Home
Posted By: EricM What is your "go to" camo...? - 07/20/11
What's your "go to" camo that you're wearing out in the field 90% of the time?

A couple I'm looking at for Western hunting:

- Sitka 90% Jacket/Pants
- Cabelas Outfitter camo
- ASAT

I bought 6 brand new sets of the old woodland camo BDU's from a retired soldier a few years back for about the price of a new-wave camo pair of pants at the hook and bullet shop. Not fancy but they work great.

I grew up in the west and we always just wore wranglers and long sleeved shirts. Jackets if it was cold.
Jeans and flannel shirt. Yeah I know there's better stuff for winter but mos of the time....
If its cold wool, if its hot anything but cotton..
Not really by design, only by accident, I've never owned any camo clothing at all. ever.
Mostly Levi's and black down coat. When a blue northern blows in I will switch to some brown wool pants.
Brown pants, green shirt, gray cap...........pretty much makes me invisible.
blue jeans and a plad shirt
Depends on where and what you are hunting.

But mostly, just bought a vest in orange in a breakup pattern in black and throw it on over whatever I wear for warmth.

For turkey, I bought a vest in camo, but that was for the seat pad to sit on. Works ok for waiting for varmints too.

Predator for the last twenty years.
I abhor "camo" patterns and refuse to wear it..... Have no problem hunting with khaki in warm weather and all forms of wool combos and cotton canvas/poplin in cold weather........ Just my personal preference. I like old skool fabrics and material.

Kaywoodie
Yellow

[Linked Image]
Im with the jeans and long sleeve shirt crowd... when I do wear camp its the original Natural gear.
My wool is some kind of camo, not sure what it is. I just bought it for the warmth though. The rest of the time its jeans and a long sleeve flannel shirt.
I probably have them all, I've never noticed any one pattern being signifigantly better than another.

But, I find myself buying the neutral gray/brown "outfitter camo" mostly these days.
camo?
Tiger stripe
Thats the camo my wool is, I wasn't "into" camo so I really paid no attention to the name.
Carharts and a ragwool sweater usually.

Camo is overrated IMO..
Carhartt camo rules.
(and don't skyline yourself.....grin)

[Linked Image]

Sometimes I smear a bit of mud on myself..

I tie a pair of branches to my arms and creep around the forest.
For the most part, Carhartt brown and Wranglers! grin

[Linked Image]

But I do always wear a snow camo poncho overtop for coyote calling.
Are you hitchhiking?????

Originally Posted by SamOlson
Carhartt camo rules.
(and don't skyline yourself.....grin)

[Linked Image]

When I was younger and more foolish I wore tan Carhart pants for hunting. One day I ralized that I probably resembled parts of an elk while walking through the heavy timber. Now I wear camo pants (any pattern mostly dark) because I like all of the pockets. Orange where required (at least near the road) and a camo shirt when not. When its cold I have two wool sweaters (one heavy, one light that are about the color of an old fir tree that I wear over the camo. I always wear a wide brimmed hat (canvas) for sun blocking and rain.
When hunting (not walking) in the timber I never walk into an opening, stay in the shadows, stay out of the sun and am very quiet.
Originally Posted by mtcurman
For the most part, Carhartt brown and Wranglers! grin

[Linked Image]

But I do always wear a snow camo poncho overtop for coyote calling.

Dude.. Awesome buck, great pic.

Damn kids making me look bad...
Carharts and wool, with a little hunter orange thrown in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
"Dont be that guy!"
For rifle hunting I might wear a camo shirt but mostly tans and such. Archery hunting though I do wear camo. I use Mountain Mimicry in Sitka and now Core4. I have some Kuiu gear as well. I have stuff in Predator and Realtree as well that does not get used too often, but in reality it all works if you move slow and stay in the shadows. I look for material and build more than pattern.
Posted By: Vek Re: What is your "go to" camo...? - 07/21/11
Camo is a good excuse to charge more for a low quality garment.
Whatever was on sale.
I use whatever I find on sale.
Various patterns of Realtree. For Sunday go to meeting it is Seclusion 3d Open Country. grin
Originally Posted by EricM
What's your "go to" camo that you're wearing out in the field 90% of the time?

A couple I'm looking at for Western hunting:

- Sitka 90% Jacket/Pants
- Cabelas Outfitter camo
- ASAT

Jeans and checked flannel or wool. I don't particularly like camo for hunting, I only use it because most of the clothing I like is not available except in camo patterns.

The best pattern I've found is the old "rock-a-flage". Cabela's outfitter camo is not too bad, depends on the background. I do just a well with a not new, but not too faded pair of jeans and a dark green shirt or jacket.

Tom
I'm thinking this is the way to go...

[Linked Image]
I like Realtree all purpose, Predator, and Cabelas Outfitter. Other than bow hunting, it doesnt matter.

Joseph
99% of the time it is a Bemidji Wool blaze orange coat with a gray wool bibs.

So far, it's worked pretty good. smile
If I am bowhunting I wear camo and I try to use a differnt top and bottom to get a sil breakup. If am rifle hunting I will wear camo pants only because I have them and sometimes camo jackets with a Orange vest again because I have them from bowhunting. I find rifle hunting relaxing vs bowhunting grin
because I don't have to worry about getting into 30 yards or so.
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter
I like Realtree all purpose

I forgot AP, I like it too.
I wear camo pants

and an Under Armour shirt that is meant to keep me from smelling due to sweat.
Corduroy pants, flannel shirt of any color, and orange hat and vest or sweatshirt. Big game animals are still color-blind, whatever the camo manufacturers might have told you, and motionless in blaze orange I have had lots of them within a few yards of me, upwind, to prove it. Unless you quit breathing or remove your sweat glands, scent-block camo clothes don't work, either.
ASAT 3D for archery
[Linked Image]

Not a camo guy either, green Filson wool pants and a Pendleton wool shirt, and either my tan Riverswest Kenai jacket or loden green Beretta gun six field jacket
That's a nice looking moose, BlackDog1!

shot from 5 steps

[Linked Image]
Woodland Camo BDU's for me. Getting picked off by my movement has hurt me worse than any clothing mistakes.
Roger, your mustache reminds me of an old west gunfighter.

What is the bow used?
Hunting from ground blinds, no camo unless it's cold and then I wear bibs and jacket in Realtree AP brown for the warmth. If I'm bowhunting from a tree stand it's whatever pattern the weather dictates but always scentlock. My lightweight early fall is predominently green, brown and gray mid to late fall, and maybe Natural Gear snow camo in the winter if the trees are holding a lot of snow. Unlike most who have posted I believe in camo and scent control. I've had deer step over my legs while sitting against a tree and had black bears walk within six feet downwind from me and never even reacted. I try to always keep the wind in my favor and movement to a minimum as well but good camo and scent control work for me. The most successful bowhunter that I know is an absolute nut about camo and scent control and he has me convinced, along with my own experience. You have to wear clothes anyway, so why not? It sure can't hurt. Gun hunting I don't think I need it but I wear it because I've got it. I do wear an orange camo vest but never an orange hat. You guys that wear brown carharts wouldn't last long where I hunt. LOL!
Realtree's original Hardwoods............the gray 20/200. Realtree AP's O.K. too.

Out west or down in Mexico Realtree's Advantage Max 1 is AWESOME.
Its sure doesnt take camo to get it done, but it sure dont hurt either.

Its the Scent Blocking clothes thats a joke. You can never be 100% rid of foreign odor, period. If a deer walks down wind its because he/she didnt care or the smell was common etc. I believe in minimizing and washing, but I know there will always be some human odor on me and where I have been. I just try to make friends with the wind.

Joseph
Posted By: abc Re: What is your "go to" camo...? - 07/22/11
I don not have any camo and never will. I hate camo. Sorry, I have a heavy Filson camo wool coat that is mostly green, it was a $350 coat for $100.
I just got my new Hycreek extreme pants for 4th season CO elk season. I will see if they are as good as the company says they are!
Still using up a footlocker full of old BDU's (and still have one serviceable OD green field jacket I have hunted in for years). I also wear Filson double tin (canvas) and have a new Shelter Cloth coat (similar to OD green). Most of my commercial camo is the old Duxbak goose hunter pattern and a mismatch of whatever Gander Mountain or Bass Pro has on sale - I make no effort to match camo patterns. I think camo really helps when waterfowl or turkey hunting in the open (down in a blind it makes little difference), for deer hunting I just wear whatever weight cloth the weather dictates - camo and OD mix and match.
Posted By: JPro Re: What is your "go to" camo...? - 07/23/11
I typically look like I tried to wear as much mismatched camo as possible. I'd be fine with olive drab, but everything around here comes in 9 different Realtree or MossyOak patterns. My favorite outerwear is some 19yr old 10x stuff, as it is not too thick for our mild winters. Those bibs and parka are old-school Treebark or something like that. I will likely shed a tear when they finally give up the ghost......
If it's hot I just wear a brown shirt...if the skeeters are bad...long sleaves.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: las Re: What is your "go to" camo...? - 07/24/11
Synthetic fleece mostly. Some is "camo" others are not. I've a pullover in grey and black vertical stripes I've been using for nearly 20 years now. It's getting a little thin, has some campfire burn holes in it, but it's a lucky and comfortable shirt. The pants in this picture is a thin, nylon, river-floater's pants. Works great, dries really fast, cool when cool is good, and relatively warm even when wet.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c87/sterlingak/?action=view&current=P8130023.jpg

ASAT.
Add me to the "Not a Camo Fan" list.

My homestate requires hunter's orange above the waist. That being said, I've never seen the point of wearing camo when I am dressed like a big orange lightbulb. The closest I've come to camo is green raingear. Oh, I've also got a pair of boots that has a camo pattern on them, but I bought them for reasons other than the camo and wish they weren't camo.

Anyway, I cannot really recall a situation where I felt that, had I been wearing camo, I would have had a better hunting outcome.

No knock though on the guys that like it. Go with what works for you!
*Deleted double post*
I buy hunting clothes strictly based on features/price. If its camo, ok, if not ok.

I do have several coveralls that are camo. Not picked for pattern, just for soft fabric and features.

As stated above, you couldn't pay me enough to wear regular brown Carharts in the woods. I do have one old pair that I dyed the regular brown with some loden green Rit dye.
Whatever Walmart has on sale. To my mind camo is more of a gimmick. I know it has its place, but hunters have got by with jeans and a coat/shirt. I also where desert and woodland camo BDUs because they were free.
I've poo poo'd camo most of my hunting career but last year I picked up some lightweight MAX-1 pants and shirt and took them dove hunting. I was really surprised how much closer the birds came before seeing me. So then I picked up some pants and a shirt in King's Desert Shadow and took them Antelope hunting the third week of the season. The antelope saw me crawling towards them but didn't seem to figure out what I was until it was too late. smile My friend just wore the jeans/tshirt route and the antelope took off running when he tried the same thing. A small sample size but for me I was fairly sold.
Most of my warm stuff is King's Desert Camo. If it's not real cold I seldom wear camo at all.
© 24hourcampfire