Home
Posted By: MarkG 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 04/20/13
I have a 30 degree Big Agnes down bag that I recently got a good deal on. Some of you guys turned me on to the Kifaru Woobie in an earlier thread. I was wondering how much protection/ warmth do you think that would add to my 30 degree bag? Anyone have any experience here with something similar?
I don't even know what a woobie is but in my bed roll, I carry a sleeping bag and a wool blanket and a sheet and a pillow case and a stocking cap.
That way I can make several different arrangements to suit the needs, with the most extreme being wrapped in the sheet with the wool blanket enveloped under and over me inside the bag with the stocking cap on. I'm gonna say that arrangement would take a 30 degree bag easily down to zero. I put a down jacket or such in the pillow case and use it as a ta-da pillow.
Posted By: kawi Re: 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 04/21/13
Woobie? Blond,brunet,redhead all could be spendy and not wearth packen.grin
Now the Woobie plus humm??
Posted By: 444Matt Re: 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 04/21/13
http://kitup.military.com/2006/11/woobie_warmth.html

This is what I call a woobie, officially I think its labeled as a poncho liner.
Terrible bad but one still has to ask??
Posted By: MarkG Re: 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 04/21/13
Originally Posted by kawi
Terrible bad but one still has to ask??

I don't get it??? lol
Posted By: MarkG Re: 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 04/21/13
Woobie, Woobie, Woobie !!!

[Linked Image]

Is it supposed to be a shelter half or poncho or what?
It's not going t add much, and if it is any where close to waterproof, that won't let body moisture escape and you get colder yet. A 30 degree bag is essentially a summer bag.

Go buy a decent bag. That is one thing you don't scrimp on. I can make a $100 rifle work, but sure can't keep warm in a $50 bag
Posted By: brdana Re: 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 04/23/13
I have a one and I use it all of the time. I would say 15 to 20 degrees. The quilt plus a good 20 degree bag keeps me pretty warm. My favorite use is in my pack on sits.
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Is it supposed to be a shelter half or poncho or what?

It is a poncho liner, buttons inside a poncho. Never seen one buttoned inside a poncho. Mine goes everywhere with me, Kuwait, Korea, Iraq, Kyrgistan, Afghanistan and Qatar!
Posted By: MarkG Re: 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 04/24/13
Thanks for the replys.. I think I will just use my 30 degree down bag for scouting trips and bow hunts, its not a junk bag it was still a $200 bag, its 650 down & not 800 down. It will work for 90% of my needs. If I need more I will invest in a good 0 degree down bag.
Posted By: las Re: 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 05/01/13
There are a number of ways to extend the downward range of a bag, maybe even to reach it's advertised rating.... I just figure ratings all lie by 15 to 20 degrees on the wrong side and go from there.

Good warm coverings for your head and neck while you sleep will probably be the lightest and most compact addition you can do, such as a neck-gaiter and/or a neck-covering ski mask, balaclava or largish stocking cap that can be pulled well down.

Wearing additional clothes - such as thermal long johns, or even your (dry) hunting clothes or spare set to bed will help. I love putting on a thick pair of dry socks before crawling in - dunno if it helps in the heat department, but it surely feels decadent!

We've been out enough in marginal temp/bag conditions that now the Lab thinks he belongs in the bag with me... The Dachshund we used to have didn't ever know there was any other way. smile
Originally Posted by saddlesore
It's not going t add much, and if it is any where close to waterproof, that won't let body moisture escape and you get colder yet. A 30 degree bag is essentially a summer bag.

Go buy a decent bag. That is one thing you don't scrimp on. I can make a $100 rifle work, but sure can't keep warm in a $50 bag

+1

I like the bags I use in the trailer to be rated for about -10F and even then I use a wool blanket on top. Lets me sleep in my skivvies on nicer nights and stay warm on colder ones.
I've never seen a woobie but I supplement my Kelty mummy bag with a polar fleece bag liner, wool toboggan, and if necessary, clean & dry polypro socks and long underwear. I never sleep cold.

My pre-1840 winter sleeping gear consist of two flannel sheets and a therma-rest hidden under a candy stripe Hudson Bay blanket and a scarlet Whitney blanket. I wear the same blue wool toboggan, wool socks and have flannel pajamas if needed.

The pre-1840 arrangement is more comfortable IMO but much heavier and difficult to pack.
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
... hidden under a candy stripe Hudson Bay blanket ...

Same kind of blanket I use. Heavy and warm.

The pre-1840 arrangement is more comfortable IMO but much heavier and difficult to pack.

Not when it's in the trailer... smile
I sold my trailer. Camp looks like this now.

[Linked Image]

Or this, if I can't find a big piece of firewood to snuggle up to.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gmsemel Re: 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 05/04/13
Well all you need is a good wool blanket or two, and you will stay warm down to zero at least, I know first hand on that and my current bag is not as good as the one you have! The key is to layer and stay dry, I have found even if you feel dry you many not be. Also, its a lot easier to stay dry and warm with temps near zero that in the 20's to 40's and it damp. Wear a good wool cap and dry wool socks. And if you are to warm shed some layers or blanket, you don't want to sweat. Of course weight is a factor in your back packing Then again a good dog its worth his weight in gold when its really cold out.
Posted By: las Re: 30 Degree Bag + Woobie =?? - 05/04/13
PC statement: "Significant others" smile - in my case a wife - work well also. Or did.

Trouble is , since "the change" she gets warm faster than I do and throws the covers off.

We quit the double bag some years back. The Lab and I seem compatible tho.... smile Besides, she's semi-allergic to dog.

Be adaptable.... smile
© 24hourcampfire