Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
So, I leave for a few years, and when I come back, you [bleep] are breaking Talley LW's! grin

This is dismaying because I have a number of them and like them very much.

Trying to quantify this a bit. Have you personally broken them, and on what? Bonus points for pics.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not yet.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
if you are not rough on your gear I'd not worry about them

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'll never break any because I use Warne.grin

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
My Talley's never will break either because they are STEEL. I gladly give up a few ounces saved for strength and peace of mind, especially when I hear the reports of possible weakness. Mr. Murphy always likes to haunt hunting trips if he can get his foot in the door.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Melvin Forbes designed these lightweight rings and sold the rights to manufacture them to talley....so they have been out there since 1985 or 1986 and if they didnt work or there was a design issue with them I think it would have shown itself way before Talley started making them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my main rifle has had 5 different barrels of different magnum calibers over the last 8-10 years, gun has been carried in a saddle scabbard , on the handlebars of a yamaha bigwheel, in an eberlestock pack and pretty much thrown all over the truck, older leupold 4.5x14, the talley LW rings are worn silver in places,,,

not one problem besides the screws rust and look ugly, i have put them on 10-15 rifles not one problem,
my main rifle is carried on the leupold handle always,
i had 1 base on 2 differnt sets of dual dovetails crack at the dovetail joint, quit using them, the windage adjustable bases have lost screws or broke screws many times , thats why i started on dual dovetails, then went to talley LW,
just one guys experience

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gear phobia spreads like herpes in a dorm here on the 'fire...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff_O,

The set on my Weatherby are 1" extra high. Even after knocking the leaning rifle off a tire on rocks, it didn't change impact. The other is on a Remington clone with a 34mm scope. It was the only rifle I used last year on several hunts. No problems. Both are Aluminum.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A good buddy had one develop a crack in the top half of the ring The crack ran from the screw hole to the corner of the ring. He called Talley and they send him a new ring half the same day. No problems since then. This was on a ULA 300 Win.

IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep

That's classic! smile

It was crabs in my dorm (thank GOD).....

Yes, there's a tendency to lemming-up on stuff like this.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the last 45 years the only rings I broke were Burris Signatures with the plastic inserts. If I was not interested in saving weight I would still use that brand.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I broke one 4-5 years ago. I called them and they replaced it within days. It broke near the screws. I'd bet some kind of metal defect. I have Talleys LW on most of my rifles and have so for the past 10-12 years. That is the only one I've ever had issues with. I've hunted them as cold as -22 F and warm as the mid 80's with nary an issue. I dig them.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ive been using talleys for about 15 years and did break 1 set. One of the top caps split across the screw holes. I think it was operator error, I tightened the crap out of it and it eventually gave up. I now use a torque wrench and dont expect to have any more problems.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
So, I leave for a few years, and when I come back, you [bleep] are breaking Talley LW's! grin

This is dismaying because I have a number of them and like them very much.

Trying to quantify this a bit. Have you personally broken them, and on what? Bonus points for pics.

Nope and I use the fu ck out of them... Guys buying chit receivers and cheap rifles that aren't machined right and break mounts and bend/dent scope tubes and wonder why their talleys are splitting. Go figure...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Never have had any problems, and started using the original Forbes-designed version in the late 1980's, which as I recall was made by some company in the Midwest. Haven't had any problems with the Talley version either.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I saw a pic of a broken rifle bolt, there-fore you should avoid Bolt actions also.

Never saw a another person who dives into such depths of mental masturbation as you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are few things I trust - Nosler Partitions (and Trophy Bonded Bear Claws) - Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 with 4A reticle - Talley LtWt Scope mounts - and a Vais Muzzle Brake on a rifle as recoil nears that of a ,375 H&H.

There are also some things I've learned not to trust such as outfitters, when questioned about horses say "easy riding and as gentle as a lamb" - HAH!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep

That's classic! smile

It was crabs in my dorm (thank GOD).....

Yes, there's a tendency to lemming-up on stuff like this.

Crabs got scarce once girls started shaving their cooters.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like them, but I'm not known to throw my rifle in the creek, so take it with a grain of salt.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 3,132 guests, and 1,446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,743
Posts18,476,068
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.