Home
Posted By: ULA24 Who carries a survival kit? - 04/01/08
Anyone take survival kits hunting? You know, mirror, whistle, fishing line, whatever.

What's in yours?
I do, pretty much year round given the terrain around these parts.

here is a thread in the backpacking forum with my list and pics.

lots of others piped up too.

smile
Mylar blanket, compass, lighter and matches, parachute cord, candle, mirror, sewing kit, knife. Maybe a few other gadgets. Light and compact. I also carry a water filter in my pack.

added after reading others: I do carry a GPS but basically consider it a convenience since when Murphy strikes the batteries will be dead. LED headlight, once I discovered these I don't know how I survived, I try to have all my gadgets use one size battery. I actually carry several pairs of gloves and at least one pair of mittens. Fleece don't weigh much but cold hands won't be able to work that lighter. Waterproof outerlayer is a must. I think I could survive with my warm mittens and waterproof layer without a fire (don't want to try though). I generally don't carry fishing line or hooks. I may have a surgical stapler along.
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/01/08
Sounds like you guys have this down pat.
Oh, yes. Pretty much the same stuff as everybody else: basic first-aid kit, and stuff to keep me warm, dry, hydrated and reasonably well-fed for at least 2-3 days. Very important here in Montana is some way of EASILY starting a fire when your hands might be half-frozen. I generally carry at least two different methods.

Of course, one of the other basics is to tell somebody where you're going, so they can find you in 2-3 days if something goes really wrong.
If I step out of camp with my rifle I have sufficient gear to last 2-3 days under the expected conditions Im at. The gear will be altered slightly if it is a July scouting trip at 100 degrees or if it's late October and Im expecting snow.

Making fire, staying dry and being able to communicate/signal are the basics of my kit. I keep a kit most of it in a small pouch in my cargo pocket of my pants but some extra stuff in the pack. I figure as long as my left leg is still attached I can survive. If my leg is missing having a signal mirror or extra lighter probably will not help a whole lot...

Pretty much Supercrewd's list with GPS also and fire-starter, and a whistle which is very much louder than a shout. I have also decided that on any true wilderness trips from now on I will have a sat phone along.

Gdv
Just champaign for my buddies in case I would collect a big trophy laugh

Mine stuff is in a small stuff bag that I can switch between packs even if I am taking a small pack for a evening hunt it always there it won't do you any good if you don't have it.
One folding knife, a leatherman, matches, rope, a little water, rain gear, Minnie Mag LED flashlight, and some snack type stuff to overnight if truly needed. A compass and gps if in a true wilderness situation where fog or snow might hinder navigation.

I don't panic much about bandages, fishing gear, or great quantities of water. I can cut/tear up t-shirts or game bags as emergency bandages. If water means life or death, I'll drink what ever I find and fight the bugs with medication in a couple of weeks. With 45 seasons of hunting behind me, I've never really needed any of that in an emergency situation, but I am cautious out there.

I don't bother with whistles as I can fabricate one from a cartridge, and my 30-378 makes a fair bit of noise too.

As to communication, one of the reasons I'm out is to escape being in touch. A partner will know what drainage or ridge system I'm working, and I leave the wife with GPS coordinates for camp. She nor anyone else outside of my immediate party will hear a word from me for 2 to 3 weeks if that's the duration of the trip. No one worries until one of us is 24 hours overdue.
Bottle of 100 proof hootch and a hand gernade.....
I take alot of stuff that is dual purpose. The small piece of 5/16th inch ensolite pad I carry to sit on, can be used to sleep on as well. I always have some sort of water proof shell. I always have at least two sets of tear open, 7 hr., chemical hand warmers. Matches and a lighter. Lights, two. One photon light and one headlamp. Extra food, like Power Bars. Extra water or the means to get more.
I sometimes camp using just minimum gear when I want to be on the move alot. Wrap myself in a tarp/bivy sack and dress with all my clothing. Use the chemical hand warmers for warmth. Good practice for the real thing. Vital that you have confidence in your ability to spend an unexpected night out.
I never go so much as 50 yds. from my vehicle w/o the minimum. E
My kit is minimal. It fits in pants pocket and is with me at all times. Flint steel tinder matches. iodine pills for water. knife in pocket, snare wire suture kit. tin foil blanket which fits in a small dry mustard tin that has been with me for forty years. Compass in pocket. Leave location and game plan at home so if I am late returning help will be sent if 24 hours late.

At work now and kit is in pocket. When I say always I mean always.knife is stored in checked in luggage but flint and steel not considered incindiery.

Randy
Posted By: KC Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/01/08
I carry some basic survival stuff too, whenever I go hiking. It's just enough to survive (not necessarily be comfortable) an unplanned night or two out in the mountains. My stuff includes the following:

First Aid Kit - very basic but enough to treat one major wound and several minor injuries and minor inconveniences

Fire Starter Kit - includes waterproof matches, butane lighter, fire starter sticks - all in a waterproof container. Enough to get a fire going in the rain using wet wood.

Mylar Blanket - reflective, fits into the palm of my hand.

USGS Map & Compass

Swiss Army Knife

Mini-Mag Lite - with lithium batteries and LED conversion.

Bandanna

Foam Pad - 1/4 of a full sleeping pad.

Sierra Cup - for melting snow into drinking water.

Water Bottle

Parka - waterproof & breathable.

Knitted Hat & Gloves

Daypack - can be used to keep my feet warm.

This looks like a long list but all this stuff actually weighs only about 3 pounds.

http://hometown.aol.com/keenkc/Survival.html

KC
I wish I would need such equipments in my bush ...
Posted By: KC Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/02/08
Grand Veneur:

I suppose that there's not much wilderness is Belgium.

KC
Posted By: Pugs Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/02/08
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
I wish I would need such equipments in my bush ...

Come visit our bush, no wait, that'll get lost in translation blush Just come on over and have one of these fine gents show you some great country, literally from sea to sea.
I took a pic of mine for something to do tonight.

1-Two large trash bags- emergency poncho, shelter, waders, trash bags...
2-Leatherman
3-Matches and lighter
4-Shaving mirror- so I don't cut my own throat...
5-Knife sharpener- light and a buck and a half.
6-Headlamp- very light, came with Badlands pack, I actually do not keep this in the kit- batteries and all...
7-Candle- I think it is called a plumber's candle, been carrying this one for at least 10 years.
8-Compass and improvised case (old sewing kit)- I kept a few of the sewing items in case I need to do an in the field vasectomy or something.
9-Plastic rain poncho, never too dry.
10-Mylar blanket- NASA still swears by these things, don't they?
11-Whistle, and the rope to hang myself.
12-lightweight saw, this baby is sharp.
13-the infamous Glo-Mitts, they are actually in the pack.
14-Bag it all fits in easily-some old cosmetics bag if I remember right. Not mine! really! It all weighs 2 1/4 pounds.

No Parachute cord, now where did that go? I have a second one in the truck, must be in there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/02/08
Lots of very usefull thoughts and ideas posted.

Nice pictures Supercrewd.
Posted By: las Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/02/08
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Oh, yes. Pretty much the same stuff as everybody else: basic first-aid kit, and stuff to keep me warm, dry, hydrated and reasonably well-fed for at least 2-3 days. Very important here in Montana is some way of EASILY starting a fire when your hands might be half-frozen. I generally carry at least two different methods.

Of course, one of the other basics is to tell somebody where you're going, so they can find you in 2-3 days if something goes really wrong.

I carry two different methods of fire starting in at least two, usually 3, sometimes 4 locations (fanny /and/or day pack, main pack, first-aid kit). (Hey, I LIKE fire!) And I don't TELL anyone where I'm going, what I'm doing, and when I'll be back.

I write it down! With options. Preferably with a marked map. There's been some confusion in the past (and my wife accuses ME of not listening!). I want the damned proof on the table when I get back!!!

What's so hard to understand about "I'll be home Sunday night unless I get a moose. If I do get one, I'll be packing meat Monday (Labor Day), - be home then".?

I guy I had hunted once with two years before, told the Trooper making the initial inspection of my vehicleshortly after noon Monday at the trailhead - " Forget it. He might be dead, but he ain't lost. If he is lost, he'll find his way out, and it's in a place you won't find him anyway." (I was packing moose - ran into Bill later that afternoon).. I must have impressessed old Bill....

Considering how lost Bill and I were for half a day on that previous hunt, I've always wondered whether it was confidence in me, or potential revenge..... smile When we figured out where we were, we were two miles south of where we thought we should be, and the map was wrong. Really. The lake we were next to (from that big hilltop we were on) had a big island in it. Not shown on the map - covered by place name writing... We cross referenced several other landmarks to figure that one out. And then we knew where we were and how to get out of there to where we were supposed to be.. All this in a driving rain storm. Thank god the other Bill had a bottle of brandy (now there's a survival item, under some circumstances!) when we got to the rondy. Bill 2 had come in another way with his wife and son, using my canoe. Bill 1 and I had taken a "shortcut". smile

My day-pack or fanny-pack has a filter bottle, fire-starter, TP, cord, knife, spare (or even two) compass (Both times I've really needed the GPS, it was belly up - and I've lost or busted compasses - tho it took 13 years of packing two before I ever needed the second one. That year, I had two go bad on me....), some snacks, "hand-warmers" (stick one in either pants pocket, next to the femoral artery - be surprised how much warmer it will keep you, if necessary) and often, my quart canteen bottle in nested aluminum cup, with a couple pkgs. of hot chocolate or spiced cider mix, maybe a box of Jello (again a hypothermia warding precaution). Band-aids, salve, soap, moleskin, remnant of stretch-wrap (Vet-wrap), remnant of electrical tape, 20 feet of bright neon flagging ribbon ( I prefer hot pink), aspirin or Motrin, usually a small pocket notebook and pencil stub in a zip-lock. Remnant of waterproof medical tape. Map, of course - in thick, moose country, or unfamiliar country, often with a pertinent google- photo laminated back to back with it.

9 Cup Pot
Double Stuffed Down Jacket
Scandi Knife
Metal Match
Match Safe...with Compass
Tarp
Parachute Cord
Signal Mirror
Axe and/or Shovel if I want luxury.

The Kit allows me to
1) Make a fire
2) Make a Shelter
3) Stay Warm
4) Signal For Help
5) The pot allows for hydration

You know - considering all the different conditions we hunt in, either individually or as a group - sharing such lists is kinda silly( unless we get a new idea from someone!), since each list is only specific to that particular region, hunt, and season. My winter kit differs a little from the summer kit even in the same area/circumstances. Much depends on what wild resources are or are not available, and convenient, even on a seasonal basis in the same area. for example, I don't need bug dope in the winter, but it's in there in the summer!

My winter survival kit running with the snow machine in the Arctic contained matches, useful only for starting the one-burner I usually carried on the sled for making tea or hot Jello. Since there was no fuel, it sure wouldn't start a fire. If I could get it, I'd have a 6 inch square piece of muktuk -(whale skin with about an inch of blubber attached). Unless you got wet, this chunk of muktuk will keep your inner furnace stoked for 3 or 4 days, especially if holed up in a snow cave, or between sled and machine, with the tarp thrown over.. What I did carry as part of my Arctic survival kit on the sled, was a complete change of dry clothes, sleeping bag, and closed-cell pad in a water-proof case in case I put 'er through an over-flow (once), or otherwise got wet.

Sometimes....looking back, I can't believe the chit I got away with.....
I carry a setup based on the "Equipped to Survive" sites kits.

Doug Ritter has a sort of sliding scale for his kits. Take more as the risks increase.

It takes a little reading to understand the concepts but most of it makes sense.

He is of course making some of his living from the stuff he sells and it is easy to substitute for like items.

Priorities: Shelter, then fire , then water and finally food.

It varies a lot with the season and the locale I carry enough to overnight for deer hunting and enough to stay out 72 hours if I hunt off road in snow for elk.

It helped me immensely in reducing the amount of stuff I pack and still have what I need.

http://www.equipped.org/home.htm
I guess all I need then is one of those Metalic Matches when I'm moose hunting. wink Spruce woods is full of shelter and fuel. Walk a half mile in any direction and you'll find a lake - or at least a swamp - so much for water. Right now I'm carrying about 15 pounds of spare tire- that otta be good for 2 weeks. smile smile
Belgium is not very large but still very populated.

You can't hunt small games and birds without passing close to houses, roads and farms (and lots of people who think and claim game territories should be taken away from the hunters and exclusively allocated to sunday dog walks, biking and motor sports).

Big game territories are quite more wild (especially in the Bulge) but there is always a road or a buddy nearby and cell phones are functional in the most places.

There are actually no real risks ... Snakes bites ( ... I live in adder territory since i was a baby and never saw one but in the zoo grin sure they are there according to environment authorities but you simply never see them), accidental shooting (very very seldom ... barley never, and it is not the kind of risk I need), wounded boars (If you are not stupid enough to attempt to kill the strongest ones with your knife, a rifle shot will quickly solve the problem) and before winter breeze some angry hornets (I don't laugh with them ... they killed a friend's father two years ago ... but they are just insects).

You simply will nerver be bitten by a rattle snake, eaten by a bear, freezed by the winter or lost without food or water in the middle of nowhere. Not enough wild for me, but I try to take the best of it: hunting is still interesting ... small games and birds with a pointing dog, boars, roe deers and red stags in the forests, varmints in plains... I love it all. I can hunt all year long only a few minutes away from home. That's not deep wilderness, but that's cool anyhow.

I have seen North American wilderness once, spending some time far North Quebec. I will never forget and do my best to perform a hunt on such a territory at least once in my life. Central europe and eastern mountains sound good to me too. The only key is some money.

At the moment, it's good to read your adventures.
Posted By: rob p Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/02/08
When I was a kid, my older Brother got lost and spent a night in the Maine woods. He waited until morning and fired a shot every ten minutes until someone fired back and he could follow the shots out. A few hunters "go missing" up there every year, and I'm glad he wasn't one of them. I always take enough gear to get through a night in the woods whenever I go out. I started hunting in the Low Country in NC when I was 18 years old and the farmer we hunted with told us all not to go looking around in the woods. He said people go looking for their deer and get lost. There are a lot of wet places you can't get out from. That's why my gear travels with me too. I have a German canteen cup with a space blanket, poncho, survival matches, extra compass, flint & steel, knife... It goes with my field dressing zip lock full of stuff in whatever pack I bring out. You have to realize that your greatest risk is that you might fall and hurt yourself and not be able to get yourself out. Then the weather might get you. The ability to keep yourself warm and a tin cup to boil water is about all you need here.
One thing not touched on much, but if you've ever been seriously injured far off the beaten path (fractures, severe sprain, torn ligaments, etc), you will never go out and about without it again, is some sort of pain reliever(s).

At a minimum, Tylenol AND ibuprofen. Preferably something stronger, a strong narcotic or a powerful NSAID such as Toradol. This can turn an excruciating experience into just a major inconvenience. If you have to walk/crawl over several miles with a broken leg or similar, to avoid freezing to death, it can make the difference over life and death.
Rob p: Yes! That flint and steel is something I forgot about and do carry. It will always work, but one needs to train up a bit well before it's needed. Same thing if one is counting on a bow and drill to start a fire. We've all likely seen it done, but how many have really tried.

In my book the ability to think and act well before urgency sets in is paramount. I've not had to night out yet, but my buddies have been late to retreive me on some Hells Canyon boat outings and wondered why I had an expediency camp completely set up when they arrived well after dark. If it's possible one is going to overnight, start on affairs well before dark. It's much easier to come up with needed shelter makings, wood, water, and whatever when one can see the potentials in the surrounding landscape.
Knife in my pocket, space blanket, vet wrap, and matches in a heavy-duty garbage bag in my vest.

I won't be comfortable but I won't be dead either.
Good point about dealing with broken legs, etc. I started carrying an ACE bandage last year for use with a splint.
Kutenay made a point once that a bivy sack is much more practical in one way than a tent. If injured, you may not be able to erect a tent. But you probably could crawl into a bivy sack. Another point is that you may not be able to build a fire readily. But you could get into a bivy sack.
I also make it a habit to have at least one trekking pole along. E
Posted By: Pete E Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/02/08
As with others, my kit varies depending on where I am hunting and the time of year.

I very often don't have a separate survival kit as such but rather carry items in my hunting clothes, bumbag or daysack as requried.

I will generally have at least the following on me:

Waterproof clothing to suit the season.
Firelighting kit
Small first aid kit with a more extensive one in the vehicle.
1 watt LED Torch (small)
4 LED Headlamp
Double sided stainless steel signal mirror with hole in centre
Whistle
Map, Compass & GPS
2 Knives, (1 fixed blade & one folder) & small sharpening stone
Puritabs or similar
Cell phone and/or two way radio
Selection of small plastic bags
A couple of mars bars and perhaps some oxo cubes...

In more remote country I would add a plastic bivy bag and a strobe light and a steel cup or mess tin to brew up in....In my vehicle I'd have extra clothes and a sleeping bag plus other kit like a stove ect..

Below is a pic of the small first aid kit I made up..

[Linked Image]

Its covers most minor first aid needs that I've come across..

Half my pack is survival gear.

So far I've never needed much but I've never had to spend the night away from camp, either.

One elk hunt we were camped at 9000 feet, 1000 feet below the summit. A guy from a neighboring camp went out scouting the evening before opening day. Weather was nice and he wasn't going far so he took a light coat and went walking. A blizzard came up before he could get back to camp and he spent a miserable night under a tree. Next morning he comes out and goes to the hospital with frostbite.

Another time my buddy and I were turkey hunting in the mountains. It was getting on toward dark and we were driving back home when we picked up a hunter that was hitchhiking his way back to his truck. Good thing we picked him up because there wasn�t any traffic for miles and he was 3 miles from his truck and heading the wrong direction. Seems he had decided turkey hunting would be fun so he bought himself a shotgun. The shotgun and some shells were all he had with him when we picked him up � no coat, compass, maps, firestarter, water, nothing.

As long as he had one shell left he could have saved himself a long cold night.
Yes, I always do. Mine is mainly about as so many here. Something for shelter, fire, canteen and metal cup, a bit of food (usually a sandwich and candy bar), a couple of tea bags and sugar packs, First Aid, whistle, Mini Mag flashlights (2), compass (2) and map of area, Paper towels (instead of T.P.), 25 feet of 550 parachute cord and 25 feet of nylon carpenter's twine. I carry a lightweight rain suit. (Had to use that too often to leave it in camp!)

A 4" fixed blade hunting knife and my two old pocket knives: one a Camillus Stockman and the other a Camillus "Boy Scout" type knife. Pencil and paper in a ZipLok and some bright orange flagging tape.

Other than my firearm and clothing, that's about it for my "survival kit" in my daypack.. I've had to use it twice in the high country to overnight. California's high Sierra and Utah, deer hunting. Both times it was lightly snowing off and on. Wasn't any fun but I had no problems.

I am a very firm believer in Mr. Murphy. shocked

FWIW.

L.W.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/03/08
I do. Deer hunting, here in the temperate rain forest, it's pretty simple. Mostly a way to start fire and a space blanket. Elk hunting, where the climate is much more severe, it's some medical supplies- bandage, ibuprofen, aspirin, etc... a fire starting kit... a space blanket... a little spare compass... some braided salmon-fishing line (amazing stuff, and you can wrap a LOT of it around a twig).... a Snickers bar, because they are packed with peanuts and really satisfy <g>... and a radio and usually my cell phone too because it's also a camera.

I think this year I will add one of those very light yet tough and grommeted backpacking tarps.

I should add that my clothing itself is very much oriented around surviving. No cotton! Quality clothing and wicking layers are HUGE assets.

It's REALLY easy to go overboard. On the other hand, if you ever do have to spend the night out there, or cut yourself badly, or start getting severe chest pains, or whatever... you'll be glad you packed it around for the last 10 years in order to have it now! :-)

-jeff
Posted By: BMT Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/03/08
So, anybody ever take any TRAINING on how to use that stuff in the kit?

I went here:

http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com/courses/Wilderness.htm

The instructor was amazing, as was the course.

BMT

For years I taught wilderness first aid and also survival techniques in the northern part of Ontario. Most classes were taught on reserves to native Canadians. I always included elders from the communities to teach the youth they had knowledgable resources in their back yard. I also got to learn a lot on every course.

Practicing bush skills before needing them is the best way to keep your wits when all falls apart in the bush. I have eaten some interesting stuff over the years so that I know what is edible and what is not.

Randy
BMT - "So, anybody ever take any TRAINING on how to use that stuff in the kit?"

Lots of Boy Scout training (Eagle Scout). Some U.S. Army "survival" training. Plus just bustin' around out in the boonies for 50 years.

I'm trying to think of some piece of gear in my daypack I have NOT used at one time or the other, in my outdoor trips... and I can't think of any.

I'm certainly no expert at "outdoor survival," but do think I can manage to get through the night and next day until I can get back out to "civilization" (whatever that is wink ). I have done it before.

L.W.

Originally Posted by BMT
So, anybody ever take any TRAINING on how to use that stuff in the kit?

I think the biggest thing is to make good decisions from the start and not make mistakes that will cost you. Besides the parachute cord is to hang yourself if it gets too rough.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/05/08
I do carry a bit with me.

First aid kit. Includes first aid book, the usual 1st aid items, heavy drugs for pain, and "Quick Clot" blood coagulant powder. Nice to have a pack of that around the guns and sharp knives, and can save a life.

Fire Kit. Lighter, matches, steel wool, magnesium starter, candle.

Space blankets x 2.

40' of 550 cord.

Bit of duct tape.

LED headlamp, spare lithium batts.

Leatherman multi-tool.

"Extractor" snake and sting kit.

Water purification tablets. And I try to take plenty of water.

And finally, I just caved in and picked this up:

[Linked Image]

I hunt a remote part of AZ a lot, often alone, or with my son. It is a 50 mile and 3 hour drive on bad roads to get out to the nearest help, and forget about cell phones. Snakes are a big concern. If you get bit, you're on your own. Ran into several of the bastids last year. Main reason I bought this thing. That, and the thought that though I've prepared my son the best I can, and think he can handle himself, I fear something happening to me and him being caught alone out there. This will prevent that. Plus, it also gives me the option of daily check ins when I'm outside of cell phone coverage areas, which is often. For $150 (and $100 annual monitoring fee), it's relatively cheap peace of mind...considering what sat phones cost.

Depends on what Im doing. I always carry a leatherman belt knife/tool. The rest I can improvise.
I carry the basic stuff most have mentioned. If cold weather is possible, I carry an highway flare,one of the smaller types. I don't want to fool around trying to start a fire with a lighter or matches. Only time I needed a fire everthing was wet and cold and matches and lighters were useless.
Depends on how far back in the boonies that I get..this was my son's first year hunting after taking Hunters Ed last spring...

Seafire JR is also a Boy Scout with the rank of Star Scout, and he doesn't go in the back woods, even near home without his "Ten Essentials" kit...

Being a former army medic, I am pretty darn good at utilizing local resources in an emergency.. also learned a lot via being a scout and scouting leader... I do carry a compass tho, if I am going too far out into the back country...whistle and a Colt 45 and a Swiss Army Knife...and some matches in a waterproof container..

I have a survival kit that is attachable to my hunting pack. I keep it stocked and move it to any pack, or carry it solo, anytime I venture into the woods.

Here's my pack - you can see the survival kit on the outside. It's a real handy attachment.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...1118&shop_method=pp&feat=8884-tn

Here's a listing off the top of my head as to what's in my survival kit.

lighter, matches, whitle, extra compass, paracord, fixed blade knife, leatherman, 2 space blankets, 1st aid kit including 2 maxi pads for deep cuts, extra map, water purification tablets, flashlight, extra batteries, about 20 ft of orange survery's tape,& I'm sure some more I've forgotten, but knew I'd need sometime.

Never go into the woods without it, & don't permit my kids to without theirs either.

NH Hunter.
Posted By: johnw Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/08/08
Originally Posted by ULA24
Anyone take survival kits hunting? You know, mirror, whistle, fishing line, whatever.

What's in yours?

i call what i carry "comfort items"...
a golite poncho and a small msr locking top pot with some pouches of instant oatmeal and cocoa are in there...

i also carry enough of various firestarting materials and implements to suffice in most any conditions that i will face...

a few bandaids, antidiarhea pills, motrin, and benedryl take up an insignificant space, and are some of my most used, and often replaced things...

i always have a working led light on my keychain, and a knife in my pocket..... john w
Posted By: Boise Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 04/08/08
I go as light as possible while hunting Idaho. I carry water, a snack, two lighters, enough clothes to make it through the day, sometimes a flashlight, and always a firearm. Guessing some of you think me an idiot.

I've broken two bones in my foot while several miles out. It hurt to get back but I made it without any medication, the emergency room doctor was impressed.

I did put myself into a dangerous situation when my light went dead and I climb down a cliff and cross a river in darkness. I wasn't willing to spend the night.
I hunt in Northern and also central California where the weather in hunting season is generaly not too sever.
I always take a day pack with me. In it I carry a small first aid kit, a space blanket, a small metal cup, a small plastic flashlight with extra batteries, jerky and some freeze dried food, a lighter, matches and two small road flares. I first learned of the usefulness of a road flare with friends once in a heavy cold down pour. One of them dragged over a huge and very soaked dead log, popped a flare and stuck it in the log like a blow torch. In minutes we had a roaring fire with no effort. I never hunt without having a flare now.I also believe in having GPS. I also beleive that those GPS emergency Beacon devises would are a wise investment. Even the best of us could have an accident and break our leg way back in the sticks. Such a devise could be the difference between life and death. If the area you hunt has cell phone capability that's good too. My daughter after shooting her deer in the Shasta mountains, within minutes was on the phone to her friends four hundred miles away telling them about it.Kids!

Posted By: ULA24 Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 05/10/08
Road flare, good idea!
Originally Posted by Boise
I go as light as possible while hunting Idaho. I carry water, a snack, two lighters, enough clothes to make it through the day, sometimes a flashlight, and always a firearm. Guessing some of you think me an idiot.

I've broken two bones in my foot while several miles out. It hurt to get back but I made it without any medication, the emergency room doctor was impressed.

I did put myself into a dangerous situation when my light went dead and I climb down a cliff and cross a river in darkness. I wasn't willing to spend the night.

You can't be too big of an idiot.....

You're still alive wink
I understand the fuel tablets that the little fuel pellet stoves use is also excellent. Okanagan uses them for the wet areas he hunts in the PNW. E
Posted By: djb Re: Who carries a survival kit? - 05/11/08
My firstaid kits contains Aspirin as mentioned, this can help one survive a heart attack. I have not seen Benadryl mentioned. This can be very helpful in the event of an allergic reaction to stings, ivy or others.

The rest is the same: knife, firemaking, cord, etc.

Originally Posted by grand_veneur
Belgium is not very large but still very populated.

You can't hunt small games and birds without passing close to houses, roads and farms (and lots of people who think and claim game territories should be taken away from the hunters and exclusively allocated to sunday dog walks, biking and motor sports).

Big game territories are quite more wild (especially in the Bulge) but there is always a road or a buddy nearby and cell phones are functional in the most places.

There are actually no real risks ... Snakes bites ( ... I live in adder territory since i was a baby and never saw one but in the zoo grin sure they are there according to environment authorities but you simply never see them), accidental shooting (very very seldom ... barley never, and it is not the kind of risk I need), wounded boars (If you are not stupid enough to attempt to kill the strongest ones with your knife, a rifle shot will quickly solve the problem) and before winter breeze some angry hornets (I don't laugh with them ... they killed a friend's father two years ago ... but they are just insects).

You simply will nerver be bitten by a rattle snake, eaten by a bear, freezed by the winter or lost without food or water in the middle of nowhere. Not enough wild for me, but I try to take the best of it: hunting is still interesting ... small games and birds with a pointing dog, boars, roe deers and red stags in the forests, varmints in plains... I love it all. I can hunt all year long only a few minutes away from home. That's not deep wilderness, but that's cool anyhow.

I have seen North American wilderness once, spending some time far North Quebec. I will never forget and do my best to perform a hunt on such a territory at least once in my life. Central europe and eastern mountains sound good to me too. The only key is some money.

At the moment, it's good to read your adventures.

GV,

the huge far north Qu�bec is still waiting you, again.

we need to read your adventures and your survival kit list ???!!!

have a great day.
will take the time to post my own survival and first aid kits soon ...
Once again being involved in Scouting, this is a big focus for we leaders to teach kids...

First of all, one should not be further into back country, than his survival kit is set up to handle..

Two, folks should know exactly what is in their 'survival' kits and know how to use what is in there..

three, this is more important with a first aid kit... folks should know what is in there, know how to use it, and make sure nothing in there is expired...

proper planning is not only important, but also being smart enough to not get ahead of yourself..know how to start a fire, build a shelter, know what you can actually eat for food, how to signal for help...

I hunt in the area that Korean guy from San Fran got lost here in Oregon and died trying to make his way out a couple of years ago... my truck was parked in the exact same spot his car got hung up, exactly 2 weeks before this Kim guy got stuck...he left his family and then died trying to walk out of the woods..

he was a city boy and was clueless... he tried to go cross country for some dumb reason, and ended up getting hypothermia and freezing to death...

sad thing was, if the dumbass had just walked back out on the same forest service road he drove in on, he was 8 miles for where he had passed houses.... and the weather was nothing that bad.. but even in the worst weather, he could have walked out of there in say 6 hours and gotten help...his stupidity was the sad thing that got him killed...
© 24hourcampfire