Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I honestly cannot recall if the Meo's were HD glass or not.

Yes, I will likely care for these better, due to cost alone.

Yes, I have some concerns about the longevity of the company, and there being someone to fill the warranty should an issue arise. I am hoping that from the amount of sales I saw yesterday they will be around a while. While I was at the booth I witnessed at least 5 sales. I would have to guess they made many more throughout the entire show. I guess time will tell...

Hunt...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I went by their booth in SLC this weekend and looked at one of their new spotting scopes that are about to be released. This little hipster looking guy walks over and I started asking questions and he was absolutely clueless. To be honest, I'm stunned they let that guy work the booth and represent their company.

No Mavens for me this weekend but I went to our regional PNW show and stopped by the Gunwerks and MOA Rifle booths. Neither knew much about their products. I figured the knowledgeable people were at the SLC show and GAOS.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hunt Sonora, I also stopped at the Maven booth this past weekend in SLC to look through the binos. The "hipster" kid is named Craig and he took so much time to discuss the binos with me and answer my incessant questions. He just started working for them 4 weeks ago to help during their shows but is a photographer and was very helpful to me. The other gentlemen there is one of the owners and he was also excellent to talk to about things that Craig couldn't help with. Craig mostly knew his stuff regarding the binos, but I didn't ask about the spotter. I did hear them say that it would be available next month.

I was impressed enough that I returned to their booth after going to many others to look through binos and I left with a Maven B2 9x45. I can't wait to get them out and really stretch their legs.

FH

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I went up and glassed some deer from 100-500 yards this evening. I also just focused and glassed the far hillsides.

I can honestly say I am completely satisfied. The clarity and detail in everything I looked at was simply amazing. As stated in my earlier post, this glass is definitely a good cut above what I am used to.

We stuck it out as the light faded and kept the eyes on the deer and the surrounding woods. They gathered light quite well and it would have been easy to see past legal hours.

Hunt...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Were the Meostars HD?

8x32 Meostars don't come in HD. The Cabela's Euro 8x32 HD are an exclusive. I've looked through them at Cabela's comparing them to the Swarovski EL 8x32 and couldn't justify spending more on the EL based solely on view or function. I wear glasses. The only thing I didn't like about the Euro was the color. They are a huge bargain. Next time they're on sale I'm buying a pair.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fire Hawk
Hunt Sonora, I also stopped at the Maven booth this past weekend in SLC to look through the binos. The "hipster" kid is named Craig and he took so much time to discuss the binos with me and answer my incessant questions. He just started working for them 4 weeks ago to help during their shows but is a photographer and was very helpful to me. The other gentlemen there is one of the owners and he was also excellent to talk to about things that Craig couldn't help with. Craig mostly knew his stuff regarding the binos, but I didn't ask about the spotter. I did hear them say that it would be available next month.

I was impressed enough that I returned to their booth after going to many others to look through binos and I left with a Maven B2 9x45. I can't wait to get them out and really stretch their legs.

FH

He was a nice kid but I was just really surprised he didn't know who Meopta was and kept saying that they were "like Swarovski". Look, I hope it all works out for them. Competition is great and as a consumer I want to have more and more quality products to choose from but when you're a relatively new company to the industry you better have your best guys at shows like the Expo. That is one of their core demographics and there are a lot of hardcore guys there that are going to ask questions and when you get somebody that cannot answer relatively easy questions it doesn't look good.

The good thing for them is that if they do indeed have a quality product they'll have staying power so we'll see.

Looking forward to a review

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Did anyone that was at their booth see or hear anything about the 7X that were mentioned earlier?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
They mentioned the 7x being available but did not have it at the SLC show.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Were the Meostars HD?

8x32 Meostars don't come in HD. The Cabela's Euro 8x32 HD are an exclusive.

True, but there's nothing indicating CBB was looking at, or bought, 8x32s unless I missed it. The Tract binoculars he mentioned are only shown in x42 on their website.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks.

IC B3

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Were the Meostars HD?

True, but there's nothing indicating CBB was looking at, or bought, 8x32s unless I missed it. The Tract binoculars he mentioned are only shown in x42 on their website.

Correct, I only looked at 42s and larger with the exception being Zeiss. I did handle the Conquest in 32.

Hunt...
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Last edited by CBB; 02/14/16.

Hunt...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
WRO,

Dunno who you are, but my real name is public on this site. For a "stumphumper magazine writer" I do a have a little knowledge of optics, having published two books on the subject, the first of which was considered a major reference for many years,.

Aside from using a pile of optics over several decades, have visited several optics factories and had many discussions with their engineers. Oh, and was the first optics columnist for a major hunting magazine, starting 25 years ago with Petersen's Hunting, one reason I've been able to look through hundreds of different binoculars.

I can throw around terms like chromatic aberration with the best of them, but part of what I normally do when evaluating binoculars is compare their view with the closest magnification/objective size binocular from the so-called Big Three, in both "normal" and dim light. If that's not possible, I have several dozen other binoculars on hand from various manufacturers, so am usually able to make a comparison with other binoculars on the same price-class. I often ave other people make the same sorts of comparisons, and even if most aren't as quite as optically sophisticated as you, their opinions do count for something, because after all most optics are sold to average people.

I also am quite familiar with the old Bruntons, and agree they weren't nearly worth the price at the time. But optics have changed since then.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the links CBB.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Were the Meostars HD?

You asked if the MeoStars were HD.

The OP started this thread asking about 8x30 binoculars.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Per usual, the thread ceased being about the OP's question by about post three. And I wasn't asking the OP, I was asking the person I replied to. But whatever.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
FWIW, I will be keeping my 9x45 B2 bino. It is absolutely impressive to my eyes. Very sharp and bright optics and I will likely be selling my Leica Duovids (8-12) in the next few weeks.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WRO,

Dunno who you are, but my real name is public on this site. For a "stumphumper magazine writer" I do a have a little knowledge of optics, having published two books on the subject, the first of which was considered a major reference for many years,.

Aside from using a pile of optics over several decades, have visited several optics factories and had many discussions with their engineers. Oh, and was the first optics columnist for a major hunting magazine, starting 25 years ago with Petersen's Hunting, one reason I've been able to look through hundreds of different binoculars.

I can throw around terms like chromatic aberration with the best of them, but part of what I normally do when evaluating binoculars is compare their view with the closest magnification/objective size binocular from the so-called Big Three, in both "normal" and dim light. If that's not possible, I have several dozen other binoculars on hand from various manufacturers, so am usually able to make a comparison with other binoculars on the same price-class. I often ave other people make the same sorts of comparisons, and even if most aren't as quite as optically sophisticated as you, their opinions do count for something, because after all most optics are sold to average people.

I also am quite familiar with the old Bruntons, and agree they weren't nearly worth the price at the time. But optics have changed since then.

I'm sure you do, Typically reading field and stream, petersens, etc.. A lot of them have no clue what they are looking at or how to evaluate optics. Case in point, the Zeiss terra being the optic of the year a few years ago. The only thing worse IMHO than the terras are my daughters Dora the Epxlorer glasses, and I still think they may have a little better QC.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
So have you actually looked through any kind of Maven binoculars, or are you still basing your opinion on what your friend said?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 163bc, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,647
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.