Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
He hit me in the shoulder from about twenty feet away, the look on his face when I started towards him was priceless. A "Oh chit" face.

It does not help I outweigh him by twenty pounds. grin

Don't you mean it does help? smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
He hit me in the shoulder from about twenty feet away, the look on his face when I started towards him was priceless. A "Oh chit" face.

It does not help I outweigh him by twenty pounds. grin

Don't you mean it does help? smile

Yes I do! Thank you, Sir. I am not one to type to fast, too many mistakes. smile

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I maybe wrong but I beleave Bob Milek sead this first.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear one whistle from the bench with a 338 win mag, leupold compact 3x9 and a little stock crawl'n and WHOP... Did not bleed to bad.

Had a buddy wack himself real good with his 338rum. Uphill prone shot, dropped the deer. Looked like the shooter bleed more that the deer did!!!

Scars are more manly than tatoos I was told smile

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
The mag eyebrow not wacken kin.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've told this before, but I was hunting last year (or was it year before last?) with a Ruger 30-06 with said bushy 3200 scope on board. The buck came by at very last light and was moving quickly though a narrow opening. I was not at the proper angle and the buttpad was on my bicep rather than the shoulder, and WAP! Ruined a nice pair of thinsulated deerskin gloves and got blood all over my clothes. It was running off the end of my nose, not dripping. It took a couple weeks for that one to close up. Probably should have gone and had stitches installed.

Believe I'll install the NECG peep on the 416 and call it good.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I (thankfully) never have, though I've shot plenty of Big Bores and magnums. Maybe that's the secret... I'm defensive when I shoot them! grin

But my second son has twice... from the same rifle, same load, same circumstances. On 2 moose hunts with his Rem 700 in 338 WM. The 3 - 9 X 40 Leupold got him! First time above the eye and second time on the nose... blood both times, but he was unaware of it until I told him! grin

But the worst I've witnessed was quite a few years ago at a military range in Nova Scotia just outside Halifax. About 100 hunters were sighting in rifles and all from prone. The guy on my right was well built in his 30's, shooting a handloaded lever-action Winchester in 45-70, with a BIG scope... from PRONE! (I did mention that didn't I?).

At the command to "commence firing" all sorts of pandemonium broke loose and I just happened to notice that the big guy with the big gun and the big scope wasn't shooting anymore... in fact he was out cold with what looked like a large dose of red liquid oozing from his forehead! Then came the command: "cease fire"!!!

It was funny... but not! frown

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 05/08/12.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I loaded three, 30 grain pellets of 777 while sighting in a BP rifle. Problem was, the pellets were stacked two high in the package and were lightly stuck together. So those three pellets were ACTUALLY 6 pellets or 180 grains! That's 30 grains over maximum load!
I was not expecting what happened next!

The barrel held up but the Nikon kissed my forehead and drew blood.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've gotten it three times while shooting at game. Once on an awkward angle with my 45/70, once while shooting prone with my muzzleloader in NW Iowa in late season, once in Colorado by my sporter weight 300 RUM and 200 gr Accubonds. That one was a 589 yard shot on an elk that required a less than firm hold in order to be steady due to the angle of the only rest available. Got my game all three times. I've been nailed at the range once by an Encore .375 H&H and once by a model 70 264 WM.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My ex-BIL manages 1-2 per year. No matter what scope he uses on his ML or 30-06, he is hunkered down within 2in of the scope.

I always asked if he was sure that he was right eye dominant and he said that he could never figure it out(even with the thumb test)

Who knows!

I have had one and it hurt like hell!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I let a buddy shot my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington with a 3.5 power Weaver scope on it. He was shooting prone and I was just about to tell him he was creepping up on the scope when the gun went off and his head just dropped. He was out cold and bleeding like a stuck pig!
Andy

Women really don't like men just some make better pets than others.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not a rifle. 12 Gauge 870 Remington, 3" 2 oz #4 turkey load. I was laying prone on the side of a small drainage ditch with my buddy calling from behind me. The Tom came from my right and I shoot left handed so I was in an awkward position. I shot when the birds head filled my 2 1/2 power scope at 10 yards. It was my very first turkey and I was so excited that I didn't even realize that I was bleeding until my partner told me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anybody remember the old Weatherby catalogs they used to print years ago?(1960's) They would put out a copy every other year or so with Weatherby owners showing off their trophies from around the world. Myself and my grade school hunting buddies would drool over the pictures for hours.....for grins I would take a fine line pencil and draw little circular stitch marks above all their shooting eyes.....we thought it was funny. I think we were just jealous that we wern't the ones posing with all those nice critters.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by boomwack
I wear one whistle from the bench with a 338 win mag, leupold compact 3x9 and a little stock crawl'n and WHOP... Did not bleed to bad.

Had a buddy wack himself real good with his 338rum. Uphill prone shot, dropped the deer. Looked like the shooter bleed more that the deer did!!!

Scars are more manly than tatoos I was told smile

Depends on where they are. But there ain't nobody gonna tatoo my circumsized "thing"....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,732
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.