Home
If you had to choose one 270 bullet to do "everything" with what would you choose? I'm talking mice to moose, targets to varmints, short range to "WAY" out there. All of this from a 270 win.
Cost and availability considered.
150 Nosler Partition
Or the 150 TSX
140 grain something
Thank God I dont have to worry about that choice.........
150 gr partition
140 gn Accubond
140 TSX
I'll be odd man out. 130 partition
130 TSX
140gr. Hornady BTSP
I'll throw in with those who opt for the 150gr Nosler Partition.
I have to vote for the 140 grn Nosler Accubond.
130 Nosler partition
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
140gr. Hornady BTSP

Me too.
130gr. MRX BT I would also choose the same for my .270WSM
Today,130 Aframe.
130 gr. TSX - no second thoughts.
If you do your part, the combination just might suffice for trophy mule deer. laugh
I'm with the 130 Nosler Partition guys.
+1 130gr TSX.
Premium: 130 gr. TSX
Cheap: 130 gr. Core-Lokt
Odd man out. 140 Nosler BT.

BCR
130g TTSX
For my Weatherby Custom Shop Mark V stainless 270 WBY
WBY factory load 130 gr. TSX @ 3400 FPS +
or Nosler custom ammo 130 gr. BT or NP @ 3450 FPS
AMRA

Never seen anything run from a 130 grain bullet.
Like, Partition
Hot Core
Sierra pro Hunter
NBT on Deer

For one bullet, I would go 130 grain. You might as well make it a Partition.
Being using a 130 TSX in the 270.That load and the Accubond load both shoot the same poi in my rifle.
I shoot the 140 TSX out of my 270wsm and that would be my choice....
Never tried a 140.Just 130 and 150 grainers.
Mike,
I have not shot any 150's in .277. Was lucky the first box of 140 TSX just shot so damn good never tried anything else. For me the 150's are in the 7mm territory.....
140gr Accubond gets my first vote, then 140gr TTSX. Used only the Accubonds (factory Winchester Supreme) and reloads since 2005. Had the TSX's but the perforance of the Accubonds at the range and on big game (elk, moose, deer, bears) with my 270WSM's I never tried the TSX's and traded what I had for more Accubonds.

140g NAB
140 grain Partition, 140 grain Accubond both work very well for me.
Originally Posted by Huntr
150 Nosler Partition

That is what I would use as well if I still used my .270 for everything. Finding one accurate load with one bullet makes hunting more enjoyable than trying to switch bullets all the time. My .270 has been pretty much retired from hunting anything over the size of mule deer. My choice of bullet now is a 130 grain Sierra GameKing for everything deer sized and smaller.
Considering all the factors in the initial post. Big-small. Near-far. Paper-flesh and cost... 140 Accubond
I agree.
I shoot 140gr Accubonds in my 270win and also the 270wsm.
140 NAB, a winner in all my 270's.
I use the Hornaday 130 InnerLock exclusively in my .270.
If I were to use that rifle on everything and only one load, I'd probably use the 150 Nosler Partition.
I used to swear by the Nosler Partition in the 160 grain bullet weight. This was used in a .270 Winchester. It just did everything I needed and then some but today after finishing up a few tests we started a couple weeks ago, I am giving high hopes to the new Barnes 150 TSX bullet. It's flying faster and penetrates deeper, keeping more bullet weight in tact.

However, will it open up down range all the blessed time? I still don't know that part yet. You never know from one batch of bullets to the rest, at least that was the story with the X bullets and blue XLC bullets of yester years.

150 grain BARNES TSX BULLET..doing good so far! Now I just need to not have all this clutter in my mind about those Barnes bullets NOT OPENING UP ONCE THEY HIT THAT DEER. Decisions decisions!
Since the question extends to include moose I would go with the 150 Nosler partition. My experience shows them to work very well for this purpose.

Jim
130 gr ballistic tip. Just because Lee J. Hoots said it was a bad choice.
140g TSX or 150g Spire Point
130 NPt. Nothing will ever know it wasn't a 150.

I'm willing to consider the 130 TSX, just haven't done enough yet.
160 NP.

OK everyone I have a question as a long time .270 shooter and handloader.

Many here have named many proven bullets that I'm fond of. The 130 Hornady SP (my fav 130 gr), the 150 gr partition (my fav 150 gr.). More than one 140 AB vote as well as 130 gr partitions, 140 Hornady BTSP etc. etc..

Out of all the bullets listed, I'm curious why the 140 Nosler Partition has not been listed a single time. No, I have not tried it, I'm just slightly suprised it never comes up, in any 270 threads it seems.

In theory it seems it would be a great bullet, more weight (slightly), higher sd and bc than 130 np, faster and slightly flatter than the 150. Seems it would bee the best of both worlds in regards to the Partition.

Has it been found to be an inherintly bad bullet? I'm serious, no sarcasm, just curious.

If there is an old thread pertaining to this bullet that would answer my questions just lead me to it, no need for anyone to explain all the way through again.

Just rambling, and curious....

Thanks,

Bill
that'd be the one in the chamber!!! no really, at the moment 140 nosler accubond. if'n i was rich it'd be 140-150 tsx leanin' to the 150 for every thing. come to think of it i don't know why i ever bought a 270 anyway; i already have an -06, got rid of a REALLY good shootin' .260, now i think i NEED a 6.5x55 sweed. guess need has nothin' to do with it any ways. maybee you should just get rid of the thing and find something else that won't shoot what ever you feed it, be less headache. good luck!
Another raised hand for the 150 gr Nosler Partition.
I just don't feel the need to jump up to 150 grains for any of the hunting I have done with my 270 (mule deer, elk, and bear). It just doesn't seem worth the cost in velocity and trajectery. I use 130 grain western silvertips exclusivly. Mainly because they print so much better than anything else I've tried. It has put all my animals down very cleanly in a myriad of circumstances.

Anyone want to explain why the 150 grainers have lured so many of you all away from the benefit of shooting a cartridge intended for high velocity performance.

To be a hypocrite I must add that when I finally dray my moose tag I will be handloading some 160 partition loads. I will try the exact loads that O'connor loaded for the big guys.
140 Partition/Accubond
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Never seen anything run from a 130 grain bullet.
Like, Partition
Hot Core
Sierra pro Hunter
NBT on Deer

For one bullet, I would go 130 grain. You might as well make it a Partition.

too true. Was it not the 130 that "made" the .270Win? I am down to shooting those almost worthless Nosler pro shop flat base bullets in mine, so far these old things shoot into 1/2 or so and seem to work on coyote's and deer.
Originally Posted by tx270
OK everyone I have a question as a long time .270 shooter and handloader....

Out of all the bullets listed, I'm curious why the 140 Nosler Partition has not been listed a single time. No, I have not tried it, I'm just slightly suprised it never comes up, in any 270 threads it seems.

In theory it seems it would be a great bullet, more weight (slightly), higher sd and bc than 130 np, faster and slightly flatter than the 150. Seems it would bee the best of both worlds in regards to the Partition....

Has it been found to be an inherintly bad bullet? I'm serious, no sarcasm, just curious.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill I can only speak for myself of course. The partition is a good bullet. It does just exactly what it was designed to do. However in my 270 rifles I can not get it to shoot as well as other bullets do no matter what. None of the partitions can I get to shoot as accurately as I want a bullet to perform.

BCR

I think i would ask to mister Hoots new editor in chief for Successful Hunter, he knows for sure what the best bullet is...

Sorry guys, was joking!!!
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Originally Posted by tx270
OK everyone I have a question as a long time .270 shooter and handloader....

In theory it seems it would be a great bullet, more weight (slightly), higher sd and bc than 130 np, faster and slightly flatter than the 150. Seems it would bee the best of both worlds in regards to the Partition....

Thanks,

Bill

Bill I can only speak for myself of course. The partition is a good bullet. It does just exactly what it was designed to do. However in my 270 rifles I can not get it to shoot as well as other bullets do no matter what. None of the partitions can I get to shoot as accurately as I want a bullet to perform.

BCR

BCR I agree the partition is a good bullet, I have used it in 130 gr in one of my 270's and I currently run 100gr partitions in my 260. Have used it in a couple other calibers as well.

I was mainly referring to the 140 gr partition and why its rarely mentioned.

Did notice on vote for it since my first post.

Bill
Hello Boggy, Say have you tried that Nosler Accubond bullet in your .270 Whinny yet? Just curious is all.

School is still out on those Barnes tsx bullets I been testing (it ain't cheap to test em either) Going to do the water tank test next, to see how they open up down range. I hope they do open as well as the Nosler's but I have my doubt's from past experiences mind you.
I'm thinking a 140, Either accubond, Hornady BTSP, or Nosler BT.
130 nosler partition
Originally Posted by raghorn
If you had to choose one 270 bullet to do "everything" with what would you choose? I'm talking mice to moose, targets to varmints, short range to "WAY" out there. All of this from a 270 win.

150gr Partition.

From up close and personal, to a long ways out. Higher Sd than the 130 grainers, plus it seems the 150 Pt is built a bit tougher than the 130. Higher Sd seems to perform a bit more consistently across a wider range of velocities, plus it opens up fine from pronghorns to elk and beyond.

Back before Shooters Pro Shop and the seconds were thoroughly discovered, and before the Obama scare swept the shooting world, Pro Shop generally had lots of bullets in stock. When I could buy a premium bullet like the Pt for $10-$15 a box, it was a hands-down winner.......

But it wouldn't bother me a bit to use a 140 TSX or even a 130 TSX in my 270's............

Casey
140's and 150's? Nothing wrong with any of them.....I started out using 130's..things died.Then,later bullets got better,and if I shoot a 130 that keeps 90-95% of its' weight,expands and makes it to the off side hide,I figured how is that not as good, or better,than a 140 or 150 that loses 1/3 to over 1/2 of its' weight (integrity)?

By just switching to a tougher 130,I get the same effect(perceived benefit)of a heavier bullet,and I'm spared the mental anguish of wondering which is better.

Sometimes, it isn't what you start out with,but what you end up with........
Originally Posted by BobinNH
140's and 150's? Nothing wrong with any of them.....I started out using 130's..things died.Then,later bullets got better,and if I shoot a 130 that keeps 90-95% of its' weight,expands and makes it to the off side hide,I figured how is that not as good, or better,than a 140 or 150 that loses 1/3 to over 1/2 of its' weight (integrity)?

By just switching to a tougher 130,I get the same effect(perceived benefit)of a heavier bullet,and I'm spared the mental anguish of wondering which is better.

You see Bob your post is perfect example of your using good common sense and logic. Many here on the Campfire do not like that. You are running the risk of not being liked by those folks..

Well, a long time ago I started out with 150 gr Core-Lokts, but ended up with 150 gr Pt's....... grin

The lower wieght TSX's certainly penetrate as well as any weight Pt, but I still give the nod to Pt's for consistentancy across a wide range of velocities.

Besides, elevation rarely is my challenge--but it's wind drift that can make things really tricky........

Casey

You see Bob your post is perfect example of your using good common sense and logic. Many here on the Campfire do not like that. You are running the risk of not being liked by those folks..
jwp:I will try to watch that in the future wink

Casey: Your point regarding the wind is true and noted. I do not profess to be good at wind doping, but have seens its effects which are most severe at 90 degrees to the bullet's path.....I have held fire because I could not gauge what it would do to the shot.
I have been VERY impressed with the 140 NAB both from my 270 wsm and from my 270. Have killed stuf from 25 feet, to 400 yards and every where in between. Have killed quite a few rocks out to 600-700 yards.
130 gr partition for me.
boo
grin

140 Accubond for serious.

135 SMK for fun.

KaZap!
Originally Posted by Huntr
150 Nosler Partition

That's the beginning and end of 270 bullets IMO.

Ya know, they all work. I think you need to do your part and find out, what dose your rifle like to eat.

Use that load, be happy, and like some will say.
"go fill an Ark"

Figure what is the game to be hunted.

Example, if I'm using a 270 Win. to hunt CA Black-tails, I do not need a 150 grain bullet. A 130 will do just fine.
Now if this 270 is my Elk rifle then we have a different scenario.

Basically it boils down to pesonal preference with some common sense.

God Bless have a Happy Easter
160 NP cause' thats all my 270 Roy needs
As was already mentioned, that bullet you choose must shoot well in your rifle or it doesn't mean a thing on how well it can kill an animal out to 350 yards or so.

Next, that bullet must OPEN UP & STAY TOGETHER at the velocity and range you are going to be shooting those animals. So far I have gotten 2 out of 10 TSX bullets that never opened up in the water tank, I am not liking this at all because that is 20% chance of losing an animal like a mule deer and more so for those who hunt elk with a .270 Winchester.

I have NEVER failed to have a Hornady, Remington, Speer, Swift, TBBC or Nosler bullets fail to open up on any test period. So right now I am looking hard at my old standards, which are Nosler's, TBBC and Swift A Frame bullets for big game hunts.
I like the Horny 140gr btsp for my 270. They fly accurately out of my rifle and knock the snot out of critters they meet. I like the idea they can be picked up for about 22 bucks a hundred too.

150 grain Swift A-Frame.
130 gr barnes TTSX.

Now why the heck would I want to limit myself to one .277 caliber bullet?
I have one .270 Win that really likes 130 grain bullets so for I use the cheapest 130 grain bullets I can find and for hunting I use 130 gr NP's.
My other .270 Win likes 150 grain bullets so for I use the cheapest 150 grain bullets I can find and for hunting I use 150 gr NP's.
My .270 Roy likes 150 NP's.
140 Accubond
A few years ago I would have said 130gr B-tip. Now I say 140gr A-bond, the B-tips were extremely accurate, the A-bonds are even more so. Both kill like the hammer of Thor.
I loved the way the 130 Grain partition worked in my 270
I'll easily second 'Ringman' here: 130 TSX!
130 gr Tipped TSX.
I would go with the Nosler bullet in the Accubond at 140 grain bullet weight. It is the best of both worlds! I favor the 160 grain Nosler partition for elk or moose, yes I said moose because that .270 Winchester will take em down with that bullet for a fact. However, for reaching out further down range, the Nosler Accubond has a very good BC and stays together delivering more of it's energy than a "partition bullet" would.
Barnes X's, TSX's, TTSX's are out do to cost and not needed for big game in the lower 48 in a 270.
I'm settled on 140 Accubonds or Hornadys at the moment. Good BC and decent speed add up to good performace at longer ranges over 500 yards.
Now if Hornady would make a 140 or 150 AMAX I'd have to try them.
The 130 grain Partition has worked well for me. I'd go with that one.
Well, I'm gonna be the odd man out here. For years, I've used a 150 Partition in my .270 Win. This year, for curiosity's sake, I'm gonna load up some 150 gr. NORTHFORKS for my .270 WSM. Hoping to try them on caribou. Should be no problem there on their performance. I'm also gonna use 'em in the WSM for moose. I really wanna see what those 150 gr. pills will do to a moose.
In my opinion, the 225 gr. .338 bullet is a terrific performer on moose.
I'm aware most of you guys use your .270's on deer & don't generally need a premium bullet but I wanna give 'em a test.
Ya'll have a good day now. Bear in Fairbanks
The second largest bull moose I ever shot was with the old 130 gr Sivertip started out at more than 3100 fps. The largest was with a 286 gr Kynoch 9.3 round nose soft point at around 2350. Both moose died with a single shot. laugh

Having said that, I have killed an awful lot of big game with 150 Partitions.

Ted
The majority of the moose I have shot have been taken with the 150 gr. partition. Longest shot was 300 yards if memory serves me.

Jim

130 gr. Remington Core-Loc. Good performance and readily available.

Originally Posted by Tony270WSM
140 Accubond

+1
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
140gr. Hornady BTSP

Me too.

Count me in too!!!!!!!!
I like Hornady SP also very excellent, except I trust the flat bases more in a cup and core construction, give me 130 or 150 whichever the rifle likes best.

I had a Speer boat tail completely disentegrate inside a muley chest, so I have a general mistrust of all brands of boat tail cup and cores.
Originally Posted by Yukoner
The second largest bull moose I ever shot was with the old 130 gr Sivertip started out at more than 3100 fps. The largest was with a 286 gr Kynoch 9.3 round nose soft point at around 2350. Both moose died with a single shot. laugh

Having said that, I have killed an awful lot of big game with 150 Partitions.

Ted

But Ted; you clearly don't understand.....the 270 is "easily bested" as a mule deer cartridge,and is ineffective for them "past 200 yards". So even though you think so, you could not have killed that moose(which weighs 5 times what the deer does) and all the other stuff you've killed with a 270......it just can't work....ask Lee Hoots whistle laugh
I have 2 270 win rifles,,,a Model 70 that likes the 150gr and a Mark V that likes the 140gr.... so I use both.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Premium: 130 gr. TSX
Cheap: 130 gr. Core-Lokt

+1

For deer, that 130gr Core-lokt should be considered a PREMIUM..... cool
130 NPT has done everything I could ask for, deer, elk, and varmits.
I have had very good experiences with the 130 Hornady and the 150 Partition.
Well I will be the odd choice, 110TTSX. I run it at 3400fps and use the 110vmax for practice, they give the same point of impact out to about 400yards.

I know some will complain about the wind but I dont think its that bad. For every 5mph of wind a 150 Berger drifts about 6" at 600yards (2900fps), the 110TTSX about 8". If you blow the wind call by 10mph you will save yourself 4" by using the berger but your still 12" off and that will not be pretty.

I will be running both loads next weekend to smack some squirrels and will post if I get any noticiable differences.
Anyone try the Barnes 150gr. MRX boolits? Expensive... A few years ago at the S.I. Show in Reno, I stopped by the Barnes booth and asked them about their newest/latest/greatest X bullet. One of their reps told me, "after much testing, the .270 150gr. MRX bullet is one of the most accurate bullets we have ever tested"� I thought it was a pretty interesting and bold statement coming straight from the horse�s mouth. I haven't tried them yet, but just curious if any out here have given 'em a run.
TiLug......Barnes are ok, if you can get them to shoot straight out of your rifle for starters and the next problem, will they in fact open up (mushroom) on the animal you shoot.

I have used the Nosler Partition bullet in the 160 grian for years and I am very satisfied on their results concerning bringing down big game animals. I don't know if Nosler still makes this bullet but it was a Hail Mary for the .270 caliber!
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
Well, I'm gonna be the odd man out here. For years, I've used a 150 Partition in my .270 Win. This year, for curiosity's sake, I'm gonna load up some 150 gr. NORTHFORKS for my .270 WSM. Hoping to try them on caribou. Should be no problem there on their performance. I'm also gonna use 'em in the WSM for moose. I really wanna see what those 150 gr. pills will do to a moose.

Bear -

I used a 7mm 140g North Fork on a mule deer in '07. The buck stepped forward and turned just as the trigger broke, turing a quartering away shot into a low hit in the right ham. We recovered the bullet from up against the sternum. Weight retention was 93.7% with a classic mushroom. 3200fps @ ~80 yards.

I've also dropped three elk with 165g and 180g North Forks (2 with .30-06 and 1 with .300 WM). I think you'll be pleased.
140 grain barnes TSX
I can't believe no one else posted this one.....130 Accubond.
150 Partition

I've killed at least 50 deer, a big black bear and a couple hogs with it. I have no doubt it would do for moose or elk I just have other choices for those animals.
140 grain federal trophy bonded bear claw for all but moose, as i have never taken a moose!
Ive had excellent luck with the 140 grain accubond. Ive used on deer and caribou with no difficulties.
Originally Posted by Rooney
140 grain Partition, 140 grain Accubond both work very well for me.

+1
My cousin Tom is a good shot & has 1 rifle @ 1 load 270 Win 150 NP. 8' Brown Bear & lots of moose & Black Bear. I watched him shoot a bull moose a very long shot, I said don,t shoot the little one 40" then watched it fall over, and watched the big one trot off!
But after he shot it, and we packed & packed. I was very happy with his choice. Till the next evening when 2 big bulls were at the lake 200' from camp!
© 24hourcampfire