic, but there is a crack that goes from the thru-hole to the face closest to the camera.

[Linked Image]

That's exactly where my second broken set cracked.
I mount a lot of scopes. I am a dealer for Talley and like to use them on everything that isn't getting a rail. Talley makes nice picatinny rails too. In 8 years dealing them not one set has ever come back. Every once in awhile I will order the wrong set and they make it right far beyond my expectations every time. I do wish they could make their lightweights in a titanium version for guys that are hard on their rifles.

My sons Accumark has Talleys on it holding a VXIII 6.5-20x40 EFR target scope. One day he was packing it slung over his shoulder and the sling mount came open and the rifle fell straight back landing right on top of the target knob in really hard packed gravel. I figured the scope would be broke in half. It smashed the turret cover but it didn't hurt the rings or the scope. Zero was spot on. 10 years later he is still using the whole setup.

At work we see far more broken, rounded out screws and stripped receiver holes than broken Talley's. Over tightened scope mounts are far and away the most common mistake I see on peoples rifles. That alone completely jacks up the tracking and ability to hold zero in some scopes by distorting the tube right where the erector pivot is located. If you are mounting your own scopes I can't stress enough the importance of a good inch pound torque wrench. Every set of rings should also be checked with a lapping bar for alignment.
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Why anyone would use these crappy rings is beyond me. If they were the only choice out there I could see it, but they aren't. There are tons of rings that are much better on the market today.

Define "better" here.

It has been discussed before:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9338029/1
EVERYONE that I know/shoot/hunt with has broken at least (1) set of LW's. Multiple,have failed multiple and upon different receivers and I'm one of "them".

I personally have owned/shot/got 50+ sets of LW's and my "problem" is,I shoot and spend more time flogging upon same,than anyone else "knows". Hint.

A not so fhuqking curious "consensus" here,is them who are the most couchbound,trumpet and fabricate the most excuses for LW failures. NONE of them turn a fhuqking lick,wear out barrels under field conditions or wear out boots. Hint.

Now LW's have been very good to me,given their none too "secreted" limitations(weight),which just "happens" to be predicated upon their design. The Theory is there,but their execution do not meet the perils of REAL Application. Metallurgy has run the gamut,for a multitude of reasons,none of which is comfortin' when YOUR schit pukes in the field. Hint.

When I weigh in extrapolation the 100's of 1000's of rounds suffered ala LW's in my mitts and the conditions/atmospherics they've been subjected to,I'll grant that SOMETHING is gonna puke over time. The fhuqking constant(s) that plague my actual USE and those of others who actually USE rifles,is that failures by and large have been on modest weight rifles,of modest or lesser recoil values. The inertia summoned is exceedingly modest in comparison to many platforms I gun,but the failure rate is skyrocketed in glaring comparison.

LW's do not handle wear/tear worth a fhuqk,in the longterm. They can/will/do puke and I could give a fhuqk less about a Safe Queen,taking exception to that glaring obvious. For folks that run/gun up/down mountains,schlep streams and fend a new thing called "weather".there will simply come a time,when LW's WILL fhuqk you and puke unsuspectingly.

Feel free to "torque" that constant fact. Hint. Laffin'!

In recent years(last 3) their Puketitude has gone through the fhuqking roof and all of us who gave them a chance,turned tail and RAN away. Sad,but true.

It's a fhuqking hoot here,reading about the "horror stories" folks regale in,on how a rifle slipped off a shoulder or managed it's first scratch. Hint. Laffin'!

As rifles go,the most consistent inconsistency I've seen through the years and via 100's of rifles/scopes/chamberings that I've owned,is that optics and their mounting systems reliably puke before anything/everything else. Read that again. Now one more time.

I've defaulted back to schit that I've never broken,or seen broke in the firsthand and that is DD's. Though in fairness,they weigh 100% more than LW's,though I can suffer the extry 2 ounces of weight for a 100% warm/fuzzy. Hint.(grin)

Perhaps I had GREAT lots of LW's to start with,which baited the hook,then they got "bad"?!? Fhuqk I don't know. What I do KNOW,is that their trust has been broken and will never again be revisited,due inopportune failures less obvious explanation.

It was a good ride...but that party is OVER.

Hint.

Agreed, I havent had DDs go TU on me yet.
I got several sets, Mark V ulw 300 Roy, Mark V fibermark 340 Roy, lotsa lil calibers, nary a hiccup....
As usual, Big Boxer nailed it. In lieu of DDs, I have gone with Burris low profile two piece steel picatinny base with seekins aluminum picatinny rings.
Judman,

I got several sets, Mark V ulw 300 Roy, Mark V fibermark 340 Roy, lotsa lil calibers, nary a hiccup....

Haven't you heard or read you get what you pay for?

After spending $1,600 on a Pierce titanium and $1,350 for a VX-6, and $520 for a carbon stock, and $600 for a Christensen carbon barrel and $225 for a Terminator 3 brake and a few hundred for the 'smith to put it together, I went on the cheap and used Talley light weights. crazy I used the rifle on several hunts last year, which was its first year, and like you didn't have a problem.

What I will say is after two $225 Timney triggers I switched to another brand.
Sh-t happens if you use it.
Ya, guess what it boils down to, is who gives a fu ck what folks use?? This place is funny for sure... Guy I just hunted a couple days ago for sheep down here in kona had a browning a bort 7 mag, huskemaw scope, which he loved, I hated it, talley lw, ww silver box ammo. The whole setup looked like had been drug behind a truck down a loggin rd, has never cleaned the snout, killed 2 rams in 2 1/2 hours with it. Dudes makes a living with said rig and sports 100% success rate, asked how he liked the talleys, said he liked em.... Grin
These work. My heavy handed farmer tight thought process stripped a screw one time, but that ended when I bought a fat wrench. I also like the DNZ mounts a great deal. I met the folks from Talley at the shot show many years ago. Awesome folks that make a quality USA made product. I think I have 6 or 7 sets. After meeting the folks from Talley I feel pretty darn confident that you could do a lot worse when it comes to rings etc.
We've got them on 9 pre 64 M70's and never a problem.
Only issue I have had with Talley other then a pair of poorly machined steel detachables has been with the quality of their screws. They are soft, poor quality that they must buy from China at the lowest price. They need to remedy that .
I got a set that had one of the bottom halves without any tapped holes. I got a set that had screws with NO threads on them. Both times they quickly remedied the problem. I currently own one set, they reside on a 700 Mtn rifle that gets a lot of hard use. I had rolled an ATV over on it, dropped it falllen on it and somehow the 2.5-8 VXIII and the Talley lightweights have not moved more than 1" at 100 yards through all this.
All I'm saying is that with a sample of one, I have not managed to break them. Would I buy more? Maybe if I was working on a lightweight rifle.
I think steel weaver bases and a Leuplod PRW ring is pretty dang indestructible for the money myself. I am personally not a fan of DD rings.
Originally Posted by 300stw
my main rifle has had 5 different barrels of different magnum calibers over the last 8-10 years, gun has been carried in a saddle scabbard , on the handlebars of a yamaha bigwheel, in an eberlestock pack and pretty much thrown all over the truck, older leupold 4.5x14, the talley LW rings are worn silver in places,,,

not one problem besides the screws rust and look ugly, i have put them on 10-15 rifles not one problem,
my main rifle is carried on the leupold handle always,
i had 1 base on 2 differnt sets of dual dovetails crack at the dovetail joint, quit using them, the windage adjustable bases have lost screws or broke screws many times , thats why i started on dual dovetails, then went to talley LW,
just one guys experience

Pretty much my experience, complete with the bad DD experience. I'll use Talley LWs until I do have a problem. Hopefully it won't be on a hunt, far from a spare rig.
I've had 2 pair crack. They were on rifles that spent a lot of time on ATV's and tractors (as well as hunted and shot a lot). Have other LW's still mounted that haven't cracked but I've moved to DNZ's and haven't had a problem with them yet.

Originally Posted by ctsmith
As usual, Big Boxer nailed it. In lieu of DDs, I have gone with Burris low profile two piece steel picatinny base with seekins aluminum picatinny rings.

I like this option as well. I have a couple rifles set up with seekins rings and really like them...but those two haven't been run through the ringer as much as those with DNZ's.
Jay, run them through the ringer, I'm thinking they'll fair well.

Here's the 30mm and 1" version, both with 42mm scopes and small diameter barrels. The 1" version is a little more trim, which is a good thing. The height is just about right. It could stand to be ever so slightly lower, but good enough for sure.

[Linked Image]
I've had well north of 20 pairs of Talley Lwt's. Never an issue.

But I don't over-tighten anything (torque wrench), and I've lapped every one of them.

I guess I should say HINT...

Originally Posted by Brad

But I don't over-tighten anything (torque wrench), and I've lapped every one of them.

Yeah, but you never had the same rifle longer than a month or two. grin

I've never lapped them and only tighten them with 2 fingers and my thumb on the little wrench. I've not counted but I've had a lot of them, only 2 broke and they were used hard. Maybe it was my fault for not lapping or tightening to much....but no DNZ's have cracked yet and they get the same treatment.

Originally Posted by Brad

That would be something El Chapo del Norte would say grin
© 24hourcampfire