Home
Posted By: 340boy Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/08/17
Looking for rings and bases for a new Sako M85. I've read mixed reviews about their Optilok system and would like to get some educated opinions on same and also if anyone else makes rings and bases for the M85 and how they perform?
I absolutely say that Optilocks are the best option for Sako rifles. 24 Hour is the only website where I have seen them trashed and for no good reason. THey are dead reliable and leave no marks and if the charts are read correctly they provide perfect fit on a Sako rifle.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/08/17
Oldelk,
Thank you! Funny you would mention that-where I read the negative things about the Optilok *was* here on the
Fire.
I have no problem with Optilocks except that the 2 piece are way too heavy for what is sold as a lightweight gun. Why would I want to use rings and bases as heavy as some scopes on a light weight rifle?

The Optilock ringmount is fine but will only accommodate about a 42mm objective.

Leupold makes even lighter ringmounts but they need to be at least half way down the dovetail to grip so scope tube length VS eye relief could be a problem with some action lengths and some scopes.

Talley makes bases and rings.

Near MFG makes a picatinny rail

Some others I can't think of right now too.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/08/17
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I have no problem with Optilocks except that the 2 piece are way too heavy for what is sold as a lightweight gun. Why would I want to use rings and bases as heavy as some scopes on a light weight rifle?

The Optilock ringmount is fine but will only accommodate about a 42mm objective.

Leupold makes even lighter ringmounts but they need to be at least half way down the dovetail to grip so scope tube length VS eye relief could be a problem with some action lengths and some scopes.

Talley makes bases and rings.

Near MFG makes a picatinny rail

Some others I can't think of right now too.
Good info! Thank you.

Only a 42mm objective? Hmmm, that could be an issue as I am thinking of a 4-12X50 for this rifle.;
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/08/17
I've always used the Sako ring mounts on my Sakos and love them. They have different heights so you will be able to get them to work with your 50mm scope.

I tried the Near rail and it was a no go for me....I had ejection issues with my 25-06. Would hit the rail about half the time and drop back into the action. Never an issue with the Optiloks.
Posted By: masrx Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/09/17
I use the optilocks on mine with a 50 mm scope, no trouble. I don't remember the height but they have a chart on the website
Are you guys talking about different heights with the Optilock Ringmount? The Ringmount is one piece. I've never seen them in different heights but Sako may be offering some now as I haven't checked in a couple years.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/09/17
Are you guys talking about different heights with the Optilock Ringmount? The Ringmount is one piece. I've never seen them in different heights but Sako may be offering some now as I haven't checked in a couple years.

According to their site they have different hieghts. I've only used lows myself...
WIth a 2 piece optilock and xtra low rings you can mount a 4-12x50 Z3 and it will have perfect clearance on the rifle . I mounted a S&B Classic 2.5-10x56 using optilock lows and could have gotten away with xtralow 30mm rings. Fit was about perfect anyway
I have used the optilocks on 2 Sako 85's and have no complaints. Not sure if I care for the plastic in the rings but it does not seem to affect accuracy IME.

As stated above Near Manufacturing makes a mount for the Sako 85. Richard Nears products are as well made as I have seen. If I was installing on a true long range rig I would go that route.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob
Posted By: 340boy Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/09/17
Bob,
I will give Nears a look. Thanks for the help!

Tim
Originally Posted by scottishkat
I have used the optilocks on 2 Sako 85's and have no complaints. Not sure if I care for the plastic in the rings but it does not seem to affect accuracy IME.

As stated above Near Manufacturing makes a mount for the Sako 85. Richard Nears products are as well made as I have seen. If I was installing on a true long range rig I would go that route.

Bob

I wish all rings came that way to be quite honest. Near rings and bases are a thing of beauty and should be classified as modern art.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by scottishkat

Bob

I wish all rings came that way to be quite honest. Near rings and bases are a thing of beauty and should be classified as modern art.

Yes,I agree. OP could get into a set for just under $500.
I own 3 SAKO 85 Classics and have Optilocks on all three. You just need to know objective size to get the right ring height.

Posted By: GaryVA Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/09/17
Sako Optilocks are the ticket on a Sako. If they fit, I favor the 1-pc Optilock Ringmounts, if not, I'd still favor the 2-pc Optilocks over aftermarket.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/09/17
Wesheltonj and Gary,
Thanks for the input, fellows!
smile
Optilocks are good solid mounts but there is no excuse to have to put those heavy two piece mounts on a light weight rifle. Sako really needs to up their game and design some good light weight mounts.

In general the screws are all a bit soft on Optilocks. The design self tightens the base screw and can sometimes be very hard to loosen without stripping. A good tip for loosening them is to remove the scope first from the rings and then tap the base to the rear of the gun using a hammer and a thin block of wood. All it takes is a light tap and the base screws will then be easy to turn.
The above is untrue based on my experience with new Optilocks. Old mounts from years back, but my Sako mounts from recent years use the exact same torx head base mount screws as they use for their action screws. They are rated way higher then the torque specs for there use on the Sako. 57-inch pounds for use as action screws, and 45-inch pounds for use as base mounts. I've removed and replaced one set on one of my rifles well over 30 times, maybe as many as 50 times, the last 6-years, and they are still like new. That particular rifle shoots well and holds torque with the action screws set at 45-inch pounds, same as the Optilocks. I keep a compact Felo torque driver with the rifle to remove scope to use the fixed sights, and remove the stock for travel. I throw it back together at 45, and have not worn out a screw.
Good for you Gary. I guess I got a bad batch.Your experience may be different than mine, but that doesn't make either experience untrue,unless one of us is lying.
Some of the old screws were reported soft, way back, but the later screws are rated over 100-in pounds. In addition, The Optilocks use a locator pin stop. Never had the Optilocks torqued at 45, push past the pin stop from recoil.

Not saying you are being untruthful with past experience. Just saying this is untrue with the later stuff.
I made below post years back when you and other guys were complaining about the old metric Allen screws.

Originally Posted by GaryVA
This may be of help. I have the latest/current Optilocks and they do not use these older metric allen screws which you guys hate. My latest Optilocks use Torx T10s for the ring caps and Torx T25s for the ring to base and mounting clamp screws. The T10 cap screws are spec'd for 15in-lbs and the T25 base and clamp screws are spec'd for 45in-lbs. The Torx heads on these base screws are the same as the T25 front and rear action screws which Sako is torquing into the receiver at a spec of 55 to 57in-lbs. That's 12in-lbs higher than needed for the Optilock mounting base screws. I've torqued, removed and retorqued the cap screws three different times, I've done this with the base clamp screws about a dozen times, and I've done this with the action screws about a half dozen times. So far, they are all in perfect shape without a mark or blemish. The torx bit bites hard and I cannot see how anyone could damage these screws without using a bad bit and/or torquing way, way over spec.

I'd think at some point you should be able to order these torx screws as replacements over the older metric allen screws which are disliked. Brownell's carries the Optilocks, so they may have the Optilock small parts. If they do and you can get Military, LEO, or Dealer pricing, replacements would be inexpensive.

Best smile

A Torx T25 is normally spec'd to handle a max torque of around 140in-lb, with a T10 maxing out at around 30in-lb. Based on my latest Optilocks, I think a person need be ham fisted while grossly overtorquing the screws to cause damage. I'm using my T25s to remove and replace the scope and mounts to address the iron sights. I plan on retorquing these clamp screws scores of times and will let you guys know if I manage to wear them out. I've already retorqued the smaller T10 cap screws several times and they remain pristine, so I'd imagine they'd last a lifetime with proper care.

Best smile

So yes, untrue.
Good for you Gary. I guess I got a bad batch.Your experience may be different than mine, but that doesn't make either experience untrue,unless one of us is lying.

The old allen screws were soft but the use of a stainless allen wrench that was provided made matters worse. Using a carbon steel allen wrench solved all the issues with the old allen screws.

The new hex screws are very very good and never had one single issue with them.
I'm a sako nut, and over time I've moved from the standard 2 piece, to the ring mounts.

They are plenty strong, and reduce weight and I think they look better as well.
I use Talley bases & Screw Lock Q.D. rings. They are the absolute toughest & lightweight mounting system. They also return to zero perfectly with every detachment.

I did not like the added weight of the Optilocks.
As I have said I own 3 SAKO Classics, all 3 with Optilocks. I don't know which SAKO 85 you bought. Assuming its the Classic or above, you drop $2k on a gun, why would you even think of using Aftermarket rings and bases. Stick with the the Optilock, and don't listen to the Talley fanboys. It not like you are mounting a Zeiss scope with rail and need the Zeiss mount.

I would also suggest that you check out Sakocollectors.com.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/10/17
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
As I have said I own 3 SAKO Classics, all 3 with Optilocks. I don't know which SAKO 85 you bought. Assuming its the Classic or above, you drop $2k on a gun, why would you even think of using Aftermarket rings and bases. Stick with the the Optilock, and don't listen to the Talley fanboys. It not like you are mounting a Zeiss scope with rail and need the Zeiss mount.

I bought a Finnlight in 300 Win Mag. Scope will (probably) be a Swaro 4-12X50mm. This is my first Sako, so all the input on rings and bases is MUCH appreciated. smile
Posted By: zeissman Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/11/17
Originally Posted by harv3589
I've always used the Sako ring mounts on my Sakos and love them. They have different heights so you will be able to get them to work with your 50mm scope.

As far as I know the much lighter 1 piece Sako Optilock Ringmounts still only come in one height. The heavy 2 piece ring and base Optilocks come in different heights.

Originally Posted by 340boy

I bought a Finnlight in 300 Win Mag. Scope will (probably) be a Swaro 4-12X50mm. This is my first Sako, so all the input on rings and bases is MUCH appreciated. smile

Make sure you get the long bases and xtra low rings. Perfect fit

S1700957 = blued S170R957=Stainless Steel
I have 42mm scopes and use the low. That's what Euro-Optics recommended.

What kind of scope and action length of rifle? Does not sound even remotely correct.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/11/17
I use the low ringmounts for my Leupold 6x42. Lots of room

What kind of scope and action length of rifle? Does not sound even remotely correct.

308 Classic short action w/ Leica ER 3.5-14x42 scope
300 Classic long action w/ Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope
375 Classic long action w/ Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope

308 Classic short action w/ Leica ER 3.5-14x42 scope
300 Classic long action w/ Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope
375 Classic long action w/ Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scope

Xtra low optilocks will work perfectly. I have a 2-10x56 S&B Classic and it fits with lows

There would be zero chance of mounting talleys on a sako absolutely zero. They just do not have the quality
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/11/17
Originally Posted by zeissman

As far as I know the much lighter 1 piece Sako Optilock Ringmounts still only come in one height. The heavy 2 piece ring and base Optilocks come in different heights.

[Linked Image]

I'm using these, the Sako 1-pc Optilock Ringmounts. Back when I first got these, they only came in the 3-sizes listed on the package. They are lower than the x-tra low 2-pc Optilocks, and are cleaner with less bulk. They require a Torx key to loosen, but Sako published that they are designed to be removed and replaced without loss of zero. They have a solid fit with a positive stop. I much prefer these over the 2-pc, but would go 2-pc if 1-pc did not fit.

Thought they later came in medium and stainless.
Posted By: harv3589 Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/11/17
Anyone ever tried the Burris extreme tactical picatinny bases for the sako dovetails?
Posted By: zeissman Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/12/17

Are you using the Optilock Ringmounts or the Optilock rings in low with the Optilock bases? Two completely different mounting systems?
Posted By: zeissman Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/12/17
[Linked Image]

I'm using these, the Sako 1-pc Optilock Ringmounts. Back when I first got these, they only came in the 3-sizes listed on the package. They are lower than the x-tra low 2-pc Optilocks, and are cleaner with less bulk. They require a Torx key to loosen, but Sako published that they are designed to be removed and replaced without loss of zero. They have a solid fit with a positive stop. I much prefer these over the 2-pc, but would go 2-pc if 1-pc did not fit.

Thought they later came in medium and stainless.

The 1-piece Optilock Ringmount is available in 1" and 30mm blued and stainless. It is as far as I know still only available in the one height which is okay for up to 42mm with a little to spare.

Posted By: harv3589 Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/12/17
Originally Posted by zeissman

Are you using the Optilock Ringmounts or the Optilock rings in low with the Optilock bases? Two completely different mounting systems?

Ringmounts, one piece system.
Posted By: kingston Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/19/17
What action size?

I have a NEAR rail on an 85XS and it's flawless.

I prefer 1 piece Optilocks over 2 piece Optilocks, if they'll work with the scope.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11546441/Searchpage/1/Main/794712/Words/Sako+/Search/true/Re:_Anyone_use_a_Near_rail_on_#Post11546441
Near Base on Sako 85XS
Page 3 and 3 of this thread might be of interest.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11199423/2
Posted By: 340boy Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/19/17
Kingston,
Thanks for the links. Action is "L". 300Win Mag.
Scope? The tube length will be the issue between 1 and two piece with a 42mm objective. SAKO tapered dovetails are a PIA.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Rings/bases for Sako M85? - 01/19/17
Originally Posted by kingston
Scope?

Probably a Swarovski 3.5-10X42 or perhaps the 4-12X50.

© 24hourcampfire