Print Thread
Hop To
M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a 30 degree Big Agnes down bag that I recently got a good deal on. Some of you guys turned me on to the Kifaru Woobie in an earlier thread. I was wondering how much protection/ warmth do you think that would add to my 30 degree bag? Anyone have any experience here with something similar?

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't even know what a woobie is but in my bed roll, I carry a sleeping bag and a wool blanket and a sheet and a pillow case and a stocking cap.
That way I can make several different arrangements to suit the needs, with the most extreme being wrapped in the sheet with the wool blanket enveloped under and over me inside the bag with the stocking cap on. I'm gonna say that arrangement would take a 30 degree bag easily down to zero. I put a down jacket or such in the pillow case and use it as a ta-da pillow.

Aim for the exit hole.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Woobie? Blond,brunet,redhead all could be spendy and not wearth packen.grin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Now the Woobie plus humm??

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
http://kitup.military.com/2006/11/woobie_warmth.html

This is what I call a woobie, officially I think its labeled as a poncho liner.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Terrible bad but one still has to ask??

M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kawi
Terrible bad but one still has to ask??

I don't get it??? lol

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Woobie, Woobie, Woobie !!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MarkG; 04/21/13.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is it supposed to be a shelter half or poncho or what?

Aim for the exit hole.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
It's not going t add much, and if it is any where close to waterproof, that won't let body moisture escape and you get colder yet. A 30 degree bag is essentially a summer bag.

Go buy a decent bag. That is one thing you don't scrimp on. I can make a $100 rifle work, but sure can't keep warm in a $50 bag

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/22/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a one and I use it all of the time. I would say 15 to 20 degrees. The quilt plus a good 20 degree bag keeps me pretty warm. My favorite use is in my pack on sits.

Brad
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Is it supposed to be a shelter half or poncho or what?

It is a poncho liner, buttons inside a poncho. Never seen one buttoned inside a poncho. Mine goes everywhere with me, Kuwait, Korea, Iraq, Kyrgistan, Afghanistan and Qatar!

M
MarkG Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the replys.. I think I will just use my 30 degree down bag for scouting trips and bow hunts, its not a junk bag it was still a $200 bag, its 650 down & not 800 down. It will work for 90% of my needs. If I need more I will invest in a good 0 degree down bag.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
There are a number of ways to extend the downward range of a bag, maybe even to reach it's advertised rating.... I just figure ratings all lie by 15 to 20 degrees on the wrong side and go from there.

Good warm coverings for your head and neck while you sleep will probably be the lightest and most compact addition you can do, such as a neck-gaiter and/or a neck-covering ski mask, balaclava or largish stocking cap that can be pulled well down.

Wearing additional clothes - such as thermal long johns, or even your (dry) hunting clothes or spare set to bed will help. I love putting on a thick pair of dry socks before crawling in - dunno if it helps in the heat department, but it surely feels decadent!

We've been out enough in marginal temp/bag conditions that now the Lab thinks he belongs in the bag with me... The Dachshund we used to have didn't ever know there was any other way. smile

Last edited by las; 05/01/13.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
It's not going t add much, and if it is any where close to waterproof, that won't let body moisture escape and you get colder yet. A 30 degree bag is essentially a summer bag.

Go buy a decent bag. That is one thing you don't scrimp on. I can make a $100 rifle work, but sure can't keep warm in a $50 bag

+1

I like the bags I use in the trailer to be rated for about -10F and even then I use a wool blanket on top. Lets me sleep in my skivvies on nicer nights and stay warm on colder ones.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never seen a woobie but I supplement my Kelty mummy bag with a polar fleece bag liner, wool toboggan, and if necessary, clean & dry polypro socks and long underwear. I never sleep cold.

My pre-1840 winter sleeping gear consist of two flannel sheets and a therma-rest hidden under a candy stripe Hudson Bay blanket and a scarlet Whitney blanket. I wear the same blue wool toboggan, wool socks and have flannel pajamas if needed.

The pre-1840 arrangement is more comfortable IMO but much heavier and difficult to pack.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
... hidden under a candy stripe Hudson Bay blanket ...

Same kind of blanket I use. Heavy and warm.

The pre-1840 arrangement is more comfortable IMO but much heavier and difficult to pack.

Not when it's in the trailer... smile

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/02/13.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sold my trailer. Camp looks like this now.

[Linked Image]

Or this, if I can't find a big piece of firewood to snuggle up to.
[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well all you need is a good wool blanket or two, and you will stay warm down to zero at least, I know first hand on that and my current bag is not as good as the one you have! The key is to layer and stay dry, I have found even if you feel dry you many not be. Also, its a lot easier to stay dry and warm with temps near zero that in the 20's to 40's and it damp. Wear a good wool cap and dry wool socks. And if you are to warm shed some layers or blanket, you don't want to sweat. Of course weight is a factor in your back packing Then again a good dog its worth his weight in gold when its really cold out.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
PC statement: "Significant others" smile - in my case a wife - work well also. Or did.

Trouble is , since "the change" she gets warm faster than I do and throws the covers off.

We quit the double bag some years back. The Lab and I seem compatible tho.... smile Besides, she's semi-allergic to dog.

Be adaptable.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 257_X_50, 71 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,409
Posts18,507,028
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.