Home
Posted By: unahunt Maven binoculars - 02/06/16
anybody used or have experience with Maven B-3, 8x30 binoculars?
thanks
Posted By: toad Re: Maven binoculars - 02/06/16
I have a pair. awesome binos.
Posted By: starsky Re: Maven binoculars - 02/06/16
Got a pair. They kick ass.
Posted By: Sevens Re: Maven binoculars - 02/06/16
Fun to fiddle around with the custom colors online too.
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Maven binoculars - 02/06/16
It looks like the kids like these. I am not sure
if that means anything about the optics.

I would go slow with this unknown brand.
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

so you have no clue. got it...
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Maven binoculars - 02/06/16
The B2 9x45 I tested was VERY good.

Dunno how "unknown" Maven binoculars are, since they've been around for at least a couple of years now. But it is difficult to keep up with all the new optics appearing every year.
the B-2 impressed me enough to 'gamble' on the B-3

but the wife promptly adopted the B-3s so I really shouldn't have said "I" have them. LOL
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Maven binoculars - 02/06/16
I'm familiar with that optical phenomenon myself!
Posted By: toad Re: Maven binoculars - 02/07/16
Originally Posted by Sevens
Fun to fiddle around with the custom colors online too.

just don't get carried away LOL

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: Maven binoculars - 02/07/16
Is it possible for one of you gents with a Maven optic to snap a closeup pict of the ocular/eyecups?

gimme a sec...

ok this is B3s on top and the eye cups set down (for eyeglasses). they twist out for no glasses.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: Maven binoculars - 02/07/16
Perfect! Thanks so much!
Posted By: reelman Re: Maven binoculars - 02/07/16
Originally Posted by toad
I have a pair. awesome binos.

I never understand why people buy a pair of the same binocular? Instead of buying a pair of these binoculars I would suggest buying a 8X and a 10X instead of a pair of either power LOL!
laffing... is it proper to say I have a binocular?
Correct the "bi" already means there are to of them. Kind of like saying you're riding a pair of bicycles. Just one of my pet peeves.
Originally Posted by reelman
Correct the "bi" already means there are to of them. Kind of like saying you're riding a pair of bicycles. Just one of my pet peeves.

point taken.

how about "a pair of pliers"? 'pliers' is plural, but we are talking about a single object, and "pair" seems redundant...

pair of pants?

regardless, i'll make an effort to use the term correctly.

and of course, it is my duty to point out that a post correcting somebody's english should have 'two' spelled correctly.

grin
Posted By: Sevens Re: Maven binoculars - 02/07/16

So says the guy who used "to" in place of "two."

wink
Originally Posted by Sevens

So says the guy who used "to" in place of "two."

wink

Touche!
Posted By: SteveC99 Re: Maven binoculars - 02/08/16
I have the B1, B2, and the B3. I was an early adopter of the 9x45 B2. I agree with JB in that it is a GREAT glass. The same capitalized adjective applies to the B1 and B3. They will seriously compete with anything. I had Swarovski SLC 10x42, SV 8.5x42 and 10x42 as well as the SV 10x50 SV in my personal ownership possession while having the same ownership of the B1, B2, and B3. The reason was primarily for comparison with the big B2, but the B3 seems optically too close to the B2 to matter much. The Maven's remain, the Swarovski's do not. Mostly that is because of the severe rolling ball reaction I get with the over hyped flat field of the SV, I can't use them. Even the SLC could not put the B2 down for the count. To be clear, the Swarovski is in certain ways better, but in certain ways the B2 kicked some butt on its own. My personal go to binocular combo is the 9x45 B2 and the 8x30 B3. They are more two different types than one being clearly better than the other.

Maven is working on a 7x45 B2 and a 6x30 B3. There is also a 15x56 based on the Abbe-Koening prisms in the works too.

In spite of Jerry's personal bile over the customization process, I used it on the B2 and B3, this is a feature that needs to be far more widely offered.

You will not regret the 5 bills for the B3. Eyeglass wearers may have some different reaction. Point is no two eye glass wearers have the same eye relief needs , so you might need to be prepared to send it back if it does not work. However the eye cup assemblies unscrew and 0-rings can be used to extend the er somewhat.
Posted By: WRO Re: Maven binoculars - 02/10/16
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

so you have no clue. got it...

Oh great another fanboy stump humper..

A firend of mine, who I guarantees knows more about how to judge optics than 99% of people out there said they're about the same as a set of razors/vipers. Neither of which are impressive.

Posted By: toad Re: Maven binoculars - 02/10/16
let me get this straight. you don't have and haven't used Maven binoculars but you heard someone talk about them once, so you jump into a thread asking "anybody used or have experience with Maven B-3, 8x30 binoculars?" and ankle bite a guy with those exact binos. wow.

now SMD, runt.
Posted By: WRO Re: Maven binoculars - 02/10/16
let me get this straight. you don't have and haven't used Maven binoculars but you heard someone talk about them once, so you jump into a thread asking "anybody used or have experience with Maven B-3, 8x30 binoculars?" and ankle bite a guy with those exact binos. wow.

now SMD, runt.

Most people have no clue how to evaluate glass or even the slightest clue as to what to look for. I'd rather take the opinion of expert (not some stumphumper magazine writer either), than believe half the [bleep] I read.

Some people are impressed by sub par optics, I for one am not. Even if I was looking to spend 900.00 on a set of glass, I wouldn't buy one I couldn't put my hands on first from a company that's been in business less than a year.

They are basically the old Bruntons, which weren't that impressive for the cost. Its just another piece of imported Asian glass, that probably won't be around in 5 years.
Posted By: toad Re: Maven binoculars - 02/10/16
you are just parroting what you've heard. we get that. but are you really trying to say that talking to somebody about binoculars trumps hands on experience and actually using optics with our own eyes?

what your 'expert' didn't tell you is the B-3 (which the OP was asking about) starts @ $450, and you can return stock optics within two weeks for a full refund. (demo program)

Maven Demo Program

but don't let facts stop you from humping your friends leg. you are on a roll...
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Maven binoculars - 02/10/16
They look pretty expensive to me. They would have to be really good considering that this company may not exist in 2 years from now. Then what good is a warranty?
Posted By: toad Re: Maven binoculars - 02/11/16

it'd be very easy to spend more for less.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Maven binoculars - 02/11/16
you are just parroting what you've heard. we get that. but are you really trying to say that talking to somebody about binoculars trumps hands on experience and actually using optics with our own eyes?

what your 'expert' didn't tell you is the B-3 (which the OP was asking about) starts @ $450, and you can return stock optics within two weeks for a full refund. (demo program)

Maven Demo Program

but don't let facts stop you from humping your friends leg. you are on a roll...

I puchased a pair of B3's through the demo program. I told them my primary concern was eye relief for eyeglasses as their listed eye relief was short (it's actually surprisingly difficult to find 8x32 or 10x32 w/ at least 16mm eye relief). I was assured the eye relief was fine for glasses use, yes buy a demo pair to try, if you don't like them return them.

When I received them and used them I was impressed with them. My vision problems are minor and I was able to use the binoculars w/o my eyeglasses very effectively. I hunt with my eyeglasses on and taking them on and off every time I want to glass something isn't an option. Using my eyeglasses there wasn't enough eye relief. I kept them for a weekend, but they just didn't work for me.

As previously mentioned, I had been looking for a pair of 8x32's and had given up and decided to purchase a pair of 8x42's as most every model has adequate eye relief. Of the numerous binos I looked through I thought the Zeiss Conquest HD's seemed like the best binocular for the price to my eyes. Before I puchased the Zeiss, I read about the Mavens here and ordered a demo pair.

After looking through the Maven 8x32's I had decided that I would return them and get a pair of the 8x42's through the demo program to compare to the Zeiss. I was actually expecting I may like the Mavens better. Then I called Maven to let them know I was returning the 8x32's and see about ordering the 8x42's.

Their attitude was so $hitty when I told them I was returning the 8x32's I decided against ordering the 8x42's. The person on the phone starting telling me of different things I could do that would make the short eye relief work for me - "Have you tried tilting your head back a little and looking through the eye glass lenses a little lower?"

I told him that If I had to change the way I used binoculars in order to see through them, I didn't want them. I repeated what I had told him when I ordered the 8x32's that I couldn't find a pair with adequate eye relief and it wasn't just the Mavens. Incredibly, he snapped "You knew what the eye relief was when you ordered them."

I responded that I did, but reminded him that he had assured me that the eye relief would work for me and told me I would have no problems returning them if I did. I asked if there was a problem returning them now. After a long wait he asked if I still had the shipping label - I did. "Box them up and return them, anything missing or damaged you'll be charged for"

So no, I didn't order the 8x42's... I was impressed with their optics, highly unimpressed with the way they dealt with the return.

David
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Maven binoculars - 02/11/16
As David mentioned, and I agree, eye relief can be a big issue on the 8x32 config binoculars. I've been through several pair myself, including the 8x32 viper ED and Swaro SLCneu. I had to return both for the same reasons David explained. I finally found a pair I was so pleased with, the Cabelas euro HD, that I unscrewed the eyepieces and added some o-rings in order to get proper eye that I could live with.

Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Maven binoculars - 02/11/16
I have no issues with my 8x30 SLCs with eyeglasses.

Sounds like Maven is a chitty company to deal with. Now we have expensive glass(not stupid expensive), a dice roll on whether they will be around in a few years and Mr attitude at customer service.

I would be afraid to test them waters.
Posted By: kingston Re: Maven binoculars - 02/11/16
There were a set for sale in the classifieds.
Posted By: starsky Re: Maven binoculars - 02/11/16
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Sounds like Maven is a chitty company to deal with. Now we have expensive glass(not stupid expensive), a dice roll on whether they will be around in a few years and Mr attitude at customer service.

And you guessing as per usual.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Maven binoculars - 02/12/16
Originally Posted by JGRaider
As David mentioned, and I agree, eye relief can be a big issue on the 8x32 config binoculars. I've been through several pair myself, including the 8x32 viper ED and Swaro SLCneu. I had to return both for the same reasons David explained. I finally found a pair I was so pleased with, the Cabelas euro HD, that I unscrewed the eyepieces and added some o-rings in order to get proper eye that I could live with.

These observations were based on the fact that I do not wear eyeglasses.
Posted By: STS45 Re: Maven binoculars - 02/12/16

Whoa calm down tiger. You have ONE guy posting his experiences and all of a sudden they are a [bleep] company? OK sure. I've had two pairs of Mavens and have spoken on the phone with them several times both when ordering and returning. I also have met and spoken with them at trade shows. They are a great group of guys that are passionate about their products. We are all human and we have one guy who makes one bad post. Hate to break it to you but I have dealt with Swaro CS twice and both times the guy was a [bleep] dick. Yet Swaro is supposed to be the best.
Posted By: SteveC99 Re: Maven binoculars - 02/12/16
This poor service "chitty" company stuff is absolute 180* away from the three owners of the company and their philosophy. I have always found them to be polite, knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile. If I had had different experiences than I have, I would not now own Maven binoculars.

Now it is pretty obvious one company can't produce binoculars that suit everybody. Nor can one companies policies suit everybody. These guys know they have an uphill battle to establish themselves. In light of that last sentence, I have found them to be willing to take one or two on the chin for the good of their reputation. The chances are high they have taken a few of those they need not have taken.

So the choice is up to you. Go with the new guy or follow a more traditional choice. Up to you, I really don't care. Like any company they have a return policy. Theirs is 15 days. Try it and return it if you don't like it. Try a stock model first. They may well not like having to redo all of your personal options if you customize the glass.
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Get a set of Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42 for $179 and don't look back. I just got a pair, and am really amazed at how good they are. You will pay a lot more money for very little more glass.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
I went by their booth in SLC this weekend and looked at one of their new spotting scopes that are about to be released. This little hipster looking guy walks over and I started asking questions and he was absolutely clueless. To be honest, I'm stunned they let that guy work the booth and represent their company. He kept telling me that they were the best and when I asked how they compared to the Meopta S2 spotting scope he didn't know what Meopta was. Unbelievable. He used a few talking points but had no answers to questions. He had to ask the other guy working the booth with him

The spotting scope looked fine but I found it to be heavy. I don't know, the optics seem to be on par with Vortex which isn't horrible and they have the customization option which will be their calling card I'm sure.

Edit to add that the optics seemed sturdy. The glass was fine, comparable to the better Vortex optics but they had better get somebody that knows their products if they are going to have him working a booth where hardcore hunters are asking questions. You cannot have that as a first impression

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Have run into the same sort of thing at many shows, with many different products. But sometimes it's occurred with much larger optics companies.
Posted By: CBB Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
I was as the GAOS This weekend. I looked at Steiner, Zeiss, Vortex, Meopta, Tract and the Maven.

I was most disappointed that the 2016 Diamondbacks were not there for testing. I Looked at the Viper HD, and CrossfireII.
I think the crossfire were junk, alot of distortion away from center, the Viper HD were nice clear but the rep didn't have alot of knowledge and the Votex scopes were selling like hotcakes which made it hard to not be crowded at the booth..

I feel the Meopta Meostar and Meopro were good glass but seemed like they were tinted a bit. The show prices were higher than what Cameraland lists on their website, but I was close to purchasing Meostars.

The Zeiss Terra were not impressive at all. Conquest were very solid. I liked them.

The Steiners Predator didn't impress, they ranked between the Crossfire and the Vipers to me.

The Tract seemed light and fragile, again an unknowledgeable booth attendant. Overall not impressed with them.

I found the Maven to be on par with the Zeiss Conquest and slightly ahead of the Meopta and Viper.

I really wish the optics booths would have been closer together, all in the same room. This show is huge and we covered alot of ground going back and forth. With the rooms having different lighting it was hard to compare apples to apples, especially indoors.

At the end, I almost left without new glass. But I kept thinking about the Maven.. I bought a set of demos in the B1 Grey body in 8x42 and 700$ I toyed with them in the vehicle on the way home and feel I made a great decision. I plan to get them out this eveing and glass some fields and put them through some real paces.

I am not an optics expert, so don't kick me in the balls for my statements made here. I do realize that testing glass indoors is not a good representative of their true performance. I have owned 4 sets of Leupolds in the 120$ - 400$ range and they just haven't held up to my abuses. It was time for me to try another brand.

Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Were the Meostars HD?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by starsky

And you guessing as per usual.

The only thing I am guessing about is that they might not be around in a few years. Many start up companies don't make it. Then where's your warranty?

I have owned 4 sets of Leupolds in the 120$ - 400$ range and they just haven't held up to my abuses. It was time for me to try another brand.

Leupold binoculars are typically pretty robust. Can't wait to see how the Maven's fare. If you have been limited to $125-$400 on binoculars, spending $700 may make you be more careful with them so they will probably hold up fine.
I honestly cannot recall if the Meo's were HD glass or not.

Yes, I will likely care for these better, due to cost alone.

Yes, I have some concerns about the longevity of the company, and there being someone to fill the warranty should an issue arise. I am hoping that from the amount of sales I saw yesterday they will be around a while. While I was at the booth I witnessed at least 5 sales. I would have to guess they made many more throughout the entire show. I guess time will tell...
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I went by their booth in SLC this weekend and looked at one of their new spotting scopes that are about to be released. This little hipster looking guy walks over and I started asking questions and he was absolutely clueless. To be honest, I'm stunned they let that guy work the booth and represent their company.

No Mavens for me this weekend but I went to our regional PNW show and stopped by the Gunwerks and MOA Rifle booths. Neither knew much about their products. I figured the knowledgeable people were at the SLC show and GAOS.
Posted By: Fire Hawk Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Hunt Sonora, I also stopped at the Maven booth this past weekend in SLC to look through the binos. The "hipster" kid is named Craig and he took so much time to discuss the binos with me and answer my incessant questions. He just started working for them 4 weeks ago to help during their shows but is a photographer and was very helpful to me. The other gentlemen there is one of the owners and he was also excellent to talk to about things that Craig couldn't help with. Craig mostly knew his stuff regarding the binos, but I didn't ask about the spotter. I did hear them say that it would be available next month.

I was impressed enough that I returned to their booth after going to many others to look through binos and I left with a Maven B2 9x45. I can't wait to get them out and really stretch their legs.

FH

I went up and glassed some deer from 100-500 yards this evening. I also just focused and glassed the far hillsides.

I can honestly say I am completely satisfied. The clarity and detail in everything I looked at was simply amazing. As stated in my earlier post, this glass is definitely a good cut above what I am used to.

We stuck it out as the light faded and kept the eyes on the deer and the surrounding woods. They gathered light quite well and it would have been easy to see past legal hours.
Posted By: kingston Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Were the Meostars HD?

8x32 Meostars don't come in HD. The Cabela's Euro 8x32 HD are an exclusive. I've looked through them at Cabela's comparing them to the Swarovski EL 8x32 and couldn't justify spending more on the EL based solely on view or function. I wear glasses. The only thing I didn't like about the Euro was the color. They are a huge bargain. Next time they're on sale I'm buying a pair.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk
Hunt Sonora, I also stopped at the Maven booth this past weekend in SLC to look through the binos. The "hipster" kid is named Craig and he took so much time to discuss the binos with me and answer my incessant questions. He just started working for them 4 weeks ago to help during their shows but is a photographer and was very helpful to me. The other gentlemen there is one of the owners and he was also excellent to talk to about things that Craig couldn't help with. Craig mostly knew his stuff regarding the binos, but I didn't ask about the spotter. I did hear them say that it would be available next month.

I was impressed enough that I returned to their booth after going to many others to look through binos and I left with a Maven B2 9x45. I can't wait to get them out and really stretch their legs.

FH

He was a nice kid but I was just really surprised he didn't know who Meopta was and kept saying that they were "like Swarovski". Look, I hope it all works out for them. Competition is great and as a consumer I want to have more and more quality products to choose from but when you're a relatively new company to the industry you better have your best guys at shows like the Expo. That is one of their core demographics and there are a lot of hardcore guys there that are going to ask questions and when you get somebody that cannot answer relatively easy questions it doesn't look good.

The good thing for them is that if they do indeed have a quality product they'll have staying power so we'll see.

Looking forward to a review
Posted By: SLM Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Did anyone that was at their booth see or hear anything about the 7X that were mentioned earlier?
Posted By: Fire Hawk Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
They mentioned the 7x being available but did not have it at the SLC show.
Originally Posted by kingston
Were the Meostars HD?

8x32 Meostars don't come in HD. The Cabela's Euro 8x32 HD are an exclusive.

True, but there's nothing indicating CBB was looking at, or bought, 8x32s unless I missed it. The Tract binoculars he mentioned are only shown in x42 on their website.
Posted By: SLM Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Thanks.
Were the Meostars HD?

True, but there's nothing indicating CBB was looking at, or bought, 8x32s unless I missed it. The Tract binoculars he mentioned are only shown in x42 on their website.

Correct, I only looked at 42s and larger with the exception being Zeiss. I did handle the Conquest in 32.
here's an in depth review vs the Meopta

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/329-maven-b1-10x42-binoculars

and another on the B3 line
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/337-maven-optics-b3-review
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
WRO,

Dunno who you are, but my real name is public on this site. For a "stumphumper magazine writer" I do a have a little knowledge of optics, having published two books on the subject, the first of which was considered a major reference for many years,.

Aside from using a pile of optics over several decades, have visited several optics factories and had many discussions with their engineers. Oh, and was the first optics columnist for a major hunting magazine, starting 25 years ago with Petersen's Hunting, one reason I've been able to look through hundreds of different binoculars.

I can throw around terms like chromatic aberration with the best of them, but part of what I normally do when evaluating binoculars is compare their view with the closest magnification/objective size binocular from the so-called Big Three, in both "normal" and dim light. If that's not possible, I have several dozen other binoculars on hand from various manufacturers, so am usually able to make a comparison with other binoculars on the same price-class. I often ave other people make the same sorts of comparisons, and even if most aren't as quite as optically sophisticated as you, their opinions do count for something, because after all most optics are sold to average people.

I also am quite familiar with the old Bruntons, and agree they weren't nearly worth the price at the time. But optics have changed since then.
Thanks for the links CBB.
Posted By: kingston Re: Maven binoculars - 02/14/16
Were the Meostars HD?

You asked if the MeoStars were HD.

The OP started this thread asking about 8x30 binoculars.
Per usual, the thread ceased being about the OP's question by about post three. And I wasn't asking the OP, I was asking the person I replied to. But whatever.
Posted By: Fire Hawk Re: Maven binoculars - 02/16/16
FWIW, I will be keeping my 9x45 B2 bino. It is absolutely impressive to my eyes. Very sharp and bright optics and I will likely be selling my Leica Duovids (8-12) in the next few weeks.
Posted By: WRO Re: Maven binoculars - 02/19/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WRO,

Dunno who you are, but my real name is public on this site. For a "stumphumper magazine writer" I do a have a little knowledge of optics, having published two books on the subject, the first of which was considered a major reference for many years,.

Aside from using a pile of optics over several decades, have visited several optics factories and had many discussions with their engineers. Oh, and was the first optics columnist for a major hunting magazine, starting 25 years ago with Petersen's Hunting, one reason I've been able to look through hundreds of different binoculars.

I can throw around terms like chromatic aberration with the best of them, but part of what I normally do when evaluating binoculars is compare their view with the closest magnification/objective size binocular from the so-called Big Three, in both "normal" and dim light. If that's not possible, I have several dozen other binoculars on hand from various manufacturers, so am usually able to make a comparison with other binoculars on the same price-class. I often ave other people make the same sorts of comparisons, and even if most aren't as quite as optically sophisticated as you, their opinions do count for something, because after all most optics are sold to average people.

I also am quite familiar with the old Bruntons, and agree they weren't nearly worth the price at the time. But optics have changed since then.

I'm sure you do, Typically reading field and stream, petersens, etc.. A lot of them have no clue what they are looking at or how to evaluate optics. Case in point, the Zeiss terra being the optic of the year a few years ago. The only thing worse IMHO than the terras are my daughters Dora the Epxlorer glasses, and I still think they may have a little better QC.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Maven binoculars - 02/19/16
So have you actually looked through any kind of Maven binoculars, or are you still basing your opinion on what your friend said?
© 24hourcampfire