Home
I just receaved my leatest 243 youth rifle.
Not for me since I stopped using bushnell scopechiefs on 300 mags! I do carry a couple good ones from those days.
'magnum eye brow'

I wish I could remember which GW gave it the TITLE...

"Royal Order of the Scarlet Crescent".

I've had a couple of slight ones. I've seen others with severe.
You mean one of these? I acquired this gem from a combination of causes. I was shooting prone at an elk across a draw higher than me so my rifle was tilted upwards (300 WSM). Also, I'd put on a set of Blizzard flip-up scope caps which stick out the back of the scope almost an inch (I no longer have the rear cap in place). Put it together and whammo!

[Linked Image]
The scar came from Big Stick's 338 RUM (short bastard -grin-), and a couple of steep uphill shots on a mt goat with a short 7mm Shamu produced a steady blood stream on another occasion smile.
I got poked pretty hard in the eyebrow by a Leupold 2.5-8x.

Now before you say you do not believe it and tell me how much eye relief this scope has -- this was on a lightweight .375 H&H Magnum, and like Rockchuck, I was shooting prone and uphill.

The scope did not draw blood, but it sure hurt for a bit!

I moved that scope to a rifle with less recoil, and the .375 H&H Mag now wears a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x with yet another half inch of eye relief. So far, so good... smile

John
I bought a conquest 3-9 for the same reason. A bushy elite 4200 on my .338 WM was one of my favorite scopes optically, but 3.3" of eye relief just wasn't working from either sitting or prone shooting positions.
Rock Chuck,
Did you at least get the elk? Would be a lot of pain to go through for nothing.
I've had 30-06's smack me harder than any of my magnums. So, it's not just unique for magnums.
Worst I ever got was from a short stocked M99 Savage in .308. I didn't bleed, but I did see stars.
I never have, but I only use Leupold's, though.
Originally Posted by doubletap
Rock Chuck,
Did you at least get the elk? Would be a lot of pain to go through for nothing.
Yupper. And he came with the weirdest antlers I've ever seen on an elk.
BTW - it's a darn good thing I wasn't wearing my glasses when I got whanged. That would have REALLY hurt!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Never been cut, but then again I don't shoot any hard kickers.

Closest I've come to scope eye was with my M700 .270win. one night calling coyotes after dark using a spotlight off of a atv. Had a coyote coming in circling to my left so I had to lay across the seat of the machine and shoot while holding the spotlight in my support hand and resting against the rear rack. I got my glasses crushed against my face, but no blood and I got the coyote too.
I have always been prone to swapping shoulders with my rifle if an animal came out on the wrong side. I had a nice little buck walk out to my right one day so I swapped and went leftie to make the shot. Only problem was I was twelve years old shooting a borrowed 300WM shooting 180gr bullets. It gave me a little love tap. Those old TV view redfields were pretty sharp scopes, literally.
The only time that ever happened to me was from a buddies SKS (of all things). I was used to open sights on those, and I tend to get my cheek far up on the stock. He had one of those damned Leapers on it. Rapped me good right in the forehead. Nice cressent shaped cut.

I got bumped one time by my 338-06 gave me a small cut.

Never from a rifle....but my muzzleloader has gotten me a couple times....once I slipped just as I squeezed the trigger on a doe....a twice at the bench. Then I put a scope with more eye relief on it. grin
I got popped by a Rem 740 .30-06 with a jacked-up trigger and a Trashco scope.

Expat
I've got a Savage 99 in 358 Win. It will give me a fat lip if I wrap my thumb over the top of the stock while at the bench. It wears a Weaver K4-W and has never nailed me but did catch one guy at camp. He ended up at the hospital for a couple of stitches.

Dale
I took 10 shots through a 300win mag with an ANPVS-4, You had to bring your face up to open the eyecup. I am a short necked fellow and never get wacked by a scope. But the first shot with that night scope hit me hard. I shot the rest of the string and got hit each time. I think I had a pretty good ANPVS-4 flinch by the time I was done. There was a little blood, but a pretty good bruise.
Not the eyebrow but the nose left handed; I am right handed out of a tree stand. A good bit of blood. When I went for my physical in December my Dr. Said "you have broken your nose what did you do. This was November 2011, I w as shooting my .325 WSM. GRF
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You mean one of these? I acquired this gem from a combination of causes. I was shooting prone at an elk across a draw higher than me so my rifle was tilted upwards (300 WSM). Also, I'd put on a set of Blizzard flip-up scope caps which stick out the back of the scope almost an inch (I no longer have the rear cap in place). Put it together and whammo!

[Linked Image]

Heck RC- that's better than my magnum eyebrow, shooting uphill at a moose 16 yards away, with a .338 Mag with 270/275? gr. Speer handloads.. The bullet caught him frontally just under the chin as he was reaching up for a browse morsel. The bullet exploded when it hit his spine and darned near decapitated him. Did flip him rigjht over on his back (it was a yearling).

Didn't know I was bleeding until it started dripping off my nose.

The other 3 were all with an '06, 180 grain loads.. the SAME '06! ...target shooting, at different times. Ya gotta hang on to them things! smile
I got my first and only scope rash from a 30-06 shooting 130 grain bullets. I had been sitting my stand all afternoon as the temp dropped down into the low teens over six hours. I sit very quiet and still. I had no idea how cold I was until the deer came out and I was shaking so bad I couldn't hold the cross hairs on him. I forced myself to relax and made the shot fine, but I didn't hold onto the rifle. When I went to gut the deer I had the rubber gloves on and the knife out when I noticed I hadn't started on the deer but I already had blood on my hands. Climbing down from the stand and walking out to the deer circulated enough blood through my cold arms and legs that I really got cold. Fortunately my partner showed up and took the knife away from me or I'd likely have cut myself too. I never felt the scope hitting me. Probably a good thing I was so cold.
Oh yes. I have a collection of scars, and it took me quite a lot of shooting and concentrating to get over the flinch. Took that bushy 3200 off the '06 that and put it on my 10/22.

Got a 416 Rigby on the way. Don't think I'll scope it at all.
Not me. It was a 45-70. My naive attempt at 458'ing a Ruger. crazy
300Win mag, 3-10 Shepherd, 200gn TSX, 1st attempt @ a very offensive looking white rock @ 700yds out the window, over the mirror, slightly uphill. I'd shot that rifle/load quite a bit and never so much as bumped my 'brow with any of the 1/2 dozen Leupold's I'd had on top. That Shepherd went away rather quickly after season ended.
It happened only once for me. I have never been one to shy away from recoil. So, I thought I would give 3" sabot slugs a try out of my 12 gauge scopped slug gun. No blood, but damn did it hurt. Why I thought I might need 3" slugs I'll never know. blush
Originally Posted by RS308MX
It happened only once for me. I have never been one to shy away from recoil. So, I thought I would give 3" sabot slugs a try out of my 12 gauge scopped slug gun. No blood, but damn did it hurt. Why I thought I might need 3" slugs I'll never know. blush
Blame Isaac Newton: "for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction". grin
No blood yet...but I have repeatedly had to straighten my damn glasses frames out!

But my favorite is the "baseball cap bill karate chop" to the forehead. wink
A magnum has never got me but my Rem 760 .30-06 with 180's got me when I was a teen. Blood dribbled all the way down into my mouth.
Originally Posted by McCray

But my favorite is the "baseball cap bill karate chop" to the forehead. wink

I've had a couple er three of those.

One at an especially inopportune time. I had jumped a buck one COLD morning and when I thru the rifle up, the hunting cap bill did the chop. Couldn't see nuttin but underside of cap bill. ughh.
Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag pkg rifle w/ Bushnell Sportview (was a poor college kid . . .). Anyway, was sighting it in just after I bought it, and go a little too comfortable - didn't hold it tight enough. Finished sighting it in once I got the blood to slow down to a slight trickle, then went to the infirmary at school - they put some butterflies (?) on it that I had to leave on for 3-4 days.
my brother played hooky from work to hunt the deer opener. he wasn't sure what he was going to use as an excuse but when he sighted his rifle in he got scoped pretty good.

went to work the next day and had a great lie- hurt his head working on his house and that's why he called off.

the janitor walked by and said "you know, that looks like a scope..."

my brother interrupted him with "yeah, does sort of look like that huh?"

lol
I've shot all kinds of "Big Guns" 458, 375, 416 etc etc, but the only one that ever "GOT" me was one of those goofy Thompson contender carbines in 444 marlin, it hit me right between the eyes and buckled my knees and I saw stars. Didn't bleed a lot but I no longer have that little gun.

Bart
TC Encore in 405 win did the deed. Crawled the stock getting in position behind a tree. It is a thumper.
I have plenty of scars on my young body. I just happen to have one partly hidden by my eyebrow from a 300 Winchester Magnum shot from an odd angle at a pig.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I have plenty of scars on my young body. I just happen to have one partly hidden by my eyebrow from a 300 Winchester Magnum shot from an odd angle at a pig.

You mean when you were shooting your daisy the other day..... whistle
I do have a scar from a BB that was shot at me by my older brother.

I ended up breaking the gun over his back. laugh
I do have a scar from a BB that was shot at me by my older brother.

I ended up breaking the gun over his back. laugh

That's TFF...... grin
He hit me in the shoulder from about twenty feet away, the look on his face when I started towards him was priceless. A "Oh chit" face.

It does not help I outweigh him by twenty pounds. grin
He hit me in the shoulder from about twenty feet away, the look on his face when I started towards him was priceless. A "Oh chit" face.

Don't you mean it does help? smile
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Don't you mean it does help? smile

Yes I do! Thank you, Sir. I am not one to type to fast, too many mistakes. smile
I maybe wrong but I beleave Bob Milek sead this first.
I wear one whistle from the bench with a 338 win mag, leupold compact 3x9 and a little stock crawl'n and WHOP... Did not bleed to bad.

Had a buddy wack himself real good with his 338rum. Uphill prone shot, dropped the deer. Looked like the shooter bleed more that the deer did!!!

Scars are more manly than tatoos I was told smile
The mag eyebrow not wacken kin.
I've told this before, but I was hunting last year (or was it year before last?) with a Ruger 30-06 with said bushy 3200 scope on board. The buck came by at very last light and was moving quickly though a narrow opening. I was not at the proper angle and the buttpad was on my bicep rather than the shoulder, and WAP! Ruined a nice pair of thinsulated deerskin gloves and got blood all over my clothes. It was running off the end of my nose, not dripping. It took a couple weeks for that one to close up. Probably should have gone and had stitches installed.

Believe I'll install the NECG peep on the 416 and call it good.
I (thankfully) never have, though I've shot plenty of Big Bores and magnums. Maybe that's the secret... I'm defensive when I shoot them! grin

But my second son has twice... from the same rifle, same load, same circumstances. On 2 moose hunts with his Rem 700 in 338 WM. The 3 - 9 X 40 Leupold got him! First time above the eye and second time on the nose... blood both times, but he was unaware of it until I told him! grin

But the worst I've witnessed was quite a few years ago at a military range in Nova Scotia just outside Halifax. About 100 hunters were sighting in rifles and all from prone. The guy on my right was well built in his 30's, shooting a handloaded lever-action Winchester in 45-70, with a BIG scope... from PRONE! (I did mention that didn't I?).

At the command to "commence firing" all sorts of pandemonium broke loose and I just happened to notice that the big guy with the big gun and the big scope wasn't shooting anymore... in fact he was out cold with what looked like a large dose of red liquid oozing from his forehead! Then came the command: "cease fire"!!!

It was funny... but not! frown

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
I loaded three, 30 grain pellets of 777 while sighting in a BP rifle. Problem was, the pellets were stacked two high in the package and were lightly stuck together. So those three pellets were ACTUALLY 6 pellets or 180 grains! That's 30 grains over maximum load!
I was not expecting what happened next!

The barrel held up but the Nikon kissed my forehead and drew blood.
I've gotten it three times while shooting at game. Once on an awkward angle with my 45/70, once while shooting prone with my muzzleloader in NW Iowa in late season, once in Colorado by my sporter weight 300 RUM and 200 gr Accubonds. That one was a 589 yard shot on an elk that required a less than firm hold in order to be steady due to the angle of the only rest available. Got my game all three times. I've been nailed at the range once by an Encore .375 H&H and once by a model 70 264 WM.

My ex-BIL manages 1-2 per year. No matter what scope he uses on his ML or 30-06, he is hunkered down within 2in of the scope.

I always asked if he was sure that he was right eye dominant and he said that he could never figure it out(even with the thumb test)

Who knows!

I have had one and it hurt like hell!
I let a buddy shot my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington with a 3.5 power Weaver scope on it. He was shooting prone and I was just about to tell him he was creepping up on the scope when the gun went off and his head just dropped. He was out cold and bleeding like a stuck pig!
Andy
Not a rifle. 12 Gauge 870 Remington, 3" 2 oz #4 turkey load. I was laying prone on the side of a small drainage ditch with my buddy calling from behind me. The Tom came from my right and I shoot left handed so I was in an awkward position. I shot when the birds head filled my 2 1/2 power scope at 10 yards. It was my very first turkey and I was so excited that I didn't even realize that I was bleeding until my partner told me.
Does anybody remember the old Weatherby catalogs they used to print years ago?(1960's) They would put out a copy every other year or so with Weatherby owners showing off their trophies from around the world. Myself and my grade school hunting buddies would drool over the pictures for hours.....for grins I would take a fine line pencil and draw little circular stitch marks above all their shooting eyes.....we thought it was funny. I think we were just jealous that we wern't the ones posing with all those nice critters.
Originally Posted by boomwack
I wear one whistle from the bench with a 338 win mag, leupold compact 3x9 and a little stock crawl'n and WHOP... Did not bleed to bad.

Had a buddy wack himself real good with his 338rum. Uphill prone shot, dropped the deer. Looked like the shooter bleed more that the deer did!!!

Scars are more manly than tatoos I was told smile

Depends on where they are. But there ain't nobody gonna tatoo my circumsized "thing"....
© 24hourcampfire