Home
Posted By: splattermatic frogg toggs - 02/28/12
Any comments on how well it works. Sporting goods store has it on sale real cheap, as I've never used it, and was wondering if It's any good ?
Posted By: brymoore Re: frogg toggs - 02/28/12
I've used mine on several backpack trips and the jacket usually rides in my pack most of the season.

They work great for Idaho but may be lacking in other environments.
Posted By: Field_Hand Re: frogg toggs - 02/28/12
i tried them on in a store. i hear lots of good things but to me they seemed like the material would tear easily.
Posted By: mudhen Re: frogg toggs - 02/28/12
My impression is that they hold up a lot better on the golf course than they do in the woods or on the mountain.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: frogg toggs - 02/28/12
I asked about them a while back. The consensus was that they fall apart very quickly. They can't take the brush.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: frogg toggs - 02/28/12
"My impression is that they hold up a lot better on the golf course than they do in the woods or on the mountain."

I would look at another option. I used them on my motorcycle, but would not recomend them for hunting.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: frogg toggs - 02/28/12
so sitting in a duck blind or tree stand they would be fine ?
how waterproof are they ? do they soak thru in short order ?
Posted By: davidlea Re: frogg toggs - 02/28/12
I had a set, first outing (fishing) blew up a wicked storm. I pulled the 'toggs out of my backpack and put them on and I swear I would have been drier if I'd gone ahead and jumped in the water. And the added benefit is they do tear easily. No more for me.....
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: frogg toggs - 02/28/12
have a camo set of toggs i keep in deer camp. worked OK in a light mist, but less than ideal when rain got heavy.

have some wooly briar thickets on our place, after a few trips through those in the dark to and from the deer stands, pant bottoms got somewhat shredded up to the knees and started looking like flannel, although they have not ripped yet.

Posted By: yukonal Re: frogg toggs - 02/28/12
Originally Posted by splattermatic
so sitting in a duck blind or tree stand they would be fine ?
how waterproof are they ? do they soak thru in short order ?

The two sets my wife and I [had] shed the rain o.k. But the durability is non-existant. Mine lasted less than a year, hers anout a year. Just for fishing...
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
Although waterproof, they not very durable and, I wouldn't try to sneak up on anything wearing Frogg Toggs...they are really noisy!! For tree stands and motorcycle rides, they would be perfect.
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
Like others have mentioned I feel they're pretty light duty. For inexpensive and yet pretty darn good for most areas (not waterworld) I'd be all over the Red Ledge brand if they have them locally.

Dober
Posted By: stxhunter Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
I've used mine hunting and fishing, but not running through the brush. i like them, bought them 5 yrs ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
They seem perfect for a sunny day at the beach!
Posted By: GrosVentreGeorge Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6016506/1
Posted By: stxhunter Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by ironbender
They seem perfect for a sunny day at the beach!
it was drizzling early on that morning.
Posted By: prairie dog shooter Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
My son and I have a pair. They work well for Boy Scout camp outs and fishing. We have used ours for three years and stayed dry during several days of non stop rain.

I don't think I would trust them to hold up to back country hunting conditions but ours have served well for the use we have.
Posted By: eh76 Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Any comments on how well it works. Sporting goods store has it on sale real cheap, as I've never used it, and was wondering if It's any good ?

A friend of mine bought a set to use on a fishing trip in Canada...in his opinion a waste of $$$$
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
I have used Toggs on two consecutive trips to the Talkeetna mountains in Alaska. Rained about 8-9 days out of ten for both trips. Frogg toggs worked about as good as anything I have used. looked a little frayed and fuzzy from the brush but did not rip or leak. This was a backpack trip not a golf outting so it got used pretty good.

lefty C
Posted By: splattermatic Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
Hmm, mixed reviews. I am just looking at them as cheap keep me dry while chaining up my rig up truck, or outside chain down loads. The most hunting they would see, is sitting along the river, duck hunting. I just wanna know if they'll keep me dry. They look and feel like paper, and do think they would get tore up pretty quick, but at under 30 bucks for a camo set, they're cheaper than slickers, that'll get tore up as well.
Posted By: shatodavis Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
Here's my experience:

I purchased a set for each member of my family for a rafting trip we went on in Idaho. they were light weight and packable. We had one rainy day and the toggs done pretty well.

When we got home my set had some serious river funk to them. my wife decided to wash them. I didn't think anything about it. It actually took the paper fell out of them, they where much quieter and more comfortable. The problem was they didn't repel water anymore. Unfortunately i didn't find this out until on the lake fishing and a storm blew in. I swore off frog togs after that.

about a year later i went on a 4 day weekend fishing trip. I took my normal rain gear but a buddy brought... you guessed it... frogg toggs. Well a cold front came through and we had 3 days of cold, dreary, nasty, wet fishing. I was fine in my Cabela's brand Goretex rain suit. My Buddy was miserable. the Last day after we loaded the boat he walked over to the trash bin and stuffed his new Frogg toggs in the can.
Posted By: brymoore Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
I see these threads and wonder if I bought the only good set of Frogg Toggs. I've worn them in down pours and remained dry. I've worn them in brush and they remained untorn.

They're cheap, lightweight rain gear that has served its purpose for me. I think David Long used to also wear FTs.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
I think the reviews are honest despite being poles apart. I have worn mine to a rainy, sleety football game and felt warm and dry. They're fine for snow blowing the drive, exercise walks - or for the aforementioned tire chaining. But I wouldn't rate them as serious foul weather gear, brush busters, or hunting apparel.

Like most things, they are what they are, and their price hints at what that is.
You and Lefty Carbon have two of the very few positive reviews I've ever seen about FT.

I haven't used them because after looking at them and trying them, they don't feel very durable to me and are way too noisy to suit me.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
/\
||
||
||

What he said!
I must be wrong.
crazy
Posted By: sirius27c Re: frogg toggs - 02/29/12
They work great for something I can carry easily and without much room on my motorcycle. Not the most durable, but for the money, they aren't bad. Try on a pair first though, they must use different vendors. The quality seems pretty consistent, but I have had XL's that are way too tight, and others that border on too big.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: frogg toggs - 03/01/12
Bought a set and tore the jacket the first time out. Not very impressed.
© 24hourcampfire