Home
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski West River SD lopes - 02/03/12
Any ideas or thoughts on hunting lopes in West River SD? Probably Harding Cty, and most likely bow only.

Thoughts or input appreciated either or via Pm.

Also, if you happen to know the app date I'd appreciate it.

Gracias

Dober
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: West River SD lopes - 02/03/12
Dober, Antelope drawing for rifle doesn't happen till late August early Sept. Archery is usually just send them the money when the Apps come out. Best way is to go to the SD GFP website and set up an account now ,record your login and password(so you don't forget them). Then you can apply and use your credit card to pay and get a tag in about 3 days after applying. Send me a PM and we will talk specifics as I rifle hunted the west half last fall. Magnum Man

Add link http://gfp.sd.gov/licenses/
Posted By: macrabbit Re: West River SD lopes - 02/03/12
I've done it once, on a ranch where I've hunted deer a few times. I don't know that there's anything to say that you don't already know from hunting in MT. The web site will tell you everything you need to know about applying. They keep available the previous year's app, so you can see what's invoved.
Thx guys, I'll check it out.

Dober
Posted By: brdana Re: West River SD lopes - 02/03/12
Unlimited archery tags. The population is down significantly from a few years ago due to the tough winters we have had the last few years.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: West River SD lopes - 02/03/12
Dober send me your snail mail addy and Ill send you a copy of the last Walk in Area atlas that includes public land so you know where you can hunt for FREE. And Brad is right in his assessment, but I saw enough bucks in the 12.5-13.5" range during rifle antelope season to know that if we have a mild winter for the rest of it as has been sofar there will be some good bucks this fall. Not alot of pressure during archery antelope so a guy can get a good hunt. Magnum Man
Thx, I really appreciate it!

Anyone know what time of year the bow hunting for lopes opens? Here in Mt it opens Aug 15th.

Thx

Dober

Posted By: Bobcape Re: West River SD lopes - 02/03/12
It's usually the 3rd weekend in August. Like was mentioned before, unlimited archery tags. They're certainly not suffering from this winter very much. Let me know if you need more info.

Bob
Thx appreciate it, you know anything about the Buffalo/Ludlow area?

Dober
Posted By: brdana Re: West River SD lopes - 02/04/12
The season opens around the 3rd weekend of August. I went up and hunted the buttes on the 30th of Dec, close to Buffalo. The population of deer and goats is really down. Lots of public land, however.
Posted By: Bobcape Re: West River SD lopes - 02/04/12
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Thx appreciate it, you know anything about the Buffalo/Ludlow area?

Dober

I've hunted the area from Buffalo over to Camp Crook. Stuck a good one some years ago up there. Not as much public land, but not too hard to get access either.

Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bobcape Re: West River SD lopes - 02/04/12
Here he is now.

[Linked Image]

He started to get up when I finally approached. If you look closely in the black cheek patch, you can see the "X" the broadhead cut from the coup d'ate.

[Linked Image]

Bob

(Dang! I need to dust that guy!)
Posted By: 30338 Re: West River SD lopes - 02/04/12
Good looking goat, like those white tips. How close did he decoy for you? I have this dream of a longbow and a decoy and .........
Posted By: laker Re: West River SD lopes - 02/04/12
Love them ivory tips on that goat
Posted By: laker Re: West River SD lopes - 02/04/12
Bobcape who mounted that for you?
Nice lope, and thx for the info.

I'd really like to hunt for lopes with a bow there this fall. What about SW ND? Could a fella possibly get a bow tag for SW N Dak and NW SD and hunt them both? Maybe toss in a Montana tag to make a lope smoker week?... wink

Dober
Posted By: AB2506 Re: West River SD lopes - 02/05/12
NIce buck, especially for bow, Bob!
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: West River SD lopes - 02/06/12
pm sent

ddj
Posted By: Sherwood Re: West River SD lopes - 02/07/12
Randy Routier offers fantastic spot & stalk hunts for 'lopes and mulies. http://huntsd.net/

Mounts by Dakota Taxidermy in Rapid City.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire