-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any ideas or thoughts on hunting lopes in West River SD? Probably Harding Cty, and most likely bow only.

Thoughts or input appreciated either or via Pm.

Also, if you happen to know the app date I'd appreciate it.

Gracias

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dober, Antelope drawing for rifle doesn't happen till late August early Sept. Archery is usually just send them the money when the Apps come out. Best way is to go to the SD GFP website and set up an account now ,record your login and password(so you don't forget them). Then you can apply and use your credit card to pay and get a tag in about 3 days after applying. Send me a PM and we will talk specifics as I rifle hunted the west half last fall. Magnum Man

Add link http://gfp.sd.gov/licenses/

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 02/02/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done it once, on a ranch where I've hunted deer a few times. I don't know that there's anything to say that you don't already know from hunting in MT. The web site will tell you everything you need to know about applying. They keep available the previous year's app, so you can see what's invoved.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx guys, I'll check it out.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Unlimited archery tags. The population is down significantly from a few years ago due to the tough winters we have had the last few years.

Brad
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dober send me your snail mail addy and Ill send you a copy of the last Walk in Area atlas that includes public land so you know where you can hunt for FREE. And Brad is right in his assessment, but I saw enough bucks in the 12.5-13.5" range during rifle antelope season to know that if we have a mild winter for the rest of it as has been sofar there will be some good bucks this fall. Not alot of pressure during archery antelope so a guy can get a good hunt. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx, I really appreciate it!

Anyone know what time of year the bow hunting for lopes opens? Here in Mt it opens Aug 15th.

Thx

Dober

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's usually the 3rd weekend in August. Like was mentioned before, unlimited archery tags. They're certainly not suffering from this winter very much. Let me know if you need more info.

Bob

Last edited by Bobcape; 02/03/12.

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx appreciate it, you know anything about the Buffalo/Ludlow area?

Dober

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The season opens around the 3rd weekend of August. I went up and hunted the buttes on the 30th of Dec, close to Buffalo. The population of deer and goats is really down. Lots of public land, however.

Brad
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Thx appreciate it, you know anything about the Buffalo/Ludlow area?

Dober

I've hunted the area from Buffalo over to Camp Crook. Stuck a good one some years ago up there. Not as much public land, but not too hard to get access either.

Bob

[Linked Image]

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here he is now.

[Linked Image]

He started to get up when I finally approached. If you look closely in the black cheek patch, you can see the "X" the broadhead cut from the coup d'ate.

[Linked Image]

Bob

(Dang! I need to dust that guy!)

Last edited by Bobcape; 02/03/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good looking goat, like those white tips. How close did he decoy for you? I have this dream of a longbow and a decoy and .........

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Love them ivory tips on that goat

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bobcape who mounted that for you?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice lope, and thx for the info.

I'd really like to hunt for lopes with a bow there this fall. What about SW ND? Could a fella possibly get a bow tag for SW N Dak and NW SD and hunt them both? Maybe toss in a Montana tag to make a lope smoker week?... wink

Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NIce buck, especially for bow, Bob!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
pm sent

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Randy Routier offers fantastic spot & stalk hunts for 'lopes and mulies. http://huntsd.net/

Mounts by Dakota Taxidermy in Rapid City.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sherwood; 02/07/12. Reason: photo added

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 51 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,345
Posts18,506,187
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.