Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I thought we were just talking about foot travel...

You could homestead out of my truck !! grin grin

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reality check today. A guy at the rod and gun club today cut himself making sausage (no kidding) and the first aid kit was empty because a kid cut himself the week before on a deer tag (no kidding). I got my pack from the truck and pulled out the first aid zip lock bag (I did for the kid cut with the tag too), applied the antiseptic wash, bacitracin, and premium Band Aid. Before that a guy dropped a jar of stuffed peppers and cut himself and I had to provide first aid as well. I shot 2 deer last week and went into the pack for a knife, gloves, paper towels, parachute cord.... The stuff gets used. A spare shark knife, flashlight, work gloves... all come in handy.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I thought we were just talking about foot travel...

You could homestead out of my truck !! grin grin

The back pack goes with me when I am afoot as well. I have the stuff with me at all times though.
On a short day hunt, I use a different set up, a fanny pack with a large rear comparment, and two side compartments.
Its not that often on a hunt, that I am more than a few miles from the 4Runner. Yeah, I know you Mountain Men do it difrerent than us swamp sloggers. grin

Sam......

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Oh, I'm not so sure about that... smile

I got myself pretty well turned around as a kid in the AL swamps but that was nothing compared to the swamps in the UP shocked

up there, you could rarely see the sky to navigate (cloudy), tree cover limited GPS utility, iron ore deposits periodically limited magnetic compass utility, everything looked the same, and there was little elevation. I was pretty anal about carrying my kit(s) there!

after spending my formative years there, navigating in the mtns is a snap! grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
WindWalker

The .45 long/.410 over and under derringer is to keep the nonexistent night terrors at bay. As to what these terrors are or their intent I can�t say as they exist only in my mind. My reasons for this gun are not all that rational as I have lighter guns with higher capacity mags etc. I just like it.

As for -35 for a morning temp? That is cold. The lowest I have ever done for a camp is -13 with a wind chill of -35. Given the options I would take -20 without wind. But my most hated weather is freezing rain.

Rob p

I always have my little FAK nearby.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mr. WoodsWalker,
Thank you for the info. Interesting and versatile choice of firearm.
We also enjoy/appreciate when the temperature is a very pleasant -20 degrees and no wind. Makes for really nice trekking weather. Must concur on the freezing rain; even when properly dressed.
Best Wishes,
WW

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 18,649 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,859
Posts18,537,673
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.